Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Finally got locked out on Firefox. Was just clicking the go away buttons. What's the workaround again? I don't mind sponsors, I just mind ads so that whole rigamarole above seems a bit intensive for my needs.

- Clear cache.
- Install ublock origin. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

If you keep getting problems after that just follow the instructions in this post:

https://old.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/178yasm/youtube_antiadblock_and_ads_october_16_2023/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

hot date tonight! posted:

Just open your ubo settings, click purge cache and then update now. Make sure enhanced tracking protection is turned on in your FF settings too, I think it's on by default. If you have any other extensions that effect youtube you may need to disable them too.

Ah, thanks.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Does something like a Pi Hole blocking all ads at a higher level still work? Might be time to finally put one together.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Finally got locked out on Firefox. Was just clicking the go away buttons. What's the workaround again?

The workaround is to read a book or build a squirrel feeder

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

GABA ghoul posted:

The workaround is to read a book or build a squirrel feeder

But I use youtube carpentry tutorials

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just wing it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Does something like a Pi Hole blocking all ads at a higher level still work? Might be time to finally put one together.

I don't think so. From what I've read, pi hole blocks ad servers, and youtube hosts their own ads

naem
May 29, 2011

why do streaming and youtube all have two really loud annoying ads that play multiple times in the same video?

I get an advertiser has paid for X number of ad plays but it does not seem like a good strategy to make me hate their goods-and-or-services

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

naem posted:

why do streaming and youtube all have two really loud annoying ads that play multiple times in the same video?

I get an advertiser has paid for X number of ad plays but it does not seem like a good strategy to make me hate their goods-and-or-services

nobody in advertising / marketing actually knows how to make the number go up, they have just developed indicators of it over the years. one of these is ad spend.

naem
May 29, 2011

GolfHole posted:

nobody in advertising / marketing actually knows how to make the number go up, they have just developed indicators of it over the years. one of these is ad spend.

RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW

UH HUNH

RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW

DID YOU KNOW WITH TMOBILE YOU GET ELEVENTY-ONE ANYTIME MINUTES? THATS WHY WE ARE THE FASTEST IN THE NATION

HERE IS AN ATTRACTIVE MULTIRACIAL GROUP OF FRIENDS LAUGHING

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'd be more interested if ads were like this again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSt4E0pOb-0
Burger.
Chicken.
Hotdawg.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Croccers posted:

I'd be more interested if ads were like this again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSt4E0pOb-0
Burger.
Chicken.
Hotdawg.

Every so often this loving thing plays in my head including "boyyy things are lookin byooOOOOOOO!"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm not removing my ad blocker and I'm not going to watch any ads. Youtube/Google/Alphabet/whatever executives need to git gud at business rather than passing their incompetence off on us; not my problem.

naem
May 29, 2011

you tube ads might get be annoying but the you-tubers themselves presenting the ad inside the video can’t be blocked

I’ll tell you what is not annoying though is today’s sponsor Raid™️ Shadow Legends©️™️©️

did you guys itt (in this thread!) know that if you act now using code ForumsUserNaem you get get two FREE shawdow warriors and eleventy-one Shadow Points!!

I’m just a forums user like you and maybe you should check it out haha here is a photograph of a hot elf woman

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
I just use ublock origin and such and haven't had a single problem anywhere. I'm sure that'll change. https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl works great in my experience with it, although it can be kind of clunky to use. I'm a nerd, so I'm not sure if there's a good frontend for it. That too will probably die sometime in the next year, I'm guessing.

My partner swears by https://github.com/FreeTubeApp/FreeTube so that might be an option for some of you, until they inevitably go after API access to try and squeeze even more dollars out of their saturated market.

Make more physical media.

E:

naem posted:

you tube ads might get be annoying but the you-tubers themselves presenting the ad inside the video can’t be blocked

I’ll tell you what is not annoying though is today’s sponsor Raid™️ Shadow Legends©️™️©️

did you guys itt (in this thread!) know that if you act now using code ForumsUserNaem you get get two FREE shawdow warriors and eleventy-one Shadow Points!!

I’m just a forums user like you and maybe you should check it out haha here is a photograph of a hot elf woman

https://sponsor.ajay.app/ - doesn't get all of them but gets the supermajority of them in my experience.

Mudlark fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 18, 2023

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
use code rlstine at adamandeve.com to get 50% off a robot that jacks you off

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

R.L. Stine posted:

use code rlstine at adamandeve.com to get 50% off a robot that jacks you off

pretty sure this is a joke but, is it a joke? i could really use that

naem
May 29, 2011

here is a drug ad targeted at a very niche rare illness a small number of very elderly people have featuring happy grandparents in the park, bowling, holding hands with each other, and a long list of weird butthole related side effects and the fact that sudden death may occur

ok here it is again

and again

these grandparents seem to be having a better time than me maybe should ask my doctor about rrsxnsbrrbrhitan

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

naem posted:

here is a drug ad targeted at a very niche rare illness a small number of very elderly people have featuring happy grandparents in the park, bowling, holding hands with each other, and a long list of weird butthole related side effects and the fact that sudden death may occur

ok here it is again

and again

these grandparents seem to be having a better time than me maybe should ask my doctor about rrsxnsbrrbrhitan

fun fact many companies will spend millions of dollars on ads that everyone sees, but are designed for sometimes one single person specifically.

in this example, a doctor or a legislator or something.

naem
May 29, 2011

GolfHole posted:

fun fact many companies will spend millions of dollars on ads that everyone sees, but are designed for sometimes one single person specifically.

in this example, a doctor or a legislator or something.

this grandpa is feeding ducks, to the children (sudden butthole death may occur)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

naem posted:

Install SponsorBlock and it'll skip past that poo poo for you.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mudlark posted:

https://sponsor.ajay.app/ - doesn't get all of them but gets the supermajority of them in my experience.

Sponsor block relies on people adding the sonsor spot segments to their database. If you spot a sponsor, tske a moment to flag the start and end times with sponsor block so the next person just skips it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GolfHole posted:

pretty soon youll be able to gently caress a google robot so its not all bad i guess

I only gently caress robots with open source designs and made from fair trade materials. No longer will I support manufacturers and their proprietary, non-refillable simu-urine cartridges.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Pladdicus posted:

pretty sure this is a joke but, is it a joke? i could really use that

I've got good news. I'm not sure they would qualify as a "robot" but...

naem
May 29, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Install SponsorBlock and it'll skip past that poo poo for you.

but then I wouldn’t get to hear about Vessi™️©️ shoes

did you know that these waterproof shoes are made of 100% plastic??

almost as great as Ridge©️ wallets, I use them every day

act now and use code CUMCUMKUM

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Just imagine all the data a Google Fuckbot would gather about you and how many ads it would play

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You finish a vigorous fucksesh with your bot and it serves you adverts for cardio training and an antifungal bodywash.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
That data should defray the cost of the fuckbot to me. They should be paying me to gently caress this robot!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My new girlfriend as a service, Stalkr

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

My new girlfriend as a service, Stalkr

I wish to invest in your app *throws cash at Tunicate*. I'm going to be so rich.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

syntaxfunction posted:

Google already has your data it's totally fine. Same as we should just accept aggressive microtransactions and loot boxes in games. It's fine if the Kinect records your and stores the video silently. Sell your medical information. Have personalised ads surround you 24/7. It's all happening already why bother fighting it.

Weird defeatist attitudes considering how hard I've seen posts by the same people go while getting mad about less important poo poo.

Agreed, it’s totally possible to make tracking you not worth anyone’s time especially in the browser. You may have to give up on a few sites that don’t work right but oh well.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Sponsor block relies on people adding the sonsor spot segments to their database. If you spot a sponsor, tske a moment to flag the start and end times with sponsor block so the next person just skips it.

I'm doing my part :unsmith:

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
thinking about adding youtube dislike button extension since im having to optimize my experience anyway, does anyone know if it messes up the ublock origin workaround?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Do you think a person could, as an individual, get paid to insert ads into their regular ordinary life? Like they're just having a conversation with people and segue into sponsorship pitches, recording themselves doing it for proof.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

DrSunshine posted:

Do you think a person could, as an individual, get paid to insert ads into their regular ordinary life? Like they're just having a conversation with people and segue into sponsorship pitches, recording themselves doing it for proof.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

DrSunshine posted:

pretty sure a guy got paid to have ads tattooed on his forehead once

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I want to become a living advertisement, nothing less than a soulless organic shell for the engine of capitalism, an avatar of marketing in mind, body and soul.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

I want to become a living advertisement, nothing less than a soulless organic shell for the engine of capitalism, an avatar of marketing in mind, body and soul.

how familiar are you with this very subforum's thread on GarfieldEATS? because friend, do I ever have a learning tree for you to sit under

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I opened up YouTube in an incognito tab and it was incredibly depressing to see the garbage that normies enjoy. Nothing but Mr Beast and Dhar Mann as far as the eyes can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
This thing was from 8 years ago. Maybe in our cyberpunk future with all the VR and AI advancements, we'll have outlaws who can go around without seeing ANY ads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDPn7MGxPjs