Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Popy posted:

this should be the theme song of C-SPAM

The lyrics keep getting harder the further it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders
https://www.palestinercs.org/en
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

mcmagic posted:

I mean gently caress this guy but no one should be fired for shitposting imo. Many times as many people are going to be fired for expressing the correct opinion supporting palentinians.

That is probably true unfortunately.

Leaving aside the balance between free speech and hate speech, which I think is a false dichotomy. I think defenders of free speech fail to reckon with the fact that every society, even and especially The United States, engages in censorship, firing people for controversial opinions, or just straight up criminalizing certain political positions. It always happens no matter how free speech they claim to be. It's because of this idea called the Overton Window. There is a sliver, could be wide, could be thin, of opinions that are considered normal and acceptable to have and outside of which, opinions are considered controversial, bizarre, unthinkable, and even criminal.

For all the United States claims that they prize anything goes free speech, there was a time where in some states, being against slavery was criminalized, even a capital offense during the civil war. Later you could go to jail for opposing the draft or US entry into WWI. Let's not forget the red scare, the assassination of Fred Hampton, COINTELPRO, or the persecution of Edward Snowden and other whistleblowers. All of which has happened while the first amendment was the supposed law of the land.

But the window shifts. In the case of slavery, wanting to re legalize slavery in the United States is considered crazy talk and hate speech. A complete reversal. Do not investigate where your consumer good came from though. People who claim that free speech should be absolute and that the US is a paragon of free speech will write those exceptions of as mistakes or misapplications but they are the system working as intended. America needs the promise of liberalism and democracy to maintain buy in and legitimacy for its empire but often finds itself inconvenienced when those obligations come due. So they contrive exceptions, attribute them to bad supreme court rulings or bad presidents or mistakes or emergency measures. But in my view, those exceptions are more interesting and telling than the rule we pretend to uphold.

So coming back to hate speech and Israel versus Palestine. The US is inconvenienced by pesky outside agitators and obviously foreign propaganda and "the spread of misinformation" so they get friendly compliant media that is part of the Washington Consensus to isolate and marginalize dissenting voices as weirdos and then they start the pressure campaign to get us fired. My take is that if the government can cast aside free speech when it needs to keep a war and genocide going, why should we fear advocating for bans on hate speech. This is an ideological battle and we need to take power and when we take what power we can, we have to press our agenda and our paradigm. We don't have free speech and we never have. We have a corridor of allowable dissent. That corridor selectively lets in far right and normalizes ghoulish pro-war liberals and neoconservatives and its getting worse. Where we have power and influence, we must shut out hate speech. We must push back against people stripping us of our speech, not because it is anti-free speech but because their point of view is wrong and genocidal and our is just and correct.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
https://twitter.com/opdaiIy/status/1713278710961275065?t=zhLqGbegNccAdq59fojNHw&s=19

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dip...ox=1697350706-1

quote:

Israel should stop its “ collective punishment” of Gaza’s civilians with actions beyond self-defence, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said, warning it would worsen regional tensions and lead to humanitarian disaster.
In a call with Saudi Arabian counterpart, Wang also condemned the continued Israeli retaliation to a shock attack a week ago by Palestinian militant group Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip.

“Israel’s actions have gone beyond self-defence,” Wang told Prince Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud, according to a Chinese foreign ministry readout released early on Sunday.

“It should seriously listen to the calls of the international community and the United Nations secretary general and stop collective punishment of the people of Gaza.”

“China opposes and condemns all actions that harm civilians because they violate basic human conscience and basic norms of international law,” Wang said.

He also urged all parties to refrain from escalating the situation and to return to negotiations as soon as possible, the readout added.

“China is communicating intensively with all parties to urge for a ceasefire. The top priority now is to ensure the safety of civilians, open humanitarian aid channels and safeguard the basic needs of Gaza’s people,” Wang said.

China taking the international lead on siege relief.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

straight into my veins

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

:blessed:

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I mean gently caress this guy but no one should be fired for shitposting imo. Many times as many people are going to be fired for expressing the correct opinion supporting palentinians.

true but i still wanna get a "lol owned" out there

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Read a few pages then decided to declare bankruptcy. Glad to see we are joined by the al-Pecksniff Martyr Brigade.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/therapisthammam/status/1712877548420345989?s=20

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Death By The Blues posted:

A little more but Hersh is saying they are absolutely planning to use MOABs/Bunker Busters

https://twitter.com/conzmoleman/status/1713357732164632773

This is madness. Real sick poo poo

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Gritty Captain Planet reboot

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

It's the same picture.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

lol China just clowning on all the western nations in terms of humanity in this situation, not that shocking honestly.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Slavyangrad posted:

Concentration of Israeli strikes on the Gaza Strip according to satellite images

#source

@Slavyangrad
(from t.me/Slavyangrad/68432, via tgsa)

Exposed Beit Hanoun up there by the upper right is going to be a omen of things to come. If the IDF cannot take it, then the other urban agglomerations are going to be a bloodbath. IDF success on the other hand, means that progress is going to correspond to the level of bombs spent and remaining.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Blackhawk posted:

lol China just clowning on all the western nations in terms of humanity in this situation, not that shocking honestly.

Which would be odd, seeing how they have been doing worse to the people they subjugated for a very long time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mean Baby posted:

Which would be odd, seeing how they have been doing worse to the people they subjugated for a very long time.

Not gonna risk a 24er for posting further in D&D but I really want to know what the gently caress they think China did to the Uighurs because I don't think China forcibly evacuated a million of them and them bombed their convoys, hospitals and ambulances. I'm not up on D&D lore on this one; I assume this is some kind of Adrian Zenz nonsense?

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1713399901688598603

Pete Davidson articulates the new approved liberal position - this genocide is a bummer, you can forgot about it if you need to

Yeah that's always kind of the liberal pressure release valve when a situation has gotten a little too real. You can always just check out, say something vague about mental health, act like you're actually kind of the victim here because it's all been so hard on you, and ghost. It works every time, until of course it's something that effects you personally, in which case you can just throw in with the fascists

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Mean Baby posted:

:elon:

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Not gonna risk a 24er for posting further in D&D but I really want to know what the gently caress they think China did to the Uighurs because I don't think China forcibly evacuated a million of them and them bombed their convoys, hospitals and ambulances. I'm not up on D&D lore on this one; I assume this is some kind of Adrian Zenz nonsense?

White Supremacy is a hell of a drug

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
not that keen on the gbs invasion tbh

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's old topic by now but it's really amazing how social media has exposed the latest generations of failkids to public exposure that is completely unprecedented to them and they have absolutely no ability to handle, it's the first time they've ever been in an environment not designed to cater to them and/or mould them in a specific image.

In a way I’m almost ready to say the internet is finally a good thing. For the first time in the I/P conflicts long history it’s created a huge hole in the official narrative, by beaming Israel’s crimes (and Israelis themselves openly bragging about their fascism to their selfie cams and twitters) directly into peoples eyes in a way that can’t be mitigated by the medias “context” or just erased. And the pseudo-anonymity of being “XxWeedlord 69xX” is allowing people a place to say “This is really hosed up” without getting fired for wrongthink. And it’s really hurting the image of the ruling class because they are just too stupid to not understand that on social media the peasants can reply to your posts in ways other than sycophantry because you can’t fire them for getting uppity.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

They authoritarianly built houses for muslims instead of democratically blowing them up

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

PostNouveau posted:

it's all 100% Adrian Zenz. every source goes straight back to him. liberals are the dumbest motherfuckers and will believe state department propaganda directly or through osmosis and spread like goon telephone until "i just know it's real OKAY? stop asking why, it just is". if they ever provide a "source" all the footnotes are one-degree of separation from Zenz

you know what's actually true? america is actively genociding millions of brown and black people domestically, and abroad

edit: Because this is relevant before and now, more than ever. if you want to know how The State (intelligence/defense/whatever) disseminates information, i beg everyone to read this: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1402.5644.pdf It ties into an Overton Window type thing, but rather it's through in-groups and not wanting to be ostracized from your group, so what you believe becomes truth as you also repeat it to 'fit in', and then don't want to challenge pre-conceived notions you develop through osmosis in your 'in group'

quote:

When making a decision or forming an opinion, indi-viduals tend to communicate with parents, friends, or
colleagues and take advice from social peers. Social con-nections such as friendship, kinship, and other relation-ships can influence the decisions they make. Some indi-viduals (e.g., parents, teachers, mentors, and celebrities) may exhibit more powerful influences in others’ decision making, and the underlying social network enables the influence to pass from influential individuals to receptive individuals. Containment control is a particular classof consensus problems (see [12, 13] for a comprehensive literature review for consensus problems), in which fol- lower agents are under the influence of leaders through local information exchange in a leader-follower network.

In results such as [14–17], distributed containment con-trol algorithms are developed for agents with integer- order dynamics where the group of followers is driven to a convex hull spanned by multiple leaders’ states un-der an undirected, directed or switching topology. This paper examines how such methods can be leveraged to manipulate a social network. This work specifically aims to investigate how peer pressure from social leaders affects consensus beliefs (e.g., opinions, emotional states, purchasing decisions, political affiliation, etc.) within a social network, and how an interaction algorithm can be developed such that the group social behavior can be driven to a desired end (i.e., a convex hull spanned by the leaders’ states).

The goal in this work is to develop a de-centralized influence algorithm where individuals within a social group update their beliefs by considering beliefs from social peers and the social group achieves a desired common belief (i.e., the social state of the group con- verges to a convex hull spanned by social leaders). Since an individual generally only considers others’ beliefs a reasonable if their beliefs differ by less than a threshold,
social difference is introduced to measure the closeness of the beliefs between individuals.

By modeling the group social response as a networked fractional-order system, a decentralized potential field-based influence algorithm is developed in this work to en- sure that all individuals’ states achieve consensus asymptotically to a desired convex hull spanned by the sta- tionary leaders’ states, while maintaining consistent in-fluence between individuals (i.e., network connectivity)...For instance, a person tends to have a larger tolerance for a difference of opinions for a certain social event in a close friend than a loose acquaintance, and thus, can be more easily influenced by the close friend
basically no one should just believe what they learned "through the grapevine" through their groups or otherwise. the only truths will be those learned from an understanding of media conditions and model undergirding the 'truth'.

Lord of Pie posted:

They authoritarianly built houses for muslims instead of democratically blowing them up
this

Xaris has issued a correction as of 08:36 on Oct 15, 2023

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders
https://www.palestinercs.org/en
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's old topic by now but it's really amazing how social media has exposed the latest generations of failkids to public exposure that is completely unprecedented to them and they have absolutely no ability to handle, it's the first time they've ever been in an environment not designed to cater to them and/or mould them in a specific image.

That's what I think of when the neoliberal establishment starts talking about "controlling the spread of misinformation" or "Russian bots." It is absolutely true that there is abundant misinformation, fascist conspiracy theories, perhaps, even people from countries, like Russia, that aren't the United States with different core assumptions that go against the party line. *gasp* The misinformation they want to suppress is not so much misinformation but information that goes against their paradigm, only some of which truly is misinformation. I find fact checkers to be overly literal and occasionally dispute things that have evidence in favor of them, like that some Ukrainian soldiers wear Nazi stuff.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

what would be the western equivalent of this? or the closest thing?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

what would be the western equivalent of this? or the closest thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YttscNOoAjA

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Mean Baby posted:

Lmao you dumb motherfucker. Guess what, America is way loving worse than China and it's not even close.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

1:15, a new personal record. Think I might make Worlds this year.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
https://twitter.com/pslnational/status/1713268376066224256?t=uQhXcGNvuKK4z5EMC0bGsQ&s=19

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Zoeb posted:

That's what I think of when the neoliberal establishment starts talking about "controlling the spread of misinformation" or "Russian bots." It is absolutely true that there is abundant misinformation, fascist conspiracy theories, perhaps, even people from countries, like Russia, that aren't the United States with different core assumptions that go against the party line. *gasp* The misinformation they want to suppress is not so much misinformation but information that goes against their paradigm, only some of which truly is misinformation. I find fact checkers to be overly literal and occasionally dispute things that have evidence in favor of them, like that some Ukrainian soldiers wear Nazi stuff.

Yeah, the establishment used to be able to disseminate their opinions unchallenged; now you can hop straight onto Twitter and tell them to their faces that their opinions suck and they're an idiot and it always makes them so loving mad lol.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Popy posted:

this should be the theme song of C-SPAM

Nah, gently caress that. War is bad.

e: honestly, there's just been too many civilian deaths over the past week, and there are going to be far too many more over the next week. I don't have any patience for "ironically" calling for more civilian deaths. gently caress anyone who does have patience for that at this point.

e2: not meaning to single you out, Popy, I meant that generally.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 08:38 on Oct 15, 2023

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, the establishment used to be able to disseminate their opinions unchallenged; now you can hop straight onto Twitter and tell them to their faces that their opinions suck and they're an idiot and it always makes them so loving mad lol.

used to be able to, not the case anymore :(

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

just make different account??? welcome to th einternet

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lord of Pie posted:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I mean if he's a professor and is teaching young people and he has those opinions...then he probably shouldn't be teaching young people then.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
some guy at the grocery store was saying it was like an eighth of israelis died if you compared the per capita numbers to the American population and asked, "what if an eighth of us were gone?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zoeb posted:

It's because of this idea called the Overton Window. There is a sliver, could be wide, could be thin, of opinions that are considered normal and acceptable to have and outside of which, opinions are considered controversial, bizarre, unthinkable, and even criminal.

just gunna re-cite this, but you should read it. https://arxiv.org/pdf/1402.5644.pdf

this was work done by the DoD describing the methodology used for control and dissemination of 'information' or ideology in a social media age to arrive at an 'overton window'. And... it's only the tip of the iceberg. You can see these effects real-time all the time as ideology converges within social media spheres of influence: covid was a good case history. with the right nudging, any information (real or fake, usually fake) can be dispersed and become The Truth within groups.

Basically, never believe anything derived from an "in-group" or "heard it down the grapevine" that can be repeated until it becomes defacto fact and no one will challenge it.