Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Music only damages your hearing if you don’t like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
When you do get hearing aids make sure to get the directional ones so you can understand speech slightly better in noisy environments.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

I just cant do it man. Granted I dont work in a loud environment nor am in a rehearsing band. I probably go to 15-20 live performances a year to see stuff I like. I'm probably gonna use them when I go to stuff I'm not really excited about

Lol what a preposterous hill to die on

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mr. Pickles posted:

I just cant do it man.
Sure you can. Just take the plastic-y, foam-y things and put them in your listening holes until the music's a bit quieter.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Mr. Pickles posted:

I just cant do it man. Granted I dont work in a loud environment nor am in a rehearsing band. I probably go to 15-20 live performances a year to see stuff I like. I'm probably gonna use them when I go to stuff I'm not really excited about
Seriously man, as someone who has pretty loving bad tinnitus due to being a stupid rear end in a top hat in his teens through mid-20's and not wearing earplugs, wear loving earplugs. Modern earplugs are so much better than the lovely foam plugs I had in the early 90s. Just loving do it. It's not worth it to not. Ask my wife who wants to murder me every day cause she's so sick of my asking her to repeat herself cause I can't understand what she's saying to me from the other room.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

^

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
These are $8 for a 3pack and are the best ones I've found for music. The large foam ones cut out too much for me

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00284DIPK

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just cant do it man. Granted I don't have to drive for work nor spend time on the highway. I probably take 15-20 drives a year just to get somewhere I like. I'll probably only wear my seatbelt when I have to go somewhere far away.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

My wife had tinnitus that comes and goes and there are days when she's in absolute agony with the noise. I feel bad, because there's very little that can be done. What I'm saying is, wear earplugs. You can get good ones online that feel comfortable and will allow you to hear the music without destroying your hearing. No one is going to judge if you have them in. If for some reason they do, they're dickhead assholes and can gently caress off forever.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Imagine giving a poo poo what people think about your use of protective equipment so that you're not permanently disabled. It reminds me of toxic anti-helmet poo poo in street skating. I knew a guy who refused to wear a helmet and ended up cracking his skull trying to nollie tre down a 5 stair. AFAIK he still can barely speak coherently. At least he didn't look like a herb.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

it's like playing rec hockey without a cage on your helmet.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Spanish Manlove posted:

When you do get hearing aids make sure to get the directional ones so you can understand speech slightly better in noisy environments.

Absolutely not!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It gets rapidly worse in your mid 40's because the nerves in your ear will start to degrade and your brain in effect cranks up the gain on everything to compensate.. which makes the ringing louder.

So if you're in your 30's and are all "it's not that bad, I can live with this!" guess what that's just a preview. You'll hit a day where it's always there all the time and you curse your past self for being such an idiot. There's no cure and no way to go back.. the therapies that exist more or less revolve around learning to ignore it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Hearing damage presents itself in ways other than just tinnitus or phantom ringing. Even with mild to moderate threshold shift there is a significant decrease in the ability to understand speech in noisy environments. Also there's another thing that's less common where sounds will go from "very quiet" to "so loud it's painful" with very little intensity or volume increase.

Overall, if you go to shows at all or listen to loud music at home: wear earplugs or make an appointment at an audiologist to get fitted for hearing aids. Note, hearing aids still won't help you understand speech in noisy environments with current technology

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Oldstench posted:

Seriously man, as someone who has pretty loving bad tinnitus due to being a stupid rear end in a top hat in his teens through mid-20's and not wearing earplugs, wear loving earplugs. Modern earplugs are so much better than the lovely foam plugs I had in the early 90s. Just loving do it. It's not worth it to not. Ask my wife who wants to murder me every day cause she's so sick of my asking her to repeat herself cause I can't understand what she's saying to me from the other room.

Not an emptyquote

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Safety rules.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I wish someone would turn off the CRT TV I hear whining all the time.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Rexxed posted:

I wish someone would turn off the CRT TV I hear whining all the time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who knows this sound.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
100% on ear plugs. I wish i was told by people to when I was younger. Always wore protection when i worked at the airport and at band practices.....but loooooooooooooooots of metal shows for for 15 years and non metal shows before that....really wish I could go back in time on that one. Also just the 10/15 dollar ear plugs ghat you can reuse are 100 times better sounding than the lovely foam ones. Music actually sounds clearer at shows and band practice with them.

I would die if I didnt wear them at practice since i stand right in front of drums haha.

Separate news, spent all weekend recording drums for next album so excited to finally get a new album out after the long covid hiatus.

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 10, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i went shooting ONCE without ear pro in my early 20s and my ears rang about once a month for a few minutes for years afterwards

this put the fear of god in me and i wear earpro whenever necessary now

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Southern Cassowary posted:

i went shooting ONCE without ear pro in my early 20s and my ears rang about once a month for a few minutes for years afterwards

this put the fear of god in me and i wear earpro whenever necessary now

every time i go hunting i don't wear ear protection but a single slug out of my shotgun rattles me to the bones and i regret it every time

however, i wear plugs no matter what at a show

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I sat through imaginations from the other side with plugs in my ears but it was lackluster and sad I just pulled them right out afterwards

Thank you for caring goons, I really appreciate it and I get the point. Its just not for me, but I do need my ears to stay healthy.
Thing is, paying a steep price to go see a live act just loses meaning when muffling the sound so much. Stupid electronic music I can do it, no problem, but it's gotta be a huge nono for metal shows. I will have to stop going to shows at 36 like all the fuckheads who go like "ah yes, I went to see maiden in 1999 but eh, I am done with shows because I am old". I never wanted to be that

It kinda baffles me though when you all are saying its still fun to go to shows with earplugs on when to me it is such a dealbreaker which sucks all the excitement away

Motherfucker, getting old loving sucks. You have to give up stuff you love to live longer

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

every time i go hunting i don't wear ear protection but a single slug out of my shotgun rattles me to the bones and i regret it every time

however, i wear plugs no matter what at a show

Thing is, you dont get added excitement from hunting without ear protection

Before yall go berserk on me for saying I wont go to shows: What I mean is, I currently spend like 800-1000€ a year on shows, with ear plugs on I will have to cut at least 50% from that and find better use for my money, crochet classes maybe IDK. Beats singing along to your fave songs and hearing your own loving voice in your head above everything else

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 10, 2023

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Saw Limp Bizkit last night. They were fun and my high school self is pumped.

Saw them a year or two back, they are really fun live and the shows are super high energy.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

henpod posted:

Saw them a year or two back, they are really fun live and the shows are super high energy.

Saw them at a metal festival opening with Method Man's Bring the Pain just playing for about a minute before the band started to make noise, was amusing to see rather big parts of the crowd looking confused like what the gently caress is this poo poo

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Mr. Pickles posted:

Thing is, paying a steep price to go see a live act just loses meaning when muffling the sound so much.

Truly don't know wtf you're doing, generally earplugs make the music clearer

Either this is a bit or you're putting like old timey cotton in your ears

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Maybe his hearing is already so shot that the plugs just destroy what little he can actually hear

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mr. Pickles posted:

I sat through imaginations from the other side with plugs in my ears but it was lackluster and sad I just pulled them right out afterwards

Thank you for caring goons, I really appreciate it and I get the point. Its just not for me, but I do need my ears to stay healthy.
Thing is, paying a steep price to go see a live act just loses meaning when muffling the sound so much. Stupid electronic music I can do it, no problem, but it's gotta be a huge nono for metal shows. I will have to stop going to shows at 36 like all the fuckheads who go like "ah yes, I went to see maiden in 1999 but eh, I am done with shows because I am old". I never wanted to be that

It kinda baffles me though when you all are saying its still fun to go to shows with earplugs on when to me it is such a dealbreaker which sucks all the excitement away

Motherfucker, getting old loving sucks. You have to give up stuff you love to live longer

Before yall go berserk on me for saying I wont go to shows: What I mean is, I currently spend like 800-1000€ a year on shows, with ear plugs on I will have to cut at least 50% from that and find better use for my money, crochet classes maybe IDK. Beats singing along to your fave songs and hearing your own loving voice in your head above everything else

I told you to test out your earplugs before the show and find ones you like because everyone gets ones they hate and then takes them out in the middle of the show. Shows are still fun when you get earplugs that are comfortable and attenuate the sound without muffling it. You just sound very stupid and American about all of this.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

OK So which is a good set of earplugs? Goons ITT have declared my earplugs to be good, which I don't find to be the case

I have 20€ Alpine earplugs, also this is not a bit I will go and see a ear doctor about this

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't do anything until you see the doctor, you won't find a solution on a forum you need real data. Earplugs don't attenuate a flat line, some frequencies get cut more than others (usually the high frequencies).

So if everything sounds bad with plugs in it may just be cutting frequencies excessively where you already have a hearing problem. But you can't know that until you see the doctor.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Mr. Pickles posted:

Beats singing along to your fave songs and hearing your own loving voice in your head above everything else

Not encouraging you at all because you’re being reckless with your hearing, but I will agree this is by far the worst part about wearing plugs and it makes me very sad that I have to pick between screaming along and hearing only myself or not screaming and hearing the band.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I generally find my ears adjust to my bullshit after about 5 minutes of screaming

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

moxieman posted:

Not encouraging you at all because you’re being reckless with your hearing, but I will agree this is by far the worst part about wearing plugs and it makes me very sad that I have to pick between screaming along and hearing only myself or not screaming and hearing the band.

That's not a big deal tbh. You can't have it all..I just need to find the correct plugs I guess, or if my ears are busted I need to know about it and see what I can do

I ve been freediving for years but certified people in the sport say it does not affect your hearing. If anything is trains your ear to be more durable. There used to be theories that freediving and scuba put excessive strain on your eardrum, but this has been debunked for years, now everyone says its all cool and good equalizing as much as you like and if you do it right you don't damage you ears.

I dont mean to derail the thread I'll just go to doctor and report back, you dicks

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i wear earplugs to shows and have my whole life (thanks Dad for teaching me to wear plugs), except recently I was at a drag race and was too close to a jet car blasting off without my plugs.

My ears rang for a day and there's been a pressure difference in my ears ever since (probably a month now). The pressure difference drives me as nuts as the ringing.

Dont just wear plugs to shows, wear them to all loud events. I didnt even know sound could gently caress with the pressure in your ears but ig it can.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mr. Pickles posted:

OK So which is a good set of earplugs? Goons ITT have declared my earplugs to be good, which I don't find to be the case

I have 20€ Alpine earplugs, also this is not a bit I will go and see a ear doctor about this

I linked the ones I personally like the most after testing a bunch of them at home and at concerts. I even tested out a few pairs the audiology clinic hands out and hated all of them for the exact same reason you took yours out: it cut every frequency except bass.

Also it may not seem the case but your ears will adjust to sound levels like how your eyes will adjust to light levels. So give earplugs more than 30seconds when you test them again.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Hearing loss in middle age is the single biggest risk factor for dementia

You do not want dementia

Wear loving earplugs

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Bruce Dickinson announced a solo album, I only just found out about this. He will even do a tour to promote it which is cool

Tyranny of souls was a good album but he didn't tour with it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Wachter posted:

Hearing loss in middle age is the single biggest risk factor for dementia

You do not want dementia

Wear loving earplugs

He already posts on Something Awful he's a lost cause on that front

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Killingyouguy! posted:

He already posts on Something Awful he's a lost cause on that front

who in their right mind joins a stupid dead forum in 2014 amirite

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mr. Pickles posted:

buh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Wear etymotics.

I hear live music clearer through them than without imo (helps that they cut some of the harsher / more distorted upper frequencies).