Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Ariong posted:

PLEASE give us more or at least a link. When one of the apes brings up Sears I feel like I just found a five dollar bill in my pocket.

https://old.reddit.com/r/ThePPShow/comments/174tzr7/sears_flying_us_soon_prepare_yourself_too_see/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

cruft posted:

My grandfather actually bought shares for me and my sister in the Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Circus, just before the deal was finalized for them to be acquired by (I think) Mattel. But he did that because he liked the artwork:

I had that damned stock cert hanging in my bedroom for years. Seeing it conjures some memories.

This is really cool. Coincidentally I currently live in Baraboo, Wisconsin where the Ringling Brothers spent their winters many years ago (and home of the Ringling Bros Circus World Museum).

It appears Sears has been rolled into a private shell corporation called "Transformco" that is currently being sued by Bangladeshi home appliance suppliers.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Extra Large Marge posted:

This is really cool. Coincidentally I currently live in Baraboo, Wisconsin where the Ringling Brothers spent their winters many years ago (and home of the Ringling Bros Circus World Museum).

It appears Sears has been rolled into a private shell corporation called "Transformco" that is currently being sued by Bangladeshi home appliance suppliers.

Just first part of the reverse merger.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I've actually seen some Sears buildings being turned into something other than Spirit Halloweens recently, so maybe whoever still owned that poo poo is finally starting to sell off the last bit of the corpse?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

They are doing this with the BBBYQ stock now too. It's a hilarious bug where trade platforms don't know how to show that a stock is valueless so it shows a crazy percent gain (relative to zero) on their position even though the value is unchanged.

These dopes have convinced themselves it means that their worthless shares were automatically exchanged for Teddy shares worth a bajillion dollars and it just hasn't updated all the way yet, if you ask them that's the only possible explanation.

When some of them point out that the broker told them it's a bug and their position is valueless they just get ignored (bonus points for them invoking maritime law):

reddit posted:

I just got off the phone with them. Per them its just a normal bankruptcy procedure. The word at Schwab is that its going to zero but its not for sure. That's funny why its showing increase and not decrease though.

a dumb guy posted:

Pure speculation, but I thin that Schwab was the broker that allowed the 200k Put options be written. Their on the hook for 20 million future shares in contract law. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Maritime Law lien on the company.

The writer of the future obligation interestingly becomes. creditor in the bankruptcy case as soon as the stock is cancelled.

I think Icahn wrote the puts, and put a poo poo ton of money in a bond to supports his case.

mega dy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 11, 2023

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Whenever I see someone invoke maritime law online, I get the urge to see them boarded by pirates.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Oh god, are they fusing with the Sovereign Citizens.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

mega dy posted:

I think Icahn wrote the puts, and put a poo poo ton of money in a bond to supports his case.

Its so great that a single selfie with Icahn has so thoroughly woven him in to the mythos.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

did anyone say buttstock yet

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
look those people with the ships have very big cannons of course they can make everyone follow their laws.

That's just how things work.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Did the bankruptcy papers have gold Fringe and we're they decided over in admiralty court? Didn't think so. Checkmate shillailures

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

My grandfather actually bought shares for me and my sister in the Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Circus, just before the deal was finalized for them to be acquired by (I think) Mattel. But he did that because he liked the artwork:

I had that damned stock cert hanging in my bedroom for years. Seeing it conjures some memories.

Doesn't this mean you own like 1% of Mattel now?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zathril posted:

Oh god, are they fusing with the Sovereign Citizens.

I'm honestly kind of surprised that it only seems to be popping up now, though that said, I don't exactly keep up on this stuff.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

They've been trending that way more and more, it's just now becoming blatant rather than sneaky. Citing obscure out of date laws and referencing laws that apply to entirely different systems as if they were applicable, etc. But now, now we've got straight up progress to "my stocks are travelling".

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Doesn't this mean you own like 1% of Mattel now?

It means I own 1% of the entire solar system. Y'all assholes better get to sucking up before my lambo arrives.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

cruft posted:

It means I own 1% of the entire solar system. Y'all assholes better get to sucking up before my lambo arrives.

Ha, I don't need you! I'm going to the moon!

Wait, do you own the part of the solar system that has the moon in it?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

cruft posted:

Which 1% though? Some bits are a lot more valuable than other bits.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

cruft posted:

LOL, I'm posting from the Sirius solar system -the best solar system-, you're partial owner of that clunka of a solar system means nothing to me!

What sort of lame rear end solar systems have only one sun!!!! HAHAHAHA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PhazonLink posted:

wait was Lego failing 20 years ago?

also do they mean 20 years ago as in 200X or the 90s or 80s?

IIRC Lego was actually in what's considered a dark age in the late 90s/early 00s at least, making a lot of poo poo no one really wanted and stuck in some bad design trends.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC Lego was actually in what's considered a dark age in the late 90s/early 00s at least, making a lot of poo poo no one really wanted and stuck in some bad design trends.

HEDGIES!!!!:argh:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was before they discovered the one secret trick called 'licensed IP sets'.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
lol @ bbby bag holders

I made money on GME and AMC. Most I made in one transaction was 17K in profit and then I told myself I was done

Everyone had a cult mindset. After GMEs success around CNBC was talking about silver. If they’re talking about silver than some hedge fund has found a way to scam a bunch of morons.

RoboBoogie fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 11, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

It was before they discovered the one secret trick called 'licensed IP sets'.

actually :goonsay: they had already started doing that and it was almost the last nail in the coffin because they wound up misjudging demand and overproducing them because they were leaning on them to keep the company afloat

the main problem was that the lego company decided that making toy model construction kits using plastic bricks was a dead end business and they needed to diversify their revenue streams into theme parks, cartoons, and other types of toys

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It's always great when new management comes in to a successful business than just decides to random only tangentially related bs.

Like diversifying can be good, but you know make sure you don't gently caress over your core business in the process if it's doing well.

I swear business school is just a lobotomy.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

dr_rat posted:

It's always great when new management comes in to a successful business than just decides to random only tangentially related bs.

Like diversifying can be good, but you know make sure you don't gently caress over your core business in the process if it's doing well.

X, the everything app

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

cruft posted:

Definitely worth something as a collector's piece. Too bad for the apes the same can't be said of their poo poo stock.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

the holy poopacy posted:

actually :goonsay: they had already started doing that and it was almost the last nail in the coffin because they wound up misjudging demand and overproducing them because they were leaning on them to keep the company afloat

the main problem was that the lego company decided that making toy model construction kits using plastic bricks was a dead end business and they needed to diversify their revenue streams into theme parks, cartoons, and other types of toys

Ironically they've managed to make all that poo poo work now by building on their core product until they have a more comfortable base and can afford the risks of branching out.

Licensed IP sets are actually quite the risk, as it's not like popularity is guaranteed and in fact it can have much narrower appeal than more generic original stuff, and on top of that you need to pay for the licensee, probably royalties and deal with their stipulations on top of your existing design and marketing requirements.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
As a child I could amuse myself endlessly with a giant bucket of Lego pieces. How on earth could the company be a rollercoaster?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Licensed IP sets are actually quite the risk, as it's not like popularity is guaranteed and in fact it can have much narrower appeal than more generic original stuff, and on top of that you need to pay for the licensee, probably royalties and deal with their stipulations on top of your existing design and marketing requirements.

I recall that their was a bunch of toy stuff licensed for Batman Returns before it released, then when it came out and it turned out the movie wasn't suitable for lame parents who only wanted their kids to see lame movies, the toy companies all sued.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

As a child I could amuse myself endlessly with a giant bucket of Lego pieces. How on earth could the company be a rollercoaster?

It's harder than it looks! Unrelatedly they also make Lego rollercoasters.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Yes but were you buying new sets every month?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

If I needled my mom enough sure

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Are any Apes trying to pump up Rite Aid right now, another company brought low by dirty short sellers?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

colonelwest posted:

Are any Apes trying to pump up Rite Aid right now, another company brought low by dirty short sellers?

Rite aid will heal itself and come back stronger than ever. :hai:

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

dr_rat posted:

It's like the one thing you can't blame on business schools.

Lego was always run by members of the Kristiansen family, and the guy who almost ran it into the ground was the grandson, who spent his youth working for grandpa and dad, who then became CEO when he was like 30 and promptly fired a bunch of the older people in the company and started stir up poo poo.

He pissed off the family so much that they eventually replaced him with a completely unrelated former McKinsey-ghoul, who promptly turned the company around.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

It turns out that there’s a sad small sub-group of apes pouring money in Rite Aid because of course there is.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

super sweet best pal posted:

now that i think about it i was a poor kid whose legos were hand me downs from older friends of the family so i guess not

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Wait you buy lego? I thought pieces just naturally grew under couch cushions and random bits of furniture?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's more that a lot of business degrees are just laundering privilege for useless failchildren, whether they actually absorb any useful information from them is entirely optional. We live in a feudal system with the names switched around as a charade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's more that a lot of business degrees are just laundering privilege for useless failchildren, whether they actually absorb any useful information from them is entirely optional. We live in a feudal system with the names switched around as a charade.

ftfy. And I say that as an educator.

I can at least respect the rich failchildren who read literae humaniores or english lit or art history or something, because at least they're not pretending that their education is what got them to where they are today.