Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Ziggy Smalls posted:

You can also do a mid strength throw by clicking both left and right with your mouse.

I'm pretty sure which finger you lift first can dictate the strength as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

PirateBob posted:

My question about why use smoke at long range wasn't answered, so I'll try again.

So, my noob understanding of smoke is that it increases the win chance of your team by blocking off some sniping spots/shooting corridors for the other team, and even blocks off the use of some routes, because the person running through smoke is at disadvantage when coming out of it, they'll be spotted slightly before they can spot the enemies on the other side?

You know smokes last a long time right?

An easy example is smoking Window on mirage from T spawn. You throw it from spawn and by the time it’s blooming you and your teammates are coming out top mid. This means window isn’t a threat so you can work your way up cat or connector. Plus you threw the smoke from a place where the enemies can’t see you, so you won’t get killed trying to throw it.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

you can smoke window from t spawn? seems a little far

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Alright, I'll look into smoke throwing locations soon. The idea of throwing grenades into the sky to have them land at some specific spot I can't see was pretty foreign to me, that's why I asked for details. Thanks.

Why do I have "Prime enabled" on the left side when I click Play in-game? I haven't bought it. I also got some care package a few days ago, which is supposed to be a Prime thing, I think?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if you bought csgo before it went free to play then you got prime status automatically

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

hbag posted:

Yes. The highest levels of play involves being able to throw such a smoke from where you spawned in, which is memorizing a dozen different lineups.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im just trying to figure out how that arc even works. seems like itd just land behind those boxes at the other end, at best

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

repiv posted:

if you bought csgo before it went free to play then you got prime status automatically

That explains it. :v:

Thinkin bout movement... I gather that counterstrafing is important. Does that mean I should basically never run diagonally with w+d/w+a? I'm really used to doing that in other games. But it makes it much harder to counterstrafe. Should I be doing more running with just w and tapping s if I see someone, and also use exclusive a-strafe and d-strafe more? :confused:

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

hbag posted:

im just trying to figure out how that arc even works. seems like itd just land behind those boxes at the other end, at best

Jump throws can go really far.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

hbag posted:

I know the url says csgo but they actually have cs 2 nades there. I haven't played in a long rear end time but you don't want to try memorizing everything. Just learn a few of the important ones

https://www.csgonades.com/maps/mirage

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

PirateBob posted:

Thinkin bout movement... I gather that counterstrafing is important. Does that mean I should basically never run diagonally with w+d/w+a? I'm really used to doing that in other games. But it makes it much harder to counterstrafe. Should I be doing more running with just w and tapping s if I see someone, and also use exclusive a-strafe and d-strafe more? :confused:

pretty much. unless youre completely still your bullets are just gonna go all over the place. like fifteen feet from where youre aiming kind of all over the place

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Yeah, if you’re gonna learn some set smokes I recommend just trying to learn a couple on each map, get to a point where you can throw them reliably in the moment to help your team. Don’t go crazy memorizing

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?

PirateBob posted:

Only pressing one movement button at a time is an important but very difficult habit to break when starting out for that reason

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
if you expect to see an enemy soon you should put full cover between you until you are ready to peek fully with a strafe of a or d, as that is the easiest and most reliable counterstrafe to do and will maximize your angular velocity to your enemy until you're ready to shoot

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
is paying 15 bux for the paid version worth it? I don't care about rankings but skins and poo poo are cool

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

hbag posted:

remember that holding left click throws further than tapping left click, and if you right click you underhand throw it a couple feet in front of you

I don’t think this is true afaik. There’s left click, right click, left+right, and right+left. If you run backwards (or forwards) during any of these you can change the trajectory, but standing still there’s no difference on how long you hold the click.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

hbag posted:

remember that holding left click throws further than tapping left click, and if you right click you underhand throw it a couple feet in front of you

Yeah that’s wrong. Left click tap and hold throw the same distance. Holding both mouse buttons is a medium throw

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

There are also two “medium” throws. If you hit left THEN right, it’s a different throw from right THEN left.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Pandaal posted:

There are also two “medium” throws. If you hit left THEN right, it’s a different throw from right THEN left.

Yeah there are 5 different strengths you can throw

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Is it? I'm in practice mode rn and that poo poo is the exact same

e: however if you let RB go and then immediately throw it will go a little farther & vice versa.

Psycho Society fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 9, 2023

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i cant believe a csgo youtuber would lie to me

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

With that being said I’ve never once seen a lineup that involves anything but left click, right click, jump left click, run left click.

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!

Pandaal posted:

This isn't true at all and you can see for yourself with the grenade camera in practice mode. L+R or R+L will both land in the same spot if they are released at the same time. It is inconsistent when you release one before the other because there is like a half second while the grenade switches to the new max or min distance. You can't count on the interim behavior and it's not worth trying to replicate in a match.

hbag posted:

Yup, and it's really easy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgnMM3Za_C0

I've been making a playlist of basic utility videos for the Sub.io group so you're welcome to use that as a starting point for useful things to learn.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbKKPKIRKV907V0IS47YAS3iaEbQeEcQc

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Caf posted:

I've been making a playlist of basic utility videos for the Sub.io group so you're welcome to use that as a starting point for useful things to learn.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbKKPKIRKV907V0IS47YAS3iaEbQeEcQc

This is very helpful, thanks

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
You can also google csgo smokes for some really handy sites that let you pick destination smoke and then common starting points

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Psycho Society posted:

is paying 15 bux for the paid version worth it? I don't care about rankings but skins and poo poo are cool

"Should I spend 15 Bux for a game when I am going to spend $100 on a solid yellow textured Mag-7?"

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Psycho Society posted:

The main attraction that I could see was that you get matched with other paying players. That should reduce the frequency of cheating somewhat. Because someone who cheats regularly isn't quite as likely to throw money into their account when that account might get banned.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i think the biggest "gently caress you" this game has is when you unbox a skin where you have to squint to notice any difference from the stock gun

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

Psycho Society posted:

- about as worth it to pay :10bux: to post here

- you should care about rankings because it's not a high score but the mechanism to give you fun games of equal skill level

- it's great to see team mates run around with literal thousand dollar skin collections while they're down in silver with us

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

PirateBob posted:

The main attraction that I could see was that you get matched with other paying players. That should reduce the frequency of cheating somewhat. Because someone who cheats regularly isn't quite as likely to throw money into their account when that account might get banned.

Youd be surprised lol

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
as someone who regularly cheats in matchmaking its not as prevalent as you think

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Refu deserves to be trolled. Simple as.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i genuinely dont see the appeal of cheating. what do people get out of it? like good job man you got the computer to do the work for you using someone else's software. so what

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

hbag posted:

i genuinely dont see the appeal of cheating. what do people get out of it?

Wins

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

literally anyone can win a game if the computer is doing it for them. its meaningless

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

They enjoy ruining it for other people.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Refu and tswift wiggling at each other through walls from the other spawns

I seen it

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Tried out the wingman mode in 3 games. First (and third) game was full of Russians who refused to speak English, teammate was useless, and I didn't even know you had to buy kevlar in this mode, so it all went south.

Won the next 2 games. Pretty good fun. I like how it's more focused, with smaller maps.

Feel like I should learn a few things about them though. I'm not familiar with Overpass or Vertigo in full size modes, let alone wingman. Are there any decent videos that show smoke locations etc for wingman?

Edit: Also open to any other tips for wingman. I'm thinking I should buy kevlar for the pistol round, especially for CT. Not entirely sure about T. And, are "eco rounds" a thing?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 9, 2023

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Tried out the wingman mode in 3 games. First (and third) game was full of Russians who refused to speak English, teammate was useless, and I didn't even know you had to buy kevlar in this mode, so it all went south.

Won the next 2 games. Pretty good fun. I like how it's more focused, with smaller maps.

Feel like I should learn a few things about them though. I'm not familiar with Overpass or Vertigo in full size modes, let alone wingman. Are there any decent videos that show smoke locations etc for wingman?

Edit: Also open to any other tips for wingman. I'm thinking I should buy kevlar for the pistol round, especially for CT. Not entirely sure about T. And, are "eco rounds" a thing?

Wingman is best to run with a buddy and practice pop flashes, in my experience. I think you'd struggle to get good lineups for smokes since the maps are so small, but if there are any, I'd suggest just learning smokes you can also use in competitive.

We usually force every round to get some practice with lovely guns but generally try to stay at 1900 if you want full kit the next round. Kevlar is good to buy by default on all sides because of aimpunch, unless you have really good reason to buy a nice pistol. Raidboss setup, where one teammate buys kevlar and his teammate buys him a tec9 is really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
What is this "CS:GO" referred to in the thread title? Is it CS2 on my iPhone?