Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

CitizenKain posted:

Cool, we in the network team are getting tickets about people running into problems running Teams while remote and possibly not on company equipment.

I think there was an advisory yesterday about Teams having issues on Android devices. Worth taking a look.

CitizenKain posted:

The tickets are so poorly entered that even the managers are upset at how little information is.

Fun thing: we are a Citrix shop and it has been Decreed that everything must be in Citrix. Even apps that you really shouldn't. Like Teams.

Oh, this user had a problem when on their cell phone and not in one of our branches.

E: lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Disc golf fuckin' rules. Who doesn't love throwing frisbees in the woods with friends?

Ball golf is fun, too, but that poo poo is expensive.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I've been playing disc golf for a decade, loving love it.

One of my old bosses said that they had a work retreat day out at a difficult ski hill course lol. He said most of them would have rather had just worked than take a hike in the sun.

I'm just a few feet short of 400' which is also cool.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Rotten Cookies posted:

Disc golf fuckin' rules. Who doesn't love throwing frisbees in the woods with friends?

Ball golf is fun, too, but that poo poo is expensive.

I do top golf, or a driving range. I'm just here to wack some balls.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

CLAM DOWN posted:

every oracle product ever made is absolute poo poo-tier garbage for morons and simpletons

change my mind

They acquired the company that created ZFS and ZFS is cool and good.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Thanks Ants posted:

People lose their poo poo when phones don't work, so as much as it's fine to shop around I would try and steer clear of grabbing a trunk and 3CX and building it out yourself for 50 locations and 250 handsets, because then you're the phone guy.

Zoom Phone looks alright, and they publish their prices: https://www.zoom.us/pricing/zoom-phone

gently caress, 8x8 by itself at 200 lines and no minutes or bullshit is like half that spend. Who is using anything but cloud hosted phone systems in 2023 and why? (It's me I have a couple lovely local hosted phone systems that I'm prying out of stakeholders ancient hands)

Re: golf, it's mostly ethical to play at your local muni course. In my area, municipal golf courses are owned and run by the county Forest preserve, and are an excuse to keep having wetlands and local flora rather than fuckhead developers bulldozing the land.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Kibner posted:

Every rule has an exception.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Silly Newbie posted:

gently caress, 8x8 by itself at 200 lines and no minutes or bullshit is like half that spend. Who is using anything but cloud hosted phone systems in 2023 and why? (It's me I have a couple lovely local hosted phone systems that I'm prying out of stakeholders ancient hands)

The problem with 8x8 though is that I'm convinced the backend systems are a tyre fire and their support are trained to look for a single dropped packet over a 24 hour period and blame everything on the network.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

devmd01 posted:

Way back when we originally set up Okta they basically wanted to just give the service account domain admin. Lmfao hell no, it got very restricted write access to the regular user and contractor OUs, and a specific sub-OU for the groups we generate with Okta rules and push down to AD.

It only gets read to the elevated admin accounts OU so we can import them for sso to AAD.

Exactly,

If I am not mistaken Azure AD Connect comes with built-in DCACLS scripts to "hairpin" the accounts even the exact attributes it needs to read/write. I'm honestly dumbfounded why Okta didn't do the same thing?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

The problem with 8x8 though is that I'm convinced the backend systems are a tyre fire and their support are trained to look for a single dropped packet over a 24 hour period and blame everything on the network.

It's been close to a decade since I've worked with 8x8 but you're correct.

Most of these type vendors are fine for normal offices. But if your business relies on phones for sales calls for example I'd look elsewhere.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Kibner posted:

Products created before Oracle bought a company do not count as Oracle products for purposes of this argument.

There's lots of good functionality in some Oracle products, but the products as a whole are all poo poo because Oracle will shittify them in pursuit of revenue.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Buying Sun and then wanting license payments for anybody installing Java on a commercial desktop helped finally kill off Java, so that’s a good thing they did

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Silly Newbie posted:

Re: golf, it's mostly ethical to play at your local muni course. In my area, municipal golf courses are owned and run by the county Forest preserve, and are an excuse to keep having wetlands and local flora rather than fuckhead developers bulldozing the land.

Thanks Ants posted:

I was the project lead on a migration project from an on-premise NEC SV9100, to 8x8.

Honestly...besides porting phone numbers from 5 different carriers (nightmare), it was a pretty smooth experience. We completed the rollout in October 2020, and I left that org in April 2023. During that time, I believe there were about 2 major outages, and a handful of other issues (SSO outages, voicemail outages) etc but overall it was great.

I now manage a cloud hosted 3CX solution and want to kill myself. 8x8 was so good to me.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Not golf or Oracle related (though I despise both):

We recently cancelled our landline and now I realize how lovely cell phone reception in our house really is.

What are y'all using to boost cell signal? I see cell phone signal boosters but they're $600 and look very complicated to install. Once upon a time $job-3 also tried one of those antennas that connects to the internet and sends your signal that way.

Any advice here?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Agrikk posted:

We recently cancelled our landline and now I realize how lovely cell phone reception in our house really is.

What are y'all using to boost cell signal? I see cell phone signal boosters but they're $600 and look very complicated to install. Once upon a time $job-3 also tried one of those antennas that connects to the internet and sends your signal that way.

Any advice here?

I don't have any advice on cell signal boosting but tangentially related: do your phones not offer wifi calling? I have terrible reception in my place but I don't know the difference since I use the wifi connection for everything (including calls).

*Completely disregard if you're trying to boost the signal to a hotspot

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No calls, only texts.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

Any advice here?

Wi-Fi calling. Even the networks (in :britain: at least) have given up with indoor reception products unless you're an enterprise customer building something out for 2000 employees.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Agrikk posted:

Any advice here?

See if your provider offers a femtocell device. The major ones all offer them. It's like having a tiny cell tower in your house.

tmo https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/4g-lte-cellspot
vz https://www.verizon.com/products/verizon-lte-network-extender/
att https://www.att.com/buy/accessories/Specialty-Items/att-cell-booster.html?q=cell%20booster

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Hughmoris posted:

wifi calling?

Thanks Ants posted:

Wi-Fi calling.

Wifi calling, precious?

How am I only hearing about this today? Goddrat. It took me ten seconds to turn it on and I hope this works.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I can never tell if wifi calling is working right but there's a cell tower on my apartment's roof so it doesn't really matter

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's on your roof then you're probably connecting to a different one

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

WiFi calling is amazing. It's like 20+ minute drive for me to get cell service. And the microcells that connect to your home Internet are pretty much dead. Anyone who comes to visit gets WiFi calling turned on.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Someone in IT only learning about WiFi calling in 2023 thanks to this thread really is something. I have been using it for like seven or 8 years.

I love this happened here

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The dude set up an IVR so that when you call his house it says "press 1 to speak to..." and goes through his whole family. He runs a datacenter in his house. An absolute AWS guru.

Just goes to show you how much tech knowledge there is out there, lol.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 21, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just remember that not all carriers support it or don't support it on all devices, so if it's something you rely on then it's worth checking before you switch providers.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

e: /\/\ Good point, thants

Big fan of WiFi calling, early adopter and have never shut it off.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's pretty widely supported these days, at least in the US.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A new exciting update from my fired-but-still employed situation. I'm still allowed to WFH, but I decided to come in to clean out my desk. But I no longer have access to my building. So that's fun. I'm posting this sitting in the grass outside while I see if anybody I know is in the office to let me in.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
When someone lets you in you should bill them for your physical security pen test that they just failed.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

FISHMANPET posted:

A new exciting update from my fired-but-still employed situation. I'm still allowed to WFH, but I decided to come in to clean out my desk. But I no longer have access to my building. So that's fun. I'm posting this sitting in the grass outside while I see if anybody I know is in the office to let me in.

Find someone you don't like to let you in because they might get fired.

Sepist posted:

When someone lets you in you should bill them for your physical security pen test that they just failed.

:hai:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

FISHMANPET posted:

i hope there wasn't anything important or embarrassing in there because it sounds like you'll get it back in six months or not at all

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Agrikk posted:

Wifi calling, precious?

How am I only hearing about this today? Goddrat. It took me ten seconds to turn it on and I hope this works.

I used Wi-Fi calling exclusively when I was in the uk because I was too lazy to swap SIM cards

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Dude you won't believe this. There's a windows 2013 now too.

I don't think I've ever used my phone purposely for phone calls cause apple has wireless calling built into every device, so I'll just answer it with my computer headphones.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 21, 2023

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

So, this is a cool feature: https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftEdge/comments/163pv6p/edge_creates_a_new_shortcut_every_time_it_closes/

Basically, some users, if you close edge, it attempts to do :something: with the shortcut and ends up creating a new shortcut. I've got a user with a few hundred edge shortcuts on his desktop, which, while funny, broke onedrive syncing and is causing some other bullshit.

Really tempted to just rage uninstall Edge everywhere and delete the shortcuts, but it's actually a decent browser at this point and if people want to use it, I (generally) have no issue with it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I pushed something to my quay repo, didn't tell anyone, someone found it and started using it instead of the "released version" because I hadn't written release notes for it tell them that this release is not backwards compatible anymore.

Now I'm laughing at him.

YOLO WITH YOUR UPGRADES BRO.

Hope you backed up that db.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How much of our days are filled up with jury absolute loving nonsense? It has to be a staggering amount of hours.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

How much of our days are filled up with jury absolute loving nonsense? It has to be a staggering amount of hours.

Well I work 9 hours, post here around 4 of those hours, so around 8 hours until I decide to work that last hour of the day.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

MF_James posted:

So, this is a cool feature: https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftEdge/comments/163pv6p/edge_creates_a_new_shortcut_every_time_it_closes/

Basically, some users, if you close edge, it attempts to do :something: with the shortcut and ends up creating a new shortcut. I've got a user with a few hundred edge shortcuts on his desktop, which, while funny, broke onedrive syncing and is causing some other bullshit.

Really tempted to just rage uninstall Edge everywhere and delete the shortcuts, but it's actually a decent browser at this point and if people want to use it, I (generally) have no issue with it.

Haha, I saw a ticket about this come across our Helpdesk a week or two ago. I looked at it and said "Well, that is certainly a weird one! Good luck to whatever tech picks that one up!"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Mom can we get chrome

No, we have chrome at home

Chrome at home:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Honestly...besides porting phone numbers from 5 different carriers (nightmare)

How in the actual gently caress are you still sane?
It took me 6 months to finally get my DIDs ported from Windstream, and in the meantime I had to replace them with new ones because that poo poo just did not work.

also :whatup: NEC buddy? we are looking to replace our 9500 with a managed solution. Probably courtesy of COX, but I'm trying to influence that decision despite the fact that I am no longer the phone guy.