Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Sorry, I'm just broken that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

fresh_cheese posted:

hey - pretend im dumb: why do we need more than one “-“ ?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

fresh_cheese posted:

god. i really am a relic of a bygone time.

i stare at % all day on the terminal sessions i open first thing in the morning.

i dont give a rats rear end about the differences between the different renderings of “-“

the only reason i picked up python was so i could write ansible modules to replace stuff i did with bash 20 years ago so the new kids could use it.
tcsh user spotted

also same

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's funny because most people won't know if it's - or – without seeing both side by side, since on most fonts there's barely a difference

also just decided that if i need to loving google how to type a character on a keyboard because it's used so seldom and looks very similar to another character, maybe it shouldn't exist in user documentation for an interface where you can accidentally nuke critical infrastructure if you paste the wrong one lmfao

like good, lord we really need an OSHA or similar for computers already, it's still a loving wild west where everyone just does whatever they want

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

some ghost of christmas future poo poo to have blanksystemdaemon to join up to go "yeah, modernizing this sucks" in this conversation

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Truga posted:

it's funny because most people won't know if it's - or – without seeing both side by side, since on most fonts there's barely a difference

also just decided that if i need to loving google how to type a character on a keyboard because it's used so seldom and looks very similar to another character, maybe it shouldn't exist in user documentation for an interface where you can accidentally nuke critical infrastructure if you paste the wrong one lmfao

like good, lord we really need an OSHA or similar for computers already, it's still a loving wild west where everyone just does whatever they want

you're confusing hyphen and en dash, the issue here is HYPHEN MINUS (-) and HYPHEN (‐) and MINUS (‐)

yes, fonts map all three extended grapheme clusters to the same glyph

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol that's even funnier

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

you're confusing hyphen and en dash, the issue here is HYPHEN MINUS (-) and HYPHEN (‐) and MINUS (‐)

lol

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

FlapYoJacks posted:

I'm a sick gently caress who doesn't care about font rendering. Stock Adwaita fonts with 125% scaling on Gnome. Don't care, I have better things to do.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

pseudorandom name posted:

let me interject for a moment, what you guys are referring to as hyphen, is in fact, hyphen/minus, or as I've recently taken to calling it, hyphen plus minus.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it does at least harmonize with the rest of tech that the linux thread true believers don't give a poo poo about user experience, because i don't think anyone was ever going to argue with most years being the year of linux on the anonymous vm you touch as little as possible

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
en dashes are a secret handshake for typography snobs to recognize other typography snobs.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
em dash supreme

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as "dash", is in fact, em dash, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, em plus dash. Dash is not a comma replacer unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning compound word made useful by the set of rules comprising a full language as defined by English.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/212964/en-us/ posted:

Added support for the CTM, DEGAMMA_LUT, and GAMMA_LUT DRM-KMS CRTC properties. These are used by features such as the "Night Light" feature in GNOME and the "Night Color" feature in KDE, when they are used as Wayland compositors.

finally! :)

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as "dash", is in fact, em dash, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, em plus dash. Dash is not a comma replacer unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning compound word made useful by the set of rules comprising a full language as defined by English.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

oh god please use this correctly cropped version:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
yea see, i got bit by that “-“ is not “-“ poo poo last week and spent loving hours trying to figure out why my loving yaml was not parsing correctly.

its because some “-“ opinion having motherfucker put a “-“ instead of a “-“ in the example documentation with the helpful ‘click here to select and copy this whole box to your paste buffer’ button and then, when i clicked it, and pasted it into a terminal, saved it, and tried to apply it DIDNT loving WORK

keep your goddamned typography out of my loving examples

user experience my rear end

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it's probably a linux thing but there's somebody out there putting automatic two-character ligatures into fixed-width fonts that then get used on web pages and i want to strangle them

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
also gently caress whoever made smart “ a thing. do not loving change my “ to some other identical “ which also prevents example code from running.

your user experience improvements are a piece of poo poo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
how do you even type those out, i only get "

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Truga posted:

how do you even type those out, i only get "

the ios keyboard does it by default, and i think the default mac text editor does it too

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

copying shell commands out of a vendor's PDF documentation but having to fix up all the line breaks, ligatures, quotes, and dashes to get it to run

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

ASCII motherfucker! Do you speak it?!

mystes
May 31, 2006

shackleford posted:

copying shell commands out of a vendor's PDF documentation but having to fix up all the line breaks, ligatures, quotes, and dashes to get it to run
this is the loving worst

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lmbo that em dashes — one of the best punctuation marks — breaks linux so bad

mystes
May 31, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

one of the best punctuation marks

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

em dashes aren't the issue

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

no, people who use em dashes in examples in digital form, and tools which allow em dashes when the rendered target is an example are the problem

maybe if Courier only had the normal “ and - and everyone used it for examples thatd help?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
whats em dash?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
not much, whats em dash with you?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Eeyo posted:

i've been using an external dvd drive on my linux desktop (lmao).

somehow i think debian got poo poo confused and now refuses to auto-mount my external hard drives. it just pops up with some cryptic error message (monitor not supported) in the logs and then does nothing.

anyway, just wanted to drive-by complain about my problems

ok i know nobody cares about my problem, but it turns out it’s because i was on xfce and an update somehow uninstalled the packages the file manager uses to auto mount drives.

now it works again.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

my knee jerk reaction is wtf why can you have multiple types of - in a terminal that sounds like a recipe for pain.

but otoh having foreign languages able to have a text-based interface that works as well as it does when us dumb anglophones use ascii is also good. like do japanese people type out japanese characters on the command line?

but clearly whatever typesets the documentation needs to just work and not spit out weird dashes on examples because nobody is ever going to fix the documentation lmao.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Eeyo posted:

ok i know nobody cares about my problem, but it turns out it’s because i was on xfce and an update somehow uninstalled the packages the file manager uses to auto mount drives.

now it works again.

why does your distro/desktop not use udisks, it's been the standard for something like 10 years now

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

fresh_cheese posted:

no, people who use em dashes in examples in digital form, and tools which allow em dashes when the rendered target is an example are the problem

maybe if Courier only had the normal “ and - and everyone used it for examples thatd help?

no, it's stupider than that, they're replacing U+002D HYPHEN-MINUS (i.e. the - key on your keyboard, and the byte sequence that command line parsers recognize) with the visually identical U+2010 HYPHEN, not an en dash.

this is in spite of ~40 years of precedence where an 0x2D in the input file would result in an 0x2D displayed on the terminal, suitable for copying and pasting directly into the command line.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
no I think everyone agrees that it’s linux and Richard stallman’s fault

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fresh_cheese posted:

also gently caress whoever made smart “ a thing. do not loving change my “ to some other identical “ which also prevents example code from running.

your user experience improvements are a piece of poo poo

the QKS SmalltalkAgents environment treated straight quotes and double-quotes almost identically to typographers’ quotes and double-quotes

straight quotes and double-quotes got you String literals and comments, respectively, while typographers’ quotes and double-quotes got you StyledString literals and styled comments

and since this was OO and StyledString was a subclass of String everything just worked

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The_Franz posted:

the ios keyboard does it by default, and i think the default mac text editor does it too

NSTextView and the UIKit equivalent on iOS have supported automatic smart quotes, smart dashes, and so on for 15 to 20 years now

I don’t remember which Mac OS X added it but it was definitely called Mac OS X at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://www.phoronix.com/news/Debian-Repeats-Merged-Usr-Block

Lmfao. Every other distribution has had merged usr for what? 5+ years now?