Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I usually get one or two every year bitch to me how much it sucks I'm not allowed to say merry christmas anymore and I have to say happy holidays. Dead set have no idea what they're talking about because I've never once gotten comms from the top on what to say around Christmas.

Then every now and then I'll get some cooked unit rant about how it's the fuckin' chinese coming over and stealing everything that makes the price go up for the rest of us. Will always be the first thing they say to me and will catch me by surprise everytime. Just random fuckin racist tirade out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

The thing I always try to remember about those kinds of people is that they're not actually looking for something, they just want to complain at someone and retail workers are a nice captive audience for whatever conspiracy they read about on Facebook that morning.

I remember once making copies for a dude in his 60s, who was torn between crying and yelling, explaining to me that the 20-something year old woman he fell in love with and went to Thailand (he said that country but it kept changing over the story) to bring back to the US as his wife, how much he loved her, even though she cheated on him and their little boy wasn't really his, he loved her so much, but she wanted a divorce after some years of marriage and getting most of her family over here.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Only out and out blatantly racist thing I've gotten from a customer is one coming in and saying, and I quote, "I didn't come in here to listen to this (racial slur for Hispanics) poo poo".

What was I playing over Bluetooth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMXBJW1PuU8

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Only out and out blatantly racist thing I've gotten from a customer is one coming in and saying, and I quote, "I didn't come in here to listen to this (racial slur for Hispanics) poo poo".

I will always love Belafonte for this absolutely king poo poo:

quote:

After he had been turned away from other apartment buildings due to being Black, he had his white publicist rent an apartment at 300 West End Avenue for him. When he moved in, and the owner realized that he was an African American, he was asked to leave. Belafonte not only refused, he used three dummy real estate companies to buy the building and converted it into a co-op, inviting his friends, both white and black, to buy apartments. He lived in the 21-room, 6-bedroom apartment for 48 years.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Coasterphreak posted:

Lanyards are a choking hazard if they get caught in equipment, plus nobody wants that dangling in their food. Most places I’ve worked also say no big dangly earrings (studs and bars are fine) and if you wear any kind of necklace it’s gotta be tight fitting or under your shirt while you work.

e: my current job specifically gives out those little retractable holders you can clip to your shirt/belt for this exact reason

That's understandable but they've spent the past several years replacing all the food made on premises with garbage shipped in from elsewhere. The only "equipment" left are deli and meat slicers. Nothing a produce worker gets within 30 feet of.

Also the retractable badges are banned for everyone (no reason given). Yes, of course all the cashiers use them.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Love this.

I had a customer come in and see that there were coupons for a travelling circus on the counter.

He then said to me "man this is messed up that people take their kids to this circus, they'll all end up as trans *slur*"

I gave him his change and was just like mind blown.

What in the actual gently caress was he talking about?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember once making copies for a dude in his 60s, who was torn between crying and yelling, explaining to me that the 20-something year old woman he fell in love with and went to Thailand (he said that country but it kept changing over the story) to bring back to the US as his wife, how much he loved her, even though she cheated on him and their little boy wasn't really his, he loved her so much, but she wanted a divorce after some years of marriage and getting most of her family over here.

I once had a coworker who managed to get fired as a result of repeatedly falling for this scam.

I think he got yoinked for thousands of dollars' worth of DKK by two different Asian women, whom he went to visit as well, who insisted that they loved him dearly(until he stopped sending them money), and once he woke up to the fact that he got tricked twice, he got so pissy and yelly with customers that management eventually had to fire him.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So guess who made management panic because they're losing a star worker? That's right, it's me! After the wage review they said they were going "Hey if you're looking to promote we have options! And not all of them are management tracks" so I thought I'd try again. What's the worst that could happen, they say no again? Last year I got some attention from management, a lot of words, then nothing came of it partially because of a management change and it left me feeling rather pissed. This year I just quietly put in a couple of applications. Come in and management is having a quiet freakout. One of the Process Assistants (Amazon for Assistant Manager) that I work with is giggling up a storm and asking me how I feel and such.

I finally get around to checking my personal email and...oh hey I'm being promoted to the TOM team! Never talked to anyone, they just accepted it. Management knows and they're freaking out because they have people who can cover me for a day or two but they have no one to properly replace me. I've been doing my job for so long that there's so many little details that I and only I know. I could train someone new or retrain someone who just covers me but... the equipment I cover does so many tiny little weird things that you just have to experience for yourself to learn. Even if I train someone for a couple of days they'll only see a small fraction of the weirdness. PA was snickering all night long because while he's going to help train my replacement he's one of my biggest supporters and thinks I've been owed something like this for a couple years. So he was savoring management's panic.

Signed the paperwork and the start date of my new job (and pay rate) isn't until December but I'll be basically getting a 20% raise, Amazon to pay for my CDL classes and I'll be on a new step plan (I'll get automatic raises at 6, 12, 18, 24 and 36 months in my new role, I've been at the max rate in my current role for years).

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 26, 2023

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
Congrats Alkydere! :yotj:

I hope the fires made of your previous department keep you warm this winter.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Time to navigate the waters of actively transitioning in a retail environment with regulars who are entirely too much up in my business already as it is (no lady, I don't want a ride to work. You buying smokes from me every day does not mean I know or trust you). Thank goodness management is good and on my side, if a touch confused. But hoo boy, the clientele is predominantly elderly, and predominantly all hopped up on Jesus. Should be fun.

Nearly missed this but rooting for you! Coming out as trans at work is pretty loving intimidating - I had to tell a coworker in advance of the meeting to remind/push me to actually speak up. Thankfully my department has been pretty cool about it.

Yuwe fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 26, 2023

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yuwe posted:

Nearly missed this but rooting for you! Coming out as trans at work is pretty loving intimidating - I had to tell a coworker in advance of the meeting to remind/push me to actually speak up. Thankfully my department has been pretty cool about it.

Oh hell no, I don't drink already, I'm double not gonna drink if I get a CDL. I may be off the job but I ain't drunk. Got myself a celebration burger instead after work.

And yeah, I'm savoring things. I'm probably going to be under one of my own managers who's a dumbass...but I know his dumbassery well and can deal with it. He'll probably be laughing his rear end off too when he hears if he hasn't already.

Also, Congrats AngryRobots, didn't mean to steal your thunder. Glad you're feeling more comfortable being openly you and I wish you love and support. And success hiding the bodies of rear end in a top hat customers.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Yuwe posted:

All of this.

I have a non-binary coworker and they’re pretty quiet about it (but I think the rainbow and they/them pins on the hat say it well enough) and they definitely get a hard time from customers while just walking around doing their drat job, especially on sundays when church lets out and all the Jesus people show up to do their weekly shopping.

Of course, the assholes make a point to not say anything when there’s clearly another employee in earshot, so I haven’t gotten a chance to get in somebody’s face about it… yet.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’m fortunate my company is absolutely fantastic when it comes to LGBTQ stuff. I’ve got 2 trans coworkers, half of the management team is gay, and the very few times I’ve ever had anyone go on a racist/homophobic/transphobic tirade they’ve backed me to the hilt when I tore strips off them and tossed them out of the store. We even have paid gender affirmation leave for when team members are transitioning.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Currently watching 5 Aldi employees trying to keep 2 Instacart Shoppers from murdering each other.

They don’t pay y’all enough, just let them have at it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I need to know what could've sparked an Instacart beef.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Two shoppers, one remaining jar of peanut butter

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

I need to know what could've sparked an Instacart beef.

Unclear but it’s the Manhattan Aldi so it literally could have been anything, people’s tolerance here is not in the best shape.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

dpkg chopra posted:

Unclear but it’s the Manhattan Aldi so it literally could have been anything, people’s tolerance here is not in the best shape.

So what you’re saying is that you have to be mentally unstable to live in Manhattan?

Checks out.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
You don’t have to, but it helps.

Meanwhile, Target just announced its closing the store right next to that Aldi due to “safety concerns”.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

yeah I saw an article about how Target is closing locations because of theft.

not wage theft though

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Crossposting this to share a good birb and my good news for today:

HazCat posted:

I'm in Williamstown today to (hopefully successfully) get my forklift licence, and I have made a friend.

He is extremely unimpressed that I won't share my crackers with him, and keeps gently cursing me under his breath :3:

Whoforthenwhat posted:

That's the site super. Should have given him a cracker to get your certification.

Good luck though. Be one of us and be FORKLIFT CERTIFIED

HazCat posted:

I'm pretty sure bribing the super is a crime. Not certain though, 'cause that wasn't on the written assessment.

Also I passed and am now FORKLIFT CERTIFIED :cool:

Looking forward to going in on Monday and moving all the pallets one space to the left in the racking to make my boss feel insane get lots of extra practice.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

HazCat posted:

Crossposting this to share a good birb and my good news for today:

one of us, one of us, congrats!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

today i drove by the convenience store i worked at a few years back and it's closed and being torn down and i'm in full sicko mode over it :sickos:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Time to navigate the waters of actively transitioning in a retail environment with regulars who are entirely too much up in my business already as it is (no lady, I don't want a ride to work. You buying smokes from me every day does not mean I know or trust you). Thank goodness management is good and on my side, if a touch confused. But hoo boy, the clientele is predominantly elderly, and predominantly all hopped up on Jesus. Should be fun.

As someone else who is actively transitioning in a retail environment, good luck.

(also gay, also trans but other direction. At least I live in a [mostly] tolerant city for it)

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Good luck! I'm also trans-and-working-retail and honestly, once the bosses have your back, stuff gets easier.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

today i drove by the convenience store i worked at a few years back and it's closed and being torn down and i'm in full sicko mode over it :sickos:

I drove by today and a restaurant I used to deliver to all the time is shuttered and has boards up across the windows. It's kind of sad but not unexpected. I mean it's almost dark humor that a local Golden corral buffet barely survived COVID before it shut down, and now it's a health clinic.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

dovetaile posted:

Good luck! I'm also trans-and-working-retail and honestly, once the bosses have your back, stuff gets easier.

Oh god, yes this.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Cowslips Warren posted:

I drove by today and a restaurant I used to deliver to all the time is shuttered and has boards up across the windows. It's kind of sad but not unexpected. I mean it's almost dark humor that a local Golden corral buffet barely survived COVID before it shut down, and now it's a health clinic.

Oh for sure, but having worked for this company at corporate level later I just have a special hatred of it and know it's the fate of all their stores so :allears:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So today was hell.

So we have 3 production stations or "sides" in the kitchen, usually on a weekday we'll run 2 and the 3rd will go on at weekends if anyone bothers to set it up. The kitchen screens only show 2 orders at a time with any overflow listed as pending, normally on a bad day we'll have maybe 3-4 pending with all 3 sides active. That's about 15 or so orders to be made which is a bad situation, that's an overflowing drive-thru and a busy instore.

Today we hit double digit pending on all 3 sides. 30+ orders in the queue. Even a fully rammed drive-thru can only put up a maximum of 8 orders. Instore was absolute hell, visibly pissed off customers screaming at incredibly stressed out staff who're desperately trying to keep pace with a level of taking the piss busy I haven't seen in 18 years of working there. Of course the problem was loving delivery, there were 16 delivery orders pending at one point because drivers just shove orders through to the store as soon as possible, even if they're still on the other side of town. So kitchen gets flooded with delivery orders that might not be picked up for half an hour and drive thru and instore grind to a halt because they can't find their stuff in the massive pile of delivery food.

And then the kitchen grinds to a halt because front can't get orders out as fast as we make them so the production bin is full and we have food stretched up to the toasters and actually have no space to make anything else. For the first few hours people managed to stay relatively cheery off the back of gallows humour and jokes about how hosed the shift was but once we hit 8pm and it became clear it wasn't getting any less busy and also people were now going home the kitchen basically fell silent.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

njsykora posted:

So today was hell.

So we have 3 production stations or "sides" in the kitchen, usually on a weekday we'll run 2 and the 3rd will go on at weekends if anyone bothers to set it up. The kitchen screens only show 2 orders at a time with any overflow listed as pending, normally on a bad day we'll have maybe 3-4 pending with all 3 sides active. That's about 15 or so orders to be made which is a bad situation, that's an overflowing drive-thru and a busy instore.

Today we hit double digit pending on all 3 sides. 30+ orders in the queue. Even a fully rammed drive-thru can only put up a maximum of 8 orders. Instore was absolute hell, visibly pissed off customers screaming at incredibly stressed out staff who're desperately trying to keep pace with a level of taking the piss busy I haven't seen in 18 years of working there. Of course the problem was loving delivery, there were 16 delivery orders pending at one point because drivers just shove orders through to the store as soon as possible, even if they're still on the other side of town. So kitchen gets flooded with delivery orders that might not be picked up for half an hour and drive thru and instore grind to a halt because they can't find their stuff in the massive pile of delivery food.

And then the kitchen grinds to a halt because front can't get orders out as fast as we make them so the production bin is full and we have food stretched up to the toasters and actually have no space to make anything else. For the first few hours people managed to stay relatively cheery off the back of gallows humour and jokes about how hosed the shift was but once we hit 8pm and it became clear it wasn't getting any less busy and also people were now going home the kitchen basically fell silent.

... is there a specific reason your store was turbo slammed on today of all days?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Not that I could find, usually the reasons for a turbofuck shift are a big event happening or another store being closed for some reason. Neither of which were the case today. It was however apparently payday for a lot of people.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The first customer to actually cotton on to my whole deal was actually a very pleasant experience. There's road work going on nearby and the people working are in and out of the store all day, and this was one of them. Reflexively called me ma'am because The South, and then just about immediately cut himself off with "Wait, was it okay to call you ma'am? Which do you prefer? We're going to be working here a while, and I want to be respectful."

So that was nice.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Last night: massive outage across the entire Amazon NA region causing everything to grind to a halt for 2 hours: poo poo happens, whatever.

PA (AssMan) asks me to come over to the gathering area so that they know where I'm at. I mean they do know normally but this is standard policy to make sure I don't shove a pallet splinter up my nose or something. As soon as I get there I get told to put away my phone.

Dude we're in a shutdown, what am I supposed to do: memorize every pore and hair on your face? Meanwhile you're letting another group use their phone to connect to the department PA system for impromptu karaoke? I wanted to absolutely rip a strip from him but I'm only in this department for a couple more months and don't want to rock the boat when I'm this close to escaping to a promotion.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

Last night: massive outage across the entire Amazon NA region causing everything to grind to a halt for 2 hours: poo poo happens, whatever.

PA (AssMan) asks me to come over to the gathering area so that they know where I'm at. I mean they do know normally but this is standard policy to make sure I don't shove a pallet splinter up my nose or something. As soon as I get there I get told to put away my phone.

Dude we're in a shutdown, what am I supposed to do: memorize every pore and hair on your face? Meanwhile you're letting another group use their phone to connect to the department PA system for impromptu karaoke? I wanted to absolutely rip a strip from him but I'm only in this department for a couple more months and don't want to rock the boat when I'm this close to escaping to a promotion.

Uh you're supposed to be cleaning! That's what they tell us to do when our power goes out, never mind that it's so loving dark nobody can see anything.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Then you tell them that you are cleaning.

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

Our CFO sent a company wide email with a small typo yesterday. I have been told that he is currently rowing out to sea to spend his remaining years.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Boob Cop posted:

Our CFO sent a company wide email with a small typo yesterday. I have been told that he is currently rowing out to sea to spend his remaining years.

Jimmy Carter survived telling the country of Poland that he left America to stay there, he was here to gently caress, and he was not going to leave. Your CFO is fine

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Volmarias posted:

Jimmy Carter survived telling the country of Poland that he left America to stay there, he was here to gently caress, and he was not going to leave. Your CFO is fine

Thing about Carter is he was there to gently caress. In his heart.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So last few weeks have been spent:
-Glaring at my inbox waiting for the paperwork to be sent
-Complaining to my contact that the paperwork hadn't been sent
-Getting the paperwork right as my weekend started when the paperwork required information I needed to be at work for (mainly they wanted my manager's phone number for a background check)
-Immediately getting my DOT physical the moment I submitted my background check form and got the paperwork in return for that

Anyways, been dealing with this half-assed Prime Day event this week and checked my e-mail to find that me racing to get everything done super fast has paid off. Before the promotion offer was tentative (I had to have background check/physical come back as clear) and was for Dec. 3. Now it's locked in and moved up to Oct. 29.

So gently caress yeah, getting that promo and raise basically a month early. :toot:
I'm imploding into a pile of happy stress because good things don't normally happen to me and I'm not entirely sure how to process it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Happy for you!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

First thing the truck driver said to me, dead seriously, "You're too short to be in charge.'

Just.....what the gently caress?