Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

The Oldest Man posted:

My wife is really family orientated, she hasn't seen a lot of her aunts and uncles in a long time, and being told in no uncertain terms to go gently caress herself by her closest family is already sending her sliding back toward the maw of clinical depression

I'm sorry for you and your wife. I've lost people I was close to over them being Done. With. Covid. and it has loving sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shady Amish Terror posted:

christ

Condolences, this poo poo sucks.

I'm not accusing this of being a SYQ because it's not entirely wrong, parts of this are true, but I think it's REALLY missing the broader picture, like the Biden admin chaos dunking every last mitigation the nano-instant it was convenient to do so (and it also misses Trump touting both antibody treatments and the vaccine, primarily because it would be a feather in his cap, or almost accidentally implementing good social programs like unlimited school lunch funds and a pseudo-UBI, which of course were then dumpstered along with mask mandates, and free vaccines, and testing, and reporting, and-). Like, yes, obviously, Trump appealing to reactionaries and being an aspiring fascist is quite bad, but the entire system sucks poo poo and the direction of these issues has been Quite Bad even disregarding Trump. Antivax sentiment was growing as a weird thing bougie white democrats did before the Trump era started appealing to all the Q-Anon types, and America's perennial obsession with fascism got Trump elected, not the other way around; he's more a symptom than a cause.

yeah my statement was too conclusory

but those two aspects I mentioned are def part of it

Griz
May 21, 2001

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I have slept in an Aura, as have three family members. It was a total non-event. Brisk walking in 90+ degree heat in one, though, sucked a lot.

Auras are quite comfortable but the ones without the exhale valve do get a bit damp if it's humid outside

if I had to wear a mask for more than like 2 hours I'd break out the elastomeric half-mask again, I wore that for the first summer and it didn't hurt my head/ears or get nasty inside. also way more tolerant of not shaving than Auras.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4246422-frustration-grows-amid-struggle-to-roll-out-new-rsv-covid-shots-for-children/ posted:

Frustration grows amid struggle to roll out new RSV, COVID shots for children

Insurance barriers and distribution challenges are marring the rollout of highly anticipated new shots to protect babies from respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) and young kids from COVID-19, drawing anger and frustration from parents and pediatricians.

Medical practices don’t know when, or how much, they will get paid for the pricey RSV shot, and they are struggling to find workarounds.

For the updated COVID-19 vaccine, parents are finding availability is scattered, despite it being approved nearly a month ago.

The vaccines come in different packaging and different dose sizes depending on the brand, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) only recently said it’s OK to mix and match brands for young kids.

Some pharmacies also have age cutoffs, meaning a visit to a pediatrician is the only way to get a young child vaccinated.
(..)
This year “should be a respiratory virus season where we have more protection than we’ve ever had,” said Sallie Permar, chairwoman of the department of pediatrics at Weill Cornell Medicine and New York-Presbyterian Hospital.

But instead, “it is like a puzzle that we all have to solve on how to get it not only for ourselves, but also for our children. And those processes don’t often overlap,” Permar said.
(..)
The new shot for RSV is causing even more headaches.

For years, there have been no drugs that can prevent RSV, a lower respiratory tract disease that’s a leading cause of hospitalization in young children. RSV leads to about 58,000 to 80,000 hospitalizations and 100 to 300 deaths per year in children under 5 years old, most of them infants, according to the CDC.

Sanofi’s Beyfortus was approved in August. It’s a monoclonal antibody called nirsevimab, rather than a traditional vaccine, meaning babies will be able to directly receive antibodies to prevent severe RSV disease, rather than prompting the immune system to develop them. It cuts the risk of hospitalizations in infants by about 80 percent and was hailed as a game changer.

But the drug costs $495 per dose in the private sector, and according to pediatricians, it’s unclear if insurance companies will reimburse them for buying and administering it.

“Pediatricians generally are nice people who want to do the right thing. But if doing the right thing costs them a significant amount of money that they’re gonna lose and never get back, it may not be worth making the upfront investment,” said Suzanne Berman, a pediatrician in Tennessee.

Hospital systems are also struggling to figure out which insurance companies will reimburse for Beyfortus and when the coverage will start. The Affordable Care Act requires insurance companies to cover drugs like Beyfortus for free. But insurers have up to a year to add new products to their plans.
(..)
“You need to understand if it’s going to be reimbursed, are insurance companies requiring prior authorizations. You need to know how to counsel families. Does their insurance company cover that or not? What are their options if their insurance company doesn’t cover it? And so this takes time,” Bryant said.

But time is a luxury that children don’t necessarily have.
(..)

:capitalism:

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Shiroc posted:

I'm sorry for you and your wife. I've lost people I was close to over them being Done. With. Covid. and it has loving sucked.

Yah this poo poo sucks.

I didn't go to my mom's funeral because in my mind all her loving trumper friends basically killed her. I couldn't get her to get any booster shots, and covid got her earlier this year. I couldn't imagine sitting in a room with them, and then being supposed to stand there and shake their hands and listen to their bullshit-rear end platitudes about her being in a better place now. I *think* my immediate family was kinda understanding, but yah....

Lot of therapy needed for everyone, gently caress.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

It cuts the risk of hospitalizations in infants by about 80 percent and was hailed as a game changer.

But the drug costs $495 per dose in the private sector, and according to pediatricians, it’s unclear if insurance companies will reimburse them for buying and administering it.

loving incredible, perfect, no notes, ship it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shiroc posted:

Can confirm, it's loving lovely.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Oldest Man posted:

Anyway we're disinvited from the entire event now, because "anyone who is worried about their health shouldn't come at all"

what the gently caress man :(

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

hailthefish posted:

lmao

wearing an n95 for hours at a time while engaged in physical activity does, unquestionably, suck absolute rear end but it's not like, impossible or traumatizing or anything, it just fuckin sucks. like I'm a big fat out of shape goon with commensurate cardiovascular and respiratory health and managed just fine lmao

THE WHOLE IDEA BEHIND N95 MASKS IS THAT THEY ARE MADE FOR USE IN PHYSICAL LABOR JOBS.

Yeah, it sucks compared to not using a mask. But not breathing in fiberglass, metal dust, wood particles, virus particles, or any of the other particle hazards encountered in workplaces is literally the reason that the standard exists.

I wear an aura for 9+ hours a day in a warehouse manufacturing job, so I really don't have any sympathy for someone who can't deal with making for 20 minutes in a grocery store.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Pillowpants posted:

Here we are two weeks later.

They told her last week she would need to get her gallbladder removed when she get stronger.

Sunday she spikes fever again and meds aren’t working so she goes to the ER and gets admitted and told they will be doing emergency surgery because the 5cm gallstone is wedged in the neck of her galbladder…

and then they drug her up and leave her on a stretcher unmasked in a hallway for 10 hours before telling her they’re discharging her because she’s not strong enough - and she takes an Uber home because they hospital is an hour away and her hubby thought she was staying overnight.

Ugh, what a nightmare. I hope things start going better for you and your mom. This society and its institutions are just broken.

The Oldest Man posted:

Anyway we're disinvited from the entire event now, because "anyone who is worried about their health shouldn't come at all" and she's "done hearing about covid."

I'm really sorry you two are dealing with this. It's so depressing what the last 3.5 years have revealed about / done to our family members.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

jetz0r posted:

THE WHOLE IDEA BEHIND N95 MASKS IS THAT THEY ARE MADE FOR USE IN PHYSICAL LABOR JOBS.

Yep. There's no excuse for not wearing an N95 or elastomeric other than "I don't feel like it."

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Lockdown status?

https://www.axios.com/2023/10/10/restaurant-employment-is-back-to-pre-covid-levels posted:

Restaurant employment is back to pre-COVID levels
Restaurant employment is back to pre-COVID levels

The restaurant industry is back — sort of.

Driving the news: Employment levels in food services and bars finally crept past February 2020 levels, according to the latest jobs report.
  • Yes, but: That's below the pre-pandemic trend. Were it not for the pandemic, employment would be more than 1 million higher, explains Julia Pollak, chief economist at ZipRecruiter.
(..)
... still in effect.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Yep. There's no excuse for not wearing an N95 or elastomeric other than "I don't feel like it."

I dont feel like wearing my welding mask, its too hot and heavy.

later:

gently caress HOW THE gently caress AM I BLIND??? THIS IS BULLSHIT

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Oh gently caress noooo god drat it

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/feature-story/highly-pathogenic-avian-influenza-found-seals-marrowstone-island-puget-sound

quote:

Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Found in Seals on Marrowstone Island in Puget Sound

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

silicone thrills posted:

later:

gently caress HOW THE gently caress AM I BLIND??? THIS IS BULLSHIT

Like wearing a welding mask when you're welding, wearing a mask designed for biohazard conditions in biohazard conditions is mental illness.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

silicone thrills posted:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

that place always felt like it was going to be in the opening scene of an apocalyptic movie of some kind tbf

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Like, it's right next to the Indian Island nuclear arsenal. You can see the crane they use for moving the nuclear warheads.

e: ok i lied, you only see the crane while driving to Marrowstone Island, not once you're actually on the island.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Griz posted:

Auras are quite comfortable but the ones without the exhale valve do get a bit damp if it's humid outside

I always regret when I forget to swap to a vented aura for working in the greenhouse. I still don't understand how a 9211+ is just ever so slightly smaller than a 9210+ to give me a massive headache only after two hours. I can wear a 9210+ pretty comfortably for a whole 8 hour workday, unless there are like massive air pressure/weather changes that give me headaches anyway.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Zantie posted:

I always regret when I forget to swap to a vented aura for working in the greenhouse. I still don't understand how a 9211+ is just ever so slightly smaller than a 9210+ to give me a massive headache only after two hours. I can wear a 9210+ pretty comfortably for a whole 8 hour workday, unless there are like massive air pressure/weather changes that give me headaches anyway.

I think it’s more the straps are slightly shorter and tighter which is what does it, at least for me.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Fansy posted:

People who’ve had Covid at least 5 times describe how the illness changed with each reinfection

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/covid-5-times-people-describe-illnesses-rcna118132

It's really bugging the gently caress out of me the way people define mildness.

Emily, a 36-year-old singer in Brooklyn who asked that her last name be withheld to maintain her privacy, said all five of her infections were relatively mild.
Emily’s third infection in May 2022 — six months after her booster shot — was the worst, she said.
“This was more of a body ache, feverish feeling,” she said. “I felt laid out for about a week.”

Being laid out for a week isn't relatively mild. If you fell off a bicycle, got tapped by a car, or had food poisoning and were essentially laid out for a week you wouldn't call it "relatively mild."

Maybe in the geriatric sense of "grandma had a mild fall at home so we called an ambulance" but the person in this story is 36

LentThem has issued a correction as of 00:43 on Oct 11, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

LentThem posted:

It's really bugging the gently caress out of me the way people define mildness.

Emily, a 36-year-old singer in Brooklyn who asked that her last name be withheld to maintain her privacy, said all five of her infections were relatively mild.
Emily’s third infection in May 2022 — six months after her booster shot — was the worst, she said.
“This was more of a body ache, feverish feeling,” she said. “I felt laid out for about a week.”

Being laid out for a week isn't relatively mild. If you fell off a bicycle, got tapped by a car, or had food poisoning and were essentially laid out for a week you wouldn't call it "relatively mild."

Maybe in the geriatric sense of "grandma had a mild fall at home so we called an ambulance" but the person in this story is 36

well yeah that's why we needed a loving army of internet scolds to push their glasses up and tell everyone that "mild" means "not emergently hospitalized" so people wouldn't get any big ideas that being crushed by illness for weeks with an o2 sat floating around 90 and a 102 fever isn't mild

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I mean I'm probably last one to the party here but I finally picked up an Aranet4 and I feel like ~900ppm resting in my house isn't amazing.

But at the same time, other than opening windows in the winter.... ? Installing a heat recovery air exchanger is a big ordeal, and my cat eats plants.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Oracle posted:

I think it’s more the straps are slightly shorter and tighter which is what does it, at least for me.

but whhhyyyy

surely it'd be cheaper to just use the same strap-sizing-cutting machine than one that's a few mm shorter

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Rescue Toaster posted:

I mean I'm probably last one to the party here but I finally picked up an Aranet4 and I feel like ~900ppm resting in my house isn't amazing.

But at the same time, other than opening windows in the winter.... ? Installing a heat recovery air exchanger is a big ordeal, and my cat eats plants.

biceps crimes posted:

welcome to neurotically opening and closing windows throughout the day

Seriously though if you have some windows on opposite ends of the house you can, if the air isn't too still outside, get a cross-breeze going. With a good cross breeze our apartment can go from >2,000 ppm to 500 ppm in about a half hour.

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Pointless venting ahead!

I went to the dentist this morning for some Invisalign poo poo. And of course, the HEPA purifiers in every exam room are unplugged for the 2nd visit in a row. They fired them up when I asked, but it's like the easiest mitigation imaginable, why fight it? Gah, it's like people want to be sick.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

My local supermarket has cut hours again. It used to be open 24/7 then a few years ago it started closing at midnight, then because of the pandemic it started closing at 11pm, then tonight when I dashed over there to buy a loaf of bread for my morning toast I found out too late that they now close at 10pm.
I tried the local 7-11 and the 24hr gas station which has a store attached but it turns out they don't sell loaves of bread any more, even though they definitely used to.

Frankly, I miss 24-hour shopping more than I do eating in restaurants. I used to run out in the middle of the night for stuff all the time; now I can't count the times I've been out of something, went to grab my keys, and realized it was 11:30.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Jort Fortress posted:

Pointless venting ahead!

I went to the dentist this morning for some Invisalign poo poo. And of course, the HEPA purifiers in every exam room are unplugged for the 2nd visit in a row. They fired them up when I asked, but it's like the easiest mitigation imaginable, why fight it? Gah, it's like people want to be sick.

:qq: i can't hear my patients
:qq: those filters are expensive

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Jort Fortress posted:

Pointless venting ahead!

If they turn on the fan, that means that there's something to worry about. If there's something to worry about, that has a cascading set of unpleasant implications. If they don't feel like they're in imminent danger, their desire for mental comfort will easily win out over a lucid but undesirable understanding of reality.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Even if covid went away, I'd continue to run my air purifiers all the time because gently caress dust.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/amal4solutions/status/1711839825286877490?s=46

Aranets for $158

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I am glad they are testing it (NIH is also setting up a study), but I am not sure this is the best group to test the hypothesis on.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/health-consumers/news/major-swedish-study-to-search-for-long-covid-blind-spot/ posted:

Major Swedish study to search for long-COVID ‘blind spot’
According to the World Health Organisation Europe, some 36 million Europeans – or one in 30 – may have experienced the so-called long COVID so far. Now a major Swedish research study will try to determine if Pfizer’s anti-viral Paxlovid has any effect on patients suffering from long COVID.
(..)
Now the drug is being tested off-label in a trial at the Karolinska University Hospital, with 400 participants who have long COVID and “objectively measurable organ damages” after COVID infections, said Petter Brodin. Of the cohort, two-thirds are given the antiviral and one-third a placebo.

The hypothesis is that the Sars cov-2 virus is clinging onto body tissue, plasma and organs. Coronavirus has for example been found in brain tissue and glands.
(..)

Paxlovid can probably help knock out a perpetual infection, but it sure as poo poo isn't going to repair organ damage, so unless the organs are fully capable of regeneration, what exactly do they suppose will happen?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

I am glad they are testing it (NIH is also setting up a study), but I am not sure this is the best group to test the hypothesis on.

Paxlovid can probably help knock out a perpetual infection, but it sure as poo poo isn't going to repair organ damage, so unless the organs are fully capable of regeneration, what exactly do they suppose will happen?

A lot of organ damage from viral infections is persistent inflammation, which could subside (at least somewhat) if the virus is wiped out and provide symptom relief. Good study.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Pingui posted:

...what exactly do they suppose will happen?

Sell more pax.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

The Oldest Man posted:

being made to think about something you don't want to is violence

lol pretty much

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://komonews.com/news/local/bir...-noaa-fisheries

If this thing gets legs, fosborb needs to change the subtitle to simply 'BOHICA'.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Washington state's Monkeypox (Mpox) update.

pre:
Cumulative
Mpox	Total	Change
Cases	704	 -2
Hosp.	21	 -
pre:
Recent
Collection	Cases	Change
2023-09-24	2	+2
2023-09-17	4	+2
2023-09-10	1	-
pre:
Month Onset/	Older
Collection	Cases	Change
Summer '23	4	-
Spring '23	13	+1
Winter '22	37	+2
Fall '22	176	+29
Summer '22	466	+1
Spring '22	1	-
Incomplete	0	-39
WA State Mpox Dashboard

Looks like they hashed out those "Incomplete" cases. Seems like the majority were from about a year ago. Not gonna lie, I'm not thrilled that cases are going back up this year after a summer lull.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Jort Fortress posted:

Pointless venting ahead!

With how obsessed this thread is with CO2 levels, I don't think any kind of venting is pointless!

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

My wife and I are going to her sister's wedding in a month and there are a bunch of different receptions and parties afterward. My wife is going to one of these without me due to scheduling; it's an indoor event with over 200 people. She made the mistake of asking her sister if she had thought about setting up air purifiers in the venue since a) she's medically compromised and b) there are a lot of truly ancient family members who are going to be in attendance, and the room is going to be at fire capacity.

Anyway we're disinvited from the entire event now, because "anyone who is worried about their health shouldn't come at all" and she's "done hearing about covid."

Same woman who gushed that we saved her life in 2020 when we shipped her a box of n95s I had in my wildfire kit when she was living in Manhattan during the initial surge.

:centrism:

Sounds like a happy miss! Shame about not catching up with the other cooler family members.

Edit: caught up on the rest. What a poo poo situation.

BCR has issued a correction as of 07:32 on Oct 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

kazmeyer posted:

Frankly, I miss 24-hour shopping more than I do eating in restaurants. I used to run out in the middle of the night for stuff all the time; now I can't count the times I've been out of something, went to grab my keys, and realized it was 11:30.

Same here, I'm a total night owl and I often used to do my grocery shopping at 2am.