Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Minotaurus Rex posted:

How do I clean those shaders out again? Can I do it with the vanilla steamos install?

Easiest way IMO is install Decky, get the storage cleaner plugin from their little "marketplace," and gut 'em with that. Not vanilla, but hey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I can't imagine pecking out terminal commands on that, for example.

In my experience using the Rii, it beats the hell out of hitting Steam+X to bring up the keyboard. Configuring up emulators or doing any web browsing/terminal back-ane-forth work is a million times easier with the thing, despite having no trouble with the virtual keyboard for general input

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Atoramos posted:

In my experience using the Rii, it beats the hell out of hitting Steam+X to bring up the keyboard. Configuring up emulators or doing any web browsing/terminal work is a million times easier with the thing, despite having no trouble with the virtual keyboard for general input

Sure, 100%. Doing anything serious with the software keyboard is hell.

But to my mind the answer to how to do OS side poo poo that requires typing is to get a small keyboard that is still big enough to let you type properly, homerow etc.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

victrix posted:

gdi :(

it makes sleeping the deck useless, which is like, a big part of using the deck

Do you have a custom wake animation? I used to have this problem until I disabled that, but I don’t know if the bug was fixed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cyrano4747 posted:

I can't imagine pecking out terminal commands on that, for example.

I have done emergency system administration via ssh on a physical-keyboard blackberry. You get used to it pretty quickly!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Do you have a custom wake animation? I used to have this problem until I disabled that, but I don’t know if the bug was fixed.

that's a good question, any idea where that setting is? I know I changed the keyboard, but I think the wake is default (at least, it's just the deck logo iirc)

I'll check it later though, thanks for the suggestion

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

victrix posted:

that's a good question, any idea where that setting is? I know I changed the keyboard, but I think the wake is default (at least, it's just the deck logo iirc)

I'll check it later though, thanks for the suggestion

Should be in Customization under Settings.
Hell, might be worth reverting the keyboard to default too if you can.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I'm a huge PC gaming nerd but I still feel valve knocked it out of the park with the deck, even after more than a year of ownership. I don't play it as often as I did before, but I still have that little flame of nerd obsession in the back of my head, looking for cool things to add, or cool plugins, or other neat stuff I can do with it.

I got one for everybody in my house, so we have one of each storage size option. I've been obsessed with finding good games to play on my deck, as if my gigantic steam library wasn't enough already.

we've become a bit obsessive buying new games, hopping on any sales that come up and buying bundles from humble/fanatical whenever we can, and this is the result of that:

Because a lot of these came from bundles there's a fair amount of shovelware or otherwise low-effort/low-quality indie titles, but there are also a bunch of games that are relatively unknown but are incredibly fun and worth playing. For example, Slasher's Keep is a game I'd never heard of, but really like -- and works well on the deck!

Barony is another game I got in a bundle and had never heard of (although it has quite a few more reviews than Slasher's Keep), and it's great! It's a 3D, first-person traditional roguelike with quite a few unique mechanics. And much like nethack or DCSS I can't ever manage to get very far in it at all, but it's still great fun. Multiplayer, too!

Getting a steam deck has created an immense urge to buy more games to play on the steam deck. I think valve knows that it will create this urge, even for accounts that have a shitload of games already.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I heard somewhere that the bumper buttons/switches need to be calibrated by Valve, and it’s only now reaching the part of my brain that remembers that I have half a plan to replace the half-busted switch behind my Deck’s L1.

Does anyone know more about this? I’m not sure what there is to calibrate about the switch, but maybe they tune the break/unbreak points?

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
Fellow steam dock users, anyone else having HDMI connectivity issues? It used to work relatively well where waking up the steam deck while docked would detect my TV as an external display, but now every time I wake it up I have to go through a random disconnect/reconnect of the cables until it decides to start working. Seems like maybe I should just switch to a 3rd party dock, the official one feels kind of flimsy anyway.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I really wish the cable on the Dock were swappable. it would be great to be able to put my deck on the other side of my desk, but I have to use another thing for that

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've had my deck for a year today. :toot:

Doesn't feel that long ago. Still the best gaming thing I've bought. Ever.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Does KOTOR run on the Deck?

Is it playable?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I don't know, but it came with my kindle like a decade ago so it drat well better

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Annath posted:

Is it playable?

yes

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Kool. I never beat it - I had it for the original Xbox, but ended up playing too much Halo/Fable/Morrowind.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

The lead up to getting your Jedi stuff takes quite a while and I'm torn on how I feel about it, but after you get off Taris I'd say it's a smooth fun ride

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oddly I think I like the taris part of the game the most, it is very focused and fast paced

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've had my deck for a year today. :toot:

Doesn't feel that long ago. Still the best gaming thing I've bought. Ever.

I got mine a couple of days before you but otherwise, same.

It's even gotten me to attack my backlog a bit - here's the current unranked list for my 2023 top ten, all of which were played partially or wholly on deck:

Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin
Dark Souls III
Vagrant Story
Neon White
Rollerdrome
Hi-Fi Rush
Powerwash Simulator
Sekiro
Wattam

Elden Ring is next but I'll probably still be playing that by the end of the year

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Annath posted:

Is it playable?

Yes but you can't use a controller on the PC/Steam Version of KOTOR1. Like, at all. It's weirdly locked up. You can probably have a better time emulating a version of it!

It's not a big deal if you've gotten good with the touchpad though, most menu items can be accessed by remapping things.

jokes fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 3, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

jokes posted:

Yes but you can't use a controller on the PC/Steam Version of KOTOR1. Like, at all. It's weirdly locked up. You can probably have a better time emulating a version of it!

It's not a big deal if you've gotten good with the touchpad though, most menu items can be accessed by remapping things.

Oh dear.

I have no issues "ripping my Xbox disc", but I don't know how well Xbox emulates. I've never tried.

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe
House sitting for a coworker this week, and it has completely redeemed my purchase of the Steam Deck and then some. I set up sunrise + moonlight and I can stream Like A Dragon from my gaming PC at home like it's right in front of me man what the gently caress

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Annath posted:

Oh dear.

I have no issues "ripping my Xbox disc", but I don't know how well Xbox emulates. I've never tried.

OG Xbox seems to emulate either extremely well (Timesplitters 2/3), or just flat out not at all (Burnout 3) in Xemu. Granted, those are the only games I've tried. I would've emulated the first two Halos, but I got the Halo MCC for that, so :shrug:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Some games work really well in Xemu, some games won't run at all with very little middle ground. Halo 1 is fine, Halo 2 is not. It seems to be a pretty solid split between early and later Xbox games.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Hmm.

Well, KOTOR would be the only one I'm currently interested in. I have the MCC so I don't need to emulate Halo, same with Fable.

Man, I wish they'd put Fable 2 on PC. I liked it quite a bit.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

jokes posted:

This is the whole point of Steam Inout

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's infuriating to not be able to use your controller the normal way when there's a version of the game that does have controller support though.

Like Diablo 3.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
According to some Reddit post, KOTOR on Xemu runs flawlessly on the Steam Deck, but "Rev 1" crashes after the intro cinematic.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You could also emulate the switch version.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Tony Hawks 1+2 seems to work great out of the box on Steam Deck.

I’m so happy.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You could also emulate the switch version.

The Switch version is listed as "okay" on Yuzu (runs but with major glitches/issues) and "deadlock" (boots to black screen) on Ryujinx.

I'll see if there is a community profile for the PC version's controls. That way I can use bug fix mods as well.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Bumhead posted:

Tony Hawks 1+2 seems to work great out of the box on Steam Deck.

I’m so happy.

It appears to need an internet connection to start the game. Someone please tell me there is a way around it, otherwise i will refund it i rekon. What a crying shame because it is a perfect deck game.

acems
May 8, 2019

jokes posted:

It's infuriating to not be able to use your controller the normal way when there's a version of the game that does have controller support though.

Like Diablo 3.

Same with when developers build a whole UI for a console port and it's just not available. Anno 1800 :argh:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

One of the guys who made Fable just put out a free old school RPG game if folks are looking for new stuff to check out.

https://twitter.com/Fluttermind/status/1707529725609119884?t=SNhoE2k4vV5nJ1jnp-HOZw&s=19

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

One of the guys who made Fable just put out a free old school RPG game if folks are looking for new stuff to check out.

https://twitter.com/Fluttermind/status/1707529725609119884?t=SNhoE2k4vV5nJ1jnp-HOZw&s=19

This looks really really good.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Annath posted:

The Switch version is listed as "okay" on Yuzu (runs but with major glitches/issues) and "deadlock" (boots to black screen) on Ryujinx.

I'll see if there is a community profile for the PC version's controls. That way I can use bug fix mods as well.

I found this reddit post with suggested settings: https://reddit.com/r/kotor/s/l5aH8UL2gm

Best part: the game apparently crashes if you use 1200x800 resolution. The fix is to set it to 1201x801 :wtc:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Science_enthusiast posted:

It appears to need an internet connection to start the game. Someone please tell me there is a way around it, otherwise i will refund it i rekon. What a crying shame because it is a perfect deck game.

Yep, sure does. What a real loving shame, because it runs really well. I travel too much to deal with something that requires connection. :(

EDIT: People are saying you can block the .exe in your OS firewall and it won't call out and lets you play, but gently caress if I know how to do that on the Deck

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 3, 2023

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

I'm guessing this doesn't have controller support.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quixzlizx posted:

I'm guessing this doesn't have controller support.

Doesn’t seem like it but I could totally see a community profile for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

MarcusSA posted:

Doesn’t seem like it but I could totally see a community profile for it.

There's a community profile already that works fine for basic stuff, but the game apparently has you talk to NPCs by free typing text, which is a huge pain.

I couldn't get past the first NPC because no matter what I typed the NPC didn't react, and typing with the virtual keyboard sucks.