Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Nightmare is 364 days before next Halloween. It starts November 1st and ends on Christmas eve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Obviously Nightmare Before Christmas is a Thanksgiving movie. Bridge that gap.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Deadite posted:

If it’s Saw vs Final Destination, I’m a Final Destination person all the way. The bad guy in the FD movies is literally death, so we don’t need to know their backstory of motivations.

Whereas in Saw (or at least Saw 4) the writers seem to think we all really want to know why Jigsaw is a killer and to hear more of his tortured philosophy, when all I really want are killer puzzle traps

I know its stupid because its horror movies but along these lines.

At some point the sprawling conspiracy of the Saw people would be figured out and snuffed out of existence. Again, its horror, I get that we have to suspend belief that a dream demon, a revenant in a lake, an ironman psychopath that can take no damage, exist but in universe they all KINDA make sense. Final Destination death says gently caress you, I am the boss and just gets ridculous but with Saw, the further it goes on the more people in it, it would be discovered.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Mooseontheloose posted:

At some point the sprawling conspiracy of the Saw people would be figured out and snuffed out of existence. Again, its horror, I get that we have to suspend belief that a dream demon, a revenant in a lake, an ironman psychopath that can take no damage, exist but in universe they all KINDA make sense. Final Destination death says gently caress you, I am the boss and just gets ridculous but with Saw, the further it goes on the more people in it, it would be discovered.

I don't follow. Like it does get discovered?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

it gets discovered multiple times including the first movie where jigsaw gets shot in the leg

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah and in the later movies the entire motivation of Detective Hoffman is "boy howdy i sure hope i don't get discovered like everyone else did" (he does).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah and in the later movies the entire motivation of Detective Hoffman is "boy howdy i sure hope i don't get discovered like everyone else did" (he does).

I guess I am not explaining it well.

It feels like the amount of resources and timing and coincidence makes it feel contrived?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Mooseontheloose posted:

It feels like the amount of resources and timing and coincidence makes it feel contrived?

Oh so do you mean like the vastness of the conspiracy should have been discovered earlier? Yeah that makes more sense.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I’m doing horror movie trivia tonight and I need a team name that will prove I’m no dilettante

I’m thinking “Tom Atkins’ Whiskey Shakes” but I’m flexible, anyone have a good name I can use?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh so do you mean like the vastness of the conspiracy should have been discovered earlier? Yeah that makes more sense.

Yes! Thank you.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Deadite posted:

I’m doing horror movie trivia tonight and I need a team name that will prove I’m no dilettante

I’m thinking “Tom Atkins’ Whiskey Shakes” but I’m flexible, anyone have a good name I can use?

The Team With All the Gifts

Team 2: The New Batch

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Mooseontheloose posted:

saw has one of the most ridiculously contrived timelines in the history of horror, that's the best part

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

it's easy to uncover the Saw conspiracy but to do so and also stay alive? forget about it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shrecknet posted:

The Team With All the Gifts

Team 2: The New Batch

Just "Team 2" would be a good name if you were solo. Because there's not actually a team in it.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I did “Freddy Krueger’s Daycare Center” for trivia last year but that isn’t a deep cut

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Gaitlin Nebraska Childcare Center

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Woodsboro High Mathletes (Slashletes?)

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I feel like Saw wouldn't be a very enjoyable binge watch. I tried and bounced off midway through 3, although happen to have seen 6, Jigsaw and Spiral all later and don't think any of them are particularly good. Jigsaw in particular was a disappointment since I was interested in the Spierig brothers coming off Predestination

My understanding of the sequels after 2 is they all fell into a predictable pattern of the movie mainly focuses on one guy going through a series of traps where everybody else gets killed in gruesome ways and meanwhile we cut back and forth to the timeline soap opera of John Kramer stuff which got increasingly convoluted and boring and never really recaptured the magic, mainly focusing on Jigsaw's wife (cast because she was the producer's fiance) and the apprentice

Whereas I think why 1 and 2 worked is they had that Cube thing going for it where you actually want to see if any of them can work together to get out

I still haven't seen X but I'm kind of intrigued to see why it's so positive. The thing I'm seeing people praise about it (that they just straight up make John the protagonist and the victims are mainly despicable conmen) seem... interesting since I think the premise that Jigsaw isn't a murderer he's actually helping people bla bla bla has always been kind of bullshit, and the films work better when they acknowledge that he obviously has a sadistic streak and his traps aren't actually that fair, and where there's actually dramatic tension where we want to see some people make it out. But I'm keeping an open mind!

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 2, 2023

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Deadite posted:

"Happy Happy Halloween Halloween Halloween Happy Happy Halloween Silver Shamrock", and demand it's read out in its entirety every time.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Eh, I wanted the Saw X victims to make it out and like, that isn't exactly how they are presented.
Like the majority of them are just people who don't have the best lot in life trying to make a quick buck. They aren't really even like part of the main scheme, just locals picked up for this batch of patients because the mastermind takes this grift on the road. Its not that they are more awful than other Saw victims, and heck are way more sympathetic than a lot of them, its just the personal stakes for Kramer.

And the most despicable one is the lady who makes it out in the end lol.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 2, 2023

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

"Happy Happy Halloween Halloween Halloween Happy Happy Halloween Silver Shamrock", and demand it's read out in its entirety every time.

ooooh that's good, that's a team name that triggers a sense memory even for people that have only seen that once

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I was also thinking "Jigsaw's Dead Poet's Society" but that might be too abstract

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Quizmaster 2: Evil Never Dies

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I marathoned the SAW movies last October and I would very much confirm it’s a miserable experience of diminishing returns.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Deadite posted:

“My favorite music genre is Hausu”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snooze Cruise posted:

Eh, I wanted the Saw X victims to make it out and like, that isn't exactly how they are presented.
Like the majority of them are just people who don't have the best lot in life trying to make a quick buck. They aren't really even like part of the main scheme, just locals picked up for this batch of patients because the mastermind takes this grift on the road. Its not that they are more awful than other Saw victims, and heck are way more sympathetic than a lot of them, its just the personal stakes for Kramer.

And the most despicable one is the lady who makes it out in the end lol.

They knowingly take money from dying people and lie to them saying they’re cured even though they know drat well they will die.

They all deserved to die.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

They knowingly take money from dying people and lie to them saying they’re cured even though they know drat well they will die.

100%

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You could maybe make a slight case for that one character and the film did more or less. But still.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The most damning/impressive feat of the SAW franchise is that it effectively created a generation of people putting themselves into the mind of serial killers rationalizing why their victims deserve it. Dexter never could have pulled that off.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CelticPredator posted:

Maybe I am built different, but I don't think anyone deserves to die in a Saw trap B)

But also this is a series with rapists as victims. We had an entire movie with victims whose entire job is finding reasons to not give dying people money. They (the mexico crew at least) are not especially bad people for this series.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 2, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jigsaw’s philosophy is bullshit and he’s a psychopath

There’s not one character who I believe came out the other side loving life and having a positive Influence on this world. I know they had a jigsaw victims meeting thing in 7 but I don’t think those people were anything but broken.

Anyway yeah they did deserve to die in X. Very repugnant people

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like the one thing I kind of like about the SAW films is that they basically acknowledge that all of Jigsaw’s acolytes are full of poo poo and are just psychopaths rationalizing their blood lust. But that works directly against the general reverence for Jigsaw always acting like he really has some kind of point or actual righteous mission. I don’t think the movies are pushing a philosophy or anything but they built up Jigsaw into this messianic figure and are boxed in.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
most of jigsaws victims were just people who werent living their life the way he thought they should hes an rear end in a top hat but toobin bell owns so jigsaw owns

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tobin Bell is loving awesome and yeah you’re right he’s the only thing keeping the character interesting.

He’s incredible in Saw X. I hope they just keep making him the main character until he calls it quits

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s funny and a bit sad that it took them this long to realize you have a great horror character you need to use more.

I’m glad the film didn’t wuss out either and give us another main who could be a moral anchor.

It’s just jiggy baby.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

When there’s a gif available I may have to change my avatar to the aztec head heater.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

I marathoned the SAW movies last October and I would very much confirm it’s a miserable experience of diminishing returns.

trivia team name here

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

STAC Goat posted:

Like the one thing I kind of like about the SAW films is that they basically acknowledge that all of Jigsaw’s acolytes are full of poo poo and are just psychopaths rationalizing their blood lust. But that works directly against the general reverence for Jigsaw always acting like he really has some kind of point or actual righteous mission. I don’t think the movies are pushing a philosophy or anything but they built up Jigsaw into this messianic figure and are boxed in.

X feels very messy with how it deals with Kramer but I feel like it works. Every confused aspect of his character is there and then the movie presents an alternate interpenetration of him as a sort of con artist himself, which fits with the messiah stuff.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I feel like Saw wouldn't be a very enjoyable binge watch. I tried and bounced off midway through 3, although happen to have seen 6, Jigsaw and Spiral all later and don't think any of them are particularly good. Jigsaw in particular was a disappointment since I was interested in the Spierig brothers coming off Predestination

I did it last week to prepare for X and it was a good time. My favorites ended up being 3 and 4, and my least favorites 5 and 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Deadite posted:

"Your Trivia Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Answer Key"