Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Purdy is probably in the same boat as Brady in that he is surrounded by talent and excellent play calling and scheming, so he can just be a football robot and succeed because beep boop deebo is open pass to him on the far side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

MikeCrotch posted:

Bears/WR is pretty horrible too, iirc one of their top 5 recievers is a flanker from like the 40s

6 out of the top 10 all time Bears by receiving yards aren't even wide receivers.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Purdy is probably in the same boat as Brady in that he is surrounded by talent and excellent play calling and scheming, so he can just be a football robot and succeed because beep boop deebo is open pass to him on the far side

Brady's early years he wasn't surrounded by great talent. That 2001 offense was especially low on talent, and 03 and 04 weren't that much better but they did add Corey Dillon at RB. Then in 2007 he unexpectedly turned into one of the best passers in the league with the addition of Moss and beat Manning's TD mark which nobody saw coming.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

MikeCrotch posted:

Patriots/WR

Bears/WR is pretty horrible too, iirc one of their top 5 recievers is a flanker from like the 40s

the Pats have traded for/drafted Welker, Moss, and Edelman, three dudes who performed at a level Ravens fans can't even imagine, while Boldin and Smith were productive but nothing spectacular by the time the Ravens got them. not to say NE is good at it, but there's at least a few moves you can hang your hat on

Bears, though, yeah.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Pablo Bluth posted:

You see the problem is that all the Jets "QBs" the past few years have been so bad they technically fail to qualify as QBs and hence roughing the passing cannot be applied.

Aha, the little-known RTP analogue to how DPI isn't called if the throw was such dogshit that the receiver never had a chance to catch it anyway.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

I think the thing with Purdy is that he's good but specifically good in Shanahan's offense where there's often gonna be a guy schemed open and your job is to be decisive and throw that first read

I highly suspect (but might be wrong) that in another system his strengths wouldn't shine nearly so much

You could count on one hand the number of QBs in the league who can succeed independent of offensive playcalling/scheme

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MikeCrotch posted:

I think the thing with Purdy is that he's good but specifically good in Shanahan's offense where there's often gonna be a guy schemed open and your job is to be decisive and throw that first read

I highly suspect (but might be wrong) that in another system his strengths wouldn't shine nearly so much

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Thats the thing about Purdy though - he may not have the strongest arm and the system may be excellent, its not as simple as "first read is open". Many of the concepts in the system require the pass catcher to make a judgement call on which way to break and also, for the QB, "if the first read is covered that means the second read should be open" and its a skill to be on the same page as your pass catchers and to be confident and decisive to know which read to throw to. I have seen videos of Daboll scheming pass catchers open but Daniel Jones is incapable of throwing with anticipation so he never hits the guys that end up open, meanwhile Brock is throwing with great anticipation to the correct, open, read extremely well. Yes it is somewhat robotic but its not as simple as "throw down the right hash at 1.5 seconds with a 30 degree arc" => success

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

indigi posted:

the Pats have traded for/drafted Welker, Moss, and Edelman, three dudes who performed at a level Ravens fans can't even imagine, while Boldin and Smith were productive but nothing spectacular by the time the Ravens got them. not to say NE is good at it, but there's at least a few moves you can hang your hat on

Bears, though, yeah.

We're not as bad when it comes to signing and trading for WRs. Qadry Ismail, Derrick Mason, Anquan Boldin, Steve Smith. Some of the ones recently have sucked but none of them were real big signings/trades like a few of those. I'll even count Marcus Robinson in 2003 as a good signing.

Boldin's 2012 playoff run was probably the best period for a Ravens WR ever signing or drafted.

Also I think if there were a system that was so easy that any QB could succeed in it pretty much every team would be running that. Purdy is just a good player.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Cop labour unions :: referee labour unions
referees go on strike and we get horrible replacement refs

cops go on strike and we get fewer people arrested for Driving While Black.

not quite the same

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

indigi posted:

Bears, though, yeah.

The Patriots have drafted zero WR worth a poo poo since Edelman, in drafts where you could throw darts blindfolded and find one. Edelman was also a 7th round project where it didn't actually matter if he became anything or not. He also played QB in college

feller
Jul 5, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

One of Purdy's biggest strengths is how fast he makes his progressions actually.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I think Purdy's strengths are very well tailored to Shanahan's offense but he's definitely not a one-read QB, as said above he's more like a football robot, at least to date. If Shanny schemes open a wide open option one, well hey fantastic, but one of the first things that jumped out with Purdy was how he just flew through reads and if everything was blanketed had enough elusiveness to improvise and let one of his targets find some space. This is a great spot to maximize his strengths but I don't think that means any old rear end in a top hat could do it, certainly not at this level.

indigi posted:

oh that's totally fair, he's been very good over most (all?) of those starts, actively helping the offense win games. writing off the actual accomplishments he's had is silly

I think part of the issue is the (mostly knowingly over-exuberant) "next Tom Brady!!!" stuff which is of course several bridges too far and not fair to anybody but I think mostly just people having fun with it because it was fun for Mr Irrelevant to come in and look perfectly capable. But I think people wanting to reality check the hyperbole got hyperbolic in the opposite direction where everything he does is supposedly the easiest thing anyone has ever done and now we have a Brock Purdy Discourse where he's either literally Joe Montana Jr. or Kyle Shanahan's ventriloquist dummy and I don't think either is very fair to him.

Really, though, the only relevant question for the Niners is if he's gonna be worth a dumptruck worth of money when he's extension-eligible. I'm pretty bullish on him but I'm also glad they have a lot of games of info to take in before they have to make that call.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Pron on VHS posted:

The Chiefs almost lost to the Jets. Haven’t scored 30 in a game yet. Scoring a ton does help in the playoffs. Putting 70 on a team does mean something! But all 3 teams play each other this season so in a few weeks we will know more.

Would it make you feel better if Mahomes ran that touchdown in and the Chiefs then would be above 30 and beat the Jets by 10

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pablo Bluth posted:

You see the problem is that all the Jets "QBs" the past few years have been so bad they technically fail to qualify as QBs and hence roughing the passing cannot be applied.

This is literally what refs think.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

kiimo posted:

Would it make you feel better if Mahomes ran that touchdown in and the Chiefs then would be above 30 and beat the Jets by 10

I would've felt better if the Jets didn't get hosed by the refs on a 60 yard TD run that should've been called back and on an interception that the refs gave Mahomes a mulligan on tbh.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Take a ref breather McMagic

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Dutchy posted:

I think part of the issue is the (mostly knowingly over-exuberant) "next Tom Brady!!!" stuff which is of course several bridges too far and not fair to anybody but I think mostly just people having fun with it because it was fun for Mr Irrelevant to come in and look perfectly capable.

I think "next Tom Brady!!!" at least partially comes from the fact that at least to people with eyes as untrained as mine Tom Brady also looks like a football robot. Purdy's success looks like Brady's success. Few hilarious scrambles or dramatic long bombs, just oh hey another first down??

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

kiimo posted:

Take a ref breather McMagic

I can't believe I'm saying this, given who you're replying to, but the refs consistently hosed the Jets in that game. The missed holding call, the pick that got called back, the no call on Wilson getting loving mugged; I realize bad officiating is part of sports but that interception call was the definition of a ticky tack call. And it absolutely cost the Jets the game.

I'd be angry, too.

(I'm still taking the Chiefs seriously until they get eliminated)

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 9, 2023

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CannonFodder posted:

not quite the same

*throws flag at you* unsportsmanlike conduct bucko, that’ll be 15 yards

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

MikeCrotch posted:

Maybe those other coaches should come up with a scheme that's gets their receivers open too?

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Purdy played four years behind mediocre to terrible Iowa state OLs where he was 1 of 3 playmakers that could maybe win the game if he scrambled just right and pulled a rabbit out of his hat. Chilling out and just being a consistent cog in a well functioning machine is probably easy mode for him.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this, given who you're replying to, but the refs consistently hosed the Jets in that game. The missed holding call, the pick that got called back, the no call on Wilson getting loving mugged; I realize bad officiating is part of sports but that interception call was the definition of a ticky tack call. And it absolutely cost the Jets the game.

I'd be angry, too.

this is the week 5 aftermath thread though

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Insulting the refs is always timely and correct.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

kiimo posted:

this is the week 5 aftermath thread though

Good thing there wasn't a game changing call that went in the Cheif's favor in the last minutes of the game in week 5!!!! oh wait................

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

all refs are bastards

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

epic bacon posted:

all refs are bastards

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd be angry, too.

The jets also benefited from a safety that wasn’t a safety and had a drive extended by a horse collar that wasn’t a horse collar. The officiating was what it was, and no amount of being mad about specific calls is gonna change that, ever.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

mcmagic posted:

Are you an NFL ref?

Worse. I'm the VP of Officiating :black101:

mcmagic posted:

Good thing there wasn't a game changing call that went in the Cheif's favor in the last minutes of the game in week 5!!!! oh wait................

I called this one in.

Nervous fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 9, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

epic bacon posted:

all refs are bastards
Unfortunate acronym, sadly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

No Butt Stuff posted:

The jets also benefited from a safety that wasn’t a safety and had a drive extended by a horse collar that wasn’t a horse collar. The officiating was what it was, and no amount of being mad about specific calls is gonna change that, ever.

Very easy to say this when your team gets handed games by refs 2 weeks in a row.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Unfortunate acronym, sadly.

AZAB

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Very easy to say this when your team gets handed games by refs 2 weeks in a row.

There’s really no point in arguing with you.

Take a deep breath.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yeah, that's better.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I just want to know why the DB was allowed to take his helmet off and the ref just told him to put it back on instead of flagging him

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

a neat cape posted:

I just want to know why the DB was allowed to take his helmet off and the ref just told him to put it back on instead of flagging him

Didn’t they say in the broadcast that with the flag down, play was stopped? I dunno, doesn’t make a ton of sense.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Didn’t they say in the broadcast that with the flag down, play was stopped? I dunno, doesn’t make a ton of sense.

I think you're still not allowed to just take your helmet off. At the worst, it should have been a dead ball foul. I dunno

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

No they said in the broadcast that's 100% a penalty and there was no explanation for him not getting flagged

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Thats the thing about Purdy though - he may not have the strongest arm and the system may be excellent, its not as simple as "first read is open". Many of the concepts in the system require the pass catcher to make a judgement call on which way to break and also, for the QB, "if the first read is covered that means the second read should be open" and its a skill to be on the same page as your pass catchers and to be confident and decisive to know which read to throw to. I have seen videos of Daboll scheming pass catchers open but Daniel Jones is incapable of throwing with anticipation so he never hits the guys that end up open, meanwhile Brock is throwing with great anticipation to the correct, open, read extremely well. Yes it is somewhat robotic but its not as simple as "throw down the right hash at 1.5 seconds with a 30 degree arc" => success

Here's a really good look at what he's doing from the Cardinals game. Watch his feet as he goes through his reads, he's set to throw the ball on every read, as he makes them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58J5uOc_FWA

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

not quite the same

They do both get to investigate themselves and declare “it was fine” with no recourse or oversight. So I feel like the analogy holds up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

AndrewP posted:

https://twitter.com/PFF_Brad/status/1711411832282353884#m

this is why I'm not freaking out. Lamar is killing it, the new offense is "working", the defense is still great, they have Justin Tucker... yesterday was an unusually bad day for the WRs and it's unlikely to happen again. annoying to lose but not worth panicking over.

I'm not really worried about Lamar, he's gonna have his hiccups because he's Just Having Fun Out There but he's fine