Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

any recommendations for shoe brands for wide feet? i had hemp shoes i really liked but it bust near the pinky toe. looking for a mix of walking shoes and something nicer

Ironically, vans slip-ons fit me very well if I size up a half/whole, but I only have a wide toe-box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

any recommendations for shoe brands for wide feet? i had hemp shoes i really liked but it bust near the pinky toe. looking for a mix of walking shoes and something nicer

If you are willing to get spendy, take a look at Allen Edmunds. I've had good luck with their EEE width fits. Definitely wait for sales or factory seconds though.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Wide 'hey dudes' wally Sox but I'm not sure they sell them anymore... I was only able to find them on the website and they slowly seem to be removing available colors

LlamaTrauma
Jan 12, 2005

Well here I am
Drunk in Heaven
Kinda seems redundant

Altras. They have a wide toe box regardless of shoe width being regular or wide. I specifically got them for a screwed up foot due to being in narrow shoes too long and they’ve been great.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

LlamaTrauma posted:

Altras. They have a wide toe box regardless of shoe width being regular or wide. I specifically got them for a screwed up foot due to being in narrow shoes too long and they’ve been great.

Seconding Altra, I really love the wider toe box. Mine are the Low Peak model. Note that they are “zero drop” though (basically the heel isn’t elevated above the toes like in most shoes), which I like but not everyone does.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

E- never mind

Snowy has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Sep 24, 2023

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I gently lay a paper towel on top of whatever and that generally catches most spatter from food. Would that not work?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

George H.W. oval office posted:

I gently lay a paper towel on top of whatever and that generally catches most spatter from food. Would that not work?

It’s basically ok, I do that too. Maybe I’ll stick with it

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have extremely wide feet, complete with bunions due to garbage genes, and went through a whole process of trying, shopping and returning in recent weeks.

You’re approaching this the wrong way. I’ve found that Altras are good for wider feet, yeah, but many of their shoes have questionable durability and style. You don’t need to constrain yourself by brand.

You can just get the wide or extra wide size in regular shoe brands. For me, the best options have been Brooks, New Balance, Saucony and Asics. But heck, I found that even brands with reputations for being narrow have wide variants that fit well. My wide Hokas are real roomy. I’m so happy to have found nice shoes that don’t hurt my feet.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

I have extremely wide feet, complete with bunions due to garbage genes, and went through a whole process of trying, shopping and returning in recent weeks.

You’re approaching this the wrong way. I’ve found that Altras are good for wider feet, yeah, but many of their shoes have questionable durability and style. You don’t need to constrain yourself by brand.

You can just get the wide or extra wide size in regular shoe brands. For me, the best options have been Brooks, New Balance, Saucony and Asics. But heck, I found that even brands with reputations for being narrow have wide variants that fit well. My wide Hokas are real roomy. I’m so happy to have found nice shoes that don’t hurt my feet.

I guess the question should be "how wide?"

I have a 14EEEEEE foot, which is, from what I've been able to find, the widest commercially-manufactured shoes that exist (I recognize that this is well outside two standard deviations from the mean). I've never seen a company outside of New Balance or Hush Puppy make them, most companies that have an "extra wide" is usually EEEE. Anything that doesn't have a reputation for wide shoes doesn't come close.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

For super wide feet you can also lean into some of the flexible/soft shoes out there. As a wide-footed guy who didn’t want to look like a goober in toe shoes I’ve found a some of the shoes that the guy in the video below talks about to be nice looking and comfortable.

https://youtu.be/Ap990027tOY?si=1lMITt8Qvi99A-u1

El Mero Mero has a new favorite as of 05:07 on Sep 28, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That makes me wonder if that’s part of the reason I love my Chacos so much. It’s just a toe loop (or no toe loop if you’re a weirdo) and that’s that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Give me your favorite shower curtain hooks or rings or loops that fit a 1.5" diameter shower rod.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I have ones that are basically exactly like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Titanker-Curtain-Rust-Resistant-Bathroom-Curtains/dp/B081YQBPSS

They're good in a few ways:
It's an open hook, so it easily slips on and off the rod. I've had both metal and plastic ones before that "clipped" in and it made it more of a pain to take on/off or when I had to clean or replace the shower curtain/liner.

Ball bearings on the top so it slides easier than plastic loops.

There are two hooks on the bottom, so that you can have the liner and curtain on their own hook, again, making it easier if one has to be changed/cleaned but not the other, and it helps keep the liner on the inside of the tub and curtain on the outside.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Sep 28, 2023

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

I have ones that are basically exactly like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Titanker-Curtain-Rust-Resistant-Bathroom-Curtains/dp/B081YQBPSS

They're good in a few ways:
It's an open hook, so it easily slips on and off the rod. I've had both metal and plastic ones before that "clipped" in and it made it more of a pain to take on/off or when I had to clean or replace the shower curtain/liner.

Ball bearings on the top so it slides easier than plastic loops.

There are two hooks on the bottom, so that you can have the liner and curtain on their own hook, again, making it easier if one has to be changed/cleaned but not the other, and it helps keep the liner on the inside of the tub and curtain on the outside.

These only fit 1" rods.

My issue is that as far as I can tell, there is basically one or two manufacturers of shower curtain hooks/rings/loops, and they only make them to fit 1" shower rods. I find the same holders under all sorts of different brands, but Home Depot, Target, and Lowes all carry the same ones with different branding, and they're all made to fit 1" rods, as far as I can tell.

I cannot imagine my house has the only 1.5" shower rod in the world, but I am starting to believe.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ham Equity posted:

These only fit 1" rods.

My issue is that as far as I can tell, there is basically one or two manufacturers of shower curtain hooks/rings/loops, and they only make them to fit 1" shower rods. I find the same holders under all sorts of different brands, but Home Depot, Target, and Lowes all carry the same ones with different branding, and they're all made to fit 1" rods, as far as I can tell.

I cannot imagine my house has the only 1.5" shower rod in the world, but I am starting to believe.

OH. Huh. Weird.

Might be easier to replace the rod? Is it a real shower curtain rod, or does it look like the PO just used, like, a random piece of pipe?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

OH. Huh. Weird.

Might be easier to replace the rod? Is it a real shower curtain rod, or does it look like the PO just used, like, a random piece of pipe?

I'm honestly leaning towards that, but it feels like a really stupid reason to replace a shower rod. The mounts are fitted to a 1.5" rod, too, and screwed to the wall (it's not a tension rod), so I'd have to pull those, too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mystes posted:

I don't think anyone is selling water bottles with actual BPA anymore but polycarbonate (which most hard clear plastic stuff is made of) still has other very similar chemicals that are effectively the same thing. You could just YOLO it but if you specifically like the feel of polycarbonate and want something like a nalgene water bottle, you might also want to try tritan which looks/feels similar but doesn't have bisphenol plasticizers in it.

I don't think any ice cube trays are made of polycarbonate so they won't have BPA or similar chemicals (a lot of other types of plastic are pointlessly labelled as BPA free when they never had it in the first place)

Other types of water bottles like soft LDPE bike water bottles or bottles made of translucent HDPE like most rubbermaid stuff also never had BPA in them.
Lol never mind actually HDPE plastics may be fluorinated and leech PFAS it turns out

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

Kyla Bennett, an ecologist and attorney in Easton, Massachusetts, subscribes to a school of thought called antispeciesism, which considers the preferential treatment of any animal species over another, humans included, to be unethical
Oh, an antivaxxer.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Viruses aren't animals so you're probably ok with her as long as you don't try to treat your roundworm infection

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Looking for a handheld microphone and speaker combo that can be paired with each other over Bluetooth. The speaker doesn't have to be big, and preferably something that can be bought on Amazon so I can smoke some store credit. If a combo doesn't work, then just a handheld mic that can be paired with the little Bluetooth speaker that I already own (but I'd prefer a pair that are already set up to work with each other).

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
As in you want to speak in to the microphone and it comes out the speaker?

mystes
May 31, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Looking for a handheld microphone and speaker combo that can be paired with each other over Bluetooth. The speaker doesn't have to be big, and preferably something that can be bought on Amazon so I can smoke some store credit. If a combo doesn't work, then just a handheld mic that can be paired with the little Bluetooth speaker that I already own (but I'd prefer a pair that are already set up to work with each other).
Do they have to talk to each other via bluetooth? If you search for pa speaker or karaoke speaker there seem to be a bunch with wireless microphones but I don't think the microphones talk to the speaker via bluetooth.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You probably don't want to go BT for something like that. The protocol has an inherent latency that makes it unusable for performance or monitoring.

Fortunately there are some relatively inexpensive options for turning any microphone into a wireless one; look up the xVive U3. Get a battery-powered speaker with an XLR input (or get an XLR-1/8" 'aux' adaptor) and a cheap mic and you're set.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It's for a pop-up lecture that my wife is doing, she needs a way to amplify her voice that can fit into a large purse or work bag.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Do they make biodegradable bags for scooping cat litter clumps and turds into? I don't like to put it in a plastic bags from the grocery store to carry the stinky clumps to the outdoor bin it's wasteful

Edit:and I don't shop with those bags anymore and I'm out what's a good thing to use

Brown paper lunch bags were my first thought but their not wide enough

Wendigee has a new favorite as of 04:48 on Oct 12, 2023

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Wendigee posted:

Do they make biodegradable bags for scooping cat litter clumps and turds into? I don't like to put it in a plastic bags from the grocery store to carry the stinky clumps to the outdoor bin it's wasteful

Edit:and I don't shop with those bags anymore and I'm out what's a good thing to use

I haven't used them, but I have seen biodegradable cat poop bags at Tractor Supply Company, next to the dog-doo bags. Personally I scoop into a large bin with a lid and take it out when it is full. It is still a plastic bag bin liner but it can hold a lot more volume than using a single bag every day. I have been toying with using a large paper grocery bag in the bin but I am not sure if it would hold up to the moisture over time.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

C-Euro posted:

It's for a pop-up lecture that my wife is doing, she needs a way to amplify her voice that can fit into a large purse or work bag.
Why not a megaphone?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Wendigee posted:

I keep cat litter in a special container, it’s called something like “countertop steel compost container”. I have several of these for stinky biodegradables.

Caveat here is you need to also use compostable litter like walnut or shredded pine.

It gets scooped into the container which gets dumped into the compost pile, no bags involved because I just carry the little can out. Before I moved to a house I had to throw it out in the main trash and then we’d dump the can into a chip bag or something, twist that closed and put it in the main garbage until we had to take it out.

Edit: here’s one that came in currently waiting to be wiped down

tuyop has a new favorite as of 13:48 on Oct 12, 2023

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Wendigee posted:

Switch to tofu litter, it's flushable and honestly also the best litter I've ever seen in every other respect too. Clumps well, removes stink fast, no dust, does track a bit but not overly much.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Organza Quiz posted:

Switch to tofu litter, it's flushable and honestly also the best litter I've ever seen in every other respect too. Clumps well, removes stink fast, no dust, does track a bit but not overly much.

My municipal jurisdiction recommends against flushing cat waste, regardless of the litter type. I can't remember if it messes up the reclamation plant chemistry or what. So you might want to check on that first.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Can anybody recommend a cheap-ish king sized comforter? It's one of those things where there are a million nearly-identical Amazon products, and they're a pain in the rear end to return.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I don't really understand whats going on....

I have a 5a, i got over 2 years ago with google fi.

They said if i paid like 24 bucks a month i'd get an upgrade for free.

well that upgrade is a 7a and its 28 bucks a month for 2 years if i stay on the "upgrade" plan....

Or I can just get a Pixel 8 for 15 dollars a month without being part of the upgrade plan, just through the google fi store. Add 8 bucks a month for accidental damage repair like breaking the screen and its cheaper than the 7a.....

what am i missing? i don't get it. Does the 8 suck? it looks neat?

why is their upgrade service so poo poo? are they just selling the 8 really cheap right now and if I'm not on the plan ill be paying like 400 bucks in 2 years or something if i want to upgrade because they won't have these sales? can anyone get this pixel 8 offer?

Wendigee has a new favorite as of 03:50 on Oct 20, 2023

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wendigee posted:

I don't really understand whats going on....

I have a 5a, i got over 2 years ago with google fi.

They said if i paid like 24 bucks a month i'd get an upgrade for free.

well that upgrade is a 7a and its 28 bucks a month for 2 years if i stay on the "upgrade" plan....

Or I can just get a Pixel 8 for 14 dollars a month, just an a seemingly existing offer and add 8 bucks for accidental damage repair.

what am i missing? i don't get it. Does the 8 suck? it looks neat?

why is their upgrade service so poo poo? are they just selling the 8 really cheap right now and if I'm not on the plan ill be paying like 400 bucks in 2 years or something if i want to upgrade because they won't have these sales? can anyone get this pixel 8 offer?

The 8 is brand new. They tend to have really good deals on the newest phone. I got my Pixel 7 for $100 (with a trade-in of a Pixel 3XL) through Verizon when it first hit.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I recently bought a house, and my housemates have a cat, and the cat likes to hang out on my window with it open. Is there a good cat bed for that? The sill is about four inches wide, I don't want one that hangs off the window since he likes it to be open (I also like it to be open).

So you can see what I'm talking about :

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

The 8 is brand new. They tend to have really good deals on the newest phone. I got my Pixel 7 for $100 (with a trade-in of a Pixel 3XL) through Verizon when it first hit.

so it sounds like i should should just drop the upgrade plan, get the pixel 8 and then just hope they have another crazy sale in 2 years... not that unlikely i suppose.

edit: omg sorry i thought i was posting this in the phone thread lol...

as for the cat... i used a suctioncup one for a while but it looked dangerous like it would break the glass if something crazy happened so i ended up spending more for a cat tree that is just window height and he can sleep and sit on that while the window gives him nice outdoor air he loves it.

edit: thats a handsome cat right there!

Wendigee has a new favorite as of 04:10 on Oct 20, 2023

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
where do people get home stuff thats not amazon? i dont doing minor building. assuming ikea is the cheapest whats a level above that? Wayfair? i guess i would consider local chains as well. (think furniture like desks/lamps/kitchen)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

where do people get home stuff thats not amazon? i dont doing minor building. assuming ikea is the cheapest whats a level above that? Wayfair? i guess i would consider local chains as well. (think furniture like desks/lamps/kitchen)

Craigslist, Nextdoor, and estate sales are where I've been getting furniture.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Wayfair is even more of a flea market than Amazon. CB2 might be up your alley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

Craigslist, Nextdoor, and estate sales are where I've been getting furniture.

Yup.
There's basically nothing between the best Ikea and the lowest "Real Wood" stuff at the lower/mid range furniture stores like Ashley's. But the price jump FROM that "high end Ikea" to "low end Ashley's" is massive.

But unfortunately IME CL, FB, and estate sales have been pricing ANY wood/solid furniture like it's a Herman Millar or something.

Just because some random 80s kitchen table is better than some new press-board POS doesn't mean it's worth $200.