Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Also the first one is worth poo poo

Fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I don't know if it's kosher to ask this here, so if it's not I'll remove the question: I am afflicted with living in Europe, so I can't access tubi. I have been reading up a little on VPNs and how they can help with that, but I have no idea which to choose. I'm willing to pay money but every search result recommending me one seems suspiciously like an ad site for their VPN service. Does anyone here have experience with stuff like that?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm in Canada and use (and pay for) Express VPN for all my VPN needs and it works for everything I've thrown at it which is FITE, Netflix, Disney, Shudder, Tubi, and Channel 4 in the UK. I hear NordVPN is also decent.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm in Canada and use (and pay for) Express VPN for all my VPN needs and it works for everything I've thrown at it which is FITE, Netflix, Disney, Shudder, Tubi, and Channel 4 in the UK. I hear NordVPN is also decent.

Thanks, I'll go with Express VPN as well, then.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Jeepers Creepers is a bad movie and I say that as someone who defended Dream Child like 2 days ago.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

TheBizzness posted:

Jeepers Creepers is a bad movie and I say that as someone who defended Dream Child like 2 days ago.

It has a cool creature design. That's about it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

It has a cool creature design. That's about it.

The first act is really well done too, very tense. Where they see him toss the body, then circle back and Long goes down the pipe, all that is good.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Levantine posted:

Washed the bad taste out of my mouth with a rewatch of The Autopsy of Jane Doe which is always a good time. Every rewatch makes me appreciate it more. It's such a tightly paced little film that doesn't waste any time but also doesn't leave much on the table.

I love how tight the script is on The Autopsy of Jane Doe and how creative they got on what essentially was a bottle episode in a morgue.

TheBizzness posted:

I remember the Jeepers Creepers craze of like two months because the opening scene in it was like the most iconic thing high schoolers could relate to. The rest of the movie, especially knowing the backstory on the director, is a snore fest with really creepy (not good creepy) undertones.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Basebf555 posted:

The first act is really well done too, very tense. Where they see him toss the body, then circle back and Long goes down the pipe, all that is good.

The only real major problem is the magical black woman.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Basebf555 posted:

Watch the first few minutes, dangit.

The Hausu Usher posted:

Don't watch more but check out the Unsolved Mysteries story that the Jeepers Creepers opening literally just copies wholesale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Xn-R91Ys4

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Terrified slaps. Will watch anything the director makes in the future.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I’m watching The Birds for the first time and the first half hour has one of the craziest stalker sequences I’ve seen but I think it’s supposed to be romantic.

The sixties were a weird time

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Bought Lake Mungo on sale and it turned up today, so after seeing someone else mention it I put it on tonight. Well, it was ok and while I certainly didn't hate it, I couldn't fully get into it. It was not what I was expecting - I had no idea about the mockumentary format - but the "interviewee" performances felt very believable, and interesting to read they were improvised.

I rolled my eyes a bit at the 'dark figure seen in the background' as it seemed a bit hokey, but then they subverted that, twice. It did keep me on my toes whether or not it was going to include anything supernatural but Alice's camera phone footage at Lake Mungo didn't quite work for me - I felt like it needed a couple more moments like hearing Alice's last session with the psychic . I'm surprised though that the director hasn't made much since.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

The Hausu Usher posted:

Don't watch more but check out the Unsolved Mysteries story that the Jeepers Creepers opening literally just copies wholesale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Xn-R91Ys4

No, this is the right one, with Robert Stack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkDickqE49o&t=1681s

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Disposable Scud posted:

Terrified slaps. Will watch anything the director makes in the future.

I also really enjoyed it, kind of gave a Hellraiser vibe with the cast of other dimensional monsters.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I love that people are giving love to Terrified, it's one of my favorites and it felt like a sleeper for a real long time there.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Comparing it to Hellraiser means I absolutely know I'm gonna watch it tomorrow.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm just into Cozy horror right now so I'm mostly watching stuff Pre-1975. Like Devil Rides Out and Quatermass. Hammer Horror is cozy horror to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Comparing it to Hellraiser means I absolutely know I'm gonna watch it tomorrow.

Don't expect it to be in the same ballpark in terms of goop

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Yeah, the Hellraiser comparison is less 'goop' and more 'there are things from another dimension in your house and they loving hate you'.

Honestly, Terrified is worth watching because even if you end up hating the movie, there's at least two or three EXCELLENT visual moments that are worth the price of admission.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Carpet posted:

Bought Lake Mungo on sale and it turned up today, so after seeing someone else mention it I put it on tonight. Well, it was ok and while I certainly didn't hate it, I couldn't fully get into it. It was not what I was expecting - I had no idea about the mockumentary format - but the "interviewee" performances felt very believable, and interesting to read they were improvised.

I rolled my eyes a bit at the 'dark figure seen in the background' as it seemed a bit hokey, but then they subverted that, twice. It did keep me on my toes whether or not it was going to include anything supernatural but Alice's camera phone footage at Lake Mungo didn't quite work for me - I felt like it needed a couple more moments like hearing Alice's last session with the psychic . I'm surprised though that the director hasn't made much since.

From what I understand the director never intended for Lake Mungo to really be a horror film. He wanted to tell an Australian culture oriented story and recognized that Australian horror got budgets:

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/things-that-go-bump-in-the-outback-20070816-gdqven.html posted:

The recent revival in Australian horror really comes back to Greg McLean's Wolf Creek (2005). Joel Anderson, the writer and director of the supernatural mystery Lake Mungo, puts it starkly: "One of the main reasons that Lake Mungo exists is because of Wolf Creek. That film had a big profile, and it made money, and film always follows money."

Lake Mungo, from the writer-director Joel Anderson, has also benefited from the IndiVision scheme. It tells of the drowning death of a 16-year-old girl, how the family copes with the tragedy, and the investigation into subsequent sightings of the girl. A line from the film - "Whenever someone dies, there's always a ghost story never far behind" - sums it up well.

Anderson did not set out to make a genre film, but has enjoyed the opportunities of working within genre. "Australia has often made self-consciously Australian films, which can be inhibiting. Horror movies, though, are really B-movies. If we can inherit the vitality associated with B-movies, then questions of Australian-ness are absorbed into the story. The question takes care of itself."

As for the reason behind the worldwide interest in horror films, Anderson is clear. "Right now, the world itself is a bit of a horror movie."

It makes sense because Lake Mungo's reveal seems to be more of a shock that the girl existed and is in this state rather than a gotcha jump scare.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Basebf555 posted:

Don't expect it to be in the same ballpark in terms of goop

Very few things are, sadly.

But if it's similar vibes, that still scratches the itch.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Cobweb is a weird flick. The final act goes pretty hard but the pacing is all off over the whole movie and then it ends on a really off note.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

There is a hilarious drone scene in the season premiere of Thirty Coins.

This show just gives no fucks at all.

It’s just like “Yeah, this show is apeshit crazy. Deal with it.”

I have never in my life seen anything so unapologetic about how over the top it is.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 24, 2023

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Doltos posted:

It makes sense because Lake Mungo's reveal seems to be more of a shock that the girl existed and is in this state rather than a gotcha jump scare.
I haven't seen it in a while but my take on Lake Mungo was that the last reveal was just as fake as the first time around. It felt really on the nose the way the family conveniently finds the phone, I think off camera even? For me it's a movie about a family falling to process grief and media that's enabling them in a really sad way. The end is really haunting to me, and I think is a great use of what ghost imagery really means.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MrMojok posted:

I have never in my life seen anything so unapologetic about how over the top it is.

OK now we even have what look like Cenobites. I watched the first season and even I am like “what in the gently caress is going on”

Which is exactly the point of this show. To make you feel that way at least once per episode.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

gently caress yeah cannot wait for more 30 Coins. hope Pope Paulie G socks it to us

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MrMojok posted:

Is this season two or one?

The first episode of the first season was insane, just -- as you say -- unapologetically apeshit. But then the next two or three episodes decided to go nowhere very loving slowly and I gave up on it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

TheBizzness posted:

I've always said that it holds the #1 spot of "whiplash between really intriguing first act and absolute drop off a cliff when the monster is revealed".

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I watched Titane last night, and I haven't been this completely bowled over by a horror movie since Mandy and this completely blown away by any film since maybe American Graffiti or Mulholland Drive. I feel like a changed human being. gently caress that was good. I didn't want to clog up the challenge thread with deeply personal rambling thoughts so I saved them for Letterboxd but holy hell I am buzzing. No wonder it placed so highly on the thread's best list. One of the best movies I've watched this year, and I've watched some really goddamn good movies this year.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

How is Shudder for subtitles? I'm thinking of subbing up but my partner is partially deaf and subtitles for most of the content would be a must have.

Here in the UK one of our major streaming platforms, Now TV, basically doesn't bother with subtitles for even current shows, so it's always something I'm wary of.

It's a bummer to both get excited for a show or film and then realize it's unwatchable.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I use subtitles pretty much all the time and can only remember a few instances of not having them available on Shudder. I don't have Shudder anymore but I would say that "subtitles for most of the content" wouldn't be a problem

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
When Freddy gets pulled into the real world...how does he get back to the dream world? Hold someone's hand as they go to sleep?

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

WHY BONER NOW posted:

When Freddy gets pulled into the real world...how does he get back to the dream world? Hold someone's hand as they go to sleep?

He dies and comes back as a dream demon again.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I like to think that it is an effect that gradually wears off and he slips back into the dream world by himself.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Saw X time

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

WHY BONER NOW posted:

He's never actually been pulled into the real world and defeated. In every movie where that happens it's actually still a dream and the whole ordeal is being orchestrated by Freddy so that everyone will think he's dead and he can take a vacation. It's how he avoids burnout and maintains passion for his work.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol "like a life coach"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

In the first movie, after losing his power, he just sorta fades away. The other times he dies in the real world, he gets burnt to ashes or blown to smithereens. I assume that when he enters the real world of his own volition, he can just fade back into dreams whenever he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So Freddy vs Jason is basically a Freddy movie in tone? I saw it as a lil kid and now I'm reading Slash of the Titans so I was curious. Keep in mind I'm a Freddy's Dead lover so if it's just a corny fun Freddy movie I'm all about that. Might rewatch FvJ and check out Lords of Salem (even though I hate Rob Zombie when he's in like obnoxious Devil's Rejects mode, it doesnt seem like that in this case...he's just so in love with his stupid gang of redneck murderers and imo theyre super loving lame).

and, Robert??? You're just naming reasons Freddy's Dead is loving dope