Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I just watch movies all the time and a lot of them are horror so I change absolutely nothing. Halloween is forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

MacheteZombie posted:

It's always Halloween in my soul

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

How do you guys usually decide what you're going to watch for October?

I usually just set up everything I haven't watched in front of my TV and then randomly pick from there.

I tried to specifically plan each movie out one year, but it didn't feel as fun, and I like to have friends over and let them choose so they feel like they're involved.

I'm into watching horrors I haven't seen before. I feel like I can watch every decent horror movie ever made, like an idiot. So I have sub-genre lists I work off of and usually just watch the top-rated film in each list (according to Letterboxd), unless I got a copy of a film, in which case I'll watch that. The Spook-a-doodle Challenge has added another little twist each year.

My lists have become pretty eclectic, and I have moments of chucking an old favourite on to wash the taste out every now and again.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i pick movies based on how cool the cover art is

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i pick movies based on how cool the cover art is
:hai:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

I would watch this

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's great. AKA Royal Warriors. Absolute banger. The poster doesn't even do all the insanity justice. Michelle Yeoh Hong Kong action classic.

History of the Occult would make a great doubleheader with The Wolf House incidentally.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's great. AKA Royal Warriors. Absolute banger. The poster doesn't even do all the insanity justice. Michelle Yeoh Hong Kong action classic.

History of the Occult would make a great doubleheader with The Wolf House incidentally.

I love that Michelle Yeoh has broken through in Hollywood, just because it gives us the fact that there is now a Best Actress Oscar winner who has jumped a dirtbike onto a moving train (Police Story 3 loving whips)

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 27, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The wolf house is so loving cool

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah it's one of the few horror movies I've seen in the last few years that legitimately disturbed me. Creepy poo poo. Glad they got work on Beau is Afraid cuz Ari Aster saw that poo poo.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

p. sure I know about Man Bites Dog because of the challenge threads but that's cool right? It's been on my Max watchlist for awhile

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
17 year old me loved it and thought it was genius which is why it's the kind of poo poo I pretty much disliked watching again a few years ago. It's nasty and brutal and mean, one of those French extremity type films that confuses tastelessness for "pushing an artistic boundary" imo but that does work for some people.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I wonder if it's comparable to Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer. Yeah I didn't enjoy that one but I understood it's purpose as a raw, un-Hollywoodized depiction of true horror and violence

Maybe I will watch Man Bites Dog. maybe

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'd maybe still give it a shot just to see what you think I guess, but be warned that it is def one of those brutal "serial killer wanders around killing/torturing/raping people, mostly women" films. A friend once chose it for a movie night he was hosting and yikes that was rough.

Same reason I stopped watching Be My Cat: A Film for Anne. It's a shame because it felt fairly novel and creative for found footage and then it's just like "oh you're just going to be torturing and killing women for ~90 minutes, i'm out". Kinda wish it'd gone more in a Bjork Stalker type direction.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 27, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Justin Godscock posted:

Making my list for the horror challenge and I'm wondering if The Toxic Avenger would count?

I mean, I plan on re-watching the original before seeing the remake but I'm not sure if it counts as "horror" enough to include it. Troma tends to straddle that line at times and while stuff like Poultrygeist can be considered horror a dark, exploitive parody of superhero films might be a stretch. If not, it'll just be something I watch on the side...no biggie.

Toxic Avenger is definitely horror

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Ready or Not rules.

Also, finally finalizing the lineup for our 24/7 horror channel this year and somehow we have accidentally created something with the atmosphere of "the kind of movie channel that's always playing in a slasher movie" :allears: Don't get me wrong, there's lots of stuff we love, but I could totally see some CRT playing The Uninvited, VIY, Dracula's Daughter, or Sole Survivor right before the power cuts and a guy in a mask smashes me through my TV. Looking forward to seeing some of these for the first time. That TV isn't going off for a second. :hai:

Reminds me of how in the 2007 video game The Darkness they stick a bunch of public domain shorts and films in to play on TV's throughout the game and you can just hang around watching them

Also to the suggestions for challenges mine would be "watch a horror film that is Animated rather than Live Action", though maybe for this one the 60 minute minimum runtime rule should be waived since animated horror is more common in short film format than feature film length

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

17 year old me loved it and thought it was genius which is why it's the kind of poo poo I pretty much disliked watching again a few years ago. It's nasty and brutal and mean, one of those French extremity type films that confuses tastelessness for "pushing an artistic boundary" imo but that does work for some people.

It’s Belgian, not French.

Everything else about this post is 100% true and correct though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Xiahou Dun posted:

It’s Belgian, not French.

eh, Tomate/Tomaat

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'll be deep in the cold cold ground before I recognize the independence of the Southern Netherlands.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Belgium is what happens when a real country gets wet.

Like a Shrinky Dink.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

So close...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Um actually Michael myers doesn’t speak 🤓

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
um yeah he does and he just called me on the phone and told me that you stink, teehee

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WOAH

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

If you haven't seen it Heroic Trio is a very fun Hong Kong Michelle Yeoh flick with some great spooky adjacent grotesque flourishes.

Also, slogging through Flanagan's Hill House, and I stand by the assessment that caused me to bounce off early when it first came out. It's Oculus but 10 hours long. thuddingly sentimental, and the we-smeared-vaseline-all-over-the-lens cinematography is ugly as gently caress. I put on Oculus after episode 6 and it's still a banger. Someone force Mikey F to make 90 minute movies again and maybe repeat that no dialog experiment he did with Hush.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Man Bites Dog is a comedy. Its incredibly bleak but there is something outrageously hilarious when they encounter another documentary crew filming basically the same film they're making and murder them

That's loving hilarious.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

How do you guys usually decide what you're going to watch for October?

I usually just set up everything I haven't watched in front of my TV and then randomly pick from there.

I tried to specifically plan each movie out one year, but it didn't feel as fun, and I like to have friends over and let them choose so they feel like they're involved.

My spouse and I do a random 30 day set from a list of 110 categories we developed. Then we look for movies that fit that day’s theme somehow.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hollismason posted:

Man Bites Dog is a comedy. Its incredibly bleak but there is something outrageously hilarious when they encounter another documentary crew filming basically the same film they're making and murder them

That's loving hilarious.

It's the definitive moment of the film, imo.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

High Warlord Zog posted:

If you haven't seen it Heroic Trio is a very fun Hong Kong Michelle Yeoh flick with some great spooky adjacent grotesque flourishes.

Also, slogging through Flanagan's Hill House, and I stand by the assessment that caused me to bounce off early when it first came out. It's Oculus but 10 hours long. thuddingly sentimental, and the we-smeared-vaseline-all-over-the-lens cinematography is ugly as gently caress. I put on Oculus after episode 6 and it's still a banger. Someone force Mikey F to make 90 minute movies again and maybe repeat that no dialog experiment he did with Hush.

Oculus is definitely one of the better films from WWE Studios

Even better than Leprechaun: Origins

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mike Flanagan wishes he could make something as good as Heroic Trio.

I appreciate some of his work but he's no Johnnie To.

Few of us are

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtHlJOnk-WA

His best line is at 52 seconds where he gets zapped in the balls and goes

ooOoOOOoOoUuuhhhhh

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I was thinking about Halloween Ends again and while I liked it overall I still can't believe Halloween Kills ends the way it does, and then Michael is able to just chill out in his enfeebled state in that sewage access point or whatever and that homeless guy even mentions how he drags people in there regularly and over the years no one thought to look around there.

CelticPredator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtHlJOnk-WA

His best line is at 52 seconds where he gets zapped in the balls and goes

ooOoOOOoOoUuuhhhhh

His first spoken words, the ENTIRE SERIES built up to that moment!!!!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think Zombie had Michael speak in a alternate cut of Halloween 2 but I can't remember if its in the actual directors cut or just a alternate scene. He does say the most appropriate thing which is "Die".

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, but wouldn't that be a great first and only line if he ever did?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Aw yeah guess who just watched Bill Paxton and Brian Drummond get murked by a cyborg

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

IIRC that's from the theatrical, not the director's cut.

https://i.imgur.com/HHxo88Z.mp4

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

p. sure I know about Man Bites Dog because of the challenge threads but that's cool right? It's been on my Max watchlist for awhile

the only problem with Man Bites Dog is that they couldn't think of an ending so they did the same ending as every crime movie in the 90s post-Reservoir Dogs hail of bullets from offscreen mafia guys, everyone dies, smash-cut to black

drrockso20 posted:

Also to the suggestions for challenges mine would be "watch a horror film that is Animated rather than Live Action", though maybe for this one the 60 minute minimum runtime rule should be waived since animated horror is more common in short film format than feature film length
No that's fine because then everyone can just watch MAD GOD again and enjoy

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 28, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Lmfaooooo

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So is there a way to make an mp4 a thread title because

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
For anyone looking to bulk up their October viewing options:
https://link.tubi.tv/FNdqv8u8rDb