Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

lmao yes get rid of risk management i am a smart investor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

:dudsmile:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Sorry doomtrain but also lmao

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lol, still a massive bargain, and less than half the cost of applying for asylum.

quote:

Italy to charge foreigners 2,000 euros a year for health service

ROME, Oct 16 (Reuters) - Foreigners who live in Italy will be able to use the national health service after paying a 2,000-euro ($2,109) annual fee, the government said on Monday.

The charge, part of the 2024 budget adopted by the cabinet, will apply only to citizens from outside the European Union, the economy ministry said in a statement.

The ministry said there would be an unspecified discount for those with legal residency papers, as well as for foreign students and au pairs.

It was not immediately clear how far the reform would change the current system, which already foresees payments for some categories of foreigners.

Giordana Pallone of the Cgil trade union told the Adnkronos news agency the reform risked falling foul of the Italian constitution, which guarantees free medical care for the poor.

"We'll now have to wait to see how the law is written, because as it is reported today, it has no value or basis compared to the system and regulations that we have," she said.

Foreign workers, job seekers, asylum seekers and unaccompanied minors currently have access to free healthcare, like Italian nationals.

Other foreigners with legal residency, such as diplomats and students, can join the Italian health service voluntarily, for a variable fee.

For students, for example, the charge is capped around 150 euros per year, while for others it depends on their annual income and can go up to almost 2,800 euros.

Last month, Italy's right-wing government sparked controversy by decreeing that migrants would have to pay almost 5,000 euros to avoid detention while their request for protection was being processed.

and FYJ gets the freebie as a foreign worker.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

where do I sign up

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mama mia, that's a cheaply healthcare

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

when can i sign up

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

lol, still a massive bargain, and less than half the cost of applying for asylum.

and FYJ gets the freebie as a foreign worker.

no foreign workers "currently currently have access to free healthcare, like Italian nationals.... it depends on their annual income and can go up to almost 2,800 euros."

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

$2200/year is a freebie by u.s. standards

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

just be of italian descent and get citizenship. bing bong so simple

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I pay more than that for medicare part b + gap plan, lol.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Still a great deal. Americans would kill... actually no, Americans would not kill for this, even though they should, because killing for things in America only happens because people in the US only get homicidally angry that black people exist.

Anyway 2000 to get healthcare that's available nationwide without any of the games an insurance company pulls? Mamma mia what a deal.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

it is, but if you're a foreign worker you're also paying a payroll tax that funds the healthcare system anyway. but honestly it's a fairly progressive tax, non-EU nationals who qualify for a work permit are likely to have above-average income bc they are highly skilled, and it's lmao cheap compared to the USA

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

italy rules and is probably the best country on earth

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

triple sulk posted:

lol

lets not say things we can't take back now

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Xaris posted:

lol

lets not say things we can't take back now

the best food, espresso bars and vending machines everywhere, pretty good and relatively cheap train system, is not the united states

???

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

triple sulk posted:

the best food, espresso bars and vending machines everywhere, pretty good and relatively cheap train system, is not the united states

???

But it's full of Italians

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

triple sulk posted:

Fascism on the rise

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

triple sulk posted:

???
lets not forget the entire reign of fascism c. ww2; the entire post-war history with US performing clandestine operations to assassinate anyone left of hillary clinton and keep a regime of rightwing political power including even still in power today; that half the country is treated as sub-human underclass and extremely impoverished; and extreme inequality with lots of land being owned exclusively as an elite vacation playground. the state actively kills migrants and reinforces a very strict sub-human class structure

e: most importantly, half the country is dependent on getting on their knees grovelling to fat wealthy foreign tourists for sustenance. if half your country is dependent on metaphorically sucking off tourists to put food on the table, that's not a good country.

is it better than america, sure, but also

DaysBefore posted:

But it's full of Italians

Xaris has issued a correction as of 21:22 on Oct 16, 2023

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im sure italy is wonderful if you're a straight, white person

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

It seems like a number that is easy to pay for a foreign worker but can be used to deny medical services to a bunch of poor migrants.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Mustached Demon posted:

really though I'm saying our society makes it difficult to set up and maintain a successful weight loss diet plan, just the time spent to make a meal is a lot with everything factored in

I don't think it's really that overwhelming to get into a lifestyle where you eat healthy food, the problem is that the alternatives are just so prevalent that it's extremely easy to just not do that. people don't learn how to make cost-effective, healthy, fast, and tasty meals at home because there's not much incentive to do so until you're fat and feeling bad about yourself. it's super easy, on the other hand, to load up on cost-effective, fast, tasty garbage, which is why people get fat and stay fat. when you're working off prepared foods or heat-and-serve then most of what is out there is so full of calories that you'll never burn it off with exercise. and even if you do mostly cook mostly healthy meals, it doesn't take a whole lot of processed products or restaurant meals on top of that to gain weight.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Venice is an affront to the natural order and should sink into the sea .

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I don't think it's really that overwhelming to get into a lifestyle where you eat healthy food, the problem is that the alternatives are just so prevalent that it's extremely easy to just not do that. people don't learn how to make cost-effective, healthy, fast, and tasty meals at home because there's not much incentive to do so until you're fat and feeling bad about yourself. it's super easy, on the other hand, to load up on cost-effective, fast, tasty garbage, which is why people get fat and stay fat. when you're working off prepared foods or heat-and-serve then most of what is out there is so full of calories that you'll never burn it off with exercise. and even if you do mostly cook mostly healthy meals, it doesn't take a whole lot of processed products or restaurant meals on top of that to gain weight.

less than 5% of adults who want and attempt to lose weight weight are successful*

* 5% or greater reduction in body mass sustained for more than 24 months

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

In Training posted:

Venice is an affront to the natural order and should sink into the sea .

Don't worry, climate change is working on that

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

triple sulk posted:

just be of italian descent and get citizenship. bing bong so simple

Just grab a random boob and they give you an honorary membership

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Maed posted:

with current rent and sale prices ive looked at in nyc and with a 20% down payment, it'd take over 40 years for buying to be worth it, thats just rent vs mortgage, before things like maintenance fees and property tax. id be dead before buying would be worth it

i forsee it causing rent to just go up forever until no 1BR is less than $5000/month cause thats the cheapest mortgage you can get on a condo rn

buying a condo seems like a waste in general, I don’t get it. all the annoyances of an apartment and none of the benefits of a house

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

mistermojo posted:

buying a condo seems like a waste in general, I don’t get it. all the annoyances of an apartment and none of the benefits of a house

Equity

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

That's still a good deal compared to American heathcare costs.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'd rather live in a condo than a house.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

In Training posted:

I'd rather live in a condo than a house.

city life > the burbs

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

I never want a house but I would like the ability to upgrade the wiring and kitchen in my apartment without it just being a really expensive gift to the landlord

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

webcams for christ posted:

less than 5% of adults who want and attempt to lose weight weight are successful*

* 5% or greater reduction in body mass sustained for more than 24 months

right - were you just adding context to what I posted? we live in an obesogenic environment

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

right - were you just adding context to what I posted? we live in an obesogenic environment

yeah and it SUCKS

also cannot under-emphasize the culpability of the automobile and car-dependant infrastructure resulting in massive reductions in energy expenditure vs walkable environments

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

mistermojo posted:

it can be cheaper than renting. my total payment is less per month than renting a similar place and I will probably make some money when I sell. Im not sure what benefits you mean house wise but it’s nice being able to save money by fixing stuff myself and my maintenance is way better quality than any moron management I’ve had with landlords.

however if renting is cheaper than I would be doing that instead of dealing with the hoa stuff.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

cant wait to caution my grandchildren against getting chromed up

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

kinda obvious to everyone itt, but always worth calling out and sharing with the non-crack-pinged:

https://twitter.com/RaulACarrillo/status/1713910759346855948

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

webcams for christ posted:

kinda obvious to everyone itt, but always worth calling out and sharing with the non-crack-pinged:

https://twitter.com/RaulACarrillo/status/1713910759346855948

my raytheon lockheed martin stocks are through the roof, thank u janet yellin

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

still better than the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

triple sulk posted:

look up who the PM of Italy is