Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

In The Loop (2009)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Dr. Strangelove

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I like Wag the Dog alot. It may be satire in the 2010s, but its just realism in 2020s.

I will check out the other shows and movies. I can't take too much Brits taking piss at each other though, I can only take a small dose at a time.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 16:38 on Oct 10, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mostly Lurking posted:

Do the nazis in Ukraine give a poo poo about Israel even in a "know where your bread is buttered" sense?

Azov sent a delegation to little Israel late last year.

https://m.jpost.com/international/article-725351

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

mayor (2020) is equal parts sad and hilarious

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://t.me/rybar/53068

Rybar is reporting that the Russian Army has been advancing these last few days in the east.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

So this Madam Secretary show, basically a campaign for Hilary, actually has half way realistic geopolitic scenario but tell through the extreme liberal wish fulfillment Disney lens?

What other TV shows have slightly more realistic geopilitic plotline? I know a lot of other countries tv industries won't even touch this subject.

Servant of the people

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

With the start of a new Russian offensive, a small one.

Think we can say that the Ukrainian one is over, and secondly Russia isn't going to wait for Trump or some budget snafu if it's presented with an opportunity.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

poor ukraine, bumped from the headlines :(

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

absolutely hilarious that the fall of kiev will be on page 5, and probably the bottom half too

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Please do the exact opposite of this tia

so you want this to be the thread about everything...except ukraine???

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

genericnick posted:

There's a Europe thread already though

russians arent white do i need to get out the calipers in order to explain this

jurys still out on ukraine theyre at least honorary white if they win the war i think which to be clear i hope they do since we need a big win against the nazis right now

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Truga posted:

dark lol that the policy is for taiwan getting the gaza treatment if they start thinking too hard

I don't think China is going to reduce Taiwan to rubble and genocide the people who live there

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Nix Panicus posted:

I don't think China is going to reduce Taiwan to rubble and genocide the people who live there

China wouldn't...

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't think the new war has any winner but the clear loser is Kyiv. Also 2nd loser is Biden's reelection office. He got to pray ME doesn't impose any new oil sanction over this war, the US strategic oil reserve has been used already.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
There has been reports that Russia has "activated" everywhere across the line, is in the process of pushing back and erasing the meager gains Ukraine had made over the last 4 months, and is supposedly really hammering Avdiivka north of Donetsk city (the next Bakhmut I guess). My feeling is that the expert analysis that the purpose of this front-wide surge in activity is simply to run the Ukrainian defenders thin and oppurtunistically pick up territory as Ukraine is forced to fall back, rather than any real push for an offensive in the sense that Ukraine was aiming for against Melitipol.

All this is to say, prepare for updates measured in yards and strongpoints overcome over the next month rather than anything game-changing.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

did they extrapolate how the special forces won it or was it a “we killed the general and they all ran off like lost puppies”

the closest they get to an explanation is that mariupol was supposed to be a sneak attack because donetsk and luhansk were other more logical targets but thanks to the spy the ukrainian army knew they had to beef up their defenses in mariupol it occurs to me based on the real world ukraine war that this plot makes sense if you assume that everyone in ukraine loves being in ukraine and russias just making up stories about ethnic russians in donetsk and luhank being scared of getting genocided since russias actual plan is to devour the whole country and create the new and improved non communist soviet union

interestingly despite this decisive victory at mariupol in the imaginary war noone seems to have any confidence that ukraine could actually win if russia starts taking things seriously and uses their legendary human wave tactics madame secretary is doing this weird thing where the plot is acting like the situation is being escalated but the dialog is acting as if the russians have been acting on an eleven out of ten on the warmongering aggression scale at every individual part of the story

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nix Panicus posted:

china definitely not

otoh, US people openly said they'd bomb taiwan infrastructure to smithereens if there was a chance the PLA was be able to land on the island lmao

also green man asking for ammo for over a year and constantly getting a "maybe in next quarter"
meanwhile a bit further south...
https://twitter.com/bpolitics/status/1711790170817663319

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Starsfan posted:

There has been reports that Russia has "activated" everywhere across the line, is in the process of pushing back and erasing the meager gains Ukraine had made over the last 4 months, and is supposedly really hammering Avdiivka north of Donetsk city (the next Bakhmut I guess). My feeling is that the expert analysis that the purpose of this front-wide surge in activity is simply to run the Ukrainian defenders thin and oppurtunistically pick up territory as Ukraine is forced to fall back, rather than any real push for an offensive in the sense that Ukraine was aiming for against Melitipol.

All this is to say, prepare for updates measured in yards and strongpoints overcome over the next month rather than anything game-changing.

I agree with this, it's not an attempt to grab chunks of territory, it's pressure maneuvers to force the AFU to commit reserve to defense. Basically not allowing them a chance to reconstitute. They may or may not pick up some territory - if they do it'll be limited to reversing Ukraine's gains from its definitely-not-over-yet offensive or to push the AFU garrisons near and at Kupyansk over the Oskil river.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Artyomovks was the new Avdeevka.

The fighting around it has been going since the start of the war because it's the closest to Donetsk and still under Ukrainian control.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
see what wearing a suit got bibi

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Donrf posted:

Meanwhile, while we are following Ukraine and Israel, there are more than a dozen general resignations in Poland. Moreover, among the retirees, the head of the General Staff and the operational commander of the Polish Army. With the coming election, so to speak. The army has its own position there. Not always coinciding with the position of politicians #summaries

@donrf22
(from t.me/donrf22/29789, via tgsa)
https://twitter.com/POLITICOEurope/status/1711721065217442100

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wonder if this is because they disagreed with the decision to annex western Ukraine or if they disagreed with the decision not to annex western Ukraine

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Slavvy posted:

Wonder if this is because they disagreed with the decision to annex western Ukraine or if they disagreed with the decision not to annex western Ukraine

how many polish generals does it take to change a lightbulb in Ukraine?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rybar was mentioning it was because apparently they failed to properly track some rocket that landed in poland that apparently russia shot but who knows

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

stephenthinkpad posted:

So this Madam Secretary show, basically a campaign for Hilary, actually has half way realistic geopolitic scenario but tell through the extreme liberal wish fulfillment Disney lens?

What other TV shows have slightly more realistic geopilitic plotline? I know a lot of other countries tv industries won't even touch this subject.

watch fox news every day

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

So is Robotyne liberated or unliberated now?

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Nix Panicus posted:

So is Robotyne liberated or unliberated now?

It's empty land, doesn't even exist anymore

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

La Louve Rouge posted:

see what wearing a suit got bibi

lol

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Rheinmetall receives a further order for artillery shells: third call-off from framework agreement

quote:

Rheinmetall has booked a further order for artillery ammunition under a framework agreement with the German Bundeswehr. The third call-off, it encompasses the delivery of over a hundred thousand 155mm shells from the Group’s new Spanish subsidiary Rheinmetall Expal Munitions as well as additional DM 121 high-explosive rounds. Although the customer is the German government, all the ammunition is earmarked for Ukraine. The order is worth a figure in the mid-three-digit million-euro range. Tens of thousands of rounds are to be delivered in 2023, with the reminder due to ship in 2024.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VoicesCanBe posted:

It's empty land, doesn't even exist anymore

So liberated

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

So by the end of 2024 they will have shipped a two week shell supply. Truly the might of western material output is awe inspiring.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Two whole days of shells, wow!!

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

The most optimistic numbers for tis is 500 Euro per shell if :

"Over a hundred thousand" = 200 000
"Three digit millions Euro" = 100 000 000

It's probably less shells for more money tho.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I wonder what Ukraine is gonna do in the next few days to try and get people to pay attention to them again.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thoguh posted:

I wonder what Ukraine is gonna do in the next few days to try and get people to pay attention to them again.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

Nuclear. Power. Station.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

OctaMurk posted:

yes minister

yeah old british show are pretty good at this. see: a very british coup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

crepeface posted:

The Ghosted of Kiev