Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Insanite posted:

I remember getting a rep as a problem sicko in middle school for being out nine days in one year.

I’d really like to see historical data on school attendance—aren’t a huge number of districts now seeing at least a quarter of kids missing 10% or more of the year?

I’d love to see that data too but it might actually prove the narrative wrong that COVID has made poo poo worse for evryone and well we can’t have that now can we??

The school messaged us today that the lice situation was a false alarm. Found out from another mom it was the other class and they found out a day later lol. How can the school gently caress that up so bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

what the gently caress is the us government good for if they can just ask domestic companies to pretty please do things??? kleptocracy

Laundering billions of dollars through nazis.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
I had a vaxx booster appointment scheduled for Friday

I tested positive for COVID (for the first time) on Tuesday

just terrific

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

smh so much denigration of hard‐working scientists in the COVID thread

lol the only diagnostic covid poo poo I worked on was frantically converting labs into PCR testing centers because no health departments had their poo poo together in March 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

speaking of pax rebounds, did we ever find out if you are contagious during those?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bastard Tetris posted:

lol the only diagnostic covid poo poo I worked on was frantically converting labs into PCR testing centers because no health departments had their poo poo together in March 2020

But have you considered that it was actually very normal that it took more than a week for the U.S. to find Omicron in November/December 2021?

quote:

Love seeing all the folks making GBS threads on labs for not having full genetic sequences in under a loving day from when the patient arrives in country.

I mean come on, it’s one thing to constantly go after political figures, but maybe loving lay off the lab techs. I’ve done infectious disease work in a professional lab setting for a number of years in the past, and sometimes poo poo takes time. Sometimes you need to run a test again, especially when you have to be sure. And yes, that includes genetic sequencing and outbreak tracking. Are the lab techs now just brunch-eating lanyard shitlibs now?

Maybe lay off the constant complaining, hearing nothing but venting is obnoxious.

(No one was laying it on the lab techs.)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

speaking of pax rebounds, did we ever find out if you are contagious during those?

if you can turn a RAT strip red, you're contagious.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Oldest Man posted:

if you can turn a RAT strip red, you're contagious.

aren't you also contagious during the asymptomatic period during which you might not test positive

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

aren't you also contagious during the asymptomatic period during which you might not test positive

is your question "if i have a symptomatic rebound but i'm not turning the test strips red, am i contagious?" then the answer is maybe probably

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Cup Runneth Over posted:

that’s actually a good question. I wonder if being vaccinated means you mount enough of an immune response to be symptomatic for the first couple days while also holding viral shedding at bay for a little bit

but that’s just a guess. might be worth consulting an expert

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

But have you considered that it was actually very normal that it took more than a week for the U.S. to find Omicron in November/December 2021?

(No one was laying it on the lab techs.)

ah I remember when RATs were inaccurate garbage in 2020 cause of false positives but now they’re all anyone uses because that’s the thing that doesn’t cost $150 and doesn’t take 24-48 hours for results

anyways my favorite thing we put together for the lab techs was a foot pedal pneumatic version of those things the F1 pit crews use to remove lug nuts but instead it instantly torqued off a bunch of nasal collection tubes to throw on a robot

Bastard Tetris has issued a correction as of 08:38 on Sep 28, 2023

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude
Loving all these animals!

Not loving that I got my booster yesterday and the only effect is a sore arm! WTF. How do I know my body is working right?! For the last 6 (7?) It's been very obvious, both physically and in my watch readouts like HRV and HR.

Now I'll have to be worried that I just recently had secret super mild COVID

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Ragaduffin posted:

Not loving that I got my booster yesterday and the only effect is a sore arm! WTF. How do I know my body is working right?! For the last 6 (7?) It's been very obvious, both physically and in my watch readouts like HRV and HR.

Other than going in to get your blood drawn so you can get an antibodies test, the neat thing is that you don't! Just have to trust your respirator only

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Ragaduffin posted:

i got mine yesterday as well and was like 'this booster ain't poo poo' until ~15 hours after the shot when all those good ol symptoms came rushing in

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
any reason to not get flu shot at same time as covid shot?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

No reason not to. They're both different class of virus and the vaccines activates different cells of the immune system. Your body isn't going to accidentally mix up the antibodies

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

That said, I've been seeing whole poo poo ton of messages for the flu shots everywhere. "Get the flu shot! Get the flu shot for the love of god!" While other than this thread and other Covid conscious folks I follow, the single one thing I saw for the covid shot was a single commercial by Pfizer. That's it. Kinda bothers me a little bit

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

No immunological reason, only increased side effects. Here's FDA's top vaccine official:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vacccine-booster-flu-shot-for-fall-2023-fda/ posted:

How FDA's top vaccines official is timing his COVID booster and flu shot for fall 2023
(..)
"Some people are saying, 'Well, could I get RSV, COVID and the flu vaccine on the same day?' Yes, indeed, you could. But honestly, I might not," said Dr. Peter Marks, director of the FDA's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research.

Instead, he said he intended to get the COVID shot right away and the flu shot in early October. [ed. it's been a few weeks, so now and now]

Marks, who was speaking during a recent call with FDA stakeholders, stressed that he did not disagree with guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention which allows giving multiple different routine shots during the same visit. Doctors refer to this as "coadministration" or "simultaneous administration" of vaccines.

However, he acknowledged that getting up to three of the different vaccines at the same time could lead to more side effects — like stronger fatigue or a small fever — in the days after getting the shots.

Spacing out the shots by around two weeks could "minimize the chance of interactions, and minimize confusing side effects from one with another," he said. They might be a good option for people who did not mind multiple trips to the pharmacy or their doctor's office.

"I might just want to space them out a little bit. But if you had to drive a lot of miles to get the vaccines, then it might not be unreasonable to get all three of them at once," said Marks.
(..)

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Anecdotally the one time I got boosted + flu shot the same day the side effects absolutely kicked the poo poo out of me, like awful back pain and stuff. So going forward I’m getting them at least a week apart.

Also my boss is wearing a (lovely surgical) mask today which would be good but since he never does I’m assuming he’s sick and I’m hearing other people talking about the vax causing all these heart issues and Iol lmao.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
heard there was a need for cute animals

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Yes! Yes!!

No! No!!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

bedpan posted:

never going to stop lolling that the variant naming system has forever ended

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Mom has covid...doctor gave her Lagevrio? How does that compare to pax?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

dew worm posted:

Mom has covid...doctor gave her Lagevrio? How does that compare to pax?

It's lovely af and your mom could be the next harbinger of pestilence if the virus mutate juuuust right.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it barely still works kinda and also yeah that's the "this drug almost certainly creates new viable variants" one

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

I told her to push for pax

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
here is another aminal

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
chronically absent is defined as being out 10+% of the year, about 18 days per school year

quote:

The 21-22 school year we saw 43% of students were chronically absent,” said Antonio Gonzales, Chief Academic Officer for Albuquerque Public Schools. “Last school year the 2022-2023 school year we saw 34% of our students who were chronically absent so it kinda decreased by about 9-10%.”

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

my cat-loving friends are allergic to cats but got this very luxurious-looking hypoallergenic siberian thing that i visited this week

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Testvan posted:

chronically absent is defined as being out 10+% of the year, about 18 days per school year

That doesn't make sense to me. School is only open 5 days a week right? 18 days absent is nearly almost a month of missing school. How is that just 10% of a school year?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NeonPunk posted:

That doesn't make sense to me. School is only open 5 days a week right? 18 days absent is nearly almost a month of missing school. How is that just 10% of a school year?

the school year is 10 months

magic

(it’s usually exactly 180 days )

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Soap Scum posted:

my cat-loving friends are allergic to cats but got this very luxurious-looking hypoallergenic siberian thing that i visited this week

very pretty but hypoallergenic cats aren't real, sorry for your friend's noses

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

that’s actually a good question. I wonder if being vaccinated means you mount enough of an immune response to be symptomatic for the first couple days while also holding viral shedding at bay for a little bit

but that’s just a guess. might be worth consulting an expert

I'd assume the answer is yes since there are studies showing people frequently have culturable virus both before and after the period when a RAT strip tests positive.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Everyone is my office basically got covid this week/last week. Back to in office masks which is good but also lol way to wait for over 50% of the office to be out sick

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

two days off of pax and I’m just kind of low level sick

I can see how this should have been 10 days

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Just had a Teams meeting (safely) with a woman who couldn't stop coughing. She said she had a cold and some body aches but was hoping to be able to make it to a wedding on Saturday so she could "dance all night long" :thumbsup:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

euphronius posted:

two days off of pax and I’m just kind of low level sick

I can see how this should have been 10 days

That's too long to shut down your liver for

This is my first day off Pax, extremely minor symptoms. Wouldn't even notice it in the old days.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
if it's good enough for Fauci, it's good enough for everyone!

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Maed posted:

very pretty but hypoallergenic cats aren't real, sorry for your friend's noses

the sphynx would like to have a word with you

anyway yeah they're not 100% hypoallergenic but they do make less of the offending protein, at least for the one my friends have issues with. they were good w/ this guy from day 1 whereas my cat puts them into anaphylaxis D:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

RC Cola posted:

Everyone is my office basically got covid this week/last week. Back to in office masks which is good but also lol way to wait for over 50% of the office to be out sick

Closing the barn doors after all the horses have left: “barn doors don’t work, why do we even bother with this”