Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Thanks, that's a really good way of explaining it. I might actually have to use your post directly the next time this all inevitably comes up with my family.

And coming at it from a slightly different angle regarding your last paragraph - if COVID minimizers who are otherwise politically aware are able to see through the much more subtle propaganda on other issues, then why aren't they able to see through the much more blatant propaganda when it comes to COVID? It suggests to me that the issue isn't that they can't see through it, but it's ultimately that they're choosing to go along with it because not doing so would mean they'd have to make actual changes in their day to day lives (i.e., mask consistently, not go to restaurants, etc.), whereas with other issues they can just point out "that's bad" without having to walk any sort of walk.

This too, it is so bewildering how COVID always seems to be an exempt issue. "Yup we are going to brunch in a pandemic but we're going to that good place that stopped using plastic straws!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Vaccine trip report: girlfriend and I got both our Moderna booster (and I saw the box said 2023-2024 formulation) and flu shot. No issues with insurance and we were in and out of CVS in 5 minutes. 10/10 would get stabbed again.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

i have a rough time with either shot after i get em so i spread out injections. but props to anyone who can handle both.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

CoasterMaster posted:

Vaccine trip report: girlfriend and I got both our Moderna booster (and I saw the box said 2023-2024 formulation) and flu shot. No issues with insurance and we were in and out of CVS in 5 minutes. 10/10 would get stabbed again.

Well, anyone can make a mistake. The system is actually designed to be a Sisyphean task, intended to make you question your sanity.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

celadon posted:

i think WAIST's point is essentially that if people arent responsible for being susceptible to propaganda regarding a directly impactful and lethal disease that harms them and their community, they're not responsible for being susceptible to any propaganda at all, and basically any sort of leftist agitation is a wild fools dream and believing in leftward movement reveals one to be essentially of a childlike mind.

correct. propaganda is not effective when the propagandist has no material power with which to back it up. in the core, this may as well be that leftist propaganda is not effective, or at least only temporarily and at very small scale.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Indoor Dying posted:

This too, it is so bewildering how COVID always seems to be an exempt issue. "Yup we are going to brunch in a pandemic but we're going to that good place that stopped using plastic straws!"

I think it's an easy opinions vs hard opinions thing. You can think whatever you want about most topics and it won't have any bearing on what you're doing with yourself most days. You open up a news website and there's all the day's stories, and you can feel very strongly about as many of them as you like all day long while going through your normal routine. You can go to that concert and grandma's house and everywhere else no matter how you feel about any of them, it's great and super easy.

One of the things about covid is that there's a kaleidoscopic array of easy opinions you can have that still fully allow you to do whatever the gently caress you feel like, and then there's a very small range of hard opinions that mean you actually have to do stuff. Because we live in a marketplace of ideas where everyone is free to choose a fully customized set of personal truths, the ideas that involve forgoing stuff end up being pretty unpopular. There are a bunch of variations on "it's fine to get on a plane while you have covid," there's one that says it isn't, and that one involves inconvenience, so nobody's going to pick it.

Real Mean Queen has issued a correction as of 00:00 on Sep 24, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
New York Times: In Hospitals, Viruses Are Everywhere. Masks Are Not.

Amid an uptick in Covid infections, administrators, staff and patients are divided over the need for masks in health care settings.

By Apoorva Mandavilli
Sept. 23, 2023

Liv Grace came down with respiratory infections three times over the course of four months. Each occurred after a visit to a medical provider in the Bay Area.

Mx. Grace, 36, a writer who uses they/them pronouns, was infected with respiratory syncytial virus, which led to pneumonia, in December, after they were treated by a nurse wearing a surgical mask who complained about her children being ill with the virus.

Mx. Grace got Covid after a visit to a cancer center for an infusion in February. And there was the pale, coughing phlebotomist who drew blood in April, just before they came down with Covid again.

Mx. Grace was born with a rare immune deficiency related to lupus and takes a medication that depletes the cells that produce antibodies. The combination renders the body unable to fend off pathogens or to recover quickly from infections.

Since the pandemic began, Mx. Grace has rarely ventured anywhere other than health care facilities. But hospitals, by their nature, tend to be hotbeds of illnesses, including Covid, even when community rates are relatively low.

“People like me who are very high risk and very susceptible will still get sick when we’re sitting in, like, virus soup,” Mx. Grace said.

Facing a potential wave of coronavirus infections this fall and winter, relatively few hospitals — mostly in New York, Massachusetts and California — have restored mask mandates for patients and staff members. The vast majority have not, and almost none require them for visitors.

By Thursday, several Bay Area counties had announced mask mandates for staff members of health care facilities that treat high-risk patients, including infusion centers, effective Nov. 1.

The order does not apply to facilities in Berkeley, including Alta Bates Summit Center — a part of the Sutter Health network — where Mx. Grace was treated.

“We continue to monitor the impact of Covid-19 in our communities, and work with state and local health departments to ensure any additional masking and public health requirements are incorporated into our policies,” a spokeswoman for Sutter Health said in a statement.

Among patients, health care workers and public health experts, opinions are sharply divided over whether and when to institute masking mandates in hospitals.

Brigham and Women’s Hospital, which is part of the Mass General Brigham system, currently requires masks only in inpatient settings. Yet some of its own experts disagree with the policy.

Hospitals have an ethical obligation to prevent patients from becoming infected on site, regardless of what they might choose to do elsewhere, said Dr. Michael Klompas, a hospital epidemiologist at Brigham and Women’s.

“That’s their prerogative,” he said of patients taking risks outside the health care setting. “But in our hospital, we should protect them.”

In August, Dr. Klompas and his colleagues published a paper showing that masking and screening for Covid at Brigham and Women’s also decreased flu and R.S.V. infections by about 50 percent.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that hospitals consider putting masking in place when levels of respiratory infections rise, especially in urgent care and emergency rooms, or when treating high-risk patients.

But the guidelines do not specify what the benchmarks should be, leaving each hospital to choose its own criteria.

Ideally, every patient would be given a mask on arrival at an emergency room or urgent care, and asked to wear it regardless of symptoms, said Saskia Popescu, an infection control expert at the University of Maryland.

But hospitals also must reckon with the backlash against masking in large swaths of the population. “Now that we’re not in this emergent state with Covid, I think that’s going to be the most challenging, especially since masks have been so politicized,” she said.

As a result, in emergency rooms at many hospitals — like Banner-University Medical Center Tucson, in Arizona, and Kaiser Permanente Sunnyside Medical Center, outside Portland, Ore. — patients with Covid sit alongside older adults, pregnant women and those with conditions like diabetes that put them at high risk should they become infected.

A very few hospitals that predominantly treat immunocompromised patients, such as City of Hope, a cancer-treatment center in Los Angeles, have maintained universal masking. But some of the nation’s most prestigious hospital systems don’t require masks even in their cancer centers, where severely immunocompromised patients like Mx. Grace receive infusions.

“Just do whatever you want — that’s essentially what the C.D.C. guidance says, at this point, in terms of universal masking,” said Jane Thomason, lead industrial hygienist for National Nurses United, which represents nearly 225,000 registered nurses.

The guidelines give hospitals “permission to prioritize profits over protecting nurses and patients,” Ms. Thomason said. The union has called for stronger protections, including the use of N95 respirators, to protect health care workers, patients and visitors.

A recent study found that more cancer patients died of Covid during the Omicron surge than in the first winter wave, in part because people around them had stopped taking precautions.

But partial masking — say, only in units with high-risk patients — may still endanger patients, said Dr. Eric Chow, head of communicable diseases at Public Health — Seattle & King County, in Washington State. People at high risk “are scattered throughout the hospital,” he said. “They are not necessarily confined to one specific space.”

Until Thursday, hospitals in the Emory Healthcare system required staff members to mask only when interacting with inpatients. It now also requires masks for staff members working in high-risk settings, such as cancer centers.

Emory’s Winship Cancer Institute in Atlanta changed its policy “based upon the currently increasing prevalence of and hospitalizations from Covid-19 and other respiratory illnesses in the community,” Andrea Clement, associate director of public relations for the institute, said in a statement.

Staff members are now required to mask anywhere they might encounter patients, including lobbies, elevators and stairwells. Masking for patients and visitors is “encouraged,” but not required.

Mass General Brigham is evaluating new criteria for reintroducing masking, such as the proportion of people in its emergency rooms with respiratory illness, admissions for such illnesses and wastewater data, said Dr. Erica Shenoy, the hospital system’s chief of infection control.

In June, Dr. Shenoy and her colleagues argued in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine that the time for universal masking had passed, partly because most interactions between patients and health care personnel are brief.

In response to criticism from scientists, they later cited results from an unpublished study showing that only 9 percent of people without symptoms carried infectious coronavirus.

“The fact is that the conditions for Covid have changed dramatically,” Dr. Shenoy said in an interview. “It’s important from a policy perspective to have an open mind and to be able to reflect and revise our policies as we go along.”

But several experts, including Dr. Klompas, said that stance underestimated the long-term effects of other respiratory infections, like influenza and R.S.V.

Respiratory viruses can unmask or exacerbate chronic conditions of the heart, lung or kidneys and trigger autoimmune conditions. “It’s much bigger than simply the actual infection,” Dr. Klompas said.

The C.D.C.’s infection-control guidelines date to 2007 and are being revised by an advisory committee. The process has been fraught with controversy: Critics fear that the recommendations will be too modest to protect patients and staff members. (Dr. Shenoy is one of eight committee members, and a co-author of the June editorial, Dr. Sharon Wright, is its co-chair.)

In July, National Nurses United delivered a petition to Dr. Mandy Cohen, the C.D.C. director, that was signed by hundreds of experts in health care, virology and infection control, and dozens of unions and public health organizations.

The petition criticized the infection-control committee as lacking in diversity of expertise and its decision-making as opaque. The committee did not seem to recognize how the coronavirus spreads indoors, and the need for N95 or similar respirators that block virus particles effectively, the petition said.

The advisers were scheduled to vote on the changes at a meeting in August, but deferred the vote to November. During a public comment period at an August meeting, several people, including Mx. Grace, expressed dismay at the draft guidelines, which they said were inadequate and endangered their lives.

The repeated infections have taken a toll on Mx. Grace, triggering more frequent migraines and brain seizures and leaving them afraid to seek care even when they need it.

Before the pandemic, hospitals were less dangerous because staff members often wore masks, and people in waiting rooms and elevators were likely to be sick only in the late fall or winter, Mx. Grace said.

“It was still scary,” Mx. Grace said. But there wasn’t a “negative attitude around asking for more precautions.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Real Mean Queen posted:

There are a bunch of variations on "it's fine to get on a plane while you have covid,"

Here’s one from the writer of the article that I just quoted.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/28/podcasts/the-daily/most-of-us-have-had-covid.html posted:

Sabrina Tavernise
So Apoorva, I have a provocative question. Let’s say I do test positive, and I have some symptoms— sore throat, runny nose. But I’m vaccinated. So for me, it’s kind of like I just have a cold. And theoretically, I could take Paxlovid, make sure I don’t get super sick. Can I get on a plane and go on my vacation or go on a business trip, like I would have done before Covid? If I just had a runny nose, I probably would have gotten on a plane.

Apoorva Mandavilli
Well, you can’t forget that there are people all around you who might actually be much more vulnerable than you are, who might be vaccinated and boosted and still be at risk, or might not be vaccinated. I would say, if you can, not put other people at risk and stay home, you should. If it’s unavoidable, then do everything you can to make sure that you’re not going to pass it on to somebody else.

Sabrina Tavernise
So if I wear an N95 the whole time, I am not a monster if I get on the plane.

Apoorva Mandavilli
No, you’re not a monster. But it’s really just about weighing costs and benefits for everyone involved, not just yourself, because we do live in a society. So you have to think about what you would be giving up if you didn’t go and what somebody else might be giving up if they did go, and they were next to you. And you take all of that into account. And you have to make a decision for you.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Real Mean Queen posted:

I think it's an easy opinions vs hard opinions thing. You can think whatever you want about most topics and it won't have any bearing on what you're doing with yourself most days. You open up a news website and there's all the day's stories, and you can feel very strongly about as many of them as you like all day long while going through your normal routine. You can go to that concert and grandma's house and everywhere else no matter how you feel about any of them, it's great and super easy.

One of the things about covid is that there's a kaleidoscopic array of easy opinions you can have that still fully allow you to do whatever the gently caress you feel like, and then there's a very small range of hard opinions that mean you actually have to do stuff. Because we live in a marketplace of ideas where everyone is free to choose a fully customized set of personal truths, the ideas that involve forgoing stuff end up being pretty unpopular. There are a bunch of variations on "it's fine to get on a plane while you have covid," there's one that says it isn't, and that one involves inconvenience, so nobody's going to pick it.

what if you could influence which opinions are easy and which are hard, and created some sort of self organized system to ensure the easy opinions are those that support and reinforce the stability of capital, while those that threaten and undermine it are hard?

:nsa:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

quote:

Apoorva Mandavilli
No, you’re not a monster. But it’s really just about weighing costs and benefits for everyone involved, not just yourself, because we do live in a society. So you have to think about what you would be giving up if you didn’t go and what somebody else might be giving up if they did go, and they were next to you. And you take all of that into account. And you have to make a decision for you.
When all this was starting back in 2020, a covid+ woman from Wuhan bragged on social media about using fever reducers to evade temperature scanners, then hopping on a plane to head to her 3-Michelin-star reservation in France. Imagine what she would've been giving up by not going!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zodium posted:

what if you could influence which opinions are easy and which are hard, and created some sort of self organized system to ensure the easy opinions are those that support and reinforce the stability of capital, while those that threaten and undermine it are hard?

:nsa:

That’s a hell of an act. What do you call it?

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Real Mean Queen posted:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Real Mean Queen posted:

:hmmyes:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Platystemon posted:

Here’s one from the writer of the article that I just quoted.

quote:

we do live in a society

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

tangy yet delightful posted:

Can I interest you in maybe some RSV vaccine instead?

I know this was meant to be sassy, but I'm intrigued. When I got my Moderna jab last week, the pharmacist asked if I was going to get the RSV vaccine. I said that I was too young, and she told me that if I could get a prescription for it, age didn't matter.

There's really no way I can get a 'script for that legitimately. I do like vaccines, though.

Is there a way to get the RSV shot without either qualifying conditions or doctor approval? And does anyone know the out of pocket cost?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Platystemon posted:

That’s a hell of an act. What do you call it?

the democrats

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

imagine the satisfaction of setting up this gotcha

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1705320393337159768

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Real Mean Queen posted:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Why Am I So Tired posted:

It suggests to me that the issue isn't that they can't see through it, but it's ultimately that they're choosing to go along with it because not doing so would mean they'd have to make actual changes in their day to day lives (i.e., mask consistently, not go to restaurants, etc.), whereas with other issues they can just point out "that's bad" without having to walk any sort of walk.

it's this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I know this was meant to be sassy, but I'm intrigued. When I got my Moderna jab last week, the pharmacist asked if I was going to get the RSV vaccine. I said that I was too young, and she told me that if I could get a prescription for it, age didn't matter.

There's really no way I can get a 'script for that legitimately. I do like vaccines, though.

Is there a way to get the RSV shot without either qualifying conditions or doctor approval? And does anyone know the out of pocket cost?

Some states allow pharmacists to use their own professional judgement. Others require an MD to sign off.

https://naspa.us/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Pharmacist-Immunization-Authority-April-2023.pdf

e: Cost is potentially three hundred and thirty dollars.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 01:51 on Sep 24, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

DominoKitten posted:

doesn't help that this guy sounds like he's about to fall over at any moment.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I don’t know if they are a real doctor, but they’ve at least represented themselves as one on Reddit for years.

One response,

quote:

RSV season was a complete disaster last winter. Every time I called the Peds ER about sending in a hypoxic, wheezing infant, I was informed that they were boarding between 10-20 kids in the ER on oxygen because the wards were full. This was the case from late October 2022- February 2023.

I had an 8 month old who boarded in the ER for 36 hours before finally getting a bed in the Peds wards. I had a 9 month old who was as sent home from that same ER because he was holding sats of 92% with RSV bronchiolitis. I seriously considered getting an oxygen supply for home use in my patients because they couldn’t rely on access to care in the hospitals.

I’m recommending the vaccine for all pregnant people and the monoclonal antibody for every infant who qualifies. RSV is the specter looming over every winter of my career.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Platystemon posted:

Some states allow pharmacists to use their own professional judgement. Others require an MD to sign off.

Potential yay!

quote:

Definite boo!

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
https://wellbefore.com/products/3d-kf94-style-kn95-pro-mask-with-adjustable-ear-loops

Trip report: with head straps, it fits like an aura but is more breathable, and fits my spouse's tall mug with a huge lower pocket under the chin. Awesome, comes in a very handsome denim as well as black, for those who are looking for an aura that doesn't stand out.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Platystemon posted:

https://naspa.us/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Pharmacist-Immunization-Authority-April-2023.pdf

could be wrong but I think the caveat here is that in order for a pharmacist to administer a vax without an Rx it has to be appropriate according to the adult immunization schedule.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DominoKitten posted:

I identify as a healthy American

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

brap posted:

I
*wheeze*
identify as a
*cough cough*
healthy American

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Insanite posted:

wasn't part of the open biden rush about beating OSHA to issuing some sort of covid guidance that might've opened employers up to liability?

i might be half-remembering it, but i recall that being the word at the time.

The political and bureaucratic apparatus in this country appears to be a corpse to superficial inspection but some folks at OSHA looked at COVID and were like "drat, this is a workplace hazard" and wrote a bunch of draft rules about mitigating it that leaked onto the internet in April 2021. Rules that, if they were put into force, would have made employers liable for people getting injured by COVID if they contracted it on the job and the employer was found to not be following the rules on things like air quality control. Plus the precedent that if those rules were strengthened later, people would have to comply or face regulatory action or lawsuits.

That dead-rear end could not be allowed to happen. The biden admin ripping their masks off in June 2021 and saying covid is over, mild, and fine, even as Delta was ripping through India so badly they ran out of wood for the funerary pyres in Delhi was the direct reaction of the entrenched neoliberal elites to a state bureaucracy that isn't fully captured trying to do its job. You want to try to protect people from a disease? gently caress you, we'll re-invent reality and disappear the disease entirely. That was the response. OSHA leadership scrapped almost the entirety of the draft rules and the rest is history.

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/safety/osha-covid-19-rule-intended-to-cover-all-workers-draft-shows

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

my favorite part is when he started stumbling over his words trying to get a burn in about the vaccine

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Doublethink, brain fog, or just evil? In the same uninterrupted monologue Clay Higgins says he has been "granted" strong natural immunity, and is a healthy 'merican, but then talks about the multiple times he has had covid. (and the 2nd time is when it really laid him out).

Baddog has issued a correction as of 07:07 on Sep 24, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Whenever the issue comes up of "its not individuals, its society, you can't change things on the individual level," it makes me wonder when the gently caress anyone thinks they will change society if there is no discipline or accountability for things that actually are fully within their power now.

Starting up my vanguard party where the rule is that everyone can do whatever they feel like at all times until we get the reins of power, at which point then there are some things everyone has to commit to.

Shiroc has issued a correction as of 07:27 on Sep 24, 2023

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnIk0npINiE&t=32s

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Shiroc posted:

Whenever the issue comes up of "its not individuals, its society, you can't change things on the individual level," it makes me wonder when the gently caress anyone thinks they will change society if there is no discipline or accountability for things that actually are fully within their power now.

Starting up my vanguard party where the rule is that everyone can do whatever they feel like at all times until we get the reigns of power, at which point then there are some things everyone has to commit to.

back in high school debate class it was a common thing for people to chalk up problems to “it’s society” like they’re a constant of life until one girl said “we are society! if we don’t take responsibility for fixing things they’ll never get done”

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Shiroc posted:

Starting up my vanguard party where the rule is that everyone can do whatever they feel like at all times until we get the reigns of power, at which point then there are some things everyone has to commit to.

The same mindset permeates through the biosphere thread. There is no consumer choice, but it's a tragedy that the push for more cattle is destroying the rainforest, don't suggest I should stop buying meat though.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Holding the Marxist position that the current arrangement of society is an unchangeable dark god beyond the will or influence of mortals.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shiroc posted:

Starting up my vanguard party where the rule is that everyone can do whatever they feel like at all times until we get the reins of power, at which point then there are some things everyone has to commit to.

:yeah:

"individual choices have no impact" is a mantra to justify the status quo imo.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Heh, trying to start a union? Isn't that really just a bunch of individuals thinking they can change things by agreeing to take certain actions together? Don't waste your time.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

DominoKitten posted:

idk how he does it from beyond the grave but this norm macdonald character rules

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

euphronius posted:

maybe that’s why you are so tired ??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

DickParasite posted:

:yeah:

"individual choices have no impact" is a mantra to justify the status quo imo.

There are problems for which, even with perfect behavior by everyone with no real power in a society overnight, would not be solved. Climate change is one of those. Eating less meat is good for you, but will not meaningfully impact international shipping, for example. These are societal level problems that must be solved via other means.
:guillotine:

Covid-19 however, IS one of those that can be solved by everyone lacking real power.