Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Cyflan posted:

5's a solid game too.

It is but it's also a spin-off :spooky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

fridge corn posted:

It is but it's also a spin-off :spooky:

Suikoden 5 happens in the same world, plays the same way as the first two games, and shares some characters so how is it a spin-off?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Cyflan posted:

Suikoden 5 happens in the same world, plays the same way as the first two games, and shares some characters so how is it a spin-off?

It's a prequel

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

fridge corn posted:

It's a prequel

uh, how are prequels spin-offs? People usually use those terms to mean dramatically different things.

Like is Tales of Berseria a spin-off in your calculation because its a prequel to Zesteria?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

fridge corn posted:

It's a prequel

That... doesn't mean it's a spin-off, though?
Like, Tactics is a spin-off because it isn't a numbered title, and also plays very differently.
But Suikoden V just happens before the first game, that doesn't mean it's a spin-off.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There's a spitting chance of Eiyuden Chronicle being the sequel to Suikoden II people wanted.

The only problem is the name being a scary mouthful.

AU-den

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

It's a prequel

So by your logic Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is a spinoff of Metal Gear Solid?

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Eh-eee-you-den?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Suikoden V isn't a spinoff, but because it's a prequel it fails to advance the storyline set up by 1-3.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Wild Arms 4 is great, Wild Arms 5 sucks.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
That makes me wonder if there is a prequel that "advances the main plot" without being partially set in the present day. I guess there are prequels that set up things for later installments like Birth By Sleep.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

ImpAtom posted:

So by your logic Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is a spinoff of Metal Gear Solid?

That actually makes some sense. It has a different main character and a whole hoard of different game mechanics. Even the stealth mechanics - the key game mechanic of Metal Gear - are completely different from all previous Metal Gear games.

It doesn't ultimately feel like a spinoff, mainly because of how strongly it ties into the main MGS story. Metal Gear Ac!d and Ghost Babel do feel like spinoffs - even though GB plays more like traditional Metal Gear than MGS3 does - because they don't affect the main story.

But it's an interesting example to focus on.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Clarste posted:

Wild Arms 4 has someone jump out of a plane to shoot down missiles and then he punches the last missile cause he ran out of ammo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tequila Bob posted:

That actually makes some sense. It has a different main character and a whole hoard of different game mechanics. Even the stealth mechanics - the key game mechanic of Metal Gear - are completely different from all previous Metal Gear games.

It doesn't ultimately feel like a spinoff, mainly because of how strongly it ties into the main MGS story. Metal Gear Ac!d and Ghost Babel do feel like spinoffs - even though GB plays more like traditional Metal Gear than MGS3 does - because they don't affect the main story.

But it's an interesting example to focus on.

Most of those game mechanics are transferred over in some way to Metal Gear Solid 4 which is a direct sequel to MGS2.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

OddObserver posted:

Suikoden V isn't a spinoff, but because it's a prequel it fails to advance the storyline set up by 1-3.

This is what I meant but the added caveat that a suikoden game that doesn't take place in the "present time" is inherently a spin off cuz imo the "now-ness" of Suikoden is one of its defining qualities as a series

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Anyway, I got my copy of Star Ocean 2 early. Is Dexterity just called Nimble Fingers now? Or is that something else

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

This is what I meant but the added caveat that a suikoden game that doesn't take place in the "present time" is inherently a spin off cuz imo the "now-ness" of Suikoden is one of its defining qualities as a series

Suikoden is literally a series that opens with with the reveals of events happening long before the current time impacting the current time to the point where you time travel in the very first game and the third game features a nonlinear overlapping series of stories.

I can't say 'nowness' is particularly important to its DNA in any way, shape or form and if anything the presence of immortals and ancestors and such is a much bigger factor.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the only sense in which you could say mgs3 isn't any kind of evolution on the mechanics of mgs2 is because you can play it with a third person camera. i think people forget often that, the third person camera was an option, and not the default way of playing that the game originally released with

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ape escape 3 is a spinoff of ape escape because you dont play as prior ape escape characters and you use superpowers more than you use gadgets. checkmate

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
a spinoff has the word gaiden in it

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

The Colonel posted:

the only sense in which you could say mgs3 isn't any kind of evolution on the mechanics of mgs2 is because you can play it with a third person camera. i think people forget often that, the third person camera was an option, and not the default way of playing that the game originally released with

Nobody even mentioned the camera. It was the same camera as MGS2 on release, mostly.

I'm talking about stuff like all the food mechanics, specific injuries and treatments, the entire camo system, guards no longer having vision cones (they can spot you from all the way across the map if your camo is bad), ambient hazardous wildlife, and the interrogation mini-game. None of those were in MGS2.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

fridge corn posted:

Anyway, I got my copy of Star Ocean 2 early. Is Dexterity just called Nimble Fingers now? Or is that something else

Ya, Nimble Fingers is Dexterity.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

this

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Suikoden is literally a series that opens with with the reveals of events happening long before the current time impacting the current time to the point where you time travel in the very first game and the third game features a nonlinear overlapping series of stories.

I can't say 'nowness' is particularly important to its DNA in any way, shape or form and if anything the presence of immortals and ancestors and such is a much bigger factor.

What I'm talking about is how from the second game references the events of the first and the third game references the events of the first two gives weight to your actions through the story, as if you are making history in real time and that you are actually affecting change in the world because you get to see glimpses of your efforts in subsequent titles. Not so with Suikoden 4 and 5 since they are set in the past - the outcomes of narratives are already determined. You are witnessing history rather than living it. I feel its an important distinction. Suikoden 5 was a good effort to turn the series back on track after the disaster of 4 but it merely imitates a suikoden game imo. 5 fixes what 4 got wrong mechanically, but fails to grasp what made the series so unique and captivating in the first place.

Suikoden 5 is a good game in a vacuum but a disappointing entry to the series

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

TurnipFritter posted:

Ya, Nimble Fingers is Dexterity.

Nice I'm good to go then, don't have to replay the first 3 hours 👍👍

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what is the defining feature of mgs' core design if not the piles of weird ambient mechanics each successive game adds

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you really want to bait people into an mgs mainline argument you need to talk about whether peace walker is a spinoff and, if so, whether v is one by extension because it's a peace walker sequel but also half of v's story is the entire extended cast of peace walker getting brutally killed or turning into massive psychopaths off screen

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cyflan posted:

Man, I am so hyped to play SO2 again tomorrow.
One of my top favorite JRPGs ever, and the remake looks so good.

:same:

What are people doing for their parties? I'm thinking:

Claude, Rena, Ashton, Leon, Celine, Precis, Welch, Noel for the 1st playthrough.
You get all the casters. Ashton, Precis and Welch so you can get all their killer moves. Leon, Celine, Ashton and Welch are there so you can open every single treasure chest in the game, if you care about cheevos.

Rena, Claude, Dias, Opera, Ernest, Bowman, Noel, Chisato as the 2nd party. Replace Noel with Celine or something if he sucks real bad(or if you want to get the ending with Rena and Celine from the psp version).

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

MGS2 had ambient wildlife hazards (birds poop on the floor and you slip in it)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
metal gear solid 2 had foreshadowing for future series plot events in the form of raiden's first arch rival, pisstream sam

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway if we follow this train of logic we have to enter a discussion about whether silent hill 1 and 3 are the only mainline silent hill games and every other silent hill game in existence is a spinoff except for i guess homecoming somehow and i'm not ready to have conversations about the insanity of silent hill as a franchise this many times in one year

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

The secret game NES Ninja that Ninja Gaiden is a spinoff of....

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

The Colonel posted:

anyway if we follow this train of logic we have to enter a discussion about whether silent hill 1 and 3 are the only mainline silent hill games and every other silent hill game in existence is a spinoff except for i guess homecoming somehow and i'm not ready to have conversations about the insanity of silent hill as a franchise this many times in one year

and thats not even getting into cut content.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Every Silent Hill after 4 has been completely unnecessary.

Devs: "We're going to return to what made Silent Hill 2 great!"
Fans: "Horror rooted in the characters' psychology?"
Devs: "Absolutely!"
Devs: "So the Cult of Samael is back.."

I'll grant an exception to Shattered Memories, since it was a very ambitious experiment - and pretty fun to play too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you're giving them too much credit. even when they try to focus on the psychological aspect none of them know how to write a human being and read silent hill 2's plot as "silent hill is for bad people who did a bad thing and feel bad about it" and ignore the part where a major character was a sexual abuse victim who didn't really do anything bad and that james' character is more about he's just kind of a pathetic person who was put into a situation he had no idea how to handle and did something awful because he was incapable of thinking of a way out

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it is dumb conversations like these that makes the rpg thread the best game thread on the forums 🫡

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the hack i'm playing cuts out the entire prologue so it took me a while to notice but, dang the starter town of golden sun 1 is by far the largest and most geographically complex in the game. i suppose that's because it's the only town to really have much action occurring in it but still, struck me as a bit odd. the only town that comes close is the flooded mining town. the layout is cool though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tequila Bob posted:

Every Silent Hill after 4 has been completely unnecessary.

Devs: "We're going to return to what made Silent Hill 2 great!"
Fans: "Horror rooted in the characters' psychology?"
Devs: "Absolutely!"
Devs: "So the Cult of Samael is back.."

I'll grant an exception to Shattered Memories, since it was a very ambitious experiment - and pretty fun to play too.
that Here. Comes. Cults! and It's Trauma screenshots of the dumb webshow really illustrate what western devs (and konami) think silent hill is

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont really like shattered memories at all either because it weirds me out that the only conception sam barlow has of lisa garland is that she's a drug addict when that was one line of her diary that was more there to illustrate the abuse and manipulation she was subjected to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

wild arms 5 directly led to symphogear so its pretty good