Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Annath posted:

I like:

Pokémon Prism

Pokémon Sacred Gold

Pokémon Theta Emerald Renev

You made that last one up don't lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Emerald rogue is interesting, it turns the game into a roguelike instead.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Photex posted:

You made that last one up don't lie

No sir!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

sailormoon posted:

what are the best Pokémon romhacks to load on this puppy

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Prism is really good

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

sailormoon posted:

what are the best Pokémon romhacks to load on this puppy

Pokemon Infinite Fusion
Fan game where you can combine any two of its 420 mons. Anyone can upload a custom sprite to replace the generated ones. Combining types and abilities gives great depth. It's my favorite Pokémon game.

Pokémon Crystal Clear
Crystal but open world.

Dragon Ball Z Team Training
200 Dragon Ball characters instead of Pokémon with appropriate moves. Last updated in 2020 and even has some characters from Super.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 1, 2023

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

well you see pokemon red comes with the charizard, whereas blue comes with squirtle

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's Radical Red, OP

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Seconding Infinite Fusion (which isn't technically a romhack), Emerald Rogue and Crystal Clear. Elite Redux got mentioned a few pages back, I've been playing it a bit and quite enjoying it as far as challenge hacks go, lots of QoL features. Any of Drayano's hacks is gonna be a good time too.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Photex posted:

Anyone playing modded FF7 by any chance (New Threat Mod for example)

yeah what's up

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I ripped my God of War Chains of Olympus UMD from my original PSP and it runs at a flawless 60 frames per second in PPSSPP on my Steamdeck.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
This would be kinda dumb to begin with, but at $75, it's real dumb.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CBL27QKC/?th=1

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Vlaphor posted:

This would be kinda dumb to begin with, but at $75, it's real dumb.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CBL27QKC/?th=1

Unless there's a kickstand in the back, how does that not immediately fall over?

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

Thats just a bluetooth keyboard meant for iPads combined with a clip that holds a Deck. $75 is a real brave move lol.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

But it has anti-gravity nano technology built into it! It can hold even the heaviest Deck. $70 is a bargain when you consider this sort of strength.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'd bet it's super light too, unlike the keyboard case for iPads which is hilariously heavy.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Any recommendations for similar unified BT keyboard/trackpads that are actually good and well priced?

For easy and portable desktop mode, not for playing games with it. Mostly for tweaking mods: gently caress, that mod is messing poo poo up and now I have to get out of couch/bed, add USB hub for mouse, switch my BT keyboard to point at Deck, then tweak.

Something unified like the above would be cool because it'd let me use desktop mode from where I am. Depending on the game, modding on the Deck's small screen can be fine - CP 2077 for eg.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Looking at that hinge and the blue pull tab thing on the side I suspect it's also supposed to fold over to kind of cover the screen, while being awkwardly held above it because of the thumb sticks.

loving shame that Valve doesn't include a protective case with these things, so we need to bodge together these kind of weird solutions.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

v1ld posted:

Any recommendations for similar unified BT keyboard/trackpads that are actually good and well priced?

For easy and portable desktop mode, not for playing games with it. Mostly for tweaking mods: gently caress, that mod is messing poo poo up and now I have to get out of couch/bed, add USB hub for mouse, switch my BT keyboard to point at Deck, then tweak.

Something unified like the above would be cool because it'd let me use desktop mode from where I am. Depending on the game, modding on the Deck's small screen can be fine - CP 2077 for eg.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZRNJ4DX

Disclaimer: I don't own one of these, I just saw it mentioned in some "great steam accessories" type article I googled while waiting for my deck to arrive. I ended up just going with a USB hub, but I still bookmarked that for possible future use.

It's right on the border price-wise: too expensive for me to just say gently caress it and impulse buy it, but not unreasonably priced for what it is. If you get it I'd be curious to hear what you think of it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

v1ld posted:

I have one of these for doing stuff on the TV. That's a 2.4ghz one but they do a Bluetooth one too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

v1ld posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014EUQOGK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Thread recommended it, and I can't complain for doing anything in desktop mode. I don't use it for games but great for getting other junk setup. And cheap!

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Suburban Dad posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014EUQOGK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Thread recommended it, and I can't complain for doing anything in desktop mode. I don't use it for games but great for getting other junk setup. And cheap!

yep, prob. best quality/price combo. Not superb but does its job.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

That looks great

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I remember someone in the keyboard thread saying once that you buy the K400 and use it for 10 years until it dies then you buy another one.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

My Chinese off brand folding keyboard is poo poo.

Got a Logitech K380, which has round keys and no touchpad. It works fantastically and can stay paired to 3 devices, but it's a little bigger than I'd like. I'm sure the K400 does the job.

Honestly I'm a little jealous of Magic Shortbus' dumb velcro setup. What model is this?

Magic Shortbus posted:

Velcroed an old micro keyboard/mouse to the back of the Steam Deck. Comes in handy for typing passwords and other things. Doesnt get in the way and adds only a tiny weight. Feels like a good cheap mod!

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 2, 2023

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks for the recommendations. The K400 would be great if it had bluetooth!

I don't want to use a wireless dongle for two reasons: dongle means needs usb hub which is one more thing to have on hand, and usb hub means USB 3.0 ports that cause radio interference in the 2.4GHz band. I have an old dongle-wireless mouse that does really badly when plugged into the pigtail hub I use with the Deck and would rather avoid any dongle usage.

Logitech on the K400 page recommend upgrading to the K830 for BT: "Upgrade to Logitech K830 Keyboard: For increased comfort, illuminated keys, USB/Bluetooth connectivity and a rechargeable battery try the K830 wireless keyboard. Touchpad Height: 2.99 in (76 mm), Width: 1.85 in (47 mm)"

It's only $399.00!

I'd forgotten about the foldable, thanks for the link. It has BT, which is a major plus.

Heran Bago posted:

My Chinese off brand folding keyboard is poo poo.

Got a Logitech K380, which has round keys and no touchpad. It works fantastically and can stay paired to 3 devices, but it's a little bigger than I'd like. I'm sure the K400 does the job.

Honestly I'm a little jealous of Magic Shortbus' dumb velcro setup. What model is this?

That looks incredible! Would love to know too.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 2, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I dunno, that velcro keyboard doesn't seem too much better than the on-screen one just by size. If you can't really properly type with it, it doesn't seem like much of an improvement. I can't imagine pecking out terminal commands on that, for example.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

Looks like a variant of this basic design: https://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-Keyboard-Lightweight-Controller/dp/B00I5SW8MC

But no BT, it's a 2.4GHz dongle. :(

Cyrano4747 posted:

I dunno, that velcro keyboard doesn't seem too much better than the on-screen one just by size. If you can't really properly type with it, it doesn't seem like much of an improvement. I can't imagine pecking out terminal commands on that, for example.

Also this.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

v1ld posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. The K400 would be great if it had bluetooth!

I don't want to use a wireless dongle for two reasons: dongle means needs usb hub which is one more thing to have on hand, and usb hub means USB 3.0 ports that cause radio interference in the 2.4GHz band. I have an old dongle-wireless mouse that does really badly when plugged into the pigtail hub I use with the Deck and would rather avoid any dongle usage.

Logitech on the K400 page recommend upgrading to the K830 for BT: "Upgrade to Logitech K830 Keyboard: For increased comfort, illuminated keys, USB/Bluetooth connectivity and a rechargeable battery try the K830 wireless keyboard. Touchpad Height: 2.99 in (76 mm), Width: 1.85 in (47 mm)"

It's only $399.00!

I'd forgotten about the foldable, thanks for the link. It has BT, which is a major plus.

That looks incredible! Would love to know too.

It's $400 because they don't sell or make them anymore so some dude is scalping. Why they don't make them is anyone's guess because they seem to be the perfect 2-in-1 keyboard, but whatever.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I used to use one of those little Rii keyboard trackpad combos to control kodi on my raspberry pi, as well as doing other poo poo with it.

It’s surprisingly easy to get pretty good at typing on it, it feels a lot like the slide out keyboards on the old HTC windows mobile/early android devices.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

jokes posted:

It's $400 because they don't sell or make them anymore so some dude is scalping. Why they don't make them is anyone's guess because they seem to be the perfect 2-in-1 keyboard, but whatever.

Ahh, makes sense. Goog says they had an MSRP of $100 and often went on sale for $60ish.

Didn't know BT added so much to the price.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Portable-Lightweight-Bluetooth-Controller/dp/B00BX0YKX4/

though this may be a better pic

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Any decent setup guides for the deck? Previous reply said it wasn't working 😭

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

I used to use one of those little Rii keyboard trackpad combos to control kodi on my raspberry pi, as well as doing other poo poo with it.

It’s surprisingly easy to get pretty good at typing on it, it feels a lot like the slide out keyboards on the old HTC windows mobile/early android devices.

It also feels designed to use 2-handed like it’s a controller. It’s nice and comfortable.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Suburban Dad posted:

This is still the best one. I've tried Logitech's newer, fancier design and it sucked rear end.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Photex posted:

There are YouTube guides if you have the patience. The mod loader or launcher gave me a weird error. Went to some FFVII modding Discords at the time Echo S-7 released and people wanted to be helpful, a couple others had the same issue as me, but no one could figure it out at the time. Just couldn't get 7th Heaven, New Threat, or Echo working on it back then but figured I'd eventually try again.

What I mean is it didn't work for me, but don't let that discourage you from trying. Some got it working.

The keys look just a little bit too small to be worth it. Still nicer than the touchpads or touchscreen for typing more than a player name.
My Bluetooth K380 is just about right for one-handed typing. Good for stuff like quick chat in FFXIV or looking up recipies in modded Minecraft.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Photex posted:

I'll say that for myself, I don't use any other mods but New Threat, so I can't speak for using FFNx or 7th Heaven or whatever. you should be able to just install FF7 through Steam and then drop in the files manually.

if that doesn't work something I've done for a couple different games, New Threat included, is just set it all up on my PC and then drag and drop the installation on top of the installation on the Steam Deck using WinSCP or the like

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Today I replaced the 64GB mmc drive with a 1TB. It was fine but it made me feel old because everything is so loving tiny I could barely see what I was doing.

Also during the entire OS recovery bit and subsequent update, none of the physical controls worked; only the touchscreen worked for some reason. I thought I broke something but then after it rebooted everything was back to normal. Cool I guess.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
How do I clean those shaders out again? Can I do it with the vanilla steamos install?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I've seen this too and rebooting is the answer.

gdi :(

it makes sleeping the deck useless, which is like, a big part of using the deck