Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Insanite posted:

I do not think the original post was doing parasocial weirdness. felt more like, “here’s yet another person who had an unexpected and serious health event, and the language in the announcement made my brain twinge in that now familiar way.”

Remembering things is a lockdown. Pattern recognition: oh buddy you better believe that's a lockdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Insanite posted:

I do not think the original post was doing parasocial weirdness. felt more like, “here’s yet another person who had an unexpected and serious health event, and the language in the announcement made my brain twinge in that now familiar way.”

That's something you shouldn't speculate about itt when it's with regards to the health of a random stranger or celebrity

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

toggle posted:

if someone goes to work ill with covid, infects a coworker and that person is either maimed or dies, is the infector a bio terrorist?

It is misguided to blame the last individual in a long chain of infections for the consequences of a disease that has been designated normal by political authorities. There is a whole slew of public health failures behind every infection and that gets obscured when you focus the blame on individuals.

For comparison would you label someone that transmits HIV a bio-terrorist or criminal and prosecute them accordingly? That makes sense if your goal is to punish people, but it's a terrible idea when trying to reduce the spread of HIV. Practically it would provide a huge disincentive for anyone to ever get tested. It would also disproportionately impact society's underclass as they're made more vulnerable to disease generally. It's the same for all infectious disease.

That said going to work or a public place while sick when you didn't have to and getting other people sick makes you a jerk and the large majority of people are clear on this. But even then workers are usually expected to show up to work even if they're sick, the individual sick people aren't the problem.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

emgeejay posted:

my mother-in-law was feeling sick this week. tested positive. she’s taken many rapid tests over the years but never tested positive before.

she tested negative the next day. so now assumes the positive test was faulty.

she would never assume any of the past, negative tests were ever faulty. but now will continue to operate as if she’s never had covid. even though she’s surely caught it at least one of the times it’s ripped through her community over these last few years. and even though she just tested positive.

sick with covid, not sick of covid

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

For comparison would you label someone that transmits HIV a bio-terrorist or criminal and prosecute them accordingly? That makes sense if your goal is to punish people, but it's a terrible idea when trying to reduce the spread of HIV. Practically it would provide a huge disincentive for anyone to ever get tested. It would also disproportionately impact society's underclass as they're made more vulnerable to disease generally. It's the same for all infectious disease..

if they knew about having hiv and did it on purpose, yes

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Remembering things is a lockdown. Pattern recognition: oh buddy you better believe that's a lockdown.

pattern recognition is bad vibes. so is discourse analysis, i guess.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I mean, at least I don't go to work and have sex with my coworkers 12-20 times per minute

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Maed posted:

if they knew about having hiv and did it on purpose, yes

Reactionary conservatives agree with you and happily pass laws criminalizing transmission while defunding health services. People that actually want to mitigate community spread of infectious disease oppose such laws because they are counter productive. They make the problem worse.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
when Covid was first popping off and there were government rules about masking or what fraction of capacity was allowed in a given room etc etc I was kind of hoping to see some sort of liability to companies that shirked those rules.

I know my company in WA completely ignored masking requirements and the 25% of capacity, honesty even saying we were necessary was kind of questionable because most of our major contracts are gov and they were all still shut down.

I agree individual liability would be a bit much but if schools or businesses etc actually got slammed for negligence when they got a bunch of people sick it would probably yield a better overall response.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

PoundSand posted:

when Covid was first popping off and there were government rules about masking or what fraction of capacity was allowed in a given room etc etc I was kind of hoping to see some sort of liability to companies that shirked those rules.

I know my company in WA completely ignored masking requirements and the 25% of capacity, honesty even saying we were necessary was kind of questionable because most of our major contracts are gov and they were all still shut down.

I agree individual liability would be a bit much but if schools or businesses etc actually got slammed for negligence when they got a bunch of people sick it would probably yield a better overall response.

wasn't part of the open biden rush about beating OSHA to issuing some sort of covid guidance that might've opened employers up to liability?

i might be half-remembering it, but i recall that being the word at the time.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Insanite posted:

wasn't part of the open biden rush about beating OSHA to issuing some sort of covid guidance that might've opened employers up to liability?

Yeah there was some sort of meeting or committee vote that was actively hosed with, because if OSHA got involved there would have been trillions of dollars spent on upgrading buildings and infrastructure.

Instead they did the opposite and sent kids back to schools and the money to the cops and Ukraine

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

toggle posted:

if someone goes to work ill with covid, infects a coworker and that person is either maimed or dies, is the infector a bio terrorist?

Yes. (Knowingly.)

Strep Vote has issued a correction as of 15:32 on Sep 23, 2023

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

For reference even the CDC considers criminalizing HIV transmission to be ineffective, unscientific and outdated:

quote:

HIV Criminalization and Ending the HIV Epidemic in the U.S.
Print
Updated January 19, 2023

Ending the HIV Epidemic in the U.S. requires addressing structural barriers to HIV prevention and care. Current scientific and medical evidence should inform state laws and practices that criminalize actions taken by people with HIV. States should consider updating or repealing outdated laws and practices.

After more than 40 years of HIV research and significant biomedical advancements to treat and prevent HIV, most HIV criminalization laws do not reflect current scientific and medical evidence.

Many of these laws were passed at a time when very little was known about HIV, including how HIV was transmitted and should be treated.
These laws have not increased disclosure and may discourage HIV testing, increase stigma against people with HIV, and exacerbate disparities.

Public health organizations are very clear in their opposition to these laws, just one example out of many from the American Academy of HIV Medicine:

quote:

The American Academy of HIV Medicine (AAHIVM) and its members are opposed to laws that distinguish HIV disease from other comparable diseases or that create disproportionate penalties for disclosure, exposure or transmission of HIV disease beyond normal public health ordinances. We support non-punitive prevention approaches to HIV centered on current scientific understanding and evidence-based research.
The opinions of people concerned with solving public health problems oppose criminalizing infectious disease transmission. It's a social systemic problem, not a criminal matter. They also don't work and in practice are used as a bludgeon against members of social underclasses that are made most vulnerable by society to the diseases in the first place. There's no valid reason to support criminalizing or labeling transmission "terrorism" or whatever aside from the desire to punish. That's the real reason conservatives love these types of laws.

Insanite posted:

You are absolutely correct and IMO it was one of the key events in the American COVID response. IIRC there were even some leaked draft OSHA guidelines that labeled COVID an "airborne workplace hazard" but I can't find them. Does anyone else recall this?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

You are absolutely correct and IMO it was one of the key events in the American COVID response. IIRC there were even some leaked draft OSHA guidelines that labeled COVID an "airborne workplace hazard" but I can't find them. Does anyone else recall this?

google is useless. kagi slightly better. this might help narrow down timing:

https://scrippsnews.com/stories/osha-still-undecided-on-air-quality-rules-amid-covid/

quote:

OSHA is weeks behind schedule in deciding whether to issue emergency COVID standards that could include mandatory air quality rules.

The agency says it is taking time to weigh pros and cons, hearing opposition from business interest groups.

lol

e: getting closer:

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-labor-report/critics-of-osha-virus-rule-urge-white-house-to-ditch-rulemaking

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-labor-report/osha-covid-19-rule-intended-to-cover-all-workers-draft-shows

https://aboutblaw.com/Yj6

https://twitter.com/wsbgnl/status/1525177114542080000?s=20

Insanite has issued a correction as of 16:08 on Sep 23, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

first dose of Paxlovid onboard

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

yeah if you follow this link chain you get to

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/safety/covid-19-workplace-safety-rule-for-health-care-released-by-osha

june 10th, where it was published to the public, and significantly edited to restrict applicability to Healthcare settings only lmfao

a nice ouroboros of self-justification. Decision-based evidence-making at its finest. chef's kiss, no notes, etc blah blah

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Nocturtle posted:

For reference even the CDC considers criminalizing HIV transmission to be ineffective, unscientific and outdated:

Public health organizations are very clear in their opposition to these laws, just one example out of many from the American Academy of HIV Medicine:

Did I say criminalize? Yes you are a bioterrorist and you will not be punished. That's what this comes down to. Yes, it is immoral and a sin to knowingly spread disease, and you are also free to kill as many people as you like in this society as long as they are peons and you have plausible deniability.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what happened to Walensky

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Lol this is wild and worse in every way than the Trump admin’s reaction to the virus

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Lol this is wild and worse in every way than the Trump admin’s reaction to the virus
Listen bub, we got an election coming up. Bad time to piss off the voters.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

euphronius posted:

jesus CHRIST

https://petrieflom.law.harvard.edu/resources/article/rochelle-walensky-senior-academic-fellow

that particular thinktank has been publishing people like Nate Holdren etc throughout the pandemic on their blog, and has been one of the last bastions of criticism in academia lol

for example: this on July 5th a degree of rhetoric that is almost totally absent otherwhere in universities

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 16:27 on Sep 23, 2023

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

euphronius posted:

past a certain point of power and privilege you can only fail upwards

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
tbf she was already on faculty back in 2020 when she was appointed to the CDC so it's more like failing back to baseline

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

euphronius posted:

https://apnews.com/article/cdc-director-walensky-resigns-d0755409e7c0934e14b212589ce388b9# posted:

Walensky’s last day at CDC is June 30. She does not have a new job or other role lined up, she said, saying she wanted to spend some time with her family, living at a slower pace.

edit: oh dang looks like there’s a new job now after all

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

these fuckers lol

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

tbf she was already on faculty back in 2020 when she was appointed to the CDC so it's more like failing back to baseline

she was at harvard medical (decent grift, but some amount of science kayfabe is still required at times)

now she's jointly at harvard's kennedy school of government (!), harvard law (!!) and business school (!!!).

fuckin that is how you grift.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

i know folks here think that the biden government is acting maliciously with making decisions like keeping schools open and not enacting mask mandates

but have you considered that its election season and also covid is over?

maybe humble you're selfs.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Too Many Birds posted:

i know folks here think that the biden government is acting maliciously with making decisions like keeping schools open and not enacting mask mandates

but have you considered that its election season and also covid is over?

maybe humble you're selfs.

roevid is joever

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

oh and it is important for those of you with brains not-broken-enough to be familiar with the apocrypha of academia, the titles of her new affiliations:

"Senior Academic Fellow" (Harvard Law);

"Research Fellow" (Kennedy School of Government); and

"Executive Fellow" (Harvard Biz)

means that between the three she'll probably clear north of a million a year to do absolutely loving nothing. They'll have her give a talk or three, but she'll charge for those.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

in some better news. my friend i was worried about not taking pax texted me last night after my post and said they are actually going to start the pax because their symptoms were getting worse.

maybe it was synchronicity, maybe they still have an account on SA and saw my post, who knows. just glad they changed their mind. :unsmith:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

if you don’t mind looking silly, Blox duckbills are N95 and I find them more comfortable than the Auras. also, they are dirt cheap now.

https://bloxdirect.com/products/blox-n95?variant=41171140575388

Thanks for this, I got a few to test out and having had to actually use them at home nearly non-stop I find them generally more comfortable than Auras. On one hand they seal under the chin better than Auras, which dislodge when moving my jaw. On the other hand, the more flexible nose clip makes the Blox mask easier to pull down off your nose, which isn't normally a problem except when I was trying to sleep in it. I think I'll stick to a bifold KN95 when sleeping next time.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

cvs canceled my appointment because they didn’t have enough doses. :thumbsup:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Friend was going to her booster from a school based event with the flu shot and such and they got no doses and cancelled.

Incredible supply chain we got here.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

captainbananas posted:

oh and it is important for those of you with brains not-broken-enough to be familiar with the apocrypha of academia, the titles of her new affiliations:

"Senior Academic Fellow" (Harvard Law);

"Research Fellow" (Kennedy School of Government); and

"Executive Fellow" (Harvard Biz)

means that between the three she'll probably clear north of a million a year to do absolutely loving nothing. They'll have her give a talk or three, but she'll charge for those.

And the people who have captured our government are so filthy rich that paying this lady off like this for manufacturing consent for a year is like buying a cup of coffee to them.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Look, kids with a deadly, disabling vascular disease that's also the most transmissible disease in history need to be in school, their mental health and social development would be irreparably harmed without getting screamed at to stop talking by a teacher currently being disabled by that disease.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:rubby:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2023/09/23/covid-vaccine-insurance-denials-cancellations/70918394007/ posted:

COVID vaccine rollout snarled by insurance denials, canceled appointments

Some consumers trying to get updated versions of the COVID-19 vaccine this week have encountered red tape, canceled appointments and delays getting private insurance to cover the shots.
(..)
"It's pretty much par for the course with the U.S. health care system and the patchwork nature of it," said Sabrina Corlette, founder, and co-director of the Center on Health Insurance Reforms at Georgetown University's McCourt School of Public Policy.
(..)
Health expert struggles to get vaccinated
As vice president and director of the ACA at the health policy foundation KFF, Cynthia Cox is well versed in the nuances of the health insurance industry and U.S. health care system.

Yet even she struggled to get a timely shot.

She tried to get vaccinated on Tuesday ahead of a work trip next week, but her health insurer's in-network pharmacies didn't have any vaccines in stock.

She was willing to pay the $200 out of pocket at a Washington D.C.-area Walgreens pharmacy that wasn't part of her insurer's network. When she attempted to do so, the Walgreens employee contacted her insurer, and a representative for the insurance provider informed Cox that she would need prior authorization to get vaccinated out of network. The insurer even requested that Cox track down her doctor's fax number as part of the process.

The end result – Cox didn't get the shot, even though she was willing to pay out of pocket. She couldn't land an appointment at local CVS stores, and staff at a non-chain pharmacy told her they wouldn't get doses until next week.

She searched her insurer's directory of in-network pharmacies that carry the shot, and she found one in Baltimore, a trip "that's not really a solution for the vast majority of people who live in or around Washington D.C.," she said.

"It was ultimately the insurance bureaucracy that kept me from being able to get the shot, despite the fact that I've been working on insurance policy for over a decade," Cox said.
(..)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
me, a leopard: well I never thought the leopard would eat MY face

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

waiting another business day or two to see if i can ferret out any other novavax details, but i'd be waiting anyway. can't find shots for my family and me, anyway. owns.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
I’ve got my booster appointment this afternoon, so here’s hoping all goes well. except for the fact that I slept, ehhhh last night, so now I get to weigh maybe a worse immune response with being able to find another appointment in who-knows-when since everything is booked up

An incredible system we’ve built.

edit: whelp I have Blue Cross insurance so … lol

CoasterMaster has issued a correction as of 18:03 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iverron
May 13, 2012

24%