Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Front Mission 2's English translation is probably the worst translation Square-Enix, or Squaresoft, or Enix, has ever released. I'm honestly shocked. I thought that after the wonderful translations that even mid-budget games like RS3 and Scarlet Grace received, we were past the days of low-effort translations for good.

Fortunately Lords of the Fallen comes out this week! I don't know if Soulslikes are on-topic exactly, but I'm hyped for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tequila Bob posted:

Front Mission 2's English translation is probably the worst translation Square-Enix, or Squaresoft, or Enix, has ever released. I'm honestly shocked. I thought that after the wonderful translations that even mid-budget games like RS3 and Scarlet Grace received, we were past the days of low-effort translations for good.

Fortunately Lords of the Fallen comes out this week! I don't know if Soulslikes are on-topic exactly, but I'm hyped for it.

Unfortunately I suspect machine translations are going to become more common in the future with so many companies hopping on the AI bandwagon. Translators have already talked about how companies are arguing that it is cheaper to machine translate and then pay a translator to 'fix' the errors than to do an actual translation and even if S-E eats poo poo for FM2, it's probably still going to start showing up.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’m extremely interested to see how Lords of the Fallen shakes out after how absolutely tepid the 2014 one was.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tequila Bob posted:

You must have missed this

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

fridge corn posted:

I've been playing Scarlet Nexus and I'm maybe halfway through one of the characters playthroughs and I think I'm gonna call it quits. Shame cuz at the start it seemed like it had a lot of potential and is a fairly good looking game if even the environments are a bit bland. But the combat is starting to feel repetitive and the lack of mobility options is kinda frustrating. The characters are all sort of blah blah whatever and the story although I'm mildly interested in what it's doing it's not enough to drag the rest of the game with it.

I stated with the guy’s route and every time I got the Cliff’s Notes on the poo poo that went down on the girl’s route, I felt like I picked the wrong starting character

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it bears noting that the reason front mission 2's tl is as bad as it is is likely because square enix has distanced themselves as hard as possible from the front mission remakes. they're not developing them, they're not publishing them, their name isn't even listed anywhere on anything relating to them. so this isn't a case of square enix using machine translation so much as, square enix likely getting approached with an offer to remake front mission and telling the studio they have carte blanche as long as se doesn't have to spend a single cent on it. it's not indicative of any shift in how square enix internally views translation, it's just the whole production being kind of throwaway for them

ai portopia was very funny thoguh i want to know what exec's bullshit resulted in that cause i'm pretty sure it came out when they were in a very open period of internal turmoil and their prior ceo was spending every interview talking about nft and blockchain projects that have not actually appeared in any significant form

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what was the chaos within se that led to them releasing a terrible battle pass-centric chocobo racing sequel, and then a year out after realizing nobody was going to buy a battle pass-focused chocobo racing game, removing the battle pass and patching it into a normal mediocre racing game while not really telling anyone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Unfortunately I suspect machine translations are going to become more common in the future with so many companies hopping on the AI bandwagon. Translators have already talked about how companies are arguing that it is cheaper to machine translate and then pay a translator to 'fix' the errors than to do an actual translation and even if S-E eats poo poo for FM2, it's probably still going to start showing up.
im sure itll happen some but i doubt square enix is going to pivot entirely to machine translation anytime soon lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Minor thing but thinking about Casette Beasts. I like how at least with the Meredith romance there's some extra dialogue if you play a girl. I don't particularly mind "the entire cast is bisexual" in games but IME it usually just leads to the romances being 1:1 copy pasted. So having some text acknowledging it is nice. I assume it's the same for the others, but cool either way.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Endorph posted:

tbh even 20 seconds sounds like way too long for an unskippable attack in an rpg.

Not only an unskippable attack, an unskippable attack you use constantly against normal encounters. It's like if SMRPG was balanced around you doing 20 super jump bounces on a normal enemy to do half their life in damage.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
the portopia thing is really funny because they couldn't get the ai thing to not potentially sling slurs so they stripped it out and replaced it with a worse interpreter than even the worst doldrums of sierra managed and still shipped it with the ai name

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it was also generally comical because like. the thing that made portopia famous was explicitly not its text parser. putting a parser back in mostly just serves to show how little this tech has come along vs the simple interaction menu everyone played famicom portopia for. portopia is like, the example, of how sacrificing something that was arguably more ambitious and had more potential to it, worked to the benefit of making the game less fiddly and more focused on its core ideas. there's a reason you did not see japanese detective adventure games past portopia going back to parsers, even on computers after a point, the menu-based interface basically took over industry-wide cause it was so much easier to deal with and design around

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 10, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Minor thing but thinking about Casette Beasts. I like how at least with the Meredith romance there's some extra dialogue if you play a girl. I don't particularly mind "the entire cast is bisexual" in games but IME it usually just leads to the romances being 1:1 copy pasted. So having some text acknowledging it is nice. I assume it's the same for the others, but cool either way.

Meredith in general ended up a better character than I expected

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

yeah it really stripped anything of value the original had out of it and as you say because of dropping back to a parser it straight up fails as even a time capsule of such an important game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope more of the early generations of japanese detective game get properly tled some day cause the history around that stuff is actually kinda wild. has a similar kind of inter-genre conversation with itself as you'd see in western point & click adventures, but i feel like in the west we've had such scattered exposure to it. i think the earliest exposure we ever got to it was like... snatcher? and we only got that in the form of a remake a good few years later. we got jinguuji saburou/jake hunter way too late and in way too mangled a localization for it to really register how big of a figure he is in his home turf, and i feel like a lot of the specific jokes about the genre in a game like the silver case went way over peoples' heads. which is funny since the whole silver case trilogy's original slated english release would've been the perfect context, in the booming mystery game space of the ds, but then all we got there was flower sun and rain, a game built off context for uh, the silver case, that nobody had, so basically we got the punchline of that one before the setup.

i got through the third and fourth jinguuji saburou games one after the other a while back and loved them, they're genuinely really fun rides and the fourth has some of the coolest aesthetics i've ever seen from a famicom game on top of just being a cool, more low-key adventure solely focused around the troubles of a small family. i wanna get back to the fifth one at some point cause it's a really interesting game for how big its change in writer and consequent change in tone is, but it was cool seeing a sega saturn detective game that generally is focused around japanese xenophobia towards foreigners and oppression of the homeless. wouldn't say it's, Woke, but, it's coming at pretty heavy issues from a pretty empathetic and human angle in a way i didn't expect. like yakuza 7 but written in 1996

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 10, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Meredith in general ended up a better character than I expected

I liked all the cast for the most part, but she ended up being my fav. Felix had the best substory though.

e: was also very surprised Sunny wasn't a party member.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
In the Crying RPG sector: https://www.rpgfan.com/review/long-gone-days/

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MechaX posted:

I stated with the guy’s route and every time I got the Cliff’s Notes on the poo poo that went down on the girl’s route, I felt like I picked the wrong starting character

there doesn't really need to be different routes. the story doesn't change depending on who you are playing, you find out what happened during the other route, about 2/3 of the way through the parties merge, and there's only one ending. there's not even really new game+ features to make replaying it as the other protagonist worthwhile.

it's just such a pointless feature that the game never does a single thing with.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh yeah i vaguely remember long gone days, lol its finally out i feel like that has been around for like 8 years, i think that is in one of those itch.io bundles i had

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Whaaat is this?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DND alignment chart starting to seem better in hindsight everyday.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

bewilderment posted:

Whaaat is this?

https://www.rpgsite.net/preview/14957-broken-roads-preview-its-about-time-we-get-an-rpg-set-in-the-outback

Australian retro fallout style game, comes out in about a month.

BTW, anyone see interesting RPGs in the current crop of Steam Next demos?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Morpheus posted:

Your point was a blatant exaggeration and you got called on it. Moonerang takes more time the better you are at it, it does more damage and the fight ends quicker as a result, but even if you 150+ hits somehow you'll take about a minute and do a poo poo ton of damage.

Enemies don't even respawn unless you go back to the world map so you don't even need to worry about repeating battles.

I do find the fact that you don't recover health/mp after combat kind of pointless. You can almost always return to a campfire immediately so it's really a question of how much extra time you want to take vs just munching down some food if you really need to.

Knights of the round takes 75 seconds. Boomerang can take 42 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exy_KEmMkvw

At least knights of the round loving ends combat.

I cannot imagine defending sea of stars combat as hard as you are when it is so unbelievably bad.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

avoraciopoctules posted:

https://www.rpgsite.net/preview/14957-broken-roads-preview-its-about-time-we-get-an-rpg-set-in-the-outback

Australian retro fallout style game, comes out in about a month.

BTW, anyone see interesting RPGs in the current crop of Steam Next demos?

they should cross market with dinkum

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
normally i would have downloaded a bunch of demos seeing if there was anything worht playing in the srpg space but i am too sleepy zzz
someone do this for me

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Benson Cunningham posted:

Knights of the round takes 75 seconds. Boomerang can take 42 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exy_KEmMkvw

At least knights of the round loving ends combat.

I cannot imagine defending sea of stars combat as hard as you are when it is so unbelievably bad.

Are you presenting that video as a typical example of how Sea of Stars combat usually goes? The comments suggest that this is actually an exceptional performance - and consequently would not be how the game usually goes.

(I haven't played Sea of Stars, but I liked The Messenger so I'm probably gonna try it sometime.)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tequila Bob posted:

dark souls games are action RPGs, therefore the soulslike genre is valid to discuss here

Lies of P is really loving good, by the way.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The mid world load screens happen on PC too, it's goofy.

From investigating you can basically outpace the map loading by spriting which is a bit lol. Also some mentions of massive lag when using 2 attacks and on the final boss.

It's mostly the game does seem like a fun Pokemon-like and the music I heard bops. Can you influence the battle music with your beasts, since, you know, you use cassettes? That would be sick.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know it says something that the Zero Punctuation guy, who is famous for being mad at games online, enjoyed the game more than some of you.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I would like Sea of Stars combat more if characters got more than four moves each. The core system is fun, but the only complexity comes from figuring out how to break locks on attacks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

You know it says something that the Zero Punctuation guy, who is famous for being mad at games online, enjoyed the game more than some of you.

The Zero Punctuation guy doesn't actually hold opinions, he just says whatever gets him views, so that isn't surprising.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

From investigating you can basically outpace the map loading by spriting which is a bit lol. Also some mentions of massive lag when using 2 attacks and on the final boss.

It's mostly the game does seem like a fun Pokemon-like and the music I heard bops. Can you influence the battle music with your beasts, since, you know, you use cassettes? That would be sick.

Nah sadly. Would have been a sick idea though. Music just goes lyrical if you fuse/instrumental if you aren't.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Junpei posted:

i pride myself on being a white noise poster. i work harder at it than anyone. but this just goes to show you can't beat the naturally talented.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Nah sadly. Would have been a sick idea though. Music just goes lyrical if you fuse/instrumental if you aren't.

okay that does sound cool

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Tequila Bob posted:

Are you presenting that video as a typical example of how Sea of Stars combat usually goes? The comments suggest that this is actually an exceptional performance - and consequently would not be how the game usually goes.

(I haven't played Sea of Stars, but I liked The Messenger so I'm probably gonna try it sometime.)

I think the demo is still up. Highly recommend you play it if you care about the pace of combat in the game. It's terrible.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Tequila Bob posted:

The devs are confident enough to put Fallen copies in streamers hands ahead of reviews so it'll probably be at least an improvement over the previous release

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Junpei posted:

who gives a poo poo

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm pretty optimistic about the Lords of the Fallen reboot. The Surge games improved on the mechanics hugely and the living realm/dead realm gimmick taps into some Soul Reaver poo poo that really appeals to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Crowetron posted:

I'm pretty optimistic about the Lords of the Fallen reboot. The Surge games improved on the mechanics hugely and the living realm/dead realm gimmick taps into some Soul Reaver poo poo that really appeals to me.

Deck13 aren't making the new one