Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bird with big dick posted:

I love how they're talking about Blockbuster becoming enormously profitable by opening a bunch of brick and mortar theaters as opposed to you know those companies that already own thousands of brick and mortar theaters that aren't really doing that hot.

Cargo cult approach to branding even moreso than branding is already cargo cult in the boardrooms.

Malls in American in particular mostly suffer from having massively overstretched even at the height of their profitability iirc, especially with how many are built in bumfuck nowhere suburbia. The ones with actual viable locations are doing fine, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Boxturret posted:

but they haven't thought of adding games to them!

or blockchain

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

istewart posted:

I've actually been hoping somebody writes a well-documented, critical book on how Eddie Lampert ran Sears into the ground. Even as it was going on, hyper-capitalist finance/investor types were all, "yup, this guy's totally strip-mining the company for his own benefit, this is going to end badly." And it did! If somebody's already come out with that book and I just missed it, please let me know!

I see that there's Institutional Suicide: Corporate Culture and the Death of Sears by Henry S. Sharp (356pp), available on Kindle for $7.50U.S.
https://www.amazon.com/Institutional-Suicide-Corporate-Culture-Death-ebook/dp/B085WP5VW3

I don't see any reviews of it.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

ranbo das posted:

BBBY is actually a perfect example of this, as they were going into bankruptcy a hedge fund bought hundreds of millions of dollars worth of stock from the company directly (which went directly into bonds, which were held by large corporations) and dumped them onto retail investors, netting profit in the tens of millions. Had it not been a meme stock, those hundreds of millions wouldn't have been able to be sold.

I'd bet AMC and GME see similar things when they go down.

AMC is interesting because, unlike the other meme stocks, it shows some signs of recovery.

They still have liquidity and debt issues to go along with record revenues and solid profits, but they aren't facing the same doom spiral as Gamestop and Bed Barf and Babies.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Thorgot posted:

AMC is interesting because, unlike the other meme stocks, it shows some signs of recovery.

They still have liquidity and debt issues to go along with record revenues and solid profits, but they aren't facing the same doom spiral as Gamestop and Bed Barf and Babies.

AMC will probably crater like gamestop. The method of our entertainment consumption has changed and will continue to change, both AMC and gamestop have been far too slow to diversify their business's to adapt to that change.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ranbo das posted:

BBBY is actually a perfect example of this, as they were going into bankruptcy a hedge fund bought hundreds of millions of dollars worth of stock from the company directly (which went directly into bonds, which were held by large corporations) and dumped them onto retail investors, netting profit in the tens of millions. Had it not been a meme stock, those hundreds of millions wouldn't have been able to be sold.

I'd bet AMC and GME see similar things when they go down.

AMC has been the innovation leader in figuring out to exploit these cults into actually funding the company's operations.

https://newsletterhunt.com/emails/24418

quote:

You know the deal. AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc. had a meme stock that traded up a lot even as AMC’s business was struggling. AMC took advantage of this dynamic to sell a lot of stock — so much stock, in fact, that it ran out. Its corporate charter authorizes 524 million common shares, and by last summer it had issued essentially all of them.

The obvious solution was for AMC to ask its shareholders to vote to amend the charter and authorize more shares. In 2021, AMC did that, but then withdrew the proposal in the face of shareholder … well, I am not sure what to call it. “Shareholder opposition,” perhaps. “Shareholder indifference,” maybe. The point is that AMC needed to get a vote of a majority of all of its common shares to approve the charter amendment. There were two problems. One is that its shareholders are mostly individual retail investors, and retail investors tend not to vote much [1] ; only about half of AMC’s shares voted at its last annual meeting. The other is that some of those investors really didn’t like the plan to issue more stock, worrying that it would dilute their ownership (or help out short sellers, or otherwise bring down the price of AMC stock). Those two problems are additive: AMC needed a majority of all of its shares to vote to authorize more shares; if 40% of its shareholders didn’t vote and another 20% voted no, then the proposal would fail. So AMC withdrew it.

Last summer, AMC came up with a less obvious but much funnier solution: Its board used its authority to issue “blank-check preferred stock” — basically preferred stock with any terms it likes, without shareholder approval — to issue a new sort of stock called APEs, AMC Preferred Equity Units, that are meant to replicate common stock. They have the same economic rights as common stock, and the same voting rights. AMC airdropped the APEs on its shareholders, issuing one APE for each common share as a stock dividend, and then went merrily along selling APEs to raise more cash.

One way for this to go would be for the market to decide that APEs are a close substitute for common shares, and price them accordingly. That mostly did not happen: By Dec. 21, AMC’s common stock was trading at $5.30 per share, while the APEs were at just $0.685. AMC was selling an economic equivalent to common stock at an 80+% discount to the price of the common stock, which is definitely dilutive for shareholders.

The other way for it to go would be for AMC to ask shareholders again to amend the charter and authorize more shares, and then to use the additional authorization to convert the APEs into common shares and collapse everything back into one, more abundant, class of stock. On Dec. 22, AMC announced that it would do that. The APEs went up, and the common stock went down, as the market anticipated that the conversion.

The shareholder vote to approve the conversion is scheduled for March 14. One assumes it will be approved:

The APEs and common shares vote together as a single class, and there are now way more APEs than common shares.
The APEs have an incentive to vote yes: If their APEs are converted into common stock, that is good for APE holders, since right now APEs trade at a much lower price than the common.
A big block of APEs was placed with one investor, Antara Capital LP, who agreed to hold its APEs through the vote and vote them in favor of the amendment.
The APEs have a voting mechanism where they are technically preferred shares held by a depositary, and the depositary has to vote all of the shares in proportion to the voting instructions it actually gets, so if 40% of APE holders vote yes and 10% vote no (and 50% don’t vote), the actual preferred shares will vote 80% yes and 20% no.
I wrote: “AMC has solved the problem of retail non-voting, by giving its retail shareholders APE units that (1) have voting rights but (2) don’t rely on most of the holders actually bothering to vote.”

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

BigBadSteve posted:

I see that there's Institutional Suicide: Corporate Culture and the Death of Sears by Henry S. Sharp (356pp), available on Kindle for $7.50U.S.
https://www.amazon.com/Institutional-Suicide-Corporate-Culture-Death-ebook/dp/B085WP5VW3

I worked for Kmart shortly after Eddie Lampert took over and I'd love to read some books on the downfall, even though I already know a ton of the juicy details. Kmart/Sears absolutely had a path forward to stay relevant and continue to be a part of the retail landscape but Lampert just wanted the real estate. Make a buck today, gently caress tomorrow

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

bagmonkey posted:

I worked for Kmart shortly after Eddie Lampert took over and I'd love to read some books on the downfall, even though I already know a ton of the juicy details. Kmart/Sears absolutely had a path forward to stay relevant and continue to be a part of the retail landscape but Lampert just wanted the real estate. Make a buck today, gently caress tomorrow

I worked for kmart very briefly during a poo poo time in my life and I got to be part of an eddie lampert idea: in-store pickup but there's only one nearly untrained employee picking merch and the store gets fined if the job isn't done in less than ten minutes even if the merch's untagged in the crates and/or backrooms

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 12, 2023

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

TaurusTorus posted:

We’re gonna be the Amazon of brick and mortar retail.

This is like Amazon opening its facial recognition grocery stores and I poo poo you not barber salons in cities.

Like come on guys you have a business model

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

bird with big dick posted:

I love how they're talking about Blockbuster becoming enormously profitable by opening a bunch of brick and mortar theaters as opposed to you know those companies that already own thousands of brick and mortar theaters that aren't really doing that hot.

The people floating those ideas are basically describing the now defunct type of kids' entertainment center like Discovery Zone, which is like chuck e. Cheese with more playground equipment and poo poo to jump in

It is absolutely just these dudes wanting their childhoods back plus video games and alcohol

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

zetamind2000 posted:

I worked for kmart very briefly during a poo poo time in my life and I got to be part of an eddie lampert idea: in-store pickup but there's only one nearly untrained employee picking merch and the store gets fined if the job isn't done in less than ten minutes even if the merch's untagged in the crates and/or backrooms

I was there for a while because I weaseled myself into some decent raises, so I got to see SO loving MANY of his terrible ideas. My favorite was Sears Essentials because I got to travel locally for almost a year tearing poo poo down and rebuilding poo poo. It was a blast and I have fond memories of that, not much of the rest tho

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

bagmonkey posted:

I was there for a while because I weaseled myself into some decent raises, so I got to see SO loving MANY of his terrible ideas. My favorite was Sears Essentials because I got to travel locally for almost a year tearing poo poo down and rebuilding poo poo. It was a blast and I have fond memories of that, not much of the rest tho

says a lot about sears as a metaphysical concept that if you google sears essentials the first thing that comes up is a wiki about a fictional timeline where dead brick and mortar companies are still alive

https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/Sears_Essentials

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 12, 2023

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

rotinaj posted:

The people floating those ideas are basically describing the now defunct type of kids' entertainment center like Discovery Zone, which is like chuck e. Cheese with more playground equipment and poo poo to jump in

It is absolutely just these dudes wanting their childhoods back plus video games and alcohol

I always wonder why there aren't more privatized playgrounds, since at least part of the year or on bad weather days, an indoor playground with special extra stuff seems like a good proposition for parents. And a decent birthday option. Staffing would be minimal, the parents themselves would provide supervision and you could have a little coffee shop or whatever attached for grown ups to hang out in while the kids play. And sell kid snacks of course.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

I always wonder why there aren't more privatized playgrounds, since at least part of the year or on bad weather days, an indoor playground with special extra stuff seems like a good proposition for parents. And a decent birthday option. Staffing would be minimal, the parents themselves would provide supervision and you could have a little coffee shop or whatever attached for grown ups to hang out in while the kids play. And sell kid snacks of course.

It's tough to keep businesses open on that basis, especially when you have fixed costs and finite capacity.

(The actual business model is running an event venue for kids' birthday parties, foot traffic for the playground area can't compete on income and is just a way to get people in the door so they go "oh I can have Tayden's party here next month.")

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

They became popular after my kid was too old to go, but I believe this is precisely what Gymboree is was.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

rotinaj posted:

A big 30-plex movie theater near me did pretty much this a few years ago. They ripped out about half the screens, and turned that side of the building into a bowling alley / arcade / restaurant / laser tag arena. It's kid-friendly, but not entirely kid-focused (by which I mean there's a bar next to the restaurant area). Amazingly, it seems to have actually worked out. They do a brisk trade in kids' birthday parties during the day, and it usually has a decent crowd on Friday and Saturday nights, consisting mostly of under-21s in need of someplace, anyplace to hang out.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

Iirc it tends to be insurance costs and difficulties. A local skateboarding venue was forcibly shut down over such

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Apparently one of the apes catfished the CEO of AMC.

Matt Levine's newsletter posted:

I gather that the story here is:

A woman named Sakoya Blackwood, like so many other Americans, “struggled emotionally during the Covid-19 pandemic” and turned to day-trading stocks to pass the time.
It did not work, so, “after unsuccessfully trying to earn money from day trading,” she decided to catfish Adam Aron, the chief executive officer of AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc. and perhaps the biggest celebrity in the world of, uh, people who struggled emotionally during Covid-19 and unsuccessfully tried to earn money from day trading.
So she “began texting Aron under the name ‘Mia,’” sending him “photos of a person that her attorneys later said was a 17-year-old Russian model.”
“Aron, who has been married since 1987, mistook her for a woman with whom he’d had a prior relationship, asking whether she was a ballerina who had done ‘unmentionable things’ to him.”
I just!
He got catfished with pictures of a Russian model with the fake name Mia and “mistook her for a woman with whom he’d had a prior relationship”? What … are the odds of that?
He “eventually sent her explicit pictures,” which she used to blackmail him: “She demanded hundreds of thousands of dollars in hush money and threatened to take the photos and messages to the press and AMC’s board, at one point texting Aron the unlisted cell phone numbers of six directors.”
She was arrested and charged with extortion; she pled guilty and served about 10 months in jail.
Today Liz Hoffman at Semafor broke the news that her victim — previously identified only as “Victim-1” and “the Chief Executive Officer of a publicly traded company” — was Aron.
Apparently Aron told AMC’s board about all of this after Blackwood was sentenced this year. “The board determined it was a personal matter, and considers the issue resolved,” says AMC.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Catfish'ing the head of AMC?

Oh really now, how is that even a crime.:colbert:

I feel like that sort of shananigans ought to be an expected part of the role.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

So is he long or short (this is important)?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

...and it usually has a decent crowd on Friday and Saturday nights, consisting mostly of under-21s in need of someplace, anyplace to hang out.

What the old abandoned rusty nail factory too good for them or something???

Kids today bah, so drat picky.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I have a paper stock sitting in a drawer somewhere for Nortel Networks. Wonder if these Apes would pay for it.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

dr_rat posted:

What the old abandoned rusty nail factory too good for them or something???

Kids today bah, so drat picky.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

is this a political ad from a Skyrim side-quest?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

shame on an IGA posted:

AMC has been the innovation leader in figuring out to exploit these cults into actually funding the company's operations.

lol, but seriously how is this not illegal

naem
May 29, 2011

Mercury_Storm posted:

investment people are 100% in the business of finding conniving schemes that somehow seem to make money that are technically not fully illegal yet, but obviously should be if anyone was paying attention

they then involve just enough very very rich people who are connected enough to wave an under the table go-ahead for a few months or years etc. to make them all a bundle, unless it collapses in which case they get a gov. bailout and/or they pick a sacrificial victim to blame.

if the scheme never stops making money it becomes enshrined as a foundation of capitalism

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

RoastBeef posted:

Apparently one of the apes catfished the CEO of AMC.
Hmm, this is shaking me to my very core, but I am starting to wonder if many CEOs might be big morons

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

shame on an IGA posted:

Thanks so much, I’ve always found the exact deal with APE to be a bit impenetrable so this is great. I’ll add it to the helpful links.

Mercury_Storm posted:

I think there’s a few things at play here. AMC hasn’t really been underhanded about what they have been doing here. They publicly tried to dilute their stock. The public results of that vote were that it did not go through because not enough people voted for it, but also a majority did not vote against. They then publicly came up with and executed this new plan that let them dilute without a majority of shareholders agreeing to it. At no point (afaik) did they make any attempt whatsoever to obfuscate their goals and methods. Are they liable for the losses of people who failed to recognize it?

Normally, I would say no, and I think no court in the land would disagree with me on that. If you invest in a stock without being able to recognize what is happening with it and then something bad happens that you failed to recognize until it was too late, that’s your fault. Sucks to suck, should have bought an index fund instead.

However, AMC is unique. Unlike every other meme stock in the game, they (and in particular the CEO) made moves which were explicitly and unequivocally designed to attract and foster a community of apes. They specifically cultivated a base of stockholders who would be unlikely to understand that a company doing this is generally bad for shareholders, and even in the event that they do recognize it is generally bad, would pointedly overlook that AMC is doing it and dismiss all evidence of dilution until it was too late. At some point I’m going to go back and try to find some examples but as far as I know this is exactly what happened; Apes celebrated the launch of APE and shouted down anyone who suggested it would make the stock price go down until the very day it became interchangeable with common stock. This is the outcome that AMC was aiming for. So, are they liable for that?

Well, who knows? There isn’t much in the way of precedent for this. There has never been a point in history where individual household investors have collectively held enough of the shares for several large companies that those companies had to take them into account when doing stuff like calling votes or diluting stock. There is a lawsuit ongoing against Ryan Cohen for misleading his ape fandom so he could profit off them, but that case is ongoing and there is no guarantee the result will become precedent for anything. Regulatory action may also be in the works. Finally, we have to consider that the squeaky wheel gets the grease: the extent to which AMC is held accountable for the losses it may or may not have inflicted on apes will be influenced by how many apes are willing to actually admit that their shares are now worth less. If a decent percentage of the apes affected by this dilution band together to launch a class action lawsuit against AMC, it may very well go somewhere, but history indicates that most of them will insist their shares are still worth significantly more than their market value pre- or post-dilution. Those people will simply refuse to claim damages, much like many apes who stand to benefit from the current lawsuit against Ryan Cohen vehemently reject that he mislead them.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

BigBadSteve posted:

This looks like the most boring book ever about what should be an incredibly interesting story that deserves a deep dive of what was happening within the company. It's part of Kindle Unlimited, can someone take a look and see if the book is any good?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

rotinaj posted:

I mean that sounds fairly enjoyable. Discovery Zone rave at the barcade.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Big fan of this r/BBBY post:

an ape posted:

Shame on the moderators at this sub for allowing the perception to persist that this sub has died by suppressing all the posts. You are trying to build a false narrative for anyone coming here looking for information.

For those of you just tuning in, this an idea of the posts for the two main subs over the past 12 hours:

BBBY Sub Posts = 1
PP Sub Posts = 50

While at the same time, there is likely a mod (or mods) in this sub with multiple alt accounts - - they are the ones you see actively shilling negative sentiment, purposely destroying the community. They could even be doing it surreptitiously so that none of the other OG mods even know it's going on.

One post, one single post in 12 hours? Meanwhile more than 50+ on the PP sub! Shame on you!

Now the mods are shills! And they're shilling by ... not posting!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
AMC is good at exploiting morons but not good at running a business. They were in dire straits well before the pandemic hit--the memes bought them a lifeline, but I've zero reason to believe they'll be able to use it properly.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

no one wants anything to do with us. this can only be bullish.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Trillhouse posted:

no one wants anything to do with us. this can only be bullish.

somehow they keep surprising me

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Original_Z posted:

This looks like the most boring book ever about what should be an incredibly interesting story that deserves a deep dive of what was happening within the company. It's part of Kindle Unlimited, can someone take a look and see if the book is any good?

It's an academic text (social anthropology), and the author's an anthropologist.

Make of that what you will.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Ariong posted:

I think there’s a few things at play here. AMC hasn’t really been underhanded about what they have been doing here. They publicly tried to dilute their stock. The public results of that vote were that it did not go through because not enough people voted for it, but also a majority did not vote against. They then publicly came up with and executed this new plan that let them dilute without a majority of shareholders agreeing to it. At no point (afaik) did they make any attempt whatsoever to obfuscate their goals and methods. Are they liable for the losses of people who failed to recognize it?

This is the whole crux. The SEC’s entire governing philosophy is that disclosure cures all. You want the privilege of selling to retail investors, you’ve got to tell them everything. And if you’re honest, and do tell them everything, up to a point (thinking of Hertz trying to sell shares while literally bankrupt), you’re good. Look at BBBY six months ago, basically saying “the board issuing this stock does not see a likely way to return the company to sustainability”. They were honest, people bought it anyway, in the way the SEC sees the world that’s how the system is supposed to work.

There’s no “but we know that the investors in this particular security are in fact morons” clause in the securities laws. Maybe there’s an argument there should be one, that SEC (or CFTC) registration should actually be substantive, rather than disclosure-based, but it runs against pretty much a solid century of the governing philosophy of market regulation. AMC fully disclosed what they were doing, they gave it a clever name, and they profited. You really can’t treat them differently because the market has idiots that go “hehehe APEs together strong”. It’s the same market that sent Pokémon Company stock skyrocketing during the Pokémon Go craze, when that game was made by a different company.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

It’s the same market that sent Pokémon Company stock skyrocketing during the Pokémon Go craze, when that game was made by a different company.

That's wasn't necessarily a crazy investment choice though, thinking that the popularity of Pokemon Go would positively impact other Pokemon products made by the Pokemon company was pretty reasonable. Not sure if it did, since the Pokemon Go craze ended up being pretty short lived, but that doesn't mean the investment choice was crazy.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
i was behind a car that had a sticker with "amc" and a gorilla thumping its chest, and i knew something about that driver thanks to this thread. i assume

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Zippy the Bummer posted:

i was behind a car that had a sticker with "amc" and a gorilla thumping its chest, and i knew something about that driver thanks to this thread. i assume

This is a truck I saw last year in Madera, the middle of nowhere in central California

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
oh my