Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grendels Dad posted:

Makes me want to hear what your favorite horror movie is. Just for context.

No particular order just my top 50

01. The Thing
02. The Evil Dead Series
03. The VVitch
04. Resolution
05. The Endless
06. Last Shift
07. Event Horizon
08. Cabin in the Woods
09. The Color Out Of Space
10. In The Mouth of Madness
11. Drag Me To Hell
12. The Fly
13. REC
14. The Mist
15. The Shining
16. The Black Coats Daughter
17. 1408
18. Suspiria
19. Annihilation
20. Host
21. Hell House LLC
22. I Am Not A Serial Killer
23. The Void
24. The Grudge
25. Saint Maud
26. The Final Girls
27. Nightmare Cinema
28. Rent-A-Pal
29. Trick or Treat
30. The Ring
31. Alien
32. Slither
33. Prince of Darkness
34. Cube
35. Under the Skin
36. Silent Hill
37. House of the Devil
38. Censor
39. His House
40. The Others
41. Hellraiser
42. The Power
43. Dagon
44. 28 Days Later
45. The Autopsy of Jane Doe
46. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
47. From Beyond
48. Reanimator
49. Incident in a Ghostland
50. Dude Bro Party Massacre III

Suck rear end films:
01. The Darkness
02. Hereditary
03. Midsommar
04. We Go On
05. The Conspiracy
06. Absentia
07. The Vigil
08. Vivarium
09. The Innkeepers
10. The Babadook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Opopanax posted:

Just watched Incantation and it was terrific, loved Noroi and Medium as well. What am I missing in the Asian Found Footage Curse Movie genre? Cult and Occult are both on my list, and I know there's those Koji movies everyone here loves that I'll have a better setup for in a few months
https://www.themoviedb.org/search?query=Honto%20ni%20Atta!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Medullah posted:

Has anyone watched John Carpenters Suburban Screams? I love me some Carpenter but I'm iffy on the "based on a true story" angle

It's the spiritual successor to Netflix's Haunted, if you ever watched that show. It's not amazing but it was entertaining enough for a single viewing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Doltos posted:

01. The Thing
02. The Evil Dead Series
03. The VVitch
04. Resolution
05. The Endless
06. Last Shift
07. Event Horizon
08. Cabin in the Woods
09. The Color Out Of Space
10. In The Mouth of Madness
11. Drag Me To Hell
12. The Fly
13. REC
14. The Mist
15. The Shining
16. The Black Coats Daughter
17. 1408
18. Suspiria
19. Annihilation
20. Host
21. Hell House LLC
22. I Am Not A Serial Killer
23. The Void
24. The Grudge
25. Saint Maud
26. The Final Girls
27. Nightmare Cinema
28. Rent-A-Pal
29. Trick or Treat
30. The Ring
31. Alien
32. Slither
33. Prince of Darkness
34. Cube
35. Under the Skin
36. Silent Hill
37. House of the Devil
38. Censor
39. His House
40. The Others
41. Hellraiser
42. The Power
43. Dagon
44. 28 Days Later
45. The Autopsy of Jane Doe
46. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
47. From Beyond
48. Reanimator
49. Incident in a Ghostland
50. Dude Bro Party Massacre III

Suck rear end films:
01. The Darkness
02. Hereditary
03. Midsommar
04. We Go On
05. The Conspiracy
06. Absentia
07. The Vigil
08. Vivarium
09. The Innkeepers
10. The Babadook

Which The Darkness? There’s like four of them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doltos posted:

Can we skip the preamble where Hereditary fanboys ask you what your favorite film is, assume its a slasher, and then also say you didn't understand the film
gently caress no we can’t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gr0pKI-eeg

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
wow, no the haunting on that list, lesbophobic

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ruddiger posted:

Which The Darkness? There’s like four of them.

Kevin Bacon's

Snooze Cruise posted:

wow, no the haunting on that list, lesbophobic

I liked the part where the lion took off Owen Wilson's head

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Doltos posted:

lmao

"I didn't put any effort into this, just 50 movies I like off the top of my head."

It's fine, you can dislike Hereditary.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Doltos posted:

Horror is subjective going both ways. Obviously there's lovely horror movies out there like Leprechaun in Space or Jason Takes Manhattan. Everyone has their own personal shittiest horror movie even if the movie itself isn't poorly rated.

Like I think Hereditary is a boring piece of trash that tries to pull on grief heartstrings with one jump scare, no ambience, an illogical plot (who eats a walnut cake at a high school party), and terrible dummy work that is worse than 1980's VHS backyard flicks. I'd rather watch Critters 3 a bunch of times than another Ari Aster film.

This is most incorrect post I’ve ever read. “no ambiance”? You think Hereditary has “no ambiance “? You are nuts. The constant droning music, the long dull shots of poorly lit rooms, Hereditary is incredibly effective at establishing an ambiance that is simultaneously boring and annoying!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Grendels Dad posted:

lmao

"I didn't put any effort into this, just 50 movies I like off the top of my head."

Do you really think any active poster in this thread would find it difficult to list 50 horror movies they really liked off the top of their head?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

The Shameful Secret of the Spookadoodle Crew is that we all have mentally prepared lists of horror poo poo we're ready to spring on unsuspecting normies at any time. :(

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just realized hbo max only has the rated version or Jason Goes To Hell, I hope whoever it was that watched it for the first time watched the unrated version instead.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

The Shameful Secret of the Spookadoodle Crew is that we all have mentally prepared lists of horror poo poo we're ready to spring on unsuspecting normies at any time. :(

just lol if you don’t have private Letterboxd lists for your favorite horror movies from every decade, year, country, and sub genre

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

My shameful secret is I like Jason Takes Manhattan

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There are no bad Jason/Friday the 13th movies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

It’s not terrible, it would have been much better received if it wasn’t called Jason Takes Manhattan.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grendels Dad posted:

lmao

It's fine, you can dislike Hereditary.

I mean thats exactly the point of my post? Liking or disliking horror is subjective.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I think Hereditary and Aster in general are funnier than people give them credit for but it's ok to not like them. Reading the October Challenge is a wild ride because I think I've seen people hate nearly all of my favorites so far, but that's ok!

Gripweed posted:

It’s not terrible, it would have been much better received if it wasn’t called Jason Takes Manhattan.

It probably helped going in that I knew he didn't actually spend much time in Manhattan.

But it's worth the long boat ride for my favorite shot

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 16, 2023

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I liked Talk To Me. But I've always been a fan of gross looking corpses in movies and the concept of never ending loneliness and suffering.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I apologize for insinuating Jason Takes Manhattan is a terrible film I was trying to think of films people criticize

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Hereditary is fine but it’s not amazing and it’s stupid as poo poo. but I like it. Thanks

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I have a soft spot for it as well. I even saw it as a midnight movie once and it was a hoot.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Jason Goes to Hell is the worst F13, but as ruddiger said, there's no truly bad F13 movies.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Doltos posted:

Like I think Hereditary is a boring piece of trash that tries to pull on grief heartstrings with one jump scare, no ambience, an illogical plot (who eats a walnut cake at a high school party), and terrible dummy work that is worse than 1980's VHS backyard flicks. I'd rather watch Critters 3 a bunch of times than another Ari Aster film.

I don't think it's the worst horror flick ever but my god it sure is an overhyped piece of trash, I don't care if A24 throws its clout behind it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Doltos posted:

, an illogical plot (who eats a walnut cake at a high school party),

The walnuts were planned by the coven

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

That is an extremely weak rear end plan to kill someone, requiring multiple things to line up just right. Now I’m wondering if they had hatched multiple schemes beforehand which the weird kid had avoided Mr. Magoo style.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

FreudianSlippers posted:

They also planned for the kid to stick her entire body out of a car while passing a light pole that the brother swerved towards to avoid road kill which was all masterfully planned by the coven faaaart

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Taking Hereditary literally is such a boring way to watch Hereditary

I'm not even an Ari Aster Person. I Do Not Care For Midsommar. But the trans allegory is incredible.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

What’s your beef with The Babadook?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Xiahou Dun posted:

Despite being advertised as such, there’s virtually no LGBT themes to speak of.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s on you

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Xiahou Dun posted:

It doesn't really deserve to be on the bottom tier list since all my complaints about it basically boil down to me not being the target audience

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Babadook is gay as hell. Not the movie, the titular entity.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The Babadook is one of the most Solidly Okay movies I've ever seen. It lacks bite for how heavy-handed the messaging is and while both the mother and the kid are great at what they do I spent a lot of the early part of the movie really hating her for how badly she was treating her clearly neurodivergent child. The sets look great, the Babadook also looks great, but I didn't feel near enough tension and I really wish Mister Babadook was around more. The last act started getting really good but then the kid BLJ'd up the stairs and it lost me. It has a lot of undeniable craft and it's certainly in no way a bad film, but it amounted to a wiggly hand gesture and an "it's all right" from me.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Doltos posted:

They also planned for the kid to stick her entire body out of a car while passing a light pole that the brother swerved towards to avoid road kill which was all masterfully planned by the coven faaaart

I mean yeah.

They made it happen by putting the sigil on the pole.

It's magic.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Doltos posted:

It doesn't really deserve to be on the bottom tier list since all my complaints about it basically boil down to me not being the target audience

Sure, and I don’t like slashers, but if I called Halloween some hot trash I’d rightly get roasted over a fire.

So I think you can acknowledge it is in fact not “all subjective”. There’s an aspect of personal preference and an aspect of relatively objective craft, and we can discuss them both.

You might not like what Ari Aster does (I’m not a super fan myself), but considering his weird-rear end goals he accomplishes them very well. Similar to how someone can do an objectively good job making a food you happen to not like.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Xiahou Dun posted:

Sure, and I don’t like slashers, but if I called Halloween some hot trash I’d rightly get roasted over a fire.

So I think you can acknowledge it is in fact not “all subjective”. There’s an aspect of personal preference and an aspect of relatively objective craft, and we can discuss them both.

You might not like what Ari Aster does (I’m not a super fan myself), but considering his weird-rear end goals he accomplishes them very well. Similar to how someone can do an objectively good job making a food you happen to not like.

Again the original comment was replying to someone that thought Saw X was the worst horror movie ever and got scoffed at. I consider Ari Aster hot trash. I think he's a total hack. I don't think its objectively good, and I don't think he accomplishes anything very well. I think he's a product of marketing and I heavily dislike his film to the point where I consider it one of the worst of all time.

If you don't, that's fine, and that's what makes it subjective. I'm not going to just be like yea you're right you say its good so my opinion changes in the same way I don't expect you to agree with me that it sucks.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
halloween isn't hot trash but i do kinda feel firmly meh about it. its hard to not compare it to black christmas which has a much more compelling cast of characters. the shape being an outline where you can insert any normal looking dude in there who could suddenly have the potential commit violence towards women is interesting, but again black christmas does much of the same and manages to explore much more in its runtime.

i dunno i like most of carpenter's movies more.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Halloween was also a recut babysitter slasher movie that was pretty okay by 80's standards but not infallible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

I watched Resolution tonight and loved it, tomorrow I will watch The Endless