Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Okay but which of these don't suck.

Pretty much all of them save for maybe out buddies.

Gato is really good if you want something you could beat in an evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KNR
May 3, 2009

No Dignity posted:

I mean I made fun of the Souls aesthetic getting really played out but what really distinguishes Metroid from the rest is the concise length, intricate level design and versatile platforming mechanics, I don't know how prevalent that is with any of those games listed.

I've always wanted to play Environment Station Alpha though, I actually have the game but I've never been able to get it working with a controller. Even loading it onto Steam Deck it just doesn't work?
ESA is great, but it is quite a bit longer and with more focus on puzzles and secrets, as you'd expect from the guy who went on to make Baba is You.

I think out of all the games mentioned in the previous page my top recommendation for you would be Vision Soft Reset. It's very low budget but concise, quite open ended, and fundamentally about speedrun style routing as part of its core gameplay.

Axiom Verge and A Robot Named Fight feel very SM, but that also includes feeling like they copied SM's kinda bad combat and bossfights, and Axiom Verge doesn't really feature any of the structural aspects you like about SM. ARNF is probably still the only decent attempt at making a metroidvania roguelike, but its moveset feels more basic than SM.

Ghost Song was astonishingly boring to actually play, did not finish that one.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

KNR posted:

I think out of all the games mentioned in the previous page my top recommendation for you would be Vision Soft Reset. It's very low budget but concise, quite open ended, and fundamentally about speedrun style routing as part of its core gameplay.

I really wanted to like VSR, but it's kind of a terrible game to play. The playforming isn't precise enough for how much of it there is, and it doesn't give you enough time juice to just brute force it or enough health to soak up all the times you land in spikes.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

galagazombie posted:

Not gonna lie “Solus: Bannerman of the Empire” sounds like a cool dude and I’d like to meet him.

Here he is, complete with Stupidest Hairdo On A Villain

He's not a cool dude, though.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

KNR posted:

This is a fascinating enough idea that I'd be interested in loading up my save and checking these areas out if you remember any in specific.

I've actually been itching to play another one of these Big Metroidvanias again, and Aeterna Noctis was on the list for me as something to replay but in a different way, since I never bothered using arrows for combat. I might just boot it up at some point and rush through as much as I can/try to beat some of the optional achievements. I remember the triple jump coming very early, like somewhere within the cemetery or shortly after. It was part of why it stood out to me, because you could get a triple jump so early and it felt like such a natural addition to the platforming instead of an OP movement option

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

bawk posted:

I remember the triple jump coming very early, like somewhere within the cemetery or shortly after. It was part of why it stood out to me, because you could get a triple jump so early and it felt like such a natural addition to the platforming instead of an OP movement option

The triple jump gem was added to the game in the DLC along with the gem that prevents losing your soul on death. Both great additions because I probably would've ditched noctis mode before the end of the game otherwise.

I liked the platforming in AN but the regular combat was atrocious. I thought it was a joke when, after the sewer's slimes that left poison clouds on death, I got to the light palace and saw the slimes that shoot light beams when you kill them. Surely that's a a joke and every new area won't have boring slimes that make you wait through their death explosion to proceed, right? Narrator's voice: it will. I spent so much time repeatedly jumping up to hit an enemy on the ledge I needed to jump to next, then waiting for the death attack to end before proceeding. The design philosophy of combat seemed to be "hurry up and wait," and it padded the game out so badly. I remember the abyss enemies being particularly bad in that regard.

The bosses were fun though; I can oddly handle waiting for openings in attack patterns much better with bosses and enjoyed changing up my gems or spec based on the boss. I think I went with melee for the robot refights and Garibaldi but used arrows on the doppleganger, queen, and emperor.

It was kind of interesting how the second half of the game was a lot more interesting than the first half. It's dead zone, sewer zone, mine zone, fire zone, light zone. Then you get through the western wall and suddenly it's spirited away zone, puzzle palace, mario galaxy zone, third impact zone. I even thought the musical tracks got better (except for the Emperor fight wtf was with that bagpipe hoedown).

I overall had a good time but the game didn't quite hit the mark on all its ambitions. B+.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I'd like to play a game fully in the souls aesthetic but no one tries to kill you. Instead you're just from the local engineering firm, sent in to get the crumbling ring city beyond time of bloodmourne up to code.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd like to play a game fully in the souls aesthetic but no one tries to kill you. Instead you're just from the local engineering firm, sent in to get the crumbling ring city beyond time of bloodmourne up to code.

2D Soulsborne Metroidvania version of Infra is pretty goddamn close to my video game version of The Homer. Toss in a cooking minigame and I'd replay it every 3 months

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

guppy posted:

Astalon is super good, one of my favorites. I also really like Alwa's Awakening and Alwa's Legacy; they're much simpler than most MVs in terms of mechanics, but very charming.

What I really enjoyed about Alwa's Legacy was how the mechanics were pretty limited, but also helped you unlock things and use them in interesting ways. Also I'm a sucker for 'a puzzle per room' sort of setups, which there were a lot of, and the combat wasn't too harsh; I don't necessarily mind more of an SotN style game with reasonably aggressive combat, but I also enjoy something a bit more laid back.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Alwa was too clunky for me. Felt more like a 2D Zelda.

Astalon was absolutely phenomenal though. Totally blew me away. I was not expecting that much game in a little retro styled thing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Spermanent Record posted:

Felt more like a 2D Zelda.

So like, the good ones?

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Serephina posted:

So like, the good ones?
I'm guessing they mean Zelda 2, the sidescroller

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Edit: Guffers!

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007

Spermanent Record posted:

Oh yeah, more like a top down Zelda game translated to a 2D plane, in terms of how items are introduced and how they then have a specific themed dungeon where you have to use them.

I didn't dig it. They give you access to most of the upgrades right at the start and you just go back and swap them out as needed. That killed a lot of the fun of slowly maxing your powers. Some of the upgrades were extremely underwhelming too. Gee, I can change the colour of my bubble? Thanks.

I can see that some people might like the slower pace but I gave up on the dungeon with the switches that turned the spikes on and off. I didn't enjoy the water level before that and it seemed that they were just going to keep introducing those kind of gimmicks rather than letting you explore and build an overall useful skillset.

Some of the individual puzzle rooms were great though.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The thing with Alwa is that while you get movement upgrades, none of them are the kind of thing you expect. You never get a double jump; instead you get a bubble you can jump on. The upgrades don't just change the color of things, they have functional improvements, but they are also minor upgrades. Often important, but minor.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The Alwa's games stand out on account of coming from totally different points of reference than most MVs. The store page for the first game cites Battle of Olympus and Solstice, and there's gotta be some Legacy of the Wizard in there too.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the Alwa in Alwa's games stands for games that Always Own

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
People have been mentioning how most metroidvanias are inspired by igavanias more than Metroid in the thread recently, but are there actually any good games like that?

To me, what separates Castlevania's Metroidy entries are just absurd amount of stuff hidden everywhere. Every enemy has 1-2 drops that might be unique items with weird gimmicks, and enemy abilities from Sorrow games are a blast. I've never seen an indie 'Vania replicate this aspect. I've recently beaten some Igavanias by only pumping up my Luck stat and that was super fun. Well, until I learned that it does nothing in Harmony of Dissonance and both Sorrow games... But before that it was fun to go through the castle and even grind a bit to see what kind of soul or weird item I'll get from every enemy. The only game I can think of that replicates it is Iga's own Bloodstained.

It feels more like most indie Metroidvanias chase after Castlevania aesthetics but with uninspired Metroid collectibles and power-ups. I really hope that series actually breaks the norm from "here's a morph ball, here's a wave beam, every optional goodie is 5 missiles", because that sucks.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Vookatos posted:

People have been mentioning how most metroidvanias are inspired by igavanias more than Metroid in the thread recently, but are there actually any good games like that?

To me, what separates Castlevania's Metroidy entries are just absurd amount of stuff hidden everywhere. Every enemy has 1-2 drops that might be unique items with weird gimmicks, and enemy abilities from Sorrow games are a blast. I've never seen an indie 'Vania replicate this aspect. I've recently beaten some Igavanias by only pumping up my Luck stat and that was super fun. Well, until I learned that it does nothing in Harmony of Dissonance and both Sorrow games... But before that it was fun to go through the castle and even grind a bit to see what kind of soul or weird item I'll get from every enemy. The only game I can think of that replicates it is Iga's own Bloodstained.

It feels more like most indie Metroidvanias chase after Castlevania aesthetics but with uninspired Metroid collectibles and power-ups. I really hope that series actually breaks the norm from "here's a morph ball, here's a wave beam, every optional goodie is 5 missiles", because that sucks.

Yeah, they have traded this aesthetic for Souls gameplay whole hog. The sad part is the one game that was first and most blatant to do it, Salt and Sanctuary, is probably still overall the best one, even compared to its own sequel, apparently.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
With all the Blasphemous 2 hype lately, I decided to finally play the original game since I never picked it up. Did I imagine hype and critical acclaim for this? I'm trudging through it but this game is a bit rough even for a "git gud" soulslike.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Dr. Clockwork posted:

With all the Blasphemous 2 hype lately, I decided to finally play the original game since I never picked it up. Did I imagine hype and critical acclaim for this? I'm trudging through it but this game is a bit rough even for a "git gud" soulslike.

I was near the final area when I realized I hadn't enjoyed it at all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a bit rough around the edges but the atmosphere is almost unmatched and that's good enough for me.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
The atmosphere, setting, lore and pixel art are awesome for sure. But the actual gameplay, like the poster above, is not fun to me. I've been muddling through it out of some sense of needing to get my money's worth, but not enjoying the experience. I think I'm near the end? Just killed a giant baby. There are a bunch of secrets and powerups I'm missing but backtracking way across the map even with the handful of fast travels and elevators is just a slog. There are some encounters that don't seem skippable where they put giant damage sponge enemies in your path that slows you down so much.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I liked both Blasphemous and the sequel, although they look similar, they have various differences. For example the movement abilities open a lot faster in B2 and they are more "traditional" from what you'd expect in a metroidvania, whereas in the first game a lot of them are pretty inventive but not necessarily needed for completing the game. The original is a bit more gritty and dark while the sequel is more streamlined and colorful (easier too). The original definitely has more of that old school "git gud" type of action and B2 is a bit more forgiving in that sense - one example is that they removed the instakill from spikes for the sequel.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Blasphemous was a bit too heavy for me. The art was rad, but the setting was oppressive and the gameplay didn't keep me coming back. I'm sure it's a fine game for folks who want to wade in that pool, but it was a refund for me.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Vookatos posted:

Unfortunately not, its what makes me love love the igas, do you need 100 food items? no but its charming to pick up a boba tea or pizza to heal yourself

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Blasphemous is high in my “I adored this but understand why folks might bounce off it” list. For me the weightiness of the systems and combat really came together well (especially figuring out proper block/parry stuff for bosses), there’s a ton of interesting secrets and ways for quests to pan out, and they expanded it over time and via patches to make NG+ cycle’s interesting with new bosses and areas.

Backtracking early on is a thing but they patched in later a system where you get bonuses including shrine teleports for donating currency at the church in town, so make sure you are throwing money into the offering box; there’s still a good amount of running around to be done but does speed things up.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Tortolia posted:

Blasphemous is high in my “I adored this but understand why folks might bounce off it” list. For me the weightiness of the systems and combat really came together well (especially figuring out proper block/parry stuff for bosses), there’s a ton of interesting secrets and ways for quests to pan out, and they expanded it over time and via patches to make NG+ cycle’s interesting with new bosses and areas.

Backtracking early on is a thing but they patched in later a system where you get bonuses including shrine teleports for donating currency at the church in town, so make sure you are throwing money into the offering box; there’s still a good amount of running around to be done but does speed things up.

I stopped playing Blasphemous because the "good amount of running around" you describe is actually almost half your game time as soon as you get stuck and don't know how to progress, which can happen because the game is very poor at directing you anywhere.
I agree with you that they nailed combat and exploration though. I like the extreme/cringy gothicness of it too. It's just so badly designed map wise.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

JSmithOTI posted:

Blasphemous was a bit too heavy for me. The art was rad, but the setting was oppressive and the gameplay didn't keep me coming back. I'm sure it's a fine game for folks who want to wade in that pool, but it was a refund for me.

Kawabata posted:

I stopped playing Blasphemous because the "good amount of running around" you describe is actually almost half your game time as soon as you get stuck and don't know how to progress, which can happen because the game is very poor at directing you anywhere.
I agree with you that they nailed combat and exploration though. I like the extreme/cringy gothicness of it too. It's just so badly designed map wise.

Both of these posts, right here.

Still the only game I've ever refunded on Steam, since I paid full price at release.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I remember really disliking Blasphemous on release (it was a glitchy mess on Switch, and its collectibles sucked), but the second game really clicked with me. Aside from final boss nothing really gave me trouble (some bosses I've killed on the first attempt), and the only kinda bullshit thing I can think of is that enemies hurt you on touch, which is kinda weird considering some of them are coffins and other things that don't look like they'd hurt.
The pacing in the second game is improved and I always had some place to go, something to explore or a puzzle to try and figure out.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If there is a mod to patch in the second game's non-instant kill spikes I would probably play and enjoy the game a lot better

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's curious that people are citing the walk-around-a-lot as a flaw in a MV, to me that's once of the most crucial parts of the games. Like, I spent a lot of time wandering around Super Metroid unspoilered, I like how it reinforces your familiarity with areas and so when something clicks you immediately know where to go experiment with it.

So for Blasphemous 2, I actually felt it was too streamlined. Like I knew what I was supposed to be doing in every area (get to the boss), the path was mostly linear with any revisitation being by my own choice when hunting cherubs in the post-game. I actually felt there was too many fast travel options in patched B1 and B2! I had missed a few obvious things as I never walked past a few rooms a second time ever, oops.

------

On a slightly different topic, people cite Dark Souls influences everywhere, so I just played the first two games a few months ago and I gotta say I'm actually delighted to see the bloodstain mechanic and walk-back-to-the-boss runs trickle across all genres. It's like when bottomless pits started being non-fatal however many decades ago; it's just a straight up improvement that I'm glad to see widely adopted.

KNR
May 3, 2009
While I think bloodstains and boss runs have their place in some games, estus and enemies respawning on checkpoints are both way more universally good things DS popularized.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Serephina posted:

It's curious that people are citing the walk-around-a-lot as a flaw in a MV, to me that's once of the most crucial parts of the games. Like, I spent a lot of time wandering around Super Metroid unspoilered, I like how it reinforces your familiarity with areas and so when something clicks you immediately know where to go experiment with it.

So for Blasphemous 2, I actually felt it was too streamlined. Like I knew what I was supposed to be doing in every area (get to the boss), the path was mostly linear with any revisitation being by my own choice when hunting cherubs in the post-game. I actually felt there was too many fast travel options in patched B1 and B2! I had missed a few obvious things as I never walked past a few rooms a second time ever, oops.

------

On a slightly different topic, people cite Dark Souls influences everywhere, so I just played the first two games a few months ago and I gotta say I'm actually delighted to see the bloodstain mechanic and walk-back-to-the-boss runs trickle across all genres. It's like when bottomless pits started being non-fatal however many decades ago; it's just a straight up improvement that I'm glad to see widely adopted.

Those are contingent on

1- Cool shortcuts which actually reward your exploration and ingenuity by allowing you to backtrack faster by finding faster alternate routes. This requires excellent level design and hiding the secrets in such a way people will stumble on them with logical experimentation instead of mashing their face into every wall and trying every weapon/traversal technique until something happens (aka Axiom Verge 1). Examples of this in SM are the secret passage back to Brinstar once you find Super Missiles (it's not mandatory and you can actually miss it) and the glass corridor power bomb into Maridia. It also helps when the connections are novel and interesting, vs just some big long hallway with a train system that just takes you to every area since they connect in a line.

2- Having new traversal mechanics to actually get around faster, with the game designed around them and them being part of your kit such that once you get them your mind instantly goes back to, "aha, I can use this to get up to that area here, here, there, and there," which rewards the observant player who explored previously and saw the potential paths. Blasphemous 1's new traversal stuff does let you get to new places, but it's often in obtuse places or it just wasn't clear the first time through that area that that's a place you can get to.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

Those are contingent on

1- Cool shortcuts which actually reward your exploration and ingenuity by allowing you to backtrack faster by finding faster alternate routes. This requires excellent level design and hiding the secrets in such a way people will stumble on them with logical experimentation instead of mashing their face into every wall and trying every weapon/traversal technique until something happens (aka Axiom Verge 1). Examples of this in SM are the secret passage back to Brinstar once you find Super Missiles (it's not mandatory and you can actually miss it) and the glass corridor power bomb into Maridia. It also helps when the connections are novel and interesting, vs just some big long hallway with a train system that just takes you to every area since they connect in a line.

2- Having new traversal mechanics to actually get around faster, with the game designed around them and them being part of your kit such that once you get them your mind instantly goes back to, "aha, I can use this to get up to that area here, here, there, and there," which rewards the observant player who explored previously and saw the potential paths. Blasphemous 1's new traversal stuff does let you get to new places, but it's often in obtuse places or it just wasn't clear the first time through that area that that's a place you can get to.

Yeah, I think that Hollow Knight really captures a lot of this; the 'fly off wall in a straight line' move is absolutely a great option for revisiting old areas.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, I think that Hollow Knight really captures a lot of this; the 'fly off wall in a straight line' move is absolutely a great option for revisiting old areas.

I'm a big fan of the Bloodstained traversal ability that turns the whole world upside so the ceiling becomes the floor

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

sudonim posted:

I'm a big fan of the Bloodstained traversal ability that turns the whole world upside so the ceiling becomes the floor

What the hell, I gotta play this

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Tbh, it's less interesting than it sounds.

But also I guess fwiw I was pretty cool on Bloodstained. It wasn't bad, mind, just very middle of the road. I think a sequel would really nail it.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah I liked it well enough but hopefully they figure it out better on the sequel I vaguely remember being announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah I liked it well enough but hopefully they figure it out better on the sequel I vaguely remember being announced.

It hasn't been officially announced yet. It was accidentally leaked, and instead of trying to cover it up, they owned it. Their official statement is that they are going to finish Bloodstained before they officially announce, or even begin work on, the sequel.

They have two more modes to release (Chaos and VS), then a few costume DLCs, Classic Mode 2 DLC, and then they'll be done.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 23, 2023