Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Chamale posted:

Alberta has a good answer for when "covid season" is. In case you can't view tweets, this says "The current [respiratory virus] season starts on August 27, 2023 and ends on August 24, 2024."

https://twitter.com/GosiaGasperoPhD/status/1712579319879627006/photo/1

gently caress you Alberta, stop stealing our jokes :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8hkF1CJ/

Someone has been trying to growing cordyceps to feed on human skin and blood. I don't see anything bad to come out of this

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 20:23 on Oct 15, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

almost 8 million doses, loving christ. I hate our system so much

The important thing is that no one stole those from means-tested disadvantaged community members

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Last customer through the door tonight had a clean, well fitting aura on and I made sure to mention it and thank her for looking out for me and others. She literally said "I feel more and more like one of those Japanese soldiers who weren't told the war was over"

I’m in this picture and I don’t like it.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

NeonPunk posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8hkF1CJ/

Someone has been trying to growing cordyceps to feed on human skin and blood. I don't see anything bad to come out of this

this is profane. what in tarnation

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

4yo got his shot on friday. i'm scheduled for moth juice monday.

4yo now getting sick. one negative lucira so far, but it's pretty early.

we got him stuck as soon as we could. it was not easy!

lol at this timing if it ends up being covid.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Psycho Society posted:

this is profane. what in tarnation

I like how some folks in the comments were saying that this is nothing to worry about since there is a vast evolutionary gap between ants and humans so cordyceps won't take over humans, ignoring the very video where that dude made it that it can and will eat up humans cells lmao

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Animal-Mother posted:

The army tries to get Rambo's commanding officer from the war to come tell him "It's over, Johnny!" but when they get ahold of his family they find out he died of a "sudden illness" at the age of 56.

In case you don't remember, that is how the movie starts. Rambo tries to visit a fellow veteran, and his widow tells him that he died of cancer that he contracted from Agent Orange exposure. Everyone in Rambo's squad is dead.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

NeonPunk posted:

I like how some folks in the comments were saying that this is nothing to worry about since there is a vast evolutionary gap between ants and humans so cordyceps won't take over humans, ignoring the very video where that dude made it that it can and will eat up humans cells lmao

Already long dead human cells is the key there though. Live humans have immune systems and temperatures that cordyceps can't live in.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

Already long dead human cells is the key there though. Live humans have immune systems and temperatures that cordyceps can't live in.

I'll grant you the temperature is an issue but you gotta give me a citation on the human immune system being able to fight off fungi

It just feel like it's kinda a bad idea to give it a taste of our blood and assume nothing will comes out of it

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

Not with that attitude, buddy! Better get crackin on some thermophilic gene insertions!

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/10/15/taylor-swift-eras-tour-concert-film-opening-weekend-box-office.html

Happy COVID wave everyone.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It's stupid, sensationalist, and unlikely to result in anything more than a few incredibly weird Tik Tok videos.

But man given the risk/reward ratios we're talking about here maybe you wanna put on a mask before handling fruiting fungus bodies you cultured on your own tissue lol

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
You must have closed the video before they ate the human tissue cordyceps

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
that was in response to the cordyceps thing, i might look at the t.swift concert thing uncharitably but I'm not trying to compare swifties to mushrooms

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Psycho Society posted:

You must have closed the video before they ate the human tissue cordyceps

there's always more, and it's always worse

yes of course i closed the video why did i want to listen to a dweebus in a mushroom hat continue rambling about picking off scabs to put into their fungus culture

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
i mean if you know the word 'mycotoxin' why would you ever wanna pop some kinda novel shroom in your mouth that you've put under unusual environmental pressures that's just asking for trouble, 'Last of Us' clickbait dipshittery aside

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

NeonPunk posted:

I'll grant you the temperature is an issue but you gotta give me a citation on the human immune system being able to fight off fungi

Ok?

Innate Defense Against Fungal Pathogens posted:

The innate immune system is well equipped to recognize and destroy pathogenic fungi through specialized cells expressing a broad range of pattern recognition receptors (PRRs).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4426252/

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

That's from pre-Covid period. There has been whole poo poo ton of folks getting infected with fungi nowadays

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
I'm not saying that humans can't get infected by fungi (man would my wife be happy to never get a yeast infection) just saying it's a world of difference having ANY organism feasting on long dead human cells and on a live person with an immune system (especially one evolved to affect a vastly different organism)

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

NeonPunk posted:

It just feel like it's kinda a bad idea to give it a taste of our blood and assume nothing will comes out of it

Humans fighting off fungal infections?
Not if you've caught covid a few times!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Man, I already filled up my brain on everything related to viruses, I just don't want to do the same thing all over again with fungi this time. There's just limit to how much information I can hold in my mind

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
https://twitter.com/RajlabN/status/1713552021087809703

:coronatoot:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

seemed like the best place to post this

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

more! more! :peanut:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

how do we not have a COVID version of :peanut:?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Chamale posted:

In case you don't remember, that is how the movie starts. Rambo tries to visit a fellow veteran, and his widow tells him that he died of cancer that he contracted from Agent Orange exposure. Everyone in Rambo's squad is dead.

Agent Orange is just a cold now, everybody back to Vietnam.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

Agent Orange is just a cold now, everybody back to Vietnam.

lol

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

mawarannahr posted:

seemed like the best place to post this

I briefly misread this as "take a knife and scream until you can't breathe".

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Internet Janitor posted:

I briefly misread this as "take a knife and scream until you can't breathe".

Please scream inside your heart.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Oracle posted:

Please scream inside your heart.

this is exactly what I was thinking of :)

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Chamale posted:

Alberta has a good answer for when "covid season" is. In case you can't view tweets, this says "The current [respiratory virus] season starts on August 27, 2023 and ends on August 24, 2024."

https://twitter.com/GosiaGasperoPhD/status/1712579319879627006/photo/1

brb scheduling all of my suck&gently caress for august 24-27 2024

unless it's inclusive, so 25-26? schedule getting a bit tight

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/arijitchakrav/status/1713736649413120227?s=20

quote:

Abstract
SARS-CoV-2 induces illness and death in humans by causing systemic infections. Evidence suggests that SARS-CoV-2 can induce brain pathology in humans and other hosts. In this study, we used a canine transmission model to examine histopathologic changes in the brains of dogs infected with SARS-CoV-2. We observed substantial brain pathology in SARS-CoV-2–infected dogs, particularly involving blood–brain barrier damage resembling small vessel disease, including changes in tight junction proteins, reduced laminin levels, and decreased pericyte coverage. Furthermore, we detected phosphorylated tau, a marker of neurodegenerative disease, indicating a potential link between SARS-CoV-2–associated small vessel disease and neurodegeneration. Our findings of degenerative changes in the dog brain during SARS-CoV-2 infection emphasize the potential for transmission to other hosts and induction of similar signs and symptoms. The dynamic brain changes in dogs highlight that even asymptomatic individuals infected with SARS-CoV-2 may develop neuropathologic changes in the brain.
:toot:

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

so is Covid not a thing anymore? as in it’s nothing to be worried about? I have to admit that I’m a bit naive when it comes to Covid since I thought it was still deadly to some extent. with Covid not being free anymore I’m figuring that maybe it’s no different now than the flu or some other mundane illness. is this true?

edit: what loving poor is going to pay 130 for a vaccine or go through the trouble of applying for it to be free?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
interesting article. however the authors must be destroyed

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Piggy Smalls posted:

so is Covid not a thing anymore? as in it’s nothing to be worried about? I have to admit that I’m a bit naive when it comes to Covid since I thought it was still deadly to some extent. with Covid not being free anymore I’m figuring that maybe it’s no different now than the flu or some other mundane illness. is this true?

edit: what loving poor is going to pay 130 for a vaccine or go through the trouble of applying for it to be free?

Covid is largely as bad as ever, other than vaccination helping to bring down death tolls. The governments of the world just no longer care who lives, dies or is disabled because they think they can plow through it.

Shiroc has issued a correction as of 05:56 on Oct 16, 2023

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Last customer through the door tonight had a clean, well fitting aura on and I made sure to mention it and thank her for looking out for me and others. She literally said "I feel more and more like one of those Japanese soldiers who weren't told the war was over"

So what I'm saying is reveal yourself you can come get booze for a dollar above wholesale any time lol

Thoguh posted:

I’m in this picture and I don’t like it.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

several birthday parties, holiday events, etc. have been canceled because parents are talking about how their households / kids are down with 'something'
lol, lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

The main takeaway shouldn't surprise anyone, but the study protocol isn't great (falling into the trap of long COVID being a symptom extension, while not - as far as I can tell - displaying understanding of PASC manifestation in children). Of course I can't see the actual study (these are just results presented), so maybe they are just communicating the protocol poorly :shrug:
"Pediatric vaccination reduces long COVID during omicron"

quote:

[…]
Among 622 participants, 67% were vaccinated and 5% reported a long COVID symptom for at least 1 month.

Vaccination was associated with a 34% decreased likelihood of one or more long COVID symptoms (adjusted OR [aOR] = 0.66; 95% CI, 0.43-0.99), a 48% reduced likelihood of two or more symptoms (aOR = 0.52; 95% CI, 0.32-0.83) and a 47% reduced likelihood of respiratory long COVID symptoms (aOR = 0.53, 95% CI 0.33-0.87), the researchers reported.

(..)

Nearly the same findings in a recent health record study:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.09.27.23296100v2 posted:

The vaccination rate was 56% in the cohort of 1,037,936 children. The incidence of probable long COVID was 4.5% among patients with COVID-19, while diagnosed long COVID was 0.7%. Adjusted vaccine effectiveness within 12 months was 35.4% (95 CI 24.5 – 44.5) against probable long COVID and 41.7% (15.0 – 60.0) against diagnosed long COVID. VE was higher for adolescents 50.3% [36.3 – 61.0]) than children aged 5-11 (23.8% [4.9 – 39.0]). VE was higher at 6 months (61.4% [51.0 – 69.6]) but decreased to 10.6% (–26.8 – 37.0%) at 18-months.

Given that two differing methodologies result in a mild one and a half PASC sufferers per classroom, I think that we can (safely) conclude that children are practically immune to COVID. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Piggy Smalls posted:

Quoting some guy who has been dead for three and a half centuries,

Do you not know, my son, with how very little wisdom the world is governed?

COVID is the world’s greatest infectious disease. Credible estimates of its ongoing death toll have it competing with tuberculosis, malaria, and AIDS—combined.

It turns out that lots of people are more naive than you are, though, and it’s more expedient for our so‐called leaders to effect a sociological end of a pandemic than a material end.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 10:41 on Oct 16, 2023