Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
They fixed the part that was bad (tiered eligibility) and broke the part that worked well (free and easy once you got an appointment)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

euphronius posted:

didn’t they have 3 tiers in the initial roll out and everyone complained so they added like 6 sub tiers to tier 1

yes, but they also got vaccines to rural nursing homes, etc loving fast for phase 1A and just did everyone up as they rolled through

it was Phase 1C Tier 1 when goons started crossing state lines and paying attention to their BMI (Jan/Feb 2021) and websites devoted to scraping vaccine appointments started to pop up

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
https://twitter.com/sujana94/status/1704317227720151536

Health care workers seeing more blood clots even when on patients are on anticoagulants. I'm sure this is fine.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jizzny Princess posted:

Health care workers seeing more blood clots even when on patients are on anticoagulants. I'm sure this is fine.

the clot shot strikes again

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

dxt posted:

They fixed the part that was bad (tiered eligibility) and broke the part that worked well (free and easy once you got an appointment)

yeah the tiers were a useful idea in concept that was immediately destroyed by the brunch crab bucket, sending the first batches to rural nursing homes and poo poo: a+ great idea; the whole thing where you had to consult a series of tables to determine whether your combination of age, bmi, additional risk factors, occupation, location, birth sign and blood type rendered you eligible any given week: dumb as gently caress

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
IIRC someone posted a paper in here once talking about how the clotting mechanism due to covid differed from the usual one, which would explain why anticoagulants maybe aren't working so great

Apr 7, 2003

I keep sports radio on during the work day for background noise and there have been a shitload of people (callers, guests, hosts) complaining about "getting over a cold" or "having the flu" in the past few weeks. Just that normal late summer cold that happens all the time

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

euphronius posted:

didn’t they have 3 tiers in the initial roll out and everyone complained so they added like 6 sub tiers to tier 1

My favorite part of this was when somebody in charge of something in my state pressed the wrong button and accidentally sent out ten or fifteen thousand invites to people who were not yet eligible. This caused a serious moral crisis for many while I boogied down to the convention center to get in line

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
fyi kid doses might be coming in. I checked in my city and one CVS is showing PM appts so I booked one for Friday.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Jizzny Princess posted:

ahem

vaxxed??????

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

sonatinas posted:

fyi kid doses might be coming in. I checked in my city and one CVS is showing PM appts so I booked one for Friday.

Thank you! I think we will still have to wait for our pediatrician's office to get them since CVS/Walgreens/etc. generally don't seem to administer <12s.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they need to move the vax schedule up to before school starts

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

wouldn't help, kids can't get covid

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

kids don't get or spread covid

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

euphronius posted:

in addition to Covid Doesn't Spread In Schools

what they (within what would ever possibly happen on a public health stage) really need to do is move the vax schedule to be 2X a year, once in early August and again in early December.

obviously the real schedule should be Updated Variant yearly and then freely available with no timeline gatekeeping but lol at that

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

anyone know of a Covid safe dentist in the Pacific Northwest?

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

sonatinas posted:

Fireside Nut posted:

Thank you! I think we will still have to wait for our pediatrician's office to get them since CVS/Walgreens/etc. generally don't seem to administer <12s.

Need to amend my post - there is one CVS about a half hour from here that at least does >5! Scheduled to get one kiddo vaxxed in a few days! :toot:

THANK YOU, sonatinas

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

euphronius posted:

Exactly. While I understand the inclination for the regulatory bodies to view all things Covid vaccine in terms of 'flu season' and in full recognition that overall pediatric vaccine uptake is pathetic, I still have to think the benefits of getting kids vaxxed prior to school would be far more helpful then having titers maxed in Jan/Feb of the following year. It hurts to say this, but it might help... flatten the curve... in schools, at least lmao

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
ultimately there's no solution that relies only on the vaccine, even with 100% uptake.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Gunshow Poophole posted:

ultimately there's no solution that relies only on the vaccine, even with 100% uptake.

It happened ONE loving TIME, and even then citizens had to form mobs to hunt down vaxx dodgers and inject them to keep polio from killing and maiming children.

We couldn't even keep Applebee's closed for a whole month.

Edit: snipped out the doomer poo poo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mycomancy has issued a correction as of 20:08 on Sep 20, 2023

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

mycomancy posted:

We, as a species, deserve what's coming for us in the next decade.

jesus christ. you first, dipshit.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mycomancy posted:

I don't, I'm pure of spirit

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Well I was able to get an appointment for my vax at Walgreens next tuesday (I went to CVS and got my flu shot yesterday since they didn't have the covid ones in yet). I'd go earlier but I've had boosters in the past that laid me out for a day, and I honestly need to work so have to wait until my day off. Boy howdy I can't wait to spend $200 on this while our government sends billions of dollars to nazis and getting ready to go to war with China for bullshit reasons.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Sitting in Anatomy and Physiology (boring, easy) and one other person put on a lovely black surgical after seeing me in mine. Healthcare education!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mycomancy posted:

No.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What's the latest on Tylenol or ibuprofen post COVID booster shot? I have a bit of a headache that I'd like to take something for but I don't want to mess with the efficacy of the vaccine doing it's thing.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

U-DO Burger posted:

I am really wondering if they took Al-Aly out of context or something in this NPR article from April because afaik it doesn't really match up well with anything else he's said over the years.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/04/14/1169216517/youre-less-likely-to-get-long-covid-after-a-second-infection-than-a-first

also the analogy at the end is still amazingly bad lol

I've also been confused by this. The NPR article that quoted him was somewhat positive news. But nothing else I've read from him sounds like that.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I've also been confused by this. The NPR article that quoted him was somewhat positive news. But nothing else I've read from him sounds like that.

Pod Person Al-Aly

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Maybe some clarity here, he recently did a podcast with Eric Topol

https://erictopol.substack.com/p/ziyad-al-aly-illuminating-long-covid#details

confusing scientist posted:

Ziyad Al-Aly (16:57):

This is exactly right. So a lot of people sort of interpreted it as we're trying to evaluate the risk of second infection versus the first, or whether the second infection is more mild or more severe than the first. That's not really the study question. So what we did, we sort of said that now we know a lot of people had a first infection that's already happened to these people. They cannot go back and erase it or do anything about it. They already had a first infection. What's the most important question for somebody who had a prior infection going forward? Does it matter to me or is it helpful to me to protect myself from the second infection? Right. So we designed the study and arguably designed a little bit was confusing to some people in the media. We designed the study to evaluate the risk of reinfection versus a counterfactual of no reinfection.

(17:50):

So basically if you have two people who have equal characteristics at baseline, everything equal, they had a first infection, one protected himself or herself from getting a second infection and the other one did not and then got a second infection. What are the outcomes in the person who did not get a second infection versus a person who got a second infection? And the results are very, very clear that a second infection or reinfection is consequential. It adds or contributes additional risks both in the acute phase, it can put even reinfection can put people in the hospital, can also result in some death that's very, very clear in our data and is very clear in other data as well and can also contribute risk of long. So I think the best interpretation for this is that for people to think that two infections are worse than one and three are worse than two, so two infections are worse than one and three are worse than two.

(18:46):

But we've learned a lot from this paper because I definitely agree and I've seen a lot of not the right interpretation for it. We discovered that America does not like counterfactual thinking. It's really hard to explain counterfactual thinking, but that's really what we thought about as the most important question to answer. It isn't really whether a second infection is really milder or more severe, and at first is more like if you were to do something about it, does it really help you to prevent yourself from getting a second infection or a third infection? For us to design the study to answer this specific question, we compared reinfection to no reinfection and we thought we wrote it very clearly still some headlines where, oh, these are comparing a second infection to a first infection, which that's was not our intent. We didn't really design this set this way.

(19:42):

As a matter of fact, we had a little bit of a hunch that it might be misinterpreted this way at the very, very last minute. In the copy editing stage, I inserted a sentence in the discussion that our results and our work should not be interpreted as a comparison of a second infection versus first, I hope the editor is not listening. I inserted this at the last minute in the copy editing stage in the limitation section to help people understand that this is not an evaluation or a competitive evaluation of the risks of the second infection versus the first, but more a second infection versus no second infection.

Actually no, I'm still confused. Maybe I can square it with a golden path where's he's not saying reinfections stack risk, but still increase it to some degree?

npr al-aly posted:

"I sort of liken it to Russian Roulette," Al-Aly says. "The odds at the individual level of getting long COVID after a second infection versus the first is lower for any individual person."
r
Such a weird analogy. Leaving aside that it seemingly contradicts every other interview he's given, how is it Russian roulette if your odds get better after every trigger pull?

Raskolnikov2089 has issued a correction as of 18:51 on Sep 20, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

tangy yet delightful posted:

What's the latest on Tylenol or ibuprofen post COVID booster shot? I have a bit of a headache that I'd like to take something for but I don't want to mess with the efficacy of the vaccine doing it's thing.

I haven't seen anything conclusive and I don't believe there's any particular consensus.

A couple studies way earlier on suggested that some NSAIDs' distant knock-on immune-suppressing effects MIGHT mess with the immune system's reaction to the vaccine, but that's a pretty complicated pathway and assumption.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Just got 6 test to treat tests delivered to my home via UPS next day air, no tracking # email lol

Slight problem though, all of them expired on 5/11/23 and this is with stickers over the original package expiration date.. guess I'll try and contact them about getting "the tools" that "we have".

edit: emailed and got this back,
"Thank you for reaching out! The FDA granted an additional 15 months to certain test kits. Thank you for providing your test expiration date and LOT number. The new expiration date for your test kits is December 11, 2023."

Time to sharpie the correct date on the test boxes.

tangy yet delightful has issued a correction as of 22:32 on Sep 20, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I haven't seen anything conclusive and I don't believe there's any particular consensus.

A couple studies way earlier on suggested that some NSAIDs' distant knock-on immune-suppressing effects MIGHT mess with the immune system's reaction to the vaccine, but that's a pretty complicated pathway and assumption.

Excellent I'll drug up, thanks.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

fosborb posted:

yes, but they also got vaccines to rural nursing homes, etc loving fast for phase 1A and just did everyone up as they rolled through

1A was loving crazy, I got my first vaccine from a dentist

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Just got 6 test to treat tests delivered to my home via UPS next day air, no tracking # email lol

Slight problem though, all of them expired on 5/11/23 and this is with stickers over the original package expiration date.. guess I'll try and contact them about getting "the tools" that "we have".

tribe hav tuul

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

There is apparently a variant of COVID going around that manifests mostly with bad cold symptoms

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

anyway im reading a lot of social media posts about people with "just colds" who are desperately confining themselves to bed all day to try and get better

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
just added a moderna to my pfizer stack. no vax card rules

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

My understanding is that as long as you don't take it prophylactically and, instead, wait for symptoms to actually develop (e.g., at least a few hours afterwards) it should be fine.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Cup Runneth Over posted:

anyway im reading a lot of social media posts about people with "just colds" who are desperately confining themselves to bed all day to try and get better

They tested once with an expired RAT they found in the trunk of their car, what else do you want them to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/luckytran/status/1704556963718156797?s=20

so they're worried and doing too little, too late, then