Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Malgrin posted:

Well, despite our precautions, our family got got. It was likely while getting our kids vaccinated from covid. Yup. There was some mixed up paperwork and we were there forever. It's so loving hard to keep a 6yo and 4yo safe from covid. Such loving bullshit.

e: picking up paxlovid, there were two people working there. One was masked and hurried to get it filled for me so I could get out. From the other side of the room, an unmasked woman looked at me and said "you shouldn't be the one picking that up"
"I'm masked and my whole family is sick" shut her up. But seriously what did she think, that I wanted to come to the store while sick to pick up pax? JFC I need a new pharmacy. But they all suck around here.

lmao

Recognizes that getting COVID sucks and should be avoided.
Recognizes that people are walking around with active COVID infections.
Doesn't wear a mask.

It's not your daughter's wedding. It's not a night of passion with your new lover. It's a loving pharmacy. There is zero benefit to raw dogging oxygen while you're waiting in line for a prescription. You're not being emotionally fulfilled. The pharmacist won't work faster. You're skimming instagram while you wait for your medication be refilled. Why get infected for that?

I just do not get how 98% of the public approaches the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm glad that the idea of hoarding paxlovid was fought so hard and instead those doses could instead be safely returned to be thrown in the trash to make way for profit.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

lmao

Recognizes that getting COVID sucks and should be avoided.
Recognizes that people are walking around with active COVID infections.
Doesn't wear a mask.

It's not your daughter's wedding. It's not a night of passion with your new lover. It's a loving pharmacy. There is zero benefit to raw dogging oxygen while you're waiting in line for a prescription. You're not being emotionally fulfilled. The pharmacist won't work faster. You're skimming instagram while you wait for your medication be refilled. Why get infected for that?

I just do not get how 98% of the public approaches the world.

I think you missed the part where that was the other pharmacist working there.

e: or I wasn't as clear as I thought I was. I blame covid

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Shiroc posted:

I'm glad that the idea of hoarding paxlovid was fought so hard and instead those doses could instead be safely returned to be thrown in the trash to make way for profit.

Every time I read one of these posts ITT about doctors giving factually incorrect direction to posters, or think about the crocodile tears about pax hoarding, I go back and reread the SAD thread and have a hearty lol at all the indignant hubris that has aged like unpasteurized milk.

My personal favourites were the "there's no wave coming, shut up!!!" posts, personally.

Actual post content wise: Canada still hasn't approved the updated Novavax formula for absolutely no reason at all. When I go to select it as an option, they add this helpful little text blurb:

The Government of BC posted:

mRNA vaccines provide the best protection against COVID-19.

See folx, you don't need expensive regulatory capture of the FDA by pharmaceutical companies to ensure your public health organs are pushing actual disinformation and playing favourites for no reason- they can do that for free!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Well then you'll be immune. :pseudo:

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

quote:

GREENVILLE, S.C. —
On Thursday, you are invited to skip the cooking and dine out for breakfast, lunch, or dinner to support South Carolina families. By visiting a local restaurant in the Upstate, you're helping local moms and dads who have a life-threatening illness still be there for their children, even if they are no longer physically there.

:ironicat:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They didn't even arrange for a vaccine event at my well funded big name hospital lmao. I had to go to punk rear end CVS

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

One for the "how is this real life" file.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Come set yourself on fire to support burn victims.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

I kind of don't want to be in this world anymore

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
I found a link to the protest that Biobot served CDC.

https://www.highergov.com/protest/biobot-analytics-inc-75d30123r72755-422140/

I have no idea how to read this or if it even has anything useful or interesting :haw:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Pingui posted:

I wonder why that is :iiam:

:ms:

I know I've posted about this before, but my heart's hosed up and has been for years prior to COVID ever being a thing. But, since COVID hit, I've no longer been the only patient in the waiting room at my cardiologist's office under 60. I've even seen a handful of folks there who look like they're in their 20s.

Total mystery as to what changed, though. Maybe it's dogs?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The American remake of Eat Out to Help Out

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

what

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rochallor posted:

The American remake of Eat Out to Help Out

Eat Out is the sequel to Get Out

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pingui posted:

I wonder why that is :iiam:

:ms:

Lol it’s been a while since I saw a concrete deaths number, 1200 deaths a week is as many deaths per year as murders and car crashes combined

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
This cold is so mild, our youngest had a fever of almost 103 and we were worried we might have to go to the hospital. So mild and over.

Also, our kids are too young for pax, but even if they weren't, I'm not sure I could convince them to take it after a day of pax mouth. Where's that covid loss of taste everyone is talking about, I wouldn't mind it right about now (jk, I know that's worse).

Overall, we're doing ok though, our kids are handling it all pretty well and the fevers have come down. I feel like absolute poo poo, but the pax should kick in a bit stronger tomorrow, I hope?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

eta: /r/Futurama comments on the situation:

quote:

The amount of people adversely affected by covid is crazy.

quote:

Especially older people. Even though they're vaxxed, at that age even a regular cold can have long term effects.

quote:

I got it after three shots. Lost my sense of taste and smell for a while. All good now, since I kept cycling and exercising after healing. My fiancée's flus are getting longer and longer everytime she is sick.

quote:

I had COVID almost a year ago and my voice still isn’t the same. It’s no joke.

quote:

Long covid is no joke, took me months for my voice and sense of smell to come back

quote:

I had covid this time last year and I’m no singer by any means, but when I’m in the car belting out Killing Me Softly by Roberta Flack, there are certain notes my voice simply refuses to hit anymore, lmao. I can’t imagine how scary that is for someone who uses their voice for their livelihood.

quote:

I didn't have voice issues, but it's been almost 3 years since I had Covid and my taste and smell still aren't what they used to be. It's better but things just don't smell/taste the same anymore. It's amazing how much it can affect you.

quote:

a 71 year old voice actor is meant to be affected by covid. he had covid again in september, but 2nd time is always easier. i think his voice will be improved in season 12. the important thing is he survived it. always a major risk for elderly people (and not only, but more for them).

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 03:00 on Oct 28, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kragger99 posted:

Man, I'd like to say to them "I'm just protecting myself from a serious airborne pathogen that's currently spreading. I'm surprised someone in your field doesn't understand how airborne transmission works". But they'd just immediately get angry at my "attack" because the desire to suck and gently caress and ignore severely outweighs their critical thought.

They’d send you for a psych eval, and frankly, they’d have a point. You ought not to be surprised at their lack of understanding.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Malgrin posted:

Also, our kids are too young for pax, but even if they weren't, I'm not sure I could convince them to take it after a day of pax mouth. Where's that covid loss of taste everyone is talking about, I wouldn't mind it right about now (jk, I know that's worse).

My taste/smell loss (and voice deepening/scratchiness) started a few days after I finished pax, so be prepared to get dunked on if you catch the rebound :iiaca:.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

They’d send you for a psych eval, and frankly, they’d have a point. You ought not to be surprised at their lack of understanding.

I disagree. Anyone working in a patient facing medical field should be masking right now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kragger99 posted:

I disagree. Anyone working in a patient facing medical field should be masking right now.

Yeah sure but it’s like seeing a speeding cop and saying that you’re surprised that an officer of the law would flagrantly violate the law.

And at least speeding without cause is technically illegal and in violation of department policies. Nurses who aren’t masking aren’t officially doing anything wrong… provided they’ve gotten a flu shot this season.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Platystemon posted:

a 71 year old voice actor is meant to be affected by covid.

Ah yes, it is meant to be. As it always was. So let it be written, so let it be done. :thunkgun:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Once you are no longer capable of creating new soldiers for capitalism, your life is meaningless and you should really just shut the gently caress up and die. Sorry.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
going to another Halloween party tonight, dressing as Daft Punk.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I got my covid booster today (along with my annual flu shot), previously I'd gotten Pfizer/BioNTech 3 times, then the Pfizer bivalent booster last year. Today they gave me the Moderna booster without an option. Will this matter? I'm thinking probably not but was curious

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SKULL.GIF posted:

I got my covid booster today (along with my annual flu shot), previously I'd gotten Pfizer/BioNTech 3 times, then the Pfizer bivalent booster last year. Today they gave me the Moderna booster without an option. Will this matter? I'm thinking probably not but was curious

It will not matter, unless you’re a child under five years of age, in which case there’s ridiculous handwringing from FDA and CDC about how you must stick with the brand you got a year ago at all costs.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

skooma512 posted:

They didn't even arrange for a vaccine event at my well funded big name hospital lmao. I had to go to punk rear end CVS

Yeah I couldn't get it at my usual clinic for some reason. It was only CVS and Walgreens that offered the vaccine. Not even my preferred pharmacy (indie) had it.

Platystemon posted:

It will not matter, unless you’re a child under five years of age, in which case there’s ridiculous handwringing from FDA and CDC about how you must stick with the brand you got a year ago at all costs.

Cool, good to know, thank you.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Malgrin posted:

Well, despite our precautions, our family got got. It was likely while getting our kids vaccinated from covid. Yup. There was some mixed up paperwork and we were there forever. It's so loving hard to keep a 6yo and 4yo safe from covid. Such loving bullshit.

e: picking up paxlovid, there were two people working there. One was masked and hurried to get it filled for me so I could get out. From the other side of the room, an unmasked woman looked at me and said "you shouldn't be the one picking that up"
"I'm masked and my whole family is sick" shut her up. But seriously what did she think, that I wanted to come to the store while sick to pick up pax? JFC I need a new pharmacy. But they all suck around here.

Sorry man. It's so great that you gotta get vaccinated at the same place sick people are going to get medicine.

As far as picking up pax, a couple places used to courier it to your house. That would have been nice to keep doing! Or offer to meet you outside. Or yah, maybe pharmacies should *always* have drive(walk)-thru windows. Why are the majority of pharmacies in the back of a grocery store?

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Baddog posted:

Why are the majority of pharmacies in the back of a grocery store?

It's a trap :byodood:

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

they put the pharmacies in the back of the store because the pharmacy is there to drive foot traffic into the building and doesn't make them any money unless people are also filling up their shopping carts along the way, although these days with opioid lawsuits and such the pharmacies are more of a liability so grocery stores are phasing them out or selling them

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Good news, fellow parents of young children! The CDC finally updated their guidance to clarify interchangeability of brands for 6mo+

quote:

mRNA COVID-19 vaccines

Children ages 6 months–4 years should receive all doses of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine from the same manufacturer (i.e., homologous dosing); this includes children who are moderately or severely immunocompromised and those who are not. People ages 5 years and older who are moderately or severely immunocompromised should receive a 3-dose initial mRNA vaccination series using vaccines from the same manufacturer.

For people who receive 1 Moderna and 1 Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine dose, complete the initial vaccination series as follows:

Children ages 6 months–4 years who are not moderately or severely immunocompromised should follow a 3-dose schedule. A third dose of either updated (2023–2024 Formula) Moderna vaccine or updated (2023–2024 Formula) Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine should be administered at least 8 weeks after the second dose.

Administration of COVID-19 vaccine doses from different manufacturers

COVID-19 vaccine doses from the same manufacturer should be administered whenever recommended. In the following circumstances, an age-appropriate COVID-19 vaccine from a different manufacturer may be administered:

Same vaccine not available at the vaccination site at the time of the clinic visit
Previous dose unknown
Person would otherwise not receive a recommended vaccine dose
Person starts but unable to complete a vaccination series with the same COVID-19 vaccine due to a contraindication

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/interim-considerations-us.html#Interchangeability

So there is a lot of flexibility now wrt 6mo+ vaccine interchangeability. TLDR Go for same brand if you can, but different brand is absolutely permitted if that's all your provider stocks.

My kid got Moderna Bivalent for her first dose, Pfizer 2023-2024 for her second dose. So this guidance applied to her. I'm debating whether to get her a second Pfizer 2023-2024 for her third dose or go with the Moderna 2023-2024. Will probably do the Pfizer again, since that's closer to homologous dosing which is apparently the recommendation for her age group 6mo+. Her pediatrician is willing to give her a fourth Pfizer, kind of just ignoring the first shot being Moderna bivalent and so doing a whole series with Pfizer. I feel like that's also an option you can push for because the footnotes in the appendix for the dosing schedule says explicitly that children should get homologous doses when possible.

It's cool how I have to read this poo poo

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
Don't sleep on home ventilation, y'all. I thought that I wasn't sleeping on it and I still was. Got out a CO2 monitor in my new place, I guess I've never charged it up here, and it immediately started alarming 1600+. Just from me in here... and the shared wall with neighbors, and the shared attic with them. I thought this place was leakier than that to outdoors with a window unit and lovely windows, but I just assumed. Sealed in that tight I'm guessing any slow pressure gradient from heating/cooling becomes shared air that never vented out from each previous day. So this post wins the prize of guessing how I got infected:

NeonPunk posted:

drat I'm sorry, you held out well and don't beat yourself up. At least you can rest easy knowing that it's still just only your first infection. As long you have less than others, you're better off health wise.

But I'm curious why did you think that this

quote:

(Most likely IMO) A grocery trip on Oct 10th in a P100. Lingered in aisles extra long unable to find stuff, trying not to narrowly follow where coughing kids/adults had been, which were numerous. Thing is, I wore a P100 and airtight eye protection. I was as sure as ever of the seal of both, and this STILL is the most likely route -- a stealth P100 leak. I even sprayed nose + throat with strong neutral HOCl when I got home to kill anything that got past before it could replicate, and this is STILL the most likely vector.
Is more likely than the below?

quote:

Apartment air leakage. Mine is a single floor house, sharing only one wall with a neighbor, along the kitchen and bathroom. It would have to be a very slow seepage. I count it as more possible because I could hear someone sneezing as they went in and out this week one day. That was by my outside double door which seals pretty well, and I cranked up the huge corsi by the door on high for the rest of the day.

Corsi cubes is great at providing a layer of security and clean up the air by just following the law of physics. The bad side is that it follows the law of physics. It does not immediately clean every single virion out of the air in a blink of the eye. It's possible that you placed the corsi cube in a unfavorable place where it wound up not being able to circulate through the entire air while leaving a draft blowing little bits of covid into other spaces and that's where you got got

One tiny mistake, that's all it took with the new strains. Crack your windows open.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Woodsy Owl posted:

Good news, fellow parents of young children! The CDC finally updated their guidance to clarify interchangeability of brands for 6mo+

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/interim-considerations-us.html#Interchangeability

So there is a lot of flexibility now wrt 6mo+ vaccine interchangeability. TLDR Go for same brand if you can, but different brand is absolutely permitted if that's all your provider stocks.

My kid got Moderna Bivalent for her first dose, Pfizer 2023-2024 for her second dose. So this guidance applied to her. I'm debating whether to get her a second Pfizer 2023-2024 for her third dose or go with the Moderna 2023-2024. Will probably do the Pfizer again, since that's closer to homologous dosing which is apparently the recommendation for her age group 6mo+. Her pediatrician is willing to give her a fourth Pfizer, kind of just ignoring the first shot being Moderna bivalent and so doing a whole series with Pfizer. I feel like that's also an option you can push for because the footnotes in the appendix for the dosing schedule says explicitly that children should get homologous doses when possible.

It's cool how I have to read this poo poo
Last night Wifezwang and I ran into an acquaintance who has a kid around Kidzwang's age and learned that they just got their kid boosted. This person, an MD/PhD, still thought you need to match manufacturers for pediatric doses. I'm glad everyone has the info they need about The Tools.

(They also told us where to get either Moderna or Pfizer, at least.)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Shiroc posted:

it’s truly a beautiful outcome.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Excited to see which new variants this will sprout in Japan.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/merck-3rd-quarter-profit-tops-expectations-covid-pill-surprise-2023-10-26/ posted:

Merck quarterly profit tops expectations on COVID pill surprise

Merck & Co (MRK.N) on Thursday reported higher-than-expected third-quarter results on surprisingly strong demand for its COVID-19 treatment, primarily in Japan, and raised its sales forecast for the drug.

Sales of molnupiravir, the COVID-19 antiviral pill sold under brand name Lagevrio, jumped 47% to $640 million in the quarter, crushing Wall Street estimates of $120 million, according to LSEG data.
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
The results in this correspondence are good, because they indicate we still are not at the SARS-CoV-3 stage, in that BA.2.86 still generates functional antibodies to wildtype (brought here in full as it is fairly short and it's Saturday).
"Mucosal and Serum Antibodies 3 Weeks after Symptomatic BA.2.86 Infection"

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2310347?query=featured_home posted:

The severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) subvariant BA.2.86 was first reported in Denmark early in August 2023.1 By August 30, a total of 24 cases had been detected in 8 countries. BA.2.86 has a heavily mutated spike protein, with 29 substitutions, 4 deletions, and 1 insertion as compared with its putative ancestor, BA.2, which suggests a strong capacity to evade vaccine- and infection-induced antibodies.2 By the end of August in Sweden, BA.2.86 infections had been reported in 4 patients in different parts of the country. None of the patients had recently traveled abroad, which indicated a geographical spread within Sweden.

The first verified Swedish BA.2.86 infection was detected on August 7 through a screening program within the Covid-19 Immunity (COMMUNITY) cohort study, which involved 2149 health care workers in Sweden. In this screening substudy, 297 participants in the cohort were tested for SARS-CoV-2 infection if they had upper respiratory symptoms3-5 (see the Supplementary Appendix, available with the full text of this letter at NEJM.org). The first participant in whom BA.2.86 infection was identified (index case) was an immunocompetent woman without chronic disorders who reported having rhinorrhea, chills, and fever with a symptom duration of 3 days. These symptoms were milder than those she had during a SARS-CoV-2 infection the previous year. Her husband and son also became ill with similar symptoms at the same time but were not tested.

Figure 1. Antibody Responses before and after Infection with the BA.2.86 Subvariant.
Panel A shows wild-type spike IgG levels in serum samples (solid lines) and wild-type spike IgA levels in nasal samples (dashed lines) in the index case, who contracted the BA.2.86 subvariant of SARS-CoV-2 (green), as compared with samples obtained from the COMMUNITY cohort of 2149 Swedish health care workers (gray). All samples were measured with the use of commercial electrochemiluminescence panels; antibody levels are reported in arbitrary units (AU) per milliliter. Antibody levels for the cohort are represented as geometric means with geometric standard deviations. Also shown are the results in the index case for serum wild-type nucleocapsid IgG levels (Panel B) and the BA.5 and wild-type spike serum IgG and nasal IgA levels (Panel C) before and after BA.2.86 infection. Since 6 months had passed between the collection of the samples in February and the diagnosis of BA.2.86 infection in August in the index case, there may have been a decrease in the antibody levels before the increase that was measured in September, so the boost after infection may have been underestimated. In Panels A and C, nasal spike IgA levels have been normalized to nasal total IgA levels.

In addition to the previous infection, the index case had received four doses of the BNT162b2 vaccine (Pfizer–BioNTech) before the diagnosis of the BA.2.86 infection. A detailed immune history that was available through the previous collection of study samples3-5 revealed that she had a history of having serum IgG and mucosal IgA levels similar to those in the full COMMUNITY cohort before the BA.2.86 infection (Figure 1A and Tables S1 and S2 in the Supplementary Appendix).

We next investigated whether BA.2.86 infection could boost nucleocapsid and spike-specific antibody responses. Serum and mucosal samples that had been obtained 3 weeks after infection in the index case were analyzed for wild-type nucleocapsid IgG and wild-type and BA.5 spike IgA and IgG. We compared the levels with those obtained in February 2023 and noted an increase by a factor of 36 in nucleocapsid IgG titers in serum (Figure 1B) and a stronger induction of mucosal IgA binding to wild-type and BA.5 spike proteins (factor increase, 3.6 and 3.4, respectively) as compared with serum IgG binding to wild-type and BA.5 spike proteins (factor increase, 1.1 and 1.5, respectively) (Figure 1C).

These findings suggest that BA.2.86 infection can substantially boost antibody responses. The results also confirm that highly vaccinated and previously infected immunocompetent persons with normal antibody levels can be infected with BA.2.86, which reveals the potential for BA.2.86 to cause a global surge in cases. Close monitoring is warranted to evaluate the effectiveness of the forthcoming and updated vaccines with respect to the BA.2.86 subvariant.

Whether this comes down to kinetics of her specific response is naturally a question mark, but considering her history it seems likely to be fairly typical (for an immunocompetent adult at least).

Edit: Imgur link fix as Figure 1 wasn't showing.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 13:05 on Nov 2, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
On the ongoing healthcare breakdown:
"Vital Signs: Health Worker–Perceived Working Conditions and Symptoms of Poor Mental Health — Quality of Worklife Survey, United States, 2018–2022"

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/72/wr/mm7244e1.htm?s_cid=mm7244e1_w#T1_down posted:

Summary
What is already known about this topic?
The longstanding health worker burnout crisis preceded the COVID-19 pandemic, which began in 2020.

What is added by this report?
Health worker respondents to the General Social Survey Quality of Worklife Module reported more days of poor mental health and were more likely to report burnout in 2022 than in 2018. Positive working conditions, such as trust in management and supervisor help, were associated with lower odds of poor mental health symptoms and burnout.

What are the implications for public health practice?
Health workers continued to face a mental health crisis in 2022. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health has developed a campaign, Impact Wellbeing, to provide employers of health workers with resources to modify working conditions and improve worker mental health, thereby supporting the nation’s health system.

Abstract
Introduction: Health workers faced overwhelming demands and experienced crisis levels of burnout before the COVID-19 pandemic; the pandemic presented unique challenges that further impaired their mental health.

Methods: Data from the General Social Survey Quality of Worklife Module were analyzed to compare self-reported mental health symptoms among U.S. adult workers from 2018 (1,443 respondents, including 226 health workers) and 2022 (1,952, including 325 health workers). Logistic regression was used to examine associations between health workers’ reported perceptions of working conditions and anxiety, depression, and burnout.

Results: From 2018 to 2022, health workers reported an increase of 1.2 days of poor mental health during the previous 30 days (from 3.3 days to 4.5 days); the percentage who reported feeling burnout very often (11.6% to 19.0%) increased. In 2022, health workers experienced a decrease in odds of burnout if they trusted management (odds ratio [OR] = 0.40), had supervisor help (OR = 0.26), had enough time to complete work (OR = 0.33), and felt that their workplace supported productivity (OR = 0.38), compared with those who did not. Harassment at work was associated with increased odds of anxiety (OR = 5.01), depression (OR = 3.38), and burnout (OR = 5.83).

Conclusions and implications for public health practice: Health workers continued to face a mental health crisis in 2022. Positive working conditions were associated with less burnout and better mental health. CDC’s National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health has developed a national campaign, Impact Wellbeing, to provide employers of health workers with resources to improve the mental health of these workers.

Worth noting that the data was collected after the initial Omicron wave:

https://gss.norc.org/Pages/quality-of-worklife.aspx posted:

(..)
These data, collected between May and December of 2022
(..)

News article on the matter (I personally think it is great that the CDCs opening quote is downplaying a substantial worsening of conditions as normal):

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/health-care-workers-report-increase-burnout-harassment-covid/story?id=104250554 posted:

Health care workers report increase in burnout, harassment since the COVID pandemic: CDC
Workers said they're also experiencing anxiety and depression.

Health care workers are facing a severe mental health crisis, according to a new survey published Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Workers said they are experiencing harassment, burnout, and other mental health symptoms -- including anxiety and depression -- at levels higher than before the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.

"Health workers and health-related professions have historically faced long work hours, often with unpredictable or rotating schedules or like what I experienced as an emergency physician working overnights and on holidays," Dr. Debra Houry, the CDC's chief medical officer, said during a press conference about the report Tuesday afternoon.
(..)

The percentage of workers who reported feeling burnout very often increased from 11.6% in 2018 to 19.0% in 2022.

In total, 45.6% of health workers reported feeling burnout often or very often in 2022 compared to 31.9% in 2018.

Harassment was another major issue facing health care workers. More than double the number of workers reported harassment at work in 2022 compared to 2018.

This harassment included threats, bullying, verbal abuse, or actions from patients or coworkers leading to a hostile work environment, according to the report.

The survey also found that those who experienced harassment at work were more likely to experience feelings of anxiety, depression, and burnout.

For example, 31% of health care workers reported feeling depressed who did not experience harassment compared to 60% of workers who did experience harassment.
(..)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My hospital administrator told me mental health crises keep eating their doctors so I asked how many doctors they have and they said they just go to the former colonies and get new doctors afterwards so I said it sounds like they’re just feeding doctors to Mammon and then the secretary started crying.