Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
also guns are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
what too much covid protection will do to a mfer

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

you guys are just jealous

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

also guns are good

Lol see you in the SAD thread

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
https://twitter.com/boulware_dr/status/1709214143989838225

https://activ6study.org/

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Trip report, colonoscopy went fine and everyone was masked in the clinic thankfully. The main hospital, though, hardly any staff was wearing a mask but I only interacted with admitting and I was there early so not many people yet. Everyone in the waiting room was masked too which isn’t surprising.

I got great news, just waiting for biopsy results.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's incredibly funny that eighteen guys showed up to laugh at a dude who will never read their posts.

Apr 7, 2003

Maybe they were reading every single post all along.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Glumwheels posted:

Trip report, colonoscopy went fine and everyone was masked in the clinic thankfully. The main hospital, though, hardly any staff was wearing a mask but I only interacted with admitting and I was there early so not many people yet. Everyone in the waiting room was masked too which isn’t surprising.

I got great news, just waiting for biopsy results.

congrats on healthy pooper status

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Gunshow Poophole posted:

congrats on healthy pooper status

Thanks, not there yet but much improved than it ever has been and hopefully continuing that trend.

Apr 7, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

Thanks, not there yet but much improved than it ever has been and hopefully continuing that trend.

my wife has the same issue you've got iirc and she's currently in insurance hell trying to swap her Stelara from UPMC to Cigna. She's also hiding how lovely it is from me because she suggested I make the job change and doesn't want me to feel bad about it even though I can hear and see her getting stuck on the phone for hours

america kicks rear end so much

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
https://novavax-finder.github.io

Same outdated db as vaccines.gov, but you can filter out all the CVS listings. The author confirmed it's ready to go for XBB, just waiting on the db to update

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Rock Puncher posted:

im going out to a friends house next week, any precautions i can take that dont involve looking like that dude from batman or whatever with the cool facemask

Why would you willingly look uncool?

Steve Yun posted:

my test2treat tests arrived

it’s one test per box

NeonPunk posted:

Just how big are the swabs???

Farnsworth good news is a suppository.jpeg

Maniacal laughter intensifies

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

GXL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2WpOu_sRDQ

This song contains satirical references to gun violence. I DO NOT SUPPORT GUN VIOLENCE. I DO NOT SUPPORT GUN OWNERSHIP. I DO NOT SUPPORT CARRYING CONCEALED WEAPONS.

If you decide to quote this post, I’d really appreciate if you included the disclaimer text so that it doesn’t get lost in the shuffle.

Thanks again, CSPAM covid thread. Couldn’t have done it without you. Fare thee well.

TOTAL SYMPTOMATIC COVID INFECTIONS TO DATE: 0

This man FUCKS
Stay safe comrade, come back when you're ready

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

GXL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2WpOu_sRDQ

This song contains satirical references to gun violence. I DO NOT SUPPORT GUN VIOLENCE. I DO NOT SUPPORT GUN OWNERSHIP. I DO NOT SUPPORT CARRYING CONCEALED WEAPONS.

If you decide to quote this post, I’d really appreciate if you included the disclaimer text so that it doesn’t get lost in the shuffle.

Thanks again, CSPAM covid thread. Couldn’t have done it without you. Fare thee well.

TOTAL SYMPTOMATIC COVID INFECTIONS TO DATE: 0

This is amazing and you own
Goonspeed to you good man, take care and stay safe!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Isn't europe doing "no boosters for anyone under 65"?

Nah. Probably depends on the country, but generally you can get shot full of nanomachines if you're over 12 at least.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Isn't europe doing "no boosters for anyone under 65"?

Australia used to be "get a booster every 6 months" but they recently changed that to "you can only get a 2nd booster in 2023 if you're over 65 or severely immunocompromised" so most people under 65 who got a jab earlier this year won't be able to get an updated booster anytime soon .... assuming we even get updated boosters here anytime soon

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

quote:

For younger people or older adults without severe immunocompromise who have already had a dose in 2023, no further doses are currently recommended. Their baseline risk of severe illness is low if they have already been vaccinated, and particularly if they have also had prior infection.1 Therefore a further 2023 dose will offer little additional benefit even if it has been more than 6 months since their last dose.
https://www.health.gov.au/news/atagi-update-on-the-covid-19-vaccination-program

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is pestilence related. Wait for it.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
i am getting a lot of questions from friends about the novavax vaccine. has anyone assembled a shareable google doc with annotations to research studies and things about what it (maybe) can and can't do? i am too hosed.

here is what i wrote to a friend (and may not be 100% accurate, but to give something to work off)

quote:

short version:

there is strong evidence that Novavax's side effects (reactogenicity) are less intense than mRNA, based on the phase 3 clinical trials. The evidence in the trials was quite clear in this direction, but there is some uncertainty because not enough people have gotten Novavax to make weird super rare side effcts show up

there is moderate evidence that Novavax performs better against new variants than mRNA vaccines because its design attacks a more broadly conserved part of the spike protein that varies less across variants. However, this evidence isn't from clinical trials, it's from neutralization assays released as part of the EUA. but not sure where you're getting the "it doesn't work as well" from

there is moderate evidence that, on the margin, heterologous boosting (mixing/matching kinds of vaccines) in the original shot series broadens immunity, but that hasn't been demonstrated for, you know, 4/5 shots + infection doing that already

the best evidence we have suggests that the only benefit of a booster (past the original 3 shots) is a transient (2-3 month) and modest (40%?) protection against infection, and not any better performance against disease once you have it.

why isn't novavax more widely used then posted:

the mRNA vaccines, as you know, use your own body as a factory to make the spike protein it then reacts against.

novavax makes the spike protein by cloning billions of moths genetically engineering to express the protein, liquidating them, extracting the protein, and mixing it an adjuvent isolated from the sap of a chilean tree.
so it's a much more manufacturing intensive process because you can't rely on the vaccinated human as the last mile of the manufacturing
i think the generally accepted, non-conspiratorial take on why novavax is considered a second-class vaccine is not because of performance related (where it seems to slightly outperform mRNA vaccines), but because it is more technologically elegant and efficient

(the conspiratorial takes fall into two broad categories: one "they are implanting 5g chips in your brain," and the other "powerful people are literally and figuratively invested in mRNA vaccines as the future")

what will the boost do for me posted:

here is how i understand it:

there is a temporary and transient boost to your protection against infection because each shot, regardless of vaccine technology, puts a spike protein in your body. your body makes antibodies against the vaccine-generated spike, which then hang around in your blood for 2-3 months before your body recycles them. during this period, if you are exposed to covid, these vaccine-induced antibodies may get to the virus before it can replicate sufficiently to cause infection.

the updated boosters are all tailored to specific variants, but there are many variants circulating. there is some modest evidence that the antibodies generated in response to the novavax vaccine are capable of recognizing a broader range of variants during that 2-3 month time period, so if you are exposed to something besides the variant that the boosters are designed toward, that might help, at the margin.
there is no evidence that any booster (past the original three shot series) helps at all with fighting the disease post-infection.
so if you get infected, you don't say "that's okay i was recently boosted," you say "time to get paxlovid"

Petey has issued a correction as of 13:06 on Oct 5, 2023

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

wonder if they'll ever do a real study with low-level rapamycin dosage. i think matt kaeberlein did a retrospective survey that showed statistical significance but by design the results aren't rigorous

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Threw out my old respirator, it was getting old (replaced the filter three times that I remember so it's definitely a old one) the straps were getting worn out and the form has been getting flatter.

God I just *love* the feeling of a brand new respirator especially how it just immediately sticks to your skin and it just act like a magnet, you get an immediate perfect seal

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Still can't get over the fact that in the future I'm getting excited about buying respirator masks.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Oracle posted:

it’ll decline and flatten until Halloween, start ramping back up towards Thanksgiving (at which point the media will start to report on the unignorable slam on ERs and hospitals) rocket up towards Christmas and through New Years, peaking around the second week of January and then starting to slowly decline, with a few blips on Valentine’s Day, spring breaks, Easter, then decline again and settle at a new higher background rate until the 4th of July when it’ll start ramping up again in time for back to school.

this pattern is how i schedule my dentist/doctor appointments. it was noticeable in 2021. blows my mind how no one notices this poo poo at all.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

my wife has the same issue you've got iirc and she's currently in insurance hell trying to swap her Stelara from UPMC to Cigna. She's also hiding how lovely it is from me because she suggested I make the job change and doesn't want me to feel bad about it even though I can hear and see her getting stuck on the phone for hours

the USA's 'free market' approach to healthcare/insurance is the most inefficient, wasteful, and adversarial solution imaginable. Every time I do any work with our rev cycle teams I am reminded at how incredibly dumb it is to allow a bunch of for-profit insurance companies to exist. the complexity and effort it takes to support billing and rev cycle for 8-10 different payers is difficult to explain - it amazes me it functions at all

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

It's not stupid if you approach it from another angle.

It's the most brilliant and amazing system for grifting money and distributing $$$ to shareholders.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Oh boy, I've spent, I don't know, 150+ hours on the phone arguing with insurance and specialty pharmacies about Stelara. What's loving crazy about it is the stuff costs less than half of what it did ~5 years ago, and they're still the biggest motherfuckers in the world about it.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

call_of_qthulhu posted:

this pattern is how i schedule my dentist/doctor appointments. it was noticeable in 2021. blows my mind how no one notices this poo poo at all.

Yeah nobody wants to pay any attention to COVID stuff so everything must be inexplicable, but if you are paying attention it's clear that a lot of transmission is driven by human activity, and if there's any predictability in COVID's "seasonality" it's found there, with variant trends being the other major factor that isn't really predictable in the same sense.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

flu season is now August through July

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

NeonPunk posted:

It's the most brilliant and amazing system for grifting money and distributing $$$ to shareholders.

:hmmyes:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

NeonPunk posted:

the purpose of a system is what it does.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

euphronius posted:

flu season is now August through July

personally i would argue that it's august through december

of the following year

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

So glad there's another study for Metformin. It looks promising, but so did Fluvoxamine.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I hear they're still working out some issues. im gonna wait for activ-8.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Some chicken pictures for the thread:

I continue to obtain tremendous mental health benefits from having chickens. Highly recommended.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Covid antibodies would theoretically start 2 weeks after infection? Trying to time getting my booster since I had Covid in early August.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

dew worm posted:

Covid antibodies would theoretically start 2 weeks after infection? Trying to time getting my booster since I had Covid in early August.

No, your body already immediately made antibodies once you get infected. The two weeks came from how long it takes for your body to stop ramping up antibodies production and that's when you're at the maximum titer levels.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Strep Vote posted:

Walgreens may have novavax at some point (the website says they do/will), though not right now because infrastructure is poo poo. Spouse spent 50 minutes on hold trying to confirm they have them so we'll just drop by tomorrow and see.

Despite stating they do on the website, Walgreens does not carry novavax and have no plans to do so, so it's back to hoping the two hour round trip to the county health office will work out.

Tools.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

dew worm posted:

You've got like two or three months of resistance similar to that provided by vaccination after each infection, so while it doesn't necessarily hurt to get vaccinated shortly after an infection, it makes more sense to wait so you're not layering them in a way that reduces the utility of the vaccine by making some amount of the titers from that overlap with your titers from infection.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

gotcha, thank you. I’ll see if I can get an appointment this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Internet Janitor posted:

Some chicken pictures for the thread:

I continue to obtain tremendous mental health benefits from having chickens. Highly recommended.

Aww yeah