Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Devorum posted:

They're Raven Guard.

Not according to that poster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Kitchner posted:

The models look great, but with the old guardsman kit I can cut out all the legs, then the bodies, then the pairs of arms, and then the heads, put them in a pile of each thing and just assemble them all on auto pilot without thinking.

With the CAD design stuff it looks sexy as hell but it comes from very specific cuts and ways the models go together. Just slows down the building process that's all.

It also very much undermines the Your Dudes aspect of army construction if every model has to be assembled in one specific way. You end up designing your own unique marine chapter with its own colour scheme and symbols and backstory, and then when you put your squad down on the table it has the exact same combination of dudes in the exact same combination of poses as every other marine squad in the world.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Roller Coast Guard posted:

It also very much undermines the Your Dudes aspect of army construction if every model has to be assembled in one specific way. You end up designing your own unique marine chapter with its own colour scheme and symbols and backstory, and then when you put your squad down on the table it has the exact same combination of dudes in the exact same combination of poses as every other marine squad in the world.

Eh at least marines allow arms to be swapped around / tilted. Between that and the head you can avoid duplicate poses quite easily. With squad numbers being part of the 'uniform' for marines it's also a bit easier to keep similar poses in separate units on the tabletop.

My gripe with other kits (like Berzerkers) is that it often is possible to switch things up, but the instructions only tell you one specific way is possible. That's because some of the arms will catch on details like chains hanging off the body, and not quite fit. It took a bit of trial and error to determine which combinations worked before gluing anything, but would have been easier if the instructions said that Body A can be used with arms A/B/C/E. The only official personalisation is head & shoulder pads (which are largely similar anyway).

However I definitely don't plan to get anymore Jakhals, as aside from a couple of special weapon swaps those are pretty much entirely fixed poses.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

My opinion is this: Go fuckin hog wild with your hobby knife and glue. Defy the monopose chains that seek to bind you.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

just lol if you aren't bashing together every marine squad from three different kits at minimum. that's the entire appeal of the fuckers

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Assessor of Maat posted:

just lol if you aren't bashing together every marine squad from three different kits at minimum. that's the entire appeal of the fuckers

I loved to kitbash stuff back in the day, had a huge bit box due to working in a hobby store and being able to grab poo poo from opened boxes or promo stuff- it breaks my heart that I gave almost all of it away when I stopped warhamming in like 2010 :(

Just need to keep at it and be financially irresponsible wrt plastic for a couple of years, then I can get back to it!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Assessor of Maat posted:

I worked out one of my weird little guys is made from 5 different kits, three of which are technically monopose.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Reading more about how streamlined things are/ could be makes me sad. I have fond memories (maybe rose coloured glasses) of making unique squads with characters that had specific war gear.

I also am a freak that liked the 1000 ammunition options in FO:NV though so

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

Somebody got a nice version of that color template image file for Space Marines? The one I found is trash quality. And if there are like files for Guardsmen (Cadian or DKoK) that'd be cool.

Here's the ones I have.

And a Knight one too.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SuperKlaus posted:

Somebody got a nice version of that color template image file for Space Marines? The one I found is trash quality. And if there are like files for Guardsmen (Cadian or DKoK) that'd be cool.

If you don't mind paying a couple bucks the Interactive Mini Painting Catalogue is a really good tool for figuring out paint schemes. There's a community model pack on the impcat reddit that has files for GW models/paints as well as other brands.
http://impcat.design-bench.com/
Some examples

I've been using it to plan out my marine chapter colours.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 24, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

If you don't mind paying a couple bucks the Interactive Mini Painting Catalogue is a really good tool for figuring out paint schemes. There's a community model pack on the impcat reddit that has files for GW models/paints as well as other brands.
http://impcat.design-bench.com/
Some examples

I've been using it to plan put my marine chapter colours.

Oh dang that's really cool, I might pick that up before I get to painting everything

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I worked out one of my weird little guys is made from 5 different kits, three of which are technically monopose.

Could you post a pic?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
finished my PsychoPhage! what do you guys think? would love comments and critiques!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Base rim needs a little cleaning up but got drat that's awesome

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Al-Saqr posted:

finished my PsychoPhage! what do you guys think? would love comments and critiques!

I seriously love how colorful your stuff is turning out, it's refreshing and makes for the best Tyranids.

Most people start out with some kind of slap-chop grimdark oil wash, but you went with some kind of 80's fantasy and it's wonderful.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I love your use of orange as a spot color. It really pops against the purple while also elevating the purple. Great job.

Changing topics real quick, I hear that Land Raiders are good this edition. Are Primaris allowed to ride in them yet?

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Professor Shark posted:

Reading more about how streamlined things are/ could be makes me sad. I have fond memories (maybe rose coloured glasses) of making unique squads with characters that had specific war gear.

I also am a freak that liked the 1000 ammunition options in FO:NV though so

This, plus weapon templates plus vehicle armour values is why I bought the horus heresy starter box

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

jadebullet posted:

Changing topics real quick, I hear that Land Raiders are good this edition. Are Primaris allowed to ride in them yet?

Yeah they can use everything but Rhinos and Razorbacks.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

Could you post a pic?

Actually I misremembered; the mini I was thinking of used 8 kits, but only 1 was strictly monopose.

- Skitarii Vanguard (head, legs)
- Orlock Gangers (pistol arm)
- Intercessors (pouches, shield)
- Corvus Cabal (claw arm)
- Genestealer Cult Neophyte Hybrids (torso)
- Cawdor Gangers (belt bits)
- Necron Immortals (backpack)
- Unknown (blanket roll)

He's a bit different from my other weird little guys as there's less Cawdor in there - usually they're at least the upper torso or legs.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Al-Saqr posted:

It looks great! Colour choices on top of Leviathan hivefleet work well. It's got a fresh bloody stump to nom on. If you want any specific critiques it's mostly just technique. The contrast paint on the carapace pooled a bit at the edge of each piece below it but in an inconsistent way so some pieces have darkened purple that would suggest a divot while others have very stark shadowing at the edge.

The advantage of Tyranids is that they're organic anyway so imperfections are to be expected and no one's really gonna notice it on the table.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Al-Saqr solid nid work, but I must ask what is going on with the bottom of your bases? It looks like you put them all on thin cardboard or something?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Al-Saqr solid nid work, but I must ask what is going on with the bottom of your bases? It looks like you put them all on thin cardboard or something?

Its a rubber magnet base!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

Looks like a magnetic base attachment.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Aww man, worked real hard on getting my models together and then couldn't even play today because too many people showed up and there weren't enough tables :smith:

Maybe I can find somewhere else to play during the week

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Too many there is a good thing I'd say, that means there's interest.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Too many there is a good thing I'd say, that means there's interest.

Oh for sure, it's way better than no one showing up lol. Just a little disappointed is all. There's always next week though at minimum!

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Kaal posted:

Yeah they can use everything but Rhinos and Razorbacks.

Awesome! I might have to start working on Marines again now that it is getting easier to make an army that has the classic Marine look and feel. (I am not a fan of the hover tanks compared to the classic Land Raiders and Rhinos)

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

First day of the Houston Warzone and my second GT. It’s been fun, if tiring, but one of the judges made a point of visiting my table every single game to tell me that he’s an ultramarine player who hates Guilliman (I’m running Guilliman - he’s cool!) and to encourage my opponent to kill him. Feels like it’s bordering harassment at this point, and I’m pretty close to telling him to gently caress off tomorrow. The terrain has also changed several times, once favoring me and once not. Just feels sketch.

Currently 105/126 and 1-2 on my record. The game where the same judge set up my terrain wrong, I scored 25ish points. Very annoying. My new goal is to get better than 100th place , and to enjoy myself despite the lovely official.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Stephenls posted:

Not according to that poster!

I think we're supposed to entertain the idea that the Sons of The Phoenix, Covenant of Fire and a few others are not descended from their official legion so there's definitely wiggle room or scope for disagreement.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

a fatguy baldspot posted:

First day of the Houston Warzone and my second GT. It’s been fun, if tiring, but one of the judges made a point of visiting my table every single game to tell me that he’s an ultramarine player who hates Guilliman (I’m running Guilliman - he’s cool!) and to encourage my opponent to kill him. Feels like it’s bordering harassment at this point, and I’m pretty close to telling him to gently caress off tomorrow. The terrain has also changed several times, once favoring me and once not. Just feels sketch.

Currently 105/126 and 1-2 on my record. The game where the same judge set up my terrain wrong, I scored 25ish points. Very annoying. My new goal is to get better than 100th place , and to enjoy myself despite the lovely official.

If anything contact the TO's afterwards, that's just lovely behaviour.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Finished magnus (x-post from the mini thread)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kitchner posted:

Might just have to look up some recent tournament lists that have done well and see what the common themes are. I have quite a lot of options it's probably just not the stuff I think is really thematic. I got so many accursed cultists for 9th edition though.

Two main themes. Push melee armies with big character-buffed melee bricks, or castle gunline armies that make use of auras/buffs from Abaddon, Warpsmiths, a Helbrute, etc. Both armies share some of the core units, especially Chosen, Possessed, AC/DCs, Obliterators, and Forgefiends.

Push:
3-5 really solid melee bricks and just brawl like a champion. Ranged (from the Gunline list) and utility to taste; you'll probably want at least three ranged units to sweep utility or hammer units you can't assault but a Lard Raider counts. This army does not generally run Abaddon unless you have a specific galaxy-brain plan for him.

The meta push unit is Chosen, in 5s or a 10, almost always led by Hammer Lord. Take all of the weapon options. Chosen are too squishy to footslog so roll in a Nurgle Rhino or possibly a Nurgle Land Raider. (You can stick two squads of 5 in one, even with characters.) If it's a Rhino, you can still disembark before the Rhino moves for an extra 3" reach.

Chosen have very respectable damage output on their own and you can run them in a brick of 10 to maximize the benefit they get from stratagems and an attached character. Alternately, you can run them in units of 5 as cheap and efficient throwaways that can still work together to take on the same targets as a 10. Either way, one of the best things about this unit is how good their character options are.

Your best bet to lead Chosen is a Chaos Lord with a hammer and Undivided. One Lord can use Profane Zeal for full rerolls each turn, and each Lord has Chance for Glory, a one-time melee boost that's great for popping pretty much any hard target. There are other options that are only slightly inferior, however, like a fist Lord, or a Khorne Master of Executions with the Talisman of Burning Blood enhancement.

Accursed Cultists with a Dark Commune. The Dark Commune's abilities are just outstanding and these guys aren't worth it without one. Half or full units are both good. These guys love lethal hits so I like CU, but Slaanesh allows additional uses of advance/charge. Decent Zeal target. These have super jank wound allocation that makes them even tougher than you'd expect. They're pretty drat slow but you can pick casualties from the back and revive them at the front and that helps a little. Remember that they rez in both command phases. They're your only numerous OC2 unit worth playing, too.

Possessed with an MOP. CU for output, Slaanesh for reach. These have incredible reach for footsloggers and do not generally need or benefit from a vehicle (unless you can run a Spartan from Legends, that tank is ridiculous). An excellent Zeal target even if they're Slaanesh. The MOP's gun is anti-psyker 2+ with DW from the Possessed unit ability, that's pretty cool. You can run these in 5s but there are more efficient MSUs.

Possessed are a bit out of the meta at the moment. They're more expensive than Chosen or an AC/DC, their character options aren't as good, and despite their decent durability, lack the shenanigans of those two units to dramatically reduce the damage they take. They're competitive and more forgiving because of that baseline defensive profile, but a sliver less efficient.

You can run Terminators but they're overpriced and their character options aren't inspiring. Take combi-weapons, fists, dual accursed, and reapers or flamers; these dudes do like to Overwatch. Chainfists are a matter of taste but I'm not a big fan. These guys can roll with basically any mark; I like Khorne or Slaanesh. Deep strike unless the enemy's list looks super aggro melee skew; these guys aren't tough or fast enough to get much done footslogging.

Picking term characters kinda sucks. You can put Abaddon in here but he doesn't synergize well with them and that plan is just so many points. A Term Lord can do Zeal or AOC for you (and is a good enhancement carrier for anything but Elixir), or a Term Sorc is fine if you don't want to go Khorne.

Gunline:
This starts at three solid shooters and the sky's the limit after that. There are some decent support units now worth looking at too. This list can run Abaddon (always solo) but remember that he forces you into a castle and is a bit vulnerable. You'll want some utility units to take objectives that you're sweeping clear with shooting, and maybe a push unit or two.

Obliterators don't really sit in a gunline most of the time but they're absurdly good. CU or Nurgle, ideally in 4s. Excellent Zeal target. Good into basically everything but never use the third gun profile. They're surprisingly punchy in melee, so do not be afraid to mix it up, especially if it means not getting shot back. Almost always Deep Strike. Don't set up in a position to intentionally use the Indirect shooting unless you have no choice, because they're terrible at repositioning.

Forgefiends are why CSM gunline is a thing. Nerfed but hardly noticed. CU or Nurgle. Plasma head, your choice on arms. (Gatling arms were viable even before the DW nerf dinged plasma a bit!) Silly, silly good Zeal target.

Predator Destructors. Basically always Tzeentch. A surprising quantity of multidamage -2 AP shots plus little addon guns. SM players have already noticed these so get in before the nerfs.

Vindicators. Always Nurgle. Big gun? Big gun. Not an amazing value for what it is but one of your better antitank options and durable enough to stage a bit up the board. Swingy but that's CSM for you.

Warpsmith, whatever mark but usually Tzeentch. Forgefiends burn out fast and love a +1 to hit. Good holder for the Tzeentch enhancement. (Remember that he can be nominated to shoot and thus use Dark Pact, even with no targets in range.) Don't put him in your Havoc squad basically ever.

Helbrute, whatever mark but probably Nurgle. Fist/flamer or Missiles, Melta or Plasma or Las. He's gonna disappoint you but he's there to buff your gunline. He's so slow that he's never going to get anything else done, and his shooting is mostly a token effort. Is he gonna be buffing three units a turn? Are you sure?

Abaddon. An expensive way to get a bubble of full rerolls, but a bubble of full rerolls is a hell of a thing, and he's a murderer in melee too. Squishy but Dark Obscuration can help protect him. Another dude where you want to ask yourself if he really is buffing three units a turn. Like an Eye Warpsmith, he can shoot at nothing for a CP.

Utility:
These units that see play in both themes. They're little glue units that can maybe pick off an MSU but mostly run around grabbing objectives and hunting Lone Ops and getting in trouble.

Cypher, Changeling, and Blue Scribes. Lone Op is a good rear end rule it turns out. Blue Scribes are cheap and fast but do zero damage and have zero utility. Cypher is expensive but Vecting a strategem is powerful, plus he can advance all the time and shoot or do actions and ward off very wimpy utility units. Changeling screws with enemy shooting and has decent shooting of his own. All good.

Warp Talons got a huge price cut and they are now silly good. 5s are great for bullying other skinny units, but 10s might have a place too. Almost a push unit on their own, if they could have a character or something. Khorne and Slaanesh are both options. Nothing in the game likes being in melee with these.

Raptors and Bikes are kinda the same unit and run in MSU. Both like Nurgle or Tzeentch and run around the board picking away with plasma or melta guns, or even flamers. Bikes have that really cool move back into reserves, too, it's very handy. For Bikes, take a fist or plaspistol on the leader and chainswords on the guys, and remember you can shoot the combi-bolters with the melta/plasma at the same time. For Raptors, fist on the leader and plaspistol if you're going flamers.

Cultists! Probably Tzeentch but maybe Nurgle. Guns are better than melee. These guys are cheap and there to screen charges or reserves and sticky objectives and die. Always units of ten, never with a DC. You can run full-sized Tzeentch units with Abaddon and that's funny but not very good and exhausting to play. Remember that they're only OC1.

A single Terminator Sorcerer can Deep Strike in and whammy a unit to give all attacks against that unit an extra pip of AP, plus his psychic gun is decent. That's not a terrible way to spend 90 points. He probably won't live long after that.

Huron Blackheart lets you cheat extra CSM infantry units into your reserves, or just redeploy once you've seen the opponent's setup. (CSM infantry only! Not vehicles, not monsters, not allies.) If you don't have a prepared gameplan to take advantage of this, such as a plan to not have any targetable units on the board turn 1, he's probably not worth it. He can go in Chosen but probably doesn't want to, since he can't use his main gimmick from the inside of a vehicle. You can just have him running around, who cares if he dies.

Nurglings are MSU deep strikers and infiltrators and you can get a lot of them for relatively few points. They can sit on objectives to do actions, they can screen movement or deployment, they can cackle madly. They do it all as long as it doesn't involve killing anything or holding objectives or surviving attacks.

Whatever the efficient demon units are at the moment. At the moment, Flamers, a Seeker Chariot, solo Syll'esske, and maybe Seekers are worthwhile. Demons have absurdly efficient datasheets so it's always worth checking for whatever's undercosted ATM.

Enhancements:
The main problem with the enhancements is that it's hard to find a situation where you have the right mark and a character in a unit that can use the enhancement. They're almost all good in the right situation, but the right situation is rare.

The Talisman of Burning Blood for Khorne is outstanding and always worth the 20 points if you have a Khorne character. It's not worth making a unit Khorne just to give it to the leader, though, and so many good leaders in CSM are psykers. In practice, this ends up only going on MOEs or the occasional Term Lord or Winged DP.

Eye of Tzeentch is another auto-take when you have a Tzeentch character. Tzeentch is a terrible mark for character-led units, though, so the only common user is a Warpsmith.

Orbs of Unlife is generally pointless. Characters rarely have Nurgle and those that do generally aren't in the middle of the fray.

Intoxicating Elixir is for annoying solo characters. A Winged DP or solo Term Lord can fool around with it. It's never worth putting on a character in a unit unless you have nothing else to buy with the points, though.

Liber Hereticus is strong but pricy, and better on units with full rerolls. A Hammer Lord leading Chosen is the ideal carrier but that is usually overinvestment in a fragile unit. It's also redundant with the Helbrute's aura.

Mediocre units:
These aren't bad, just not good. They're only worth looking at if you don't own the better units, or have an odd-sized number of points to spend, or really like the models, or have some galaxy brain plan.

Exalted Champions are overshadowed by the greater power of rerolls. Unlike Lords or MOEs, they do affect both shooting and melee, but the effect is significantly smaller. You could run Lord/EC or MOE/EC but at that point why not split the Chosen brick into two units for more flexibility? EC rides the bench for another edition, at least for now.

Fabius Bile buffs the durability of units that will always be squishy rather than helping them secure kills. It's cool to give Chosen some more durability but the extra punch isn't particularly meaningful, and Bile's own melee is nothing special. It also sucks that he takes up an extra spot in a transport. Maybe if he could run with Possessed?

Haarken Worldclaimer is a mildly interesting addition to a unit of 5 Raptors. (10 is too many points for too little impact.) His shooting contribution is spiky but noticeable, he allows his unit to advance and do actions, and upgrades their melee output considerably. But he's 90 points, putting him and an MSU Raptor unit right at the kind of price where they attract more attention than they can survive. He's not useless, just a bit overpriced with Warp Talons being so good.

Traitor Enforcers are a weirdly pointless addon to a non-melee unit. Adding them to Traitor Guard makes the whole unit T6, which is funny but very questionably useful for 135 points. It might be cool to jam some running solo in any extra space in a transport, since the ogryn doesn't take up extra space, but I can't see a situation where that would be practical. Maybe the Noise Marine Clown Car?

Winged Demon Princes are mildly interesting. They're tough enough to require dedicated effort to remove, and as long as it's healthy, the fiveish MWs from its charge help with its mediocre melee. You really want to give this guy an enhancement: Slaanesh and Elixir makes him a fast if overpriced tarpit, and Khorne gets his melee up to the point where you sometimes feel a little less bad. He's gonna disappoint you a fair amount of the time, but at least he's annoying to kill.

Legionaries are okay as MSU with chainswords, with heavy melee on the champ and another guy. The problem is that they're overshadowed by Chosen and Warp Talons, who are just better at anything you might want to do with them. They have a bunch of shooting options, but they're a terrible shooting unit.

Defilers are a deeply confused unit but as long as you don't mind splitting fire all over the place, they can get some work done. The correct loadout is the scourge, reaper or las, and the combi-weapon. Make sure you're getting it into melee too. It's not a competitive unit but it's usable.

I've actually played with the Noctilith Crown and it has a place, especially in a dedicated gunline. Tanks, in particular, love it. It's just that it's almost enough on its own to buy another Predator while not actually doing any appreciable damage.

Noise Marines are slower than Raptors or Bikes without being appreciably better at shooting, and being forced into Slaanesh isn't great for a dedicated shooting unit. They're even more mediocre as a melee unit. You can put two MSUs in a Rhino and shoot the Blastmasters with the benefit of Nurgle but as amusing as a Clown Car is, it's not very good.

Predator Annihilators are fine. 130 for three lascannon isn't incredible but it's a reasonably mobile and durable chassis, and CSM don't get a lot of long-ranged anti-tank units like this. It's fine and could do with a price cut but probably won't ever get it.

Lascannon Havocs are in the same boat as the Pred A except they're also squishy and slow. Non-las Havocs are useless due to generally disappointing weapon stats. They really need about one more AP on every gun but lascannon.

Traitor Guard looked useless to me initially but they're kind of okay if you minmax with them, taking two plasma, two snipers, or even two flamers for a surprisingly decent budget overwatch threat. (The third choice is almost always a plasma or GL.) Their main problem is that you really have to minmax those special weapons or else they're just overpriced, less-useful cultists.

Venomcrawlers have a lot of D2 bullets, fast movement, and a big ol' base. However, they're pretty expensive compared to other errand-runner units like raptors or bikes, and their shooting just won't get much done, even with 12 shots. Plus, they can't duck into a quick melee to avoid shooting, they're harder to hide, and they don't have interesting reserves shenanigans. They're fine, they're just our fourth- or fifth-best utility MSU-style unit and too expensive to be impressive right now.

Terrible units:
Don't bother unless you have some brain genius plan or just love the miniatures.

Dark Apostles have amazing models but suck really bad. They take up too much space in a transport, have a weaker buff than a Lord or MOE. Why is their melee so bad on top? Useless unless they're ever allowed to be added to ACs at the same time as a DC.

The Demon Prince on foot is worthless. Cover is easy to get and his melee is pathetic for his cost. He'll never be cheap enough to be worth bothering with, and needs a full redesign.

Khorne Berzerkers are 100 points and worse in CSM than both cheaper Legionaries and only-slightly-more-expensive Chosen. They need the WE rules to work and you don't have those.

Lords Discordant are bad. Their damage output sucks and they don't do anything noteworthy. Needs a redesign.

Lucius the Eternal is great on paper but Noise Marines aren't a melee unit and he doesn't actually turn a block of Legionaries into a threat. Making him your warlord allows six units of NMs but no non-Slaanesh demons. Bad trade unless you're down with the clown.

Sorcerers (in power armor) are feeble in combat and -1 to hit isn't worth the character slot. Dark Obscuration exists, too.

Vashtorr has useless abilities, mediocre melee against anything but a vehicle, and just to add insult to injury, no mark of Chaos. Weird bad unit.

Chaos Spawn are objective sitters in an army with a million better options in that niche.

Fellgor Raiders are squishy and terrible at everything except charging into a melee they will almost certainly lose. If you put them in a Rhino, the Rhino gets a 6" scout move, which is kinda funny.

Heldrakes are way, way too expensive. Their melee in hover mode might be interesting since there are so many weird flying units, but not interesting enough to justify 205 points.

Maulerfiends are dedicated melee tanks that have too few attacks to clear units and too little AP to menace vehicles reliably. Maneuvering a melee-only vehicle this large just isn't practical.

Wow this turned into a way longer post than I initially meant to make, huh. Anything else I didn't mention I haven't tried or forgot about, and AFAIK doesn't see any play to speak of.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 2, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
btw if your local playgroup or tournaments allow legends units, please make them regret it by playing a spartan. that tank is two land raiders taped together for 300 points, it's absurd

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Harvey Mantaco posted:

That looks amazing

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
So it turns out if you cut off the pins and shave down the rims of the holes the leg pins are meant to fit into, and do some basic other trimming of various prominences, you can pretty much swap any set of Von Ryan's Leaper limbs onto any Von Ryan's Leaper torso. Left models are the stock assemblies, right models are the reposes (sorted by legs). There's exactly two spots where I'll need to fill a gap with green stuff, both in the right rear pelvis gap of reposes 1 and 2.

(Repose 1 is admittedly kind of weak.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 24, 2023

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

the other things that make it pretty sweet to be a word bearer right now—you can ally in 500 pts of daemons for free! the other equally huge thing is that dark pact as a rule is just extremely word bearersy, it’s much more a word bearers rule than, say, a black legion one

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Thanks! I've read every word of this and I will 100% come back later and re-read it when I see what list I can put together using your advice.

I don't own a dark commune or a lord with a hammer but sounds like I should pick some up.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 24, 2023

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

holy loving poo poo dude :eyepop:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kitchner posted:

I don't own a dark commune or a lord with a hammer but sounds like I should pick some up.

Dark Communes are a must-have for Accursed Cultists but they are incredibly bitsbox-friendly. You need a leader (ideally with a staff of some kind), two melee guys with some kinda bladed weapons, a psyker or sorcerer, and someone carrying a banner or icon. None of them have any guns or armor to speak of, and none of them are particularly big and mean except for maybe the blade guys. They all go on 32mm bases.

There is a decent chance you can scrounge this up from any decent collection of fantasy models. There's no reason they'd have to be humans instead of demons, beastmen, or whatever mean humanoids you have on hand.

For a Chaos Lord, it's specifically a demon hammer, so a mace or mutated bludgeoning limb are workable modeling options. A fist is also almost as good stat-wise, and pretty much any mean-looking claw reads as a fist. A Master of Executions is also a perfectly fine choice instead of a Lord, and that is just a mean-looking guy with a mean-looking axe. (I use a lightly modified Axe Praetor from 30K myself, since I think the official mini is too goofy.) I'm fairly confident you could make something nice-looking out of the Legionaries, Chosen, Plague Marines, or Berzerkers boxes, or even something like the 30K tactical squad boxes. All you'd need to scrounge is a 40mm base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Wow, this is incredible work!