Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i'm a young buck in my 20s who hasn't gone to a show since pre-COVID but this has all reminded how rear end the ringing afterwards at every show was and i'm deffo gonna try for earplugs when i start going to em again since i'm not a fan of these horror stories from people ~20 years my senior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Mr. Pickles posted:

Bruce Dickinson announced a solo album, I only just found out about this. He will even do a tour to promote it which is cool

Tyranny of souls was a good album but he didn't tour with it.

gently caress yes gently caress yes gently caress yes gently caress yes

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

I have 20€ Alpine earplugs, also this is not a bit I will go and see a ear doctor about this

So I've been playing around with mine quite a bit (loud music, slapping the bass, cranking the television, even sleeping in them because they're comfy af) and the clarity has been pretty fantastic across the spectrum. If you're missing out on midrange and treble frequencies with these things in your hearing is well and truly hosed. Definitely see an audiologist, but probably don't expect good news. Sorry dude.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
A RING in my earses
the EEEEE never ceases
'cuz I didn't wear my
PLUGULA

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nordick posted:

A RING in my earses
the EEEEE never ceases
'cuz I didn't wear my
PLUGULA

Plugula doesn't sound like the kind of plugs that goes in your ears

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

You can put earplugs up your butt if you want I guess

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Gonna make my farts sound like Wynton Marsalis

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I hope your stupid loving rear end goes deaf

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

op probably now, but also later

https://youtu.be/SQF1u7KvB9w?si=P8xcAPujZXBaZ7GC

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Gonna make my farts sound like Wynton Marsalis

This probably isn't the best candidate for a new thread title, but goddamn if it isn't the most beautiful, evocative combination of words I've read all week.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I think at this point the thread isnt allowed to move beyond 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

theres honestly too much talk about metal music in the Nazi Earplug thread

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mr. Pickles posted:

OK So which is a good set of earplugs? Goons ITT have declared my earplugs to be good, which I don't find to be the case

I have 20€ Alpine earplugs, also this is not a bit I will go and see a ear doctor about this

I bought a pair of these for the festival I was at this past weekend. They worked well, I could hear people talking to me, and I was able to wear them for hours on end without being uncomfortable. They come with 3 different sizes of tips.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Killingyouguy! posted:

I think at this point the thread isnt allowed to move beyond 2021

if it's regressing though, in another 20 years or so it will get back to when all the vocals in metal weren't growly guttural stuff

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I wish I wore earplugs earlier the constant eeeeeeeee and occasional EEEEEEEEEE is annoying as gently caress

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Modal Auxiliary posted:

So I've been playing around with mine quite a bit (loud music, slapping the bass, cranking the television, even sleeping in them because they're comfy af) and the clarity has been pretty fantastic across the spectrum. If you're missing out on midrange and treble frequencies with these things in your hearing is well and truly hosed. Definitely see an audiologist, but probably don't expect good news. Sorry dude.

Its all good dawg, gently caress it. I can still pretty much hear everything that's happening and there's no constant ringing either so I don't see the big fuss. Imagine working a bartender job at a nightclub, these people (and 1000 other vocations too) are 100 times more hosed than me. Its all about perspective. You can't expect to go through life with 0 wear and tear

Appointment with deranged ear doctor lady is booked for next week

Btw, do you use the valves with the plugs? Today I will be at another show and I plan to put the plug into ear without any valves, like the other cheaper earplugs the goons linked

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 11, 2023

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

tbh i don't wear earplus i tend to just use my airpod pros at shows with noise cancelling enabled and then listen to Blind Guardian's 1998 masterpiece Nightfall in Middle-Earth instead

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

If it aint coming out of an airpod pro, it aint worth listening to.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Mr. Pickles posted:

Its all good dawg, gently caress it. I can still pretty much hear everything that's happening and there's no constant ringing either so I don't see the big fuss. Imagine working a bartender job at a nightclub, these people (and 1000 other vocations too) are 100 times more hosed than me. Its all about perspective. You can't expect to go through life with 0 wear and tear
rip your hearing. you're going to want to kill yourself for this attitude when you're in your mid 40's :toxx:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

"you can't go through life with zero wear and tear!" I say as I smash hammers directly into my skull

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah we're not invincible but we can do things to prevent it like buying $3 ear plugs. :cheeky:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

"wear some god drat earplugs"
______/

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've been spinning some King Diamond lately. It's very fitting for Halloween season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWBnbhW2oQk

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i went to see coheed and cambria with deafheaven this past weekend and was thinking about earplugs almost the entire time thanks to this thread. it didn't hurt my ears or anything but i've been sufficiently scared enough to have purchased a pair from amazon.

i got these alpine "partyplug pro" and only just tried them on at home. they fit alright but almost feel small enough that i could accidentally push them into my brain. too bad there's only one size(?) but maybe i just need to get used to it and if they were bigger they'd be uncomfortable.

they come with a pretty dinky soft carrying case with a comically large zipper. it's not built for aesthetics at all, but at least it has a mini hook to clip to my keys. if i'm gonna bother being a nerd and protect myself i would like one of those cool flashy earplug sleek cases you see advertised on social media, altho i assume the dinky ones are the more legit ones and the "cool" ones are less good? idfk i'll probably just buy another pair or a case on its own since i am obviously focusing on the wrong aspect of this whole endeavor.

anyone have experience with the ones i linked? i'll def bring them to the next show and prioritize hearing safety now that i'm getting old enough to not want be able to mosh anymore

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

lmao

edit: the second track on that Moonlight Sorcery album fuckin rips

https://moonlightsorcery.bandcamp.com/album/horned-lord-of-the-thorned-castle

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I guess my wording somehow implied that I'm invalidating what y'all are saying? This is not the case, I did book a doctor's appointment and I am totally getting appropriate plugs so at this point there's nothing more to do about this

Goon above said my hearing is already hosed to poo poo and there's nothing to do about it so I replied that I'm OK with some wear and tear, but I never meant to imply I'm gonna further punish my ears at Hansi concerts

Killingyouguy! posted:

"you can't go through life with zero wear and tear!" I say as I smash hammers directly into my skull

"Set your body ablaze" by Shai-Hulud was my creed when I was younger but I'm not on that train anymore. I just meant to say, what's done is done in terms of permanent damage, but we can still maintain what's left

But I do love you all, except for that one goon (yes, you)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

You’re good dude we just want you to take care of yourself and it seems like you are so cool! :)

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

Hot Diggity! posted:

I wish I wore earplugs earlier the constant eeeeeeeee and occasional EEEEEEEEEE is annoying as gently caress

Wear earplugs or Chris Barnes will live in ur head!!!

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
A new Amorphis live album popped up on my feed. I love these guys, and the live album sounds great. But, they did that thing where it comes from the soundboard or whatever, and you don't hear any of the crowd cheering. For me, live albums that include the raw sounds from the show make it feel way more immersive and energetic. They might as well be playing live in a studio.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

henpod posted:

A new Amorphis live album popped up on my feed. I love these guys, and the live album sounds great. But, they did that thing where it comes from the soundboard or whatever, and you don't hear any of the crowd cheering. For me, live albums that include the raw sounds from the show make it feel way more immersive and energetic. They might as well be playing live in a studio.

The opening track was just uploaded to Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0cMhyCntxE

The crowd noise is likely pretty true to life, since it appears that they played this gig to an audience of 0.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Going to see these PEELINGFLESH in nine days and I will wear my earplugs but also hope that I can spinkick like an rear end in a top hat with some people like this Hate56 set but it's a small club so probably like.. who knows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whAxoiKzXww

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Skjorte posted:

The opening track was just uploaded to Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0cMhyCntxE

The crowd noise is likely pretty true to life, since it appears that they played this gig to an audience of 0.

Oh, fair enough then. Also, The Bee is a hell of a tune.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Omnikin posted:

Going to see these PEELINGFLESH in nine days and I will wear my earplugs but also hope that I can spinkick like an rear end in a top hat with some people like this Hate56 set but it's a small club so probably like.. who knows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whAxoiKzXww

You can definitely still get rowdy with earplugs in, the only thing it will stop you from doing is loving up your ears

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Full of Hell and Nothing released a track off their upcoming collaborative album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx3LtWckbks

It's gonna own

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
New Sonata Arctica from my husband Tony! https://youtu.be/oVCXqTZ19Kk?si=ud7yy5SrM6XVAxRd
I have loved every era of this band and this is a pleasant call back to their older style.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

New music Friday time
Theocracy on non-BC, pm
Krieg, bm
Stortegn, melodic blackened death
On Thorns I Lay, death doom
Mānbryne, meloblack
Dead and Dripping / Prophecy of Suffering split, brutal death / tech death
Slidhr, bm
Varg, bm
Sulphur Aeon, melodic blackened death
Avenade, alt metal
Body Void, sludgy doom
A Mourning Star on non-BC, melodeath
Kaunis Kuolematon, melodic death doom
Voidescent, bm
Seraphic Entombment, death doom
Missing Kids, stoner doom
Taubra, bm
Mors Subita on non-BC, melodeath
The Voynich Code, progressive dxc
Aiwass, stoner
Blessed Curse, thrash
Akouphenom, avant-garde blackened death
Gévaudan, doom
Arborescence of Wrath, brutal dxc
Malformed, dm
Catafalque, industrial, doom
Felonie, bm
Biledriver, punky sludge
Negative Reaction, sludge

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Been looking forward to that Seraphic Entombment for a while

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

lmao biledriver what a name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Nazzadan posted:

New music Friday time

Stortegn, melodic blackened death

This loving rips, holy poo poo. Absolute must-listen if you're into proggy song structures, fat as hell bass tones, and constant genre-bending.

Sincere thanks to Nazz for always bringing the goods. Every weekend my partner and I put on headphones and go through your list together and it legit enriches our lives. You're the loving best. :glomp: