Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ChairmanMauzer posted:

After having finished SG1 and Atlantis, I started re-watching Universe. Its slightly better than I remembered and the increased production value is welcome. Its nice to see some of the old SG1 faces make occasional appearances.

I'm not crazy about some of the love triangle plot-lines so far as they try and be more serious and adult in the vein what was sure to be then imitating Battlestar, but I think I will miss this show knowing that it ended on such a cliffhanger that will never be resolved.

I really wish someone would revive Stargate in some form. Its such a great IP.

There's been a bunch of rumbling that some version of new Stargate is coming, but other than that, no good details. Amazon has the rights, and there's been some behind the scenes activity, but all I've heard is the original folks behind the show aren't involved. Which sucks if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

redshirt posted:

Imagine being poor Daniel and she won't stop hitting on you.

Yes. Poor Daniel

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ChairmanMauzer posted:

After having finished SG1 and Atlantis, I started re-watching Universe. Its slightly better than I remembered and the increased production value is welcome. Its nice to see some of the old SG1 faces make occasional appearances.

I'm not crazy about some of the love triangle plot-lines so far as they try and be more serious and adult in the vein what was sure to be then imitating Battlestar, but I think I will miss this show knowing that it ended on such a cliffhanger that will never be resolved.

I really wish someone would revive Stargate in some form. Its such a great IP.

There's apparently comics that finish the story. I never touched them

redshirt posted:

There's been a bunch of rumbling that some version of new Stargate is coming, but other than that, no good details. Amazon has the rights, and there's been some behind the scenes activity, but all I've heard is the original folks behind the show aren't involved. Which sucks if true.

I'd rather they clean break reboot go back to goa'uld. They were the best enemy. Unless you mean no writers returning that would be sad.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

There's apparently comics that finish the story. I never touched them

I'd rather they clean break reboot go back to goa'uld. They were the best enemy. Unless you mean no writers returning that would be sad.

There's nothing concrete, except the brain trust behind the original shows (Brad Wright, Mallozi, etc) are not involved and have even been told they won't be involved. But that might be hearsay too.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

redshirt posted:

I just watched the episode where he blends with Selmak. Pretty interesting spin on the whole parasite/symbiote on what was beforehand a very clear villain (the Goa'uld).

And Daniel brings it up, but I'm not sure it's brought up again: Did Earth supply dying people to the Tok'ra for hosts? If the dying folks of Earth understood the deal and consented, it seems like a win-win honestly.

I'm pretty sure the Tok'ra either don't have any symbiotes spare, or have them available for Jack/Daniel/whoever, depending on what the plot demands.

On new Stargate, I think there's two options: a hard reboot with a shorter plot, get rid of the filler episodes, focus on the fight against the Goa'uld leading up to the confrontation with the Big Bad Anubis who's been running things behind the scenes.

The other option is bringing it all up to date. The problem with that is making a new enemy to make it all work, seeing as Earth is basically the galactic superpower now.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

redshirt posted:

Or just straight up hitting you.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

EvilHawk posted:

the Tok'ra have Jack/Daniel

someone should get them better whiskey

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

redshirt posted:

The black hole episode is on now.

RIP to that SG team, though technically they are still not dead I think.
I always wondered how that happened when they threw another gate that was dialed to the black hole into a star. I have to imagine a significant portion of the star going through the gate would not have been great for anyone near the black hole gate.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Fire Storm posted:

I always wondered how that happened when they threw another gate that was dialed to the black hole into a star. I have to imagine a significant portion of the star going through the gate would not have been great for anyone near the black hole gate.

Well being that they are in a black hole the sun would fall into the black hole as well. If I remember they said it destroyed that solar system.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I kind of forgot that during the Season 7 episode "Grace" they encounter a vastly superior alien vessel and as far as I can remember it just... never comes up again?

Like this is a ship that seems to be well beyond their or the Goa'uld capabilities, arguably Asgard level, and uhh yeah let's just forget about that

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

I kind of forgot that during the Season 7 episode "Grace" they encounter a vastly superior alien vessel and as far as I can remember it just... never comes up again?

Like this is a ship that seems to be well beyond their or the Goa'uld capabilities, arguably Asgard level, and uhh yeah let's just forget about that

They pop up again in Pegasus galaxy on SGA

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

I'm pretty sure the Tok'ra either don't have any symbiotes spare, or have them available for Jack/Daniel/whoever, depending on what the plot demands.

On new Stargate, I think there's two options: a hard reboot with a shorter plot, get rid of the filler episodes, focus on the fight against the Goa'uld leading up to the confrontation with the Big Bad Anubis who's been running things behind the scenes.

The other option is bringing it all up to date. The problem with that is making a new enemy to make it all work, seeing as Earth is basically the galactic superpower now.

The third option would be a direct continuation or reboot of the original film. Decaf Jack O’Neil and more serious Abysos drama. This would mean the setting would have no one but Jack/Daniel and a few spare kowalskis.

No Jaffa, Asgard, Unas etc. basically a clean slate except for a desert planet and two snarky leads.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I want a continuation for a new show, not a reboot. There's plenty of new stories they could tell. Set in current times but now Earth is much more like Starfleet, but the SG1 version of that.

Maybe focused on Alpha Site, or on a spaceship or fleet of ships.

There's too much history, too many great stories and characters just to start from scratch with the same premise.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

Don't forget about Muscles!

(how can someone's smile be so attractive and yet be so demonic)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Well, if we're going there, I present for evidence the episode where Vala goes to Mitchell's Class Reunion with him.

And then they go out shooting cans.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A new Stargate should be a soft reboot with continuity of the show, based around the trials and tribulations of the Stargate program going public. They were at one point planning on doing such a show, it's a shame they didn't, it's a cool idea with lots of story possibilities.

A full reboot would be stupid, the lore they've built is too valuable, like rebooting LOTR and ignoring everything that happens in the book outside of there being an evil dude who made a bunch of magic rings.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 24, 2023

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah no one would ever make a LOTR show that ignores existing continuity. That would be so stupid.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Amazon surely wouldn't make that same mistake twice. Surely. Surely?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

MGM make me your lead showrunner and game designer for Stargate thx

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

No matter what they have to ensure Chris Judge gets paid somehow. Let him narrate the bumpers or something.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

well why not posted:

No matter what they have to ensure Chris Judge gets paid somehow. Let him narrate the bumpers or something.

All the doors open and closes with "Indeed" in differing intonations. This is never addressed in the show.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

A new Stargate should be a soft reboot with continuity of the show, based around the trials and tribulations of the Stargate program going public. They were at one point planning on doing such a show, it's a shame they didn't, it's a cool idea with lots of story possibilities.

A full reboot would be stupid, the lore they've built is too valuable, like rebooting LOTR and ignoring everything that happens in the book outside of there being an evil dude who made a bunch of magic rings.

I like that idea. Whatever they chose, I just want to see a continuation of the overall story, in whatever fashion.

A full reboot would be bad. Starting from the beginning with the discovery of the Stargate with a new cast would be so tired, right from the start.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I fully agree but I think Emmerich or someone in his gang was making noises about a film continuation that ignored the series. I think with a Mayan influence.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

well why not posted:

I fully agree but I think Emmerich or someone in his gang was making noises about a film continuation that ignored the series. I think with a Mayan influence.

An old Kurt Russell playing an cranky old O'Neil (one L) with a ridiculous moustache works for me

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Emmerich was not a fan of the show (I don't think it was the show itself, but rather how the franchise got taken from him).

I have not heard him getting involved, but if he is, it will not be like the SG1 we know.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

redshirt posted:

Emmerich was not a fan of the show (I don't think it was the show itself, but rather how the franchise got taken from him).

I have not heard him getting involved, but if he is, it will not be like the SG1 we know.

Its probably a good thing he's not involved because most of his movies since Stargate have been poo poo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Its probably a good thing he's not involved because most of his movies since Stargate have been poo poo.

I LOVE Independence Day. It's like a perfect sci fi/disaster movie. Love it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

There are people who don't like Independence Day? :confused:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah the first one is amazing

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

redshirt posted:

I LOVE Independence Day. It's like a perfect sci fi/disaster movie. Love it.

They said 'most'. There are 11 others.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Biplane posted:

There are people who don't like Independence Day? :confused:

I just wanted a film where the good guys won in the end. But noooo we had to go all 90's nihilism and have aliens fail to kill all those annoying human people. :colbert:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Now think about it, why would someone make a machine that loops time?

It's a time loop machine! Who knows why?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Rappaport posted:

Now think about it, why would someone make a machine that loops time?

It's a time loop machine! Who knows why?

I believe time loops machines are mostly accidentally made in Sci fi shows when someone fucks up there time travel machine. I guess the loop is sorta just a fail safe or unintentionally era and time restarts at last known good saved backup.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

dr_rat posted:

I believe time loops machines are mostly accidentally made in Sci fi shows when someone fucks up there time travel machine. I guess the loop is sorta just a fail safe or unintentionally era and time restarts at last known good saved backup.

Accidentally pressing quick save right before you die

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

My favorite part of SG1 were the Goa’uld and the Replicators. That episode where they encountered the humanoid Replicators the first time was creepy as gently caress. The show dropped in quality after both storylines of these species wrapped up in season 8. There was also that one episode where that species sterilized humans without them knowing IIRC?

But what made this show so good was the casting, much like TNG, DS9, and the X-Files. gently caress, there was nothing like 90s TV.

If a new Stargate show is made they better not gently caress it up.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That episode was “2001”

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Zadok Allen posted:

My favorite part of SG1 were the Goa’uld and the Replicators. That episode where they encountered the humanoid Replicators the first time was creepy as gently caress. The show dropped in quality after both storylines of these species wrapped up in season 8.

I can't really fault them for this - iirc, writers/actors/staff (everyone but the money people) felt that they were lucky enough to get renewed for a season 8, and that there was no chance of going for a season 9, let alone a movie. RDA had also gone part-time (he had been feeling this since...end of s6?) and Atlantis had just started their first season and seemed like it was going to be pretty good. Why would the producers pay for two series in the same franchise at the same time?! (I know, crazy right)

So they just said "gently caress it" and decided to end up finishing up all the big plotlines - Anubis, Thor, Replicators, Jacob/Selmak, etc - all had a really satisfying ending, and I think all of the fans were like "holy gently caress, we finally got a proper ending to a sci-fi show". And producers don't like that, so they said "hey, here's the cash for s9+s10, make it work".

I can't imagine being a writer at that time :smith: ?? :unsmith: ??

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I can't really fault them for this - iirc, writers/actors/staff (everyone but the money people) felt that they were lucky enough to get renewed for a season 8, and that there was no chance of going for a season 9, let alone a movie. RDA had also gone part-time (he had been feeling this since...end of s6?) and Atlantis had just started their first season and seemed like it was going to be pretty good. Why would the producers pay for two series in the same franchise at the same time?! (I know, crazy right)

So they just said "gently caress it" and decided to end up finishing up all the big plotlines - Anubis, Thor, Replicators, Jacob/Selmak, etc - all had a really satisfying ending, and I think all of the fans were like "holy gently caress, we finally got a proper ending to a sci-fi show". And producers don't like that, so they said "hey, here's the cash for s9+s10, make it work".

I can't imagine being a writer at that time :smith: ?? :unsmith: ??
While season 8, and especially 9-10 are certainly different, and perhaps not the same quality as 1-7, they are still fun with some great stories and episodes.

I've come to like the addition of Mitchell and Vala. They don't replace RDA, but as their own, new thing, it's fun.

We also got the episode "200" out of it, so it's all worth it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’m on s7 now, I hadn’t seen much past the first few seasons. One of the biggest takeaways is how drat good RDA is. It’d be impossible to replace that flavour of charisma. One of the best to do it and I’m glad he has retired rich to go get fat and watch every hockey game ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

well why not posted:

and watch every hockey game ever.

He kept on going to the rinks, but no one had ever seen any hockey at those rinks, so he'd just sit there all afternoon having a relaxing drink.