Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I’ve never watched less TV in my life then over the last few years as streaming sites all simultaneously enshittify. At this point I mostly just rent or buy the occasional movie off Amazon. Seriously considering buying a blu ray player and just stocking up on criterion movies for when things get worse.

I heard that you can watch movies without spending money or having a disc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I heard that you can watch movies without spending money or having a disc?

mods

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i havent used a streaming service in over 5 years very easy to watch whatever we want without lovely paid services

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

meanolmrcloud posted:

this is happening in real-time at my place. they offered a buyout that was pretty generous for people with even minor tenure (~5yrs) so everyone who knew how things function left.

I stayed because it’s a low effort job, I have a newborn and it’s real nice underperforming as a rule. literally yesterday I got a 5 figure bonus.

Give me money

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

speaking of funny feinstein's last vote (yesterday) was to vote to raise the retirement age for pilots from 65 to 67

justcallhimdragon
Aug 23, 2023

Epic let a bunch of their content moderators go without warning (in addition to the internal layoffs). strong economy we got here in the meatverse

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was visiting my dad yesterday and he put on a video about Edward Bernays and how he invented consumerism with the help of thinkers like Thorsten Veblen and Sigmund Freud and there was a lot of poo poo in there:

- the phrase "public relations" was invented specifically to provide a less nefarious-sounding alternative to "propaganda"
- the idea of a big breakfast to start the day, and the idea that this breakfast should have bacon and eggs? manufactured
- the idea of every American family owning a car? manufactured
- the idea of making and promoting yearly models of cars? manufactured
- the tying-in of car ownership to masculinity? manufactured
- the Torches of Freedom March in 1929 where women allegedly demanded the normalization of women smoking? manufactured

after the video wrapped up we just sort of stared at each other for a while as we processed the cracking and the pinging

Adam Curtis' The Century of the Self shows what horrors this man brought into the world to take advantage of our dumb psychology.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

justcallhimdragon posted:

Epic let a bunch of their content moderators go without warning (in addition to the internal layoffs). strong economy we got here in the meatverse

which is strange cuz they make like a gazillion dollars off kids taking mom's credit card n stuff, prints more money than valve.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

they kept her corpse on display in congress until the end, god bless america

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Epic Games must be doing poorly if they're taking a crack at being the game service for perverts

can't believe even epic game store is targeting tankies

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Beached Whale posted:

Can't believe the data scientists biffed this one

itanium_sales.png

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Oglethorpe posted:

i've been meaning to buy an electric toothbrush

grabbed an oral-b 1500

i got some basic oral-b powered by AA batteries for like...$13? i could be wrong but IMO the much more expensive models are full of marketing bullshit

Palladium has issued a correction as of 03:07 on Sep 30, 2023

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Beached Whale posted:

You know those cheesy black and white family bumper stickers where it'll have the mom, dad, maybe two kids and a dog? There's a guy in my neighborhood with the saddest solo version of that on his car with him in disney garb. The rest of his car is also plastered in disney poo poo. It makes me die a little each time I walk by it because you know they sell a full family set of this and he had to go up to the cashier and check out for a single sticker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1Nq086QB1Q

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Frosted Flake posted:

But without the state paying for them, or doing anything about exploding tuition costs, or the huge amount of university administrators.

The point of posting data like this is to make people feel good about their personal choices and reassure them that the misery they see is Right and Good.

If those people had gone to college they would be happy and healthy, like you. They hosed up. We don't have to do anything to help them, and you can feel okay about these people living miserable lives and then dying. You can also feel good because you know The Solution now, too. There can be less misery if more future people just go to college, and don't worry about how that will happen, and especially don't worry about those future people who won't go down that path and will end up living miserable lives anyway.

It's all a distraction from immediate solutions, like providing healthcare or just loving giving people money. You don't have to spend any time at all thinking about how we can make people less miserable because now you know the secret to theoretically making a graph go down a little bit over the next thirty or forty years. It helps even more that this all fits the liberal narrative of slow and steady progress that definitely requires NO sacrifice or discomfort for anyone with money.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Those charts are a shining example of correlation =/= causation. The real causation is family wealth. You have that, it’s much easier to get a 4 year degree, as well as a bunch of other good outcomes in life.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Beached Whale posted:

You know those cheesy black and white family bumper stickers where it'll have the mom, dad, maybe two kids and a dog? There's a guy in my neighborhood with the saddest solo version of that on his car with him in disney garb. The rest of his car is also plastered in disney poo poo. It makes me die a little each time I walk by it because you know they sell a full family set of this and he had to go up to the cashier and check out for a single sticker.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Homeless Friend posted:

they kept her corpse on display in congress until the end, god bless america

Haven't we been doing this since like 2010?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Blind Pineapple posted:

Those charts are a shining example of correlation =/= causation. The real causation is family wealth. You have that, it’s much easier to get a 4 year degree, as well as a bunch of other good outcomes in life.

I mean, even that is probably overcomplicating things a little bit. Those charts are just telling you that people who are statistically more likely to have money and more stable lives are also statistically more likely to be happier and healthier. As with almost everything else, the inescapable conclusion is that if you just give people money and essential services like healthcare and education those people will live better lives.

But that's a really, really, really bad conclusion so it's not allowed.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

fun little video about our very special boy SBF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLvOT2AldwM

pro watch starts at 8:20 where his dad CCs his mom on an email about how the dad thought he was gonna get paid more for his fake job at FTX

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

I mean, even that is probably overcomplicating things a little bit. Those charts are just telling you that people who are statistically more likely to have money and more stable lives are also statistically more likely to be happier and healthier. As with almost everything else, the inescapable conclusion is that if you just give people money and essential services like healthcare and education those people will live better lives.

your frame here presents an inversion of what they assert is casual. The conservative virtue economics folks say marriages and a stable life make one more economically successful. you are saying having economic security makes things like marriages and life outcomes more stable (which is correct).

but there’s another way to frame it, it’s a loop that feeds back into itself. and the positive cycle can be started with direct aid.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

yup. the one thing I'd also mention is that "omfg we have two americas now!??!" is really stupid: there's always been 2 americas dating back hundreds of years. the difference was largely stratified by race (which was also wealth, but institutionally) and easy to sweep away and ignore. and then starting around 1980s+, white people also became part of the stratification

they're really dogshit plots and i hope zodium brutally destroys them.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

your frame here presents an inversion of what they assert is casual. The conservative virtue economics folks say marriages and a stable life make one more economically successful. you are saying having economic security makes things like marriages and life outcomes more stable (which is correct).

but there’s another way to frame it, it’s a loop that feeds back into itself. and the positive cycle can be started with direct aid.

They'll lock people into houses with single partners to forcibly marry them like pandas before they give direct monetary aid. Thanks, study.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
ah yes people who don't have money from systemic issues just aren't marrying enough

OceanCyclone
May 29, 2022

Mayor of Yambag City

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Disney family sticker figure, alone.

Doesn't quite have quite the same punch as

for sale: baby shoes, never worn.

But it seems more fitting for the modern times.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

just waiting for my wife and family.....
any day now.....

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i would like some free money for little to no work, preferably lots of money

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Azuth0667 posted:

I think the post office would be the biggest issue. So many things depend upon USPS.

the government has shut down multiple times in my life and im not even 30. How do people have such bizarre misconceptions about what a shut down is? Yall just been coasting for decades huh?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

please do not doxx PFC's facebook account

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

we shall overcome

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was visiting my dad yesterday and he put on a video about Edward Bernays and how he invented consumerism with the help of thinkers like Thorsten Veblen and Sigmund Freud and there was a lot of poo poo in there:

- the phrase "public relations" was invented specifically to provide a less nefarious-sounding alternative to "propaganda"
- the idea of a big breakfast to start the day, and the idea that this breakfast should have bacon and eggs? manufactured
- the idea of every American family owning a car? manufactured
- the idea of making and promoting yearly models of cars? manufactured
- the tying-in of car ownership to masculinity? manufactured
- the Torches of Freedom March in 1929 where women allegedly demanded the normalization of women smoking? manufactured

after the video wrapped up we just sort of stared at each other for a while as we processed the cracking and the pinging

Wait till your learn about diamond in wedding rings, or even that women love diamonds, or even that diamonds are rare and/or valuable.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Palladium posted:

i got some basic oral-b powered by AA batteries for like...$13? i could be wrong but IMO the much more expensive models are full of marketing bullshit

I can’t speak to the $13 ones but I got an electric toothbrush on sale for like $70 and it’s one of those meaningful upgrades like getting a cellphone for the first time or upgrading a computer to an SSD. It’s totally worth it and my teeth have never felt better.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

HODL

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Sales prices always dip in the winter moran

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

euphronius posted:

each episode of Ashoka costs 43 billion dollars.

Is that show good yet

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

we must secure the existence of our market and a future with high comps

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I was yelling about Charles Murray in another thread and it's really funny and sad that all the indicators he used to paint black ppl as subhuman (marriage rates, single motherhood, addiction, etc) is something that has grown to encompass white people without a college degree, proving that those factors are entirely dependent on economic insecurity.

Charles Murray is still posting the same poo poo tho, and being cited by both Dem and Rep politicians ofc to this day

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm gonna use this for everytime a poster boasts about their pay/benefits. Thx Vox.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Beached Whale posted:

oh goddamn dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/margotroosevelt/status/1707981933731586360?s=20