Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
If nothing else, you have to pay respect to Axel's skills as a flutist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

Currently in mission 11 in FM2 and really the only that annoys me is how pilot exp is distributed and you dont get exp in the arena. My missile users are really underleveled while my two short range pilots are tearing enemies limb by limb with machine guns. However even they can run out of ammo.

How bearable is the translation? I played Moon Dwellers twice through so I've got a fairly high tolerance for such things.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Colonel posted:

what was the chaos within se that led to them releasing a terrible battle pass-centric chocobo racing sequel, and then a year out after realizing nobody was going to buy a battle pass-focused chocobo racing game, removing the battle pass and patching it into a normal mediocre racing game while not really telling anyone

The company was being run by a CEO who thought (and probably still thinks) NFTs are the great poo poo ever and that the company should bet on web 3.0 for its future.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Been considering picking up Undernauts again...IDK though...I think I need my DRPGs to have more buttons for me to hit. The stuff each class got was so simplistic I lost interest fast. Loved the aesthetic and stuff though.
Their games definitely lack the complexity of other Wizardry-likes but I find their gameplay loop just flat out hypnotic. Like I enjoyed Operation Abyss and that’s bog standard as far as (formerly Vita) DRPGs go. After Mon-yu I just have Babel, Stranger of Sword City, and that game they package with Stranger of Sword City on Steam/Switch whose name I forget

The only Steam-exclusive DRPG I’ve fully played through and enjoyed is an unabashed Etrian knockoff called Infinite Adventures which has wonky character art but mimics Etrian and its systems pretty well. I’ve got Starcrawlers but I just haven’t been able to get into it.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 12, 2023

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hunter Noventa posted:

How bearable is the translation? I played Moon Dwellers twice through so I've got a fairly high tolerance for such things.

It's significantly better than Moon Dwellers', except maybe in the depths of the Network.

Yes, I realize that is a very low bar.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Disgaea is a franchise I've enjoyed every one I've tried but they're not the best but i think fans of them have told me every single one of them is the bad one and I shouldn't play it. I know I've seen it itt for 1 3 4 and 5 at least.

glad everyone can agree 2 is unimpeachable

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I realize I'm stepping on the landmine but I'm pretty sure 3 is the holder of The One No One Likes title

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Disgaea 2 was a game that grew on me the more I played it, as I began to respect the greatly expanded secondary and post game content compared to the first game while still retaining interesting mechanics that kept a degree of strategic gameplay. The PS3 era of the franchise skewed heavily towards rocket tag style combat with most of the tactical challenges revolving around really irritating geo block puzzles.

I think Disgaea 3 is the funniest game in the franchise in terms of writing (I realize this is highly subjective) and I enjoy that it has a relatively breezy pace compared to other games in the series, but it does have to contend with the fact that 4 is pretty much just a straight upgrade in almost every regard. I think the only thing people feel 3 did better is that it is way less irritating getting into the Land of Carnage in 3 compared to 4.

CullenDaGaDee fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 12, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think 6 is the new Bad One that Everyone Can Agree On.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i will pretend to like it because i like making people mad, ha ha!~

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

mycot posted:

I realize I'm stepping on the landmine but I'm pretty sure 3 is the holder of The One No One Likes title

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Mechanically, I’d say 2 and 5 are the best of the series, while 1, 3, and 4 had my favorite stories.

Every disegea is the best and worst in the series.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I've not yet had the pleasure to play 6 so who knows, maybe that one is the dog turd everyone says it is.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i only played the first disgaea for an hour before i realized the series as a whole would not be for me

actually I haven't really gotten into any of NISA's SRPGs. the SRPG i enjoyed the most from that era was probably Jeanne D'Arc on PSP, the one Level 5 RPG that doesn't peter out in the second half

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I like all videogames

Share the love

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've heard enough good things about D7 to want to get it eventually, but also no clue if it's just because 6 was so bad it looks good in comparison lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

7's their first 3D game after 6 and it has a majority of the old classes and monsters included in it so it's tangibly better in that sense, even putting aside the damage and level scaling is normal again.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I remember people really liked 5 but I dropped that super quickly so I can't be sure the same won't happen with 7. Maybe disgaea just ain't for me anymore

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

7 has a very cute catgirl in it

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
5 was good gamefeel, strong mechanics for postgame, boring story with nothing characters. so if you're largely in these games for the writing I can see why it would not be compelling.

I did like the angel guy but that was about it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So 3 is the Hero Wannabe Demon, 5 is...the werewolf one? and 6 is the court case. What was 4's story gimmick?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sardines, iirc

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The werewolf is in D4.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

5 is the fightin' anime one

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

5 has the protagonist with an eating disorder that can only be satiated by the cold dish of vengeance.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

5 is basically a DBZ-style shounen arc

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CullenDaGaDee posted:

5 has the protagonist with an eating disorder that can only be satiated by the cold dish of vengeance.

revenge is a bitch, plip

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

4 is one with Troy Baker doing his Excalibur voice from Soul Eater

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
4 also has patrick seitz doing a gay werewolf voice

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Hunter Noventa posted:

The translated dialogue is what you get when you directly translate Japanese to English, readable but very awkward sounding. Like a fan sub?

The broken Engrish you will find is most likely directly from the original Japanese release so its complete nonsense. Nothing plot critical tho because its not meant to be readable.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 12, 2023

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Time and Eternity came up on my timeline with a mix of one of two reactions showing off a generational gap: "Wow this looks really cool!" and "Wow it's that worst RPG ever from back on the PS3".

But nevermind that, here's Yuzo Koshiro's opinion.
https://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro/status/1712178607169425727

(He talks more about his experience in followup replies and it's enlightening / depressing but this first one was just too funny)

HGH fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 12, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

HGH posted:

Time and Eternity came up on my timeline with a mix of one of two reactions showing off a generational gap: "Wow this looks really cool!" and "Wow it's that worst RPG ever from back on the PS3".

(He talks more about his experience in followup replies and it's enlightening / depressing but this first one was just too funny)

I love Yuzu Koshiro's Twitter. I had no idea he was on that game. All I remember is 1) a really creepy premise that is basically a harem romance thing but the main character is a cartoon mascot looking dragon 2) the animation gimmick meaning almost all enemies are palette swaps

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Koshiro-san responded to a tweet I made to him about how much me and my dad loved his music, a super kind fellow :3:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HGH posted:

When paused you can see why they probably thought they could do animation style graphics on 3d backgrounds and have it work on the PS3 in Time and Eternity but in motion boy does it become it clear that it just does not work at all

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it look sorta nifty when i was watching the smaller embed but then i went full screen and suddenly it felt like i was going to get motion sickness lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They probably could have made it work if they had a budget of more than 25 cents and an expired KFC coupon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Time and Eternity was described by a friend once as "bad Virtual Hydlide" and thats a worrying prospect

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'd still like to play it, it looks so unique

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
imageepoch's psp games already feel like underbudgeted experiments that just barely work so i can't imagine a ps3 game was ever going to be a clean prospect for them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

I'd still like to play it, it looks so unique

You really wouldn't. It plays just so awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
A Japanese streamer I follow played through that game and it was in his "crap game" category already before actually starting it so yeah, it's one of those games bad enough to actually be famous for being bad (in Japan at least).