Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Bastard Tetris posted:

There is no causal link between infertility and COVID being stored in the balls

i.. i know that? i wasn't agreeing with him im simply expressing my frustration at that style of posting that has unfortunately become all too common here on the forums as of late. its not funny or edgy it's just mean-spirited and insufferable. i wish the mods would crack down on it with threats of IP Bans or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

if only the ohio cryptid shitlord knew we had the tools all along :marc:

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
has this been posted yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-twcxsWHmk

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SardonicTyrant posted:

https://archive.org/details/02-barefoot-gen-the-day-after/01%20Barefoot%20Gen-A%20Cartoon%20Story%20of%20Hiroshima%20%281976%29/

If anyone is comfortable reading about the subject matter, see how many parallels you can find with Gen's situation to your own.

Hey thanks for posting this. I'm only halfway through the first volume, but I'm already hooked, and feel like I'm probably going to impulse buy the series once I'm done so I can share it more easily with family and friends. It's a very engrossing story.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

i.. i know that? i wasn't agreeing with him im simply expressing my frustration at that style of posting that has unfortunately become all too common here on the forums as of late. its not funny or edgy it's just mean-spirited and insufferable. i wish the mods would crack down on it with threats of IP Bans or something

sorry man, I just like making stupid jokes in between posts on serious topics, which is why I’m in CSPAM and not getting chain probated in D&D for violations of rule 1c3 schedule 4 or something.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
don't engage them, those are their only two posts in here

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

From Reddit:

Kid coughed in my face and now I’m on post exposure HIV meds.

quote:

If I don’t laugh I’ll cry.

Can’t believe that this actually happened today. You ever have such a rough day it ends with you getting a prescription for post exposure HIV meds? Because I just did. Kid coughed some blood into my mouth and the district had me go to urgent care for a full work up. I can’t loving believe it.

I’m getting drunk off my rear end tonight.

ETA: no, I don’t know the kid’s HIV status. I didn’t even know the kid’s name. So the doctor decided that it was best to take every precaution.

ETA2: kid had a bloody nose that dripped into his mouth, and he then coughed into my mouth and face.

The disconnect in public health policies is mind-boggling. Catching HIV from a random kid coughing in your mouth is virtually impossible - even if the kid had HIV, the chance of transmission from that route is less than 1%. Meanwhile, there's a grudging certainty that a teacher will be infected with COVID repeatedly as a standard occupational hazard. It has to have something to do with the stigma of HIV as a disease that only gay and indigent people get, while COVID is a disease that everybody gets.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
you know just getting super drunk, that won’t interfere with my post exposure prophylaxis meds at all

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Bastard Tetris posted:

sorry man, I just like making stupid jokes in between posts on serious topics, which is why I’m in CSPAM and not getting chain probated in D&D for violations of rule 1c3 schedule 4 or something.

My bad! the internet makes it hard to detect sarcasm sometimes. Also it's way past my bedtime sooo

maxwellhill posted:

don't engage them, those are their only two posts in here

that might be because I'm just now discovering it, dear re-reg

Chamale posted:

From Reddit:

Kid coughed in my face and now I’m on post exposure HIV meds.

The disconnect in public health policies is mind-boggling. Catching HIV from a random kid coughing in your mouth is virtually impossible - even if the kid had HIV, the chance of transmission from that route is less than 1%. Meanwhile, there's a grudging certainty that a teacher will be infected with COVID repeatedly as a standard occupational hazard. It has to have something to do with the stigma of HIV as a disease that only gay and indigent people get, while COVID is a disease that everybody gets.

doesn't air kill hiv cells or something?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HIV does not have cells. It is not a living organism.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Platystemon posted:

HIV does not have cells. It is not a living organism.

i was in SpecialEd

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Oxygen kills the HIV virus but not instantly. The more important factor here is that HIV+ blood touching a mucus membrane has a less than 1% chance to cause infection, and the odds that child is HIV+ are incredibly low. But the doctors want this teacher to take PEP, which is very hard on the liver, just to cover their asses for that billion-to-one chance.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
can I ask for a recommendation for a CO2 monitor that's accurate-enough and won't break the bank?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

hundreds of thousands dead because Trump wore too much makeup

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

can I ask for a recommendation for a CO2 monitor that's accurate-enough and won't break the bank?

Vitalight from amazon

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Buy a Vitalight for $50 or an Aranet4 for $200. Each of them is much better than any other monitor at a similar price point.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have one of these. It’s crude but it works.

If I were buying a monitor today, I might take a chance on this unit. I see no reviews for it specifically, but it checks the right boxes and Inkbird is a brand that I have heard of and used. Their thermostats are all right for horticulture, homebrewing, and aquaria.

Some of their less portable units have received reviews.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
thank you for the replies

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Australia update: hospitalizations have been plateauing for over a month now. Not much else to report, which is good news I guess

https://twitter.com/dbRaevn/status/1705047815964307622

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

what's the efficacy of novavax? I haven't been following the updates and variants for a while

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Google Butt posted:

what's the efficacy of novavax? I haven't been following the updates and variants for a while

Tune in to their approval hearing today for the bleeding edge data.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I hope it's good, thinking of giving the Mothra shot a chance this year.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Ya know thanks to the free market, Novavax is going to be the #1 booster shot and it would be found everywhere thanks to their design that make it so much easier to store over the other mRna vaccines.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/28/covid-might-have-changed-peoples-personalities-study-suggests

unclear headline, it seems to be about the pandemic in general changing people, not Covid infection

but yeah, the last 3 years have definitely made me less cooperative and less trusting

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 13:00 on Sep 22, 2023

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I hate those kind of studies. Like the other educational study posted previously, they never stopped and once considered that Covid itself could be a cause in of itself. We already know that Covid infects your brain directly since 2021!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

dying status: postponed. thank you American pharmaceutical companies !!

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Zugzwang posted:

The second link you shared included options for a gel electrophoresis setup that costs a few hundred bucks. That's what you'd use to determine the result if you weren't taking images during the reaction. When I mentioned earlier that you can open the PCR tube post-reaction and determine the sizes of the DNA in there to see if you made your expected product, you'd do that (most likely) with gel electrophoresis. Advantage is that it requires no dyes during the reaction or optics, disadvantage is that it's a whole nother step you have to go through. It is also the likeliest way to contaminate your lab and have problems with false positives, because if any of the zillions of copies of DNA you made in This Reaction make it into The Next Reaction, it'll show up as a positive reaction result. Care needs to be taken to avoid this.

As for colorimetry vs fluorescence and why the former seems more common in DIY settings, the optics are pretty simple, and cheap, for colorimetry. Not so for fluorescence.

Thanks so much for your patient answers. I'm going to order the beginner course/kit from the-odin and go from there. I'm pretty keen to start learning about this stuff!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

I hate those kind of studies. Like the other educational study posted previously, they never stopped and once considered that Covid itself could be a cause in of itself. We already know that Covid infects your brain directly since 2021!

They do a tiny nod to that in the actual research paper.

quote:

Further, there may be personality change related to infection with SARS-CoV-2, particularly for individuals with severe cases and/or long COVID. Recent evidence indicates significant changes in brain structure and cognitive function associated with SARS-CoV-2 infection (Douaud et al., 2022) [49]. Personality change could be one outcome of such alterations in neurological structure. The present research could not address this possibility.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pingui posted:

They do a tiny nod to that in the actual research paper.

The average reader isn't going to read a research paper linked, and I still don't like that little tiny footnote. It implies that it could only happen in serious cases and not in mild or asymptomatic cases. We know tons who got memories problems after they got got and the infamous loss of smell/taste.

A shift in people's personality happens all the time, we know of folks who act noticeably different when they're a little bit hungry, a little bit tired, or after they had a few drinks. Why is it so difficult to get the idea that a virus invading your brain cells could also subtly shift your personality too?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

The average reader isn't going to read a research paper linked, and I still don't like that little tiny footnote. It implies that it could only happen in serious cases and not in mild or asymptomatic cases. We know tons who got memories problems after they got got and the infamous loss of smell/taste.

A shift in people's personality happens all the time, we know of folks who act noticeably different when they're a little bit hungry, a little bit tired, or after they had a few drinks. Why is it so difficult to get the idea that a virus invading your brain cells could also subtly shift your personality too?

I wasn't implying it wasn't idiotic. I found the quote laughable.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

thank you for the replies

The Aranet unit is now 32% off at Amazon right now

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

was supposed to have the new baby's hip ultrasounded today to check for dysplasia

whoops

no one across our very large metro boston medical office network can actually see her--too many staff out sick

jfc it's legit been a coin flip if the medical appointments we book weeks or months out actually happen during this last year

aranets rule. i tried out a cheaper option first, but very happy i bit the bullet on one.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Hmm... :denmark:

Percentages are out of total successful sequences (number denoted). Sequencing is way behind (right-most column):

Source: https://www.covid19genomics.dk/statistics

Edit to note: Those 9 cases in week 37 aren't from a single super spreader event, like the UK jump was. The cases are more or less evenly spread out across the country (case count in the five regions: 1, 2, 1, 3 and 2). EG.5.1.x are the direct competitors at an aggregated ~60% of cases (60%-80% in the weeks leading up to).

Pingui has issued a correction as of 14:02 on Sep 22, 2023

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Covid is fully back - 15 teachers out without subs in my building alone

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Jon Irenicus posted:

loving lockdowns

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

it's kinda funny to think that just four years ago not having subs coordinated for your dept was a huge logistical failure that came down on the building admin. now it's just every other day from Sept - April

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Jon Irenicus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vimZj8HW0Kg&t=9s

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Jon Irenicus posted:

half of the teachers were masked at drop off this morning. drat, that's a lot of sick teachers coming to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Department chair who warned of rising covid followed up to say they have covid too. If only someone could have foreseen this wavelet!