Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Echophonic posted:

all cosmere spoilers incl. stormlit man

I am really curious what the "torment" will be for Rysn. It seems likely that it's stopping you from doing things that are anathema to the power it represents -- so Sig/Hoid's probably is powerfully oriented towards preserving life such that it cuts off your ability to harm it.

What kind of spiritual consequence will one that's all about Change have? Can it somehow kick in and stop you from being too static and unchanging/affect your personality to make you less of a person that would be like that? Would the Lord Ruler not be able to hold it and Preservation, or, if he held it, would he just not be able to remain the kind of guy that spent thousands of years refusing to allow change?

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

eke out posted:

I am really curious what the "torment" will be for Rysn. It seems likely that it's stopping you from doing things that are anathema to the power it represents -- so Sig/Hoid's probably is powerfully oriented towards preserving life such that it cuts off your ability to harm it.

What kind of spiritual consequence will one that's all about Change have? Can it somehow kick in and stop you from being too static and unchanging/affect your personality to make you less of a person that would be like that? Would the Lord Ruler not be able to hold it and Preservation, or, if he held it, would he just not be able to remain the kind of guy that spent thousands of years refusing to allow change?

Rysn is a very good host for Change because she doesn't want things to stay the same. She's always on the lookout for the next horizon, the next trade, the next innovation to make herself more independent.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
(Continuing full Cosmere spoiler-chat)

eke out posted:

I wonder if someone even could carry a Dawnshard and a Shard of Adonalsium at the same time. The former is spiritually dense enough to warp your Identity and Connection and I'm sure a full Shard is even heavier.

CapnAndy posted:

Rysn is a very good host for Change because she doesn't want things to stay the same. She's always on the lookout for the next horizon, the next trade, the next innovation to make herself more independent.

That's a good point. Makes sense that if you carry enough Connection to the Command the Dawnshard represents, you wouldn't notice it as much as Sigzil does.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 20, 2023

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Echophonic posted:

That's a good point. Makes sense that if you carry enough Connection to the Command the Dawnshard represents, you wouldn't notice it as much as Sigzil does.

all cosmere continued

Yeah, that is a good point and it may just be right: Sig is a soldier and Hoid is, well, he helped kill God and is definitely willing to kill untold numbers of people if it's what he thinks is right. Maybe their torment is because of this opposition and someone like Rysn that loves progress and change wouldn't be subject to anything.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Echophonic posted:

(Continuing full Cosmere spoiler-chat)

I wonder if someone even could carry a Dawnshard and a Shard of Adonalsium at the same time. The former is spiritually dense enough to warp your Identity and Connection and I'm sure a full Shard is even heavier.
Can? Sure, don't see why not. Should? Oh, God no. Dawnshards are planet-crackers and the Sleepless freak out at the thought of Rysn having Investiture in any amount, even just what budding Radiants get. A Shard with that much power would be an apocalypse.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

eke out posted:

All Cosmere
Would the Lord Ruler not be able to hold it and Preservation, or, if he held it, would he just not be able to remain the kind of guy that spent thousands of years refusing to allow change?

All Cosmere
I would wager that Rysn's Dawnshard would allow the wielder of both to change the nature of the Preservation shard

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mordiceius posted:

Oh totally. It was probably just because there was only one person with powers in the scene that it felt like that word lost all meaning when I heard it for the 100th time in 30 seconds.

It doesn't help when you have no context for what a Lashing even is and I remember reading the opening and thinking "oh since this thing is capitalized it must be important magic", which is true for all Sanderson books, Alcatraz included.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Louisgod posted:

It doesn't help when you have no context for what a Lashing even is and I remember reading the opening and thinking "oh since this thing is capitalized it must be important magic",

And then he went and made intent and Intent separate magical concepts.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Louisgod posted:

It doesn't help when you have no context for what a Lashing even is and I remember reading the opening and thinking "oh since this thing is capitalized it must be important magic", which is true for all Sanderson books, Alcatraz included.

I mean, the term seemed pretty intuitive to me, they're called lashings because you're binding two things together.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
And here I was thinking rum and the lash was supposed to be a good time.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

And here I was thinking rum and the lash was supposed to be a good time.

A very different good time, depending on which definition of lashing you're using!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

NinjaDebugger posted:

I mean, the term seemed pretty intuitive to me, they're called lashings because you're binding two things together.

Oh for sure, just saying I can understand being confused by it though I felt Sanderson did a great job with the opening scene.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

CapnAndy posted:

Also, pik, Edgedancer is fun, hope you like Lift. Because if you don't we can't be friends.

I have awesome news.

Edgedancer

This novella was a blast. Lift is so fun, chaotic, and spunky but has some deeper moments when you scratch the surface. I especially enjoyed the one chapter that wasn't from Lift's POV because you got the full headspinning effect of her Awesomeness from Captain Hauka.

When I saw the intro image I thought it was a weirdly stylized version of the shattered plains, but it turns out that the city of Yeddaw in Tashikk took the idea of the chasms and thought "what if we designed these to be livable?". Honestly, not a completely terrible idea so long as the drainage never ever fucks up.

I don't know if the information is especially new, but her thinking and talking about her wish to not change from the Nightwatcher is at least (nearly) outright stated. I suppose that would make the "curse" that whatever she eats is converted into Investiture, which seems like a second boon since she's a Radiant now. There was some weird stuff like Wyndle mentioning she was partially stuck in the Cognitive realm, and Lift noticing that she actually is changing somewhat.

Speaking of Wyndle, he's a cultivationspren, which means both of the shards Honor and Cultivation have a spren in the ten Radiant Orders, to go with liespren and (I think) highspren for the Skybreakers. I also felt a bit for Wyndle when he was talking about the cobbler, Ym. I wonder if that was Wyndle who saw him die. I think it was also very interesting that a spren of Cultivation wouldn't want to be a sword, it reminds me of Preservation being unable to stab Elend himself.

There were a few things I was able to pick out ahead of time, The Stump being the Radiant was fairly straightforward. Her selling of spheres was like a copy and paste job from Teft keeping Kaladin's spheres infused. I'm glad she lived, though I'm curious if she'll join up with the gang in Urithiru. It seems like she can heal people like Lift, but doesn't have a creationspren, which I believe makes her the same Radiant Order as Renarin, Truthwatchers. I will have to keep an eye out for Renarin describing Glys.

I was also pretty comfortable with Szeth being around, especially with Nightblood. I'm glad Nightblood liked Lift, but I wasn't really surprised. Szeth does seem to be going through it, both with his own faith and whatever this afterimage thing is. I suspect Nightblood siphoning investiture off of him?

There was also some stuff I got extremely wrong, like Nalan being "healed" by Lift. Whether she did that with some Progression to heal his brain or with the power of hugs, second chances, and showing him all the stormform Parshendi, I'm not exactly sure. That's a huge sigh of relief either way, since he was hunting down Radiants. I am suspicious of Ishar though. Nalan said that Ishar gave him info about the Parshendi being remnants, and also Ishar was the one who convinced the others to betray the Oathpact in the WoK prelude.

The creepy old man, Arclo, the Sleepless, the man made of "cremlings" or whatever they happened to be. Did not see that coming. Don't think I could have. I was wondering if he was somehow Hoid having made a full makeover. But sure, he's some new race of people who are a voltron of little bugs or whatever. He namedropped Axies, is he also a Sleepless?

I also sort of expected Kaladin to show up in Yeddaw after Lift had resolved everything, to recruit her. Or at least a spanreed message from Shallan somehow. I figured they might have heard of the things Lift did in Azir with Gawx. At least Lift is headed vaguely in the direction of Urithiru.

On to Oathbringer!

Progress so far:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

I have awesome news.

Edgedancer

On to Oathbringer!

Progress so far:

Edgedancer and Words of Radiance spoilers: Fun exercise, now go back and look for suspicious or not so suspicious cremlings in the books so far...

Lift is awesome. People who don't like Lift are devoid of humor.

I'm again metaphorically biting my tongue, given some of your comments. How very perceptive, even if you aren't on the right track for all of them.

But I'm beyond excited that you're going to tackle Oathbringer next. The book is soo good. Very much including the flashbacks. And with your comments on both WoR and Edgedancer, you'll surely not be surprised by some of the twists, but some will blow your mind.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Torrannor posted:

Edgedancer and Words of Radiance spoilers: Fun exercise, now go back and look for suspicious or not so suspicious cremlings in the books so far...

Lift is awesome. People who don't like Lift are devoid of humor.

I'm again metaphorically biting my tongue, given some of your comments. How very perceptive, even if you aren't on the right track for all of them.

But I'm beyond excited that you're going to tackle Oathbringer next. The book is soo good. Very much including the flashbacks. And with your comments on both WoR and Edgedancer, you'll surely not be surprised by some of the twists, but some will blow your mind.

Edgedancer/WoR:
Cool, now I'm wondering if all cremlings are just Sleepless. The one Mraize killed with his blow dart? The ones that end up in Rock's stew? The weird ones Rysn sees in the west(which might be the same one Nalan used to drain Lift's Stormlight in the WoR interlude)? All creepy hive mind guys?? And really, what are the Sleepless up to? They're watching the Radiants, they're really not to be hosed with, and they have long lifespans, but what do they want?

I'm also curious when some of the people I've learned more about from the books I've read since WoR show up in bigger ways in the Roshar side of things. Khriss and Nazh? The Ire? Kelsier and Marsh?!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

Edgedancer/WoR:
Cool, now I'm wondering if all cremlings are just Sleepless. The one Mraize killed with his blow dart? The ones that end up in Rock's stew? The weird ones Rysn sees in the west(which might be the same one Nalan used to drain Lift's Stormlight in the WoR interlude)? All creepy hive mind guys?? And really, what are the Sleepless up to? They're watching the Radiants, they're really not to be hosed with, and they have long lifespans, but what do they want?

I'm also curious when some of the people I've learned more about from the books I've read since WoR show up in bigger ways in the Roshar side of things. Khriss and Nazh? The Ire? Kelsier and Marsh?!

WoR spoiler:Reread WoR's epilogue. That's the most obvious one, but there are others. It's a fun game!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

pik_d posted:

On to Oathbringer!

Progress so far:

Edgedancer -> Oathbringer -> Dawnshard is so good.

Dawnshard should've been in ROW and it'd be 100x better

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Barreft posted:

Edgedancer -> Oathbringer -> Dawnshard is so good.

Dawnshard should've been in ROW and it'd be 100x better

Someone mentioned if you swapped out flashbacks in RoW with all of Dawnshard it would have been a great book. However that doesn't fit thematically with each one having a character to focus on that shows growth in the main story juxtaposed to their flashback. I'm glad he didn't do this.

Oathbringer/RoW/Book 5 spoilers Brandon kind of painted himself into a corner. He mentioned that he's shuffled which book has which flashback and even considered Szeth for book 4 and I think Venli/Eshonai for 3 originally but it didn't flow well.

What I don't understand is why he felt a need to have Eshonai flashbacks at all when she died two books earlier. To say it gives Venli's current arc more punch feels a little shoehorned for me.

I just feel there are other characters that could have gotten a flashback instead of Eshonai. Who, you ask? Maybe Navani. I don't know. I'm just Monday morning quarterbacking. Venli could still have her character growth with just her POVs with some tweaking to reminisce on past interactions.

But maybe this is a Book 10 of wheel of time thing for me where I hated it when it was released but on reread isn't as bad/fleshes out the world more.

Finally, a question to expose my ignorance: for a long time I thought Timbre WAS Eshonai, but that's just the spren that Eshonai would have bonded with and it went to Venli after her death a la Wit and Elhokar, right?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I think if I would speculate (WoR spoilers I think? WoBs) it is because all of Venli's parts were originally planned to be Eshonai's parts before the editor convinced him that there was no way to have Eshonai survive without obnoxious plot armor. I disagree with that, but we're living with the consequences a decade later

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Finally, a question to expose my ignorance: for a long time I thought Timbre WAS Eshonai, but that's just the spren that Eshonai would have bonded with and it went to Venli after her death a la Wit and Elhokar, right?

Yup, that's it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

And even when Wax fights, he wasn't wholly Pushes. Other things happened.

Eh, I don’t see much difference. A lot of those action scenes were just Pushing off stuff repeatedly, and it was boring to read. It’s like if you wrote a book about Spiderman and described every web swing in detail.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
A fascinating thing about Way of Kings is how directionless the book feels at times. I'm not necessarily saying such as a criticism, but more of an observation. Out of the three main protagonists, one has a defined goal, one has a vague goal, and one is just existing.

I'm cruising through part 4 currently and I still have no idea what I should expect from the ending of this book or if any of these characters are even going to interact before the book is over.

I feel like, in most Sanderson books, the Sanderlanche is full of surprises, but I will at least have some vague idea of what the climax should be or what at least we're working toward. With this, I don't.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Hmm. Shallan has a very defined goal, and more or less had it since her introduction. Dalinar also has a defined goal? Fulfilling the Vengeance Pact? Bringing his brother's killers to justice? I guess I agree that this is a more vague goal than Shallan has.

Kaladin is a slave, so him "just existing" is appropriate, I think.

But you're right, at the point you are, it's not obvious how they will interact going forward.

You will recognize the Sanderlanche coming up, it won't be long now. Afterwards, the characters will obviously be in pretty different places (I'm not talking about location), and it will be far more obvious how their storylines will intersect going forward.

WoK clearly lives from the reader being interested in this strange world, and being invested in the characters. The story itself makes a big jump in quality in Words of Radiance, although imho WoK's story is not bad by any means.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I never felt WoK was directionless as it was mysterious in that there's a lot to the world that doesn't get clarified until later books, knowing there are some very good reasons for Sanderson holding back. I'd agree with Kaladin being directionless though that's the whole point of his arc in WoK; he lost his brother, lost his freedom, and is effectively sentenced to death to (WoR spoilers, I think) cover up how he bested a shardbearer and the blade was stolen by a lighteye. I LOVED how WoK ended and set up WoR.

Also, got my SP4 package the other day, I like how they painted the external pages black, and hell yeah Kaladin pin.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Hmm. Shallan has a very defined goal, and more or less had it since her introduction. Dalinar also has a defined goal? Fulfilling the Vengeance Pact? Bringing his brother's killers to justice? I guess I agree that this is a more vague goal than Shallan has.

Dalinar's conflict in WoK is sort of man-vs-himself. He is slipping more into eccentricity vs his peers, his sons think he's going nuts, and he wants to bang the king's mom

e: but Kaladin's moping is definitely interminable

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Speaking of Dalinar, he has to be the pin for the Stormlight box for November, yeah? We already have Shallan and Kaladin.

I'm leaning either Kelsier or Brandon himself for the last box.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

mewse posted:

Dalinar's conflict in WoK is sort of man-vs-himself. He is slipping more into eccentricity vs his peers, his sons think he's going nuts, and he wants to bang the king's mom

e: but Kaladin's moping is definitely interminable

Yeah, absolutely.

Torrannor posted:

WoK clearly lives from the reader being interested in this strange world, and being invested in the characters. The story itself makes a big jump in quality in Words of Radiance, although imho WoK's story is not bad by any means.

I think this is why WoK isn't making the strongest first impression to me. I like worldbuilding and such, but I prefer character-focus over world-focus. I still hold up The Final Empire as Sanderson's best book and the book that strikes the best balance in this. We're given peeks into the world, but, honestly, we know very little about Scadrial in that book. We learn enough to help us understand the characters.

Don't get me wrong, Sanderson doesn't spend endless pages in world building like someone such as Tolkien ("let me go on for pages about the history of the tower on that hill. no that will never be important to this story") or Umberto Eco ("How about 10 pages describing the tiniest details and history of this stained glass window? It isn't important to the story, but I need to show off that I'm a historian.")

I think a lot of this goes back to the "Kaladin has depression" but manifests as "Kaladin is directionless."

Shallan's journey starts off with her wanting to save/provide for her family. It then develops into her being torn between her family and her new life as a scholar. That's interesting! That's compelling! You can imagine the directions the story can take.

Dalinar's journey is both internal and external. He is struggling to know if his visions are real or delusions from guilt. He also has his obligations to his kingdom. Again, many directions this can take.

Kaladin's journey is a lot of him being depressed and feeling guilt "I couldn't save them all. Why do they always die and I still live?" depression seems like a 'core feature' of Kaladin so who knows if he'll get past it. Other than that his journey is... not be a slave? And then what?

With both Shallan and Dalinar, it feels like there are multiple paths that would make sense for them to take based on where they are. For Kaladin, he hasn't expressed any desires beyond the immediate moment and you could put a gun to my head and ask me "Where does Kaladin see himself in five years?" and I would not be able to tell you. For the other two, I could come up with multiple possible answers.

I don't think it's bad to have a depressed/directionless character (it worked for Sazed in Hero of Ages), but I also think it drags down the story when they're the main focal character.

Gods I feel like I'm constantly poo poo talking this book and I want y'all to know that I am actually enjoying it. At the current point, it is a lower tier Sanderson book for me. Not because it is bad, but because it leans into the things that I personally dislike. Who knows though, the Sanderlanche might completely change my opinion.

I feel like stuff should start happening soon. Kaladin just had his WTF moment of absorbing Stormlight and sticking a coinpouch to a barrel.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Once Kaladin even partially gets his poo poo together, he's way less grating. He's never, like, fun (his supporting cast covers that for his dour rear end), but I think he's my favorite of the viewpoint characters.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Louisgod posted:

I'd agree with Kaladin being directionless though that's the whole point of his arc in WoK; he lost his brother, lost his freedom, and is effectively sentenced to death to (WoR spoilers, I think) cover up how he bested a shardbearer and the blade was stolen by a lighteye.
WoK spoilers, for the record. All of that is covered by the time Kaladin's flashbacks end.

Mordiceius posted:

For Kaladin, he hasn't expressed any desires beyond the immediate moment and you could put a gun to my head and ask me "Where does Kaladin see himself in five years?" and I would not be able to tell you.
That is because Kaladin is at the absolute bottom of a black pit of depression and I think right now if you told him he'd be alive in five years, Kaladin would ask why you'd say something so incredibly hurtful to him. Right now just making it through each day with enough strength left to face the idea of having to do it again tomorrow is taking absolutely every ounce of strength he has.

Again, I totally agree with you that WoK is a slog, it bounced me off Stormlight Archive for nearly a year, but that is an accurate read of Kaladin's character.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I have friends who struggle with depression, and they ate up Kaladin and his arc because it so closely mirrored their own experiences. (Not so much the “slavery and suicide run” thing, but you know what I mean.) I get how frustrating Kaladin can be when he’s at a low point, but drat if that doesn’t make his high points so much better by contrast.

Like Malazan, Wheel of Time and numerous other epic fantasy series, Stormlight has an ensemble cast rather than a single narrative viewpoint. I don’t see it as a problem to not resonate with a character when you have so many different options shown to you. Except Lift. People who don’t like Lift are objectively wrong. :colbert:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Grundulum posted:

Except Lift. People who don’t like Lift are objectively wrong. :colbert:

:hai:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Grundulum posted:

I have friends who struggle with depression, and they ate up Kaladin and his arc because it so closely mirrored their own experiences.

Stormlight's focus on mental illness is a level of normalization I think we can all benefit from.

As someone whose depression was as dark as Kaladin's, at about the same age (late teens/early 20s), it's quite vindicating to see such struggles put on paper. Sure, his life is nothing like mine, but his thoughts and feelings closely mirror my own from that stage in my life. He stood atop a chasm. I stood atop a bridge, watching an approaching train below. We both chose to step back as much out of spite as anything noble.

I'm now twice the age Kaladin was at the start of WoK, and it's taken me nearly that entire time to get to a point where I feel stable. It's been a few years since my last major regression. I have structured my life to avoid the things that trigger my darkest feelings. I have friends, family, hobbies, and a career I'm quite proficient at. It will likely never be gone, but it is under control. I have matured enough to know the signs that I'm starting to struggle, and that same maturity lets me know it's OK to ask for help before it gets bad.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Oathbringer Prologue & Chapters 1-17 (1st half of Part 1)

So every prologue is going to be at this same treaty signing turned assassination, got it. Love it. Eshonai was quite a bit more naive than she is now. Six years of war will do that to you I guess. And Gavilar, it sounds like he was in line with what the Envisagers wanted to do, jumpstart the return of the Heralds by bringing back the Voidbringers. Seems like all these guys are just ignoring, or ignorant of the fact, that the Heralds and Radiants are supposed to be around first so they can help prepare? Forcing them to return by bringing back the Voidbringers is... a poor decision. It also feels like some divine manipulation, similar to Ruin and Preservation pulling strings over on Scadrial.

I swear to god I was so excited for these epigraphs until I realized that the author studied under Kwaan for verbosity. Based on the mentions of heresy, Shadesmar, the fact that others thought they were dead, and the striving for brutal truth, this feels like Jasnah. So not only is she taking after Kwaan's wordiness, but also the third set of epigraphs in the series is from one of the modern day crew. If I'm correct. The mention that they experienced something worse than death is the only thing I can't immediately explain. That sounds like "that place", Ashyn, where the Heralds went between Desolations. I think Jasnah could have gone there, but why? I'm excited to get beyond the preface, which hopefully happens in Part 2 of the book if not sooner.

Dalinar has a lot going on and I love reading about it. He's manipulating visions, seeing Odium's hero (Eshonai? Sadeas? Teleb even? He's being focused on in the flashbacks for something), getting the literal Stormfather to marry him to Navani, all while trying to run Urithiru and get all the various kingdoms onboard. I'm not sure if shoving Jezrien's Honorblade in a wall is the greatest move though, but mostly for reasons Dalinar doesn't know. The Ghostbloods are around, and Taravangian has a book that's full of cheat codes and probably still wants Dalinar out of "his way".

Shame that Taravangian is the only leader that seems completely receptive to Dalinar's invitations, especially since he's up to some poo poo with his Diagram. I am curious who the Radiant is that Taravangian mentioned, who is going to help him open up the Oathgate. I want to be mad at Gawx but he's getting bogged down with red tape and a bunch of nerds who love filling out forms.

Tezim claiming he's an aspect of the Almighty is interesting. He was a "god-priest" in WoK, a "god-king" in WoR, and also called a "creature" that Mraize isn't convinced is even human or of the local species. We haven't gotten close enough to see him, even in Kaladin's riding of the storm in WoK. I am very curious to learn more about him, and he's not all that far from Urithiru now. Hell, Lift is pretty close by too.

Dalinar is also finally using some surges, to glue Kadash to the floor after he got extremely mad at Dalinar for being a heretic. That guy is gonna be a thorn in Dalinar's side for a while I think, the whole Vorin church will be, to be honest. Can't wait for Jasnah to show up and teach uncle Dalinar how to deal with ornery ardents. Then immediately after he uses that surge, he can hear Evi's name. I'm wondering if it has to do with him holding Stormlight, or having used a surge, since it was right after that. I look forward to more about that. I'm also curious if the Dalinar flashback chapters will lead up to Evi's death and Dalinar's Nightwatcher wish.

Dalinar going "Oh no, Sadeas is dead, this is horrible" and everyone around him is going "Is it though? Are you sure this is horrible? This actually seems pretty rad." and then giving control of the investigation to Adolin is probably the funniest thing that could have happened with that situation. Right up until someone else died in the exact same way. It seems almost like a message? But from who? A Sleepless? Ialai? The Ghostbloods? And if it's a message, do they know Adolin killed Sadeas, or are they trying to draw out the killer? That would suggest Ialai to me.

With Bridge Four becoming "squires" under Kaladin, I'm now curious how many other people will become squires under different Radiants. Adolin is around so many he's got his pick. The most obvious is his father, but he's also got his brother who healed his hand, and Shallan who he's spending more and more time with. He's handy with a Shardblade, but in the grand scheme of things he's nothing compared to most Radiant orders.

Speaking of Stormlight's focus on mental illness and normalizing these things, (thanks for the phrase @ConfusedUs), Shallan is... not OK. She basically told Pattern "Shardblades don't kill people, people kill people" when he confronted her about hating him, which is OK until you realize that she is the person that killed people. But also Shardblades definitely kill people. Then later on with Dalinar she invents a new persona on the loving spot, just so she can hold Pattern as a weapon. I totally understood Veil, sneaking out as someone else, fine. But Brightness Radiant, in front of Adolin, talking about "Shallan" in third person to him, that's dissociative identity disorder. I get it, her life is absolutely insane and the pressure is more than she's ever felt, but someone needs to help this girl out.

Kaladin on the other hand, is doing much better. It only took him something like 2200 pages, but he got back home! And his parents are alive, and he's got a brother! Honestly if the world wasn't ending that would be pretty rad. Shame about the Desolation thing. He did spend a little bit of time being angsty about Roshone, Laral, his father and himself, but he got over it and did something! He's come so far from Way of Kings. I bet it felt a little good to go back home and be a whole Radiant in their faces. He was definitely showing off when he left.

Syl had some good conversations with Kaladin here, hinting him to the fact that all things have souls. Interesting that some of the older things weren't imagined by humans, and have a different number of genders. I wonder if that was the Sleepless, or something else? She also reinforced that there's a connection between Honorspren and windspren. I am curious about that "[]other voice. Pure, with a song like tapped crystal, distant yet demanding..." Cultivation? Or something else? I'm concerned with the conversation about Syl becoming a mother, since Honor had to give up pieces of himself to make the splinters/spren, Syl would probably have to do something similar? She doesn't have much to give away, unlike a full Shard.

I was surprise when Kaladin saw Parshendi in workform or whichever form they're in. I figured the Everstorm could just transform them all into stormform, but I suppose not? I'm guessing the voidspren leading them is taking them somewhere where they can be transformed into stormform en masse.

I liked that Syl gave a quick explanation to Kaladin about the Everstorm filling in gaps and healing their Connection and Identity. Reading the series in release order, learning about those from Mistborn era 2, really makes this make sense quite easily. I'm glad Kaladin is deciding to help these Parshendi, but the voidspren will probably have to be dealt with, if I'm right about it leading them to joining a Voidbringer army.

Progress so far:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

pik_d posted:

Speaking of Stormlight's focus on mental illness and normalizing these things, (thanks for the phrase @ConfusedUs), Shallan is... not OK. She basically told Pattern "Shardblades don't kill people, people kill people" when he confronted her about hating him, which is OK until you realize that she is the person that killed people. But also Shardblades definitely kill people. Then later on with Dalinar she invents a new persona on the loving spot, just so she can hold Pattern as a weapon. I totally understood Veil, sneaking out as someone else, fine. But Brightness Radiant, in front of Adolin, talking about "Shallan" in third person to him, that's dissociative identity disorder. I get it, her life is absolutely insane and the pressure is more than she's ever felt, but someone needs to help this girl out.

A quick minor thing about Shallan's deal from Sanderson He's backtracked a little and has said Shallan's whole deal is NOT specifically DID mainly because he doesn't feel quite right using a real disease like that and her thing is more magicy.

edit fixed to be more vague.

socialsecurity fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 25, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

socialsecurity posted:

A quick minor thing about Shallan's disease from Sanderson He's backtracked a little and has said Shallan's whole deal is NOT specifically DID mainly because he doesn't feel quite right using a real disease like that and her thing is more magicy.

OB up to Ch 17.
OK I get him not wanting to speak as someone who maybe doesn't have experience with it, but sure it can be magical DID. MDID. Also Mordiceius is gonna see "Shallan's disease" and go "wait what??". lmao.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

pik_d posted:

Oathbringer Prologue & Chapters 1-17 (1st half of Part 1)

I swear to god I was so excited for these epigraphs until I realized that the author studied under Kwaan for verbosity. Based on the mentions of heresy, Shadesmar, the fact that others thought they were dead, and the striving for brutal truth, this feels like Jasnah.
What a genuinely interesting observation.

End of Oathbringer spoilers: Dalinar learned more from her than he was aware of, I guess. I do like that read on it; I imagine Dalinar would be very flattered to have his style compared to Jasnah's.

quote:

getting the literal Stormfather to marry him to Navani
One of my favorite moments. The real-world analogue would be Henry VIII responding to the Catholic Church telling him he can't have a divorce (and also can you please cut it out on this "Jesus is dead" talk) by going over their heads and summoning St. Peter to officiate his wedding instead, and St. Peter takes the time while he's there to go "oh by the way Jesus really is dead, sorry, the dude loved you all so much". No wonder he's a walking religious schism at this point, y'know?

Regarding Shallan: I've always called what happens to her "Magically-supercharged DID" and I'm sticking by that. I understand Sanderson wanting to back off a bit, but... no, she's got DID, she's responding to childhood trauma and an extremely disfunctional upbringing by creating alters and using them as psychological defense mechanisms. It's a textbook case, just a million times worse because it turns out that giving the power to rewrite truth at will to a woman with those issues is just the worst thing possible, throwing gasoline onto a fire.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

OB up to Ch 17.
OK I get him not wanting to speak as someone who maybe doesn't have experience with it, but sure it can be magical DID. MDID. Also Mordiceius is gonna see "Shallan's disease" and go "wait what??". lmao.

I couldn't help but mouseover this and laughed when I saw my name. Shallan's "situation" is something I knew long ago from an RL friend who is a big Stormlight fan (though oddly hasn't read much other Sanderson). He kept pushing me to finally get into the Stormlight Archives but his method was not so careful with spoilers. Basically: "So there's this guy Kaladin who is super badass and then Szeth who is an assassin and mysterious and then Shallan who can draw really well and has multiple personalities."

EDIT - side note, while I'm not at the WoK Sanderlanche yet, I'm feeling that momentum building and I've finally gotten the itch that makes me want to spend all my free time continuing listening. Only took 35 hours of 45 hour audiobook. lol

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 25, 2023

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

Regarding Shallan: I've always called what happens to her "Magically-supercharged DID" and I'm sticking by that. I understand Sanderson wanting to back off a bit, but... no, she's got DID, she's responding to childhood trauma and an extremely disfunctional upbringing by creating alters and using them as psychological defense mechanisms. It's a textbook case, just a million times worse because it turns out that giving the power to rewrite truth at will to a woman with those issues is just the worst thing possible, throwing gasoline onto a fire.

Stormlight 5 theory/speculation spoilers Also if her mom is Chana there could also be a level of being extra susceptible to having her self molded by thought and perception due to being half Cognitive Shadow.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Ojjeorago posted:

Stormlight 5 theory/speculation spoilers Also if her mom is Chana there could also be a level of being extra susceptible to having her self molded by thought and perception due to being half Cognitive Shadow.
Oooh, nice theory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ojjeorago posted:

Stormlight 5 theory/speculation spoilers
i was thinking about exactly this while listening to the RoW audiobook -- the way they describe the Heralds' magical illness at times feels like it's jumping out and going "you know who else has a weird magical illness???"

i'd have to go back and reread the WoK/WoR stuff but it really does feel like it can be mostly explained by "Chana truly believed Ishar and Nale that Radiants coming back meant the Desolation, then saw her daughter bond spren before literally(?) anyone else, skybreakers excepted." the way thousands of years of torture broke the others and left them desperate for absolutely anything to avoid returning to that, maybe sacrificing her own daughter was necessary in her mind

though it does raise the question of whether we really do know the true circumstances surrounding her death by shallan -- i guess anyone can be surprised with a shardblade, but other heralds we've seen effortlessly solo squads of radiants while laughing like anime villains. and also what the gently caress she was doing there in the first place

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 25, 2023