Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Those rule, and make me slightly nostalgic. I'm really glad they got waffle images back so those memories didn't get lost to the sands of time and digital entropy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shishkahuben posted:

quote:

lawyer Harlan Protass
When they can't pay in cash or horses, they're forced to turn to one who accepts payment in vespene gas.

RocketMermaid posted:

YOU MUST EXPLOIT ADDITIONAL MORONS

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Kitfox88 posted:

we get lots of carpenter bees every summer and i love those fat dumb dipshits

They're like bumblebees that got trade jobs :3:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Plumber bees though...kinda tired of seeing all that bee buttcrack flying around

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I saw my first bumblebees on a trip to New Zealand recently (we don't have them in Australia) and I never thought a bee could be cute. They're little flying fuzzballs and I kinda want to gently pat one. I'd get stung so fuckin' fast.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
male carpenter bees have 1 white spot on their face and 0 stingers so you can just grab them and pat them if you want

even with the female carpenter bees and bumblebees you p much have to grab them to get stung

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I think bumblebees bite. I have a very early memory of one mistaking my ankle for a flower?? and attacking the poo poo out of it while i ran around screaming. Took like 10 years for the weird dry patch of skin it caused to heal out.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Chubby Henparty posted:

I think bumblebees bite. I have a very early memory of one mistaking my ankle for a flower?? and attacking the poo poo out of it while i ran around screaming. Took like 10 years for the weird dry patch of skin it caused to heal out.

bumblebees aren't aggressive but they have straight stingers so if one gets angry at you it will sting you infinity times

when I was 5 one got stuck between my sandal and my foot and it stung the absolute poo poo out of me

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

bumblebees aren't aggressive but they have straight stingers so if one gets angry at you it will sting you infinity times

when I was 5 one got stuck between my sandal and my foot and it stung the absolute poo poo out of me

Isn't that wasps and hornets? I thought they were the ones that could do multiple attacks like an rear end in a top hat, but bees commit suicide by stinger.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Isn't that wasps and hornets? I thought they were the ones that could do multiple attacks like an rear end in a top hat, but bees commit suicide by stinger.

That’s honeybees

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Nope. Fuzzy bros and sisters can sting multiple times. Honey bees have the barbed stingers which stick into fleshy critters like us.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
bees nuts

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CzarChasm posted:

Nope. Fuzzy bros and sisters can sting multiple times. Honey bees have the barbed stingers which stick into fleshy critters like us.

bumblebee stings aren't too bad, and bumblebees are p chill. imagine i posted the see you in hell tweet.

e: actually fuckit

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh huh, I thought all those bees had the same kind of stinger. This thread was the last place I expected to get slammed with some bee facts!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
On the subject, not all wasps are rage monsters fueled on pain, suffering, and death and our focus on rehabbing bees so exclusively is loving up other species to our own detriment.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

admins please immediately check whether this poster is in fact a group of wasps

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The dangerous wasps are a subset of the social ones and I am a goon and thus ergo can not qualify.

QED.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dameius posted:

The dangerous wasps are a subset of the social ones and I am a goon and thus ergo can not qualify.

QED.

I have a feeling much of these forums are descended directly from WASPs

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

According to well-established avatar law, they are clearly a musical skeleton, no need to investigate further

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Wasps get into your personal space a bit too much but on the plus side they look loving awesome so I'm generally not too bothered. Just chill and gently fan/move them away so they don't feel threatened and they'll move on. They'll only sting you if you're panicking and aggressive but like, if a giant started jumping around trying to kill me I wouldn't be too kind either so I can't blame them. They're like gently caress you, you got all this good stuff and won't miss the tiny amount I need so just let me have some of it and I'm like, yeah, fair actually, and I know I'm a giant threat so lemme just be a bit mindful of that and not make you feel like you're in danger.

Bees are chill bros who just fly up, don't get too close, sample wharever flower or sweet you have nearby and when they notice you they're like poo poo, my bad, lemme get out of your space. Which is super cool of them.

Bumblebees are doofuses who don't look where they're going so they bump into you and they don't seem to have the space of mind to even apologise, they'll just move on to the next thing without even so much as an acknowledgement. On the plus side, they'll just as easily keep you company sampling that sweet nectar of the flower right next to you while humming that jazzy buzz.

They're all cool as gently caress.

The real assholes are mosquitoes and flies.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Taeke posted:

The real assholes are mosquitoes and flies.

Someone who knows more please correct me if I remember wrong, but I coulda swore I came across some study that basically concluded that there is nothing in nature that is critically dependent on the existence of mosquitos so if they were wiped out it wouldn't cause large unintended knock on effects.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
long as we're having a hymenoptera lovedump

I was having breakfast outside on Sunday and a yellow jacket was loving around and generally being a nuisance, per usual. it finally landed on my plate and tried to fly away with a small piece of scrambled egg, but the food was too heavy. so I carefully slid my knife in front of it and cut the already tiny piece of egg in half and it flew away with the half it had already latched onto and didn't return.

by far my most pleasant interaction with the copperheads of teh sky

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Dameius posted:

Someone who knows more please correct me if I remember wrong, but I coulda swore I came across some study that basically concluded that there is nothing in nature that is critically dependent on the existence of mosquitos so if they were wiped out it wouldn't cause large unintended knock on effects.

Mosquitoes are pollinators. Removing them from an ecosystem is a Bad Idea.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Yeah, also a lot of little bats eat a gently caress-ton of mosquito

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

good. slay the bats

also it was one of the many hundred species of mosquito, rather than all mosquitos forever

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Empty Sandwich posted:

hymenoptera lovedump

What's the limit on username length?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Good news, the humans are genociding themselves so we should be rid of them within soon.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dameius posted:

They're pretty significant general pollinators, but honestly I don't know if any particular type of flower has developed an exclusive symbiosis with them.

Still, we need to preserve pollinators as much as possible, what with so many species teetering on the edge. Which means that mosquitoes should be (grudgingly) kept around.

gently caress each and every Plasmodium, though.

good. slay the bats

Oh and a hearty and cheerful gently caress you too. Bats are awesome.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lemniscate Blue posted:

They're pretty significant general pollinators, but honestly I don't know if any particular type of flower has developed an exclusive symbiosis with them.

Still, we need to preserve pollinators as much as possible, what with so many species teetering on the edge. Which means that mosquitoes should be (grudgingly) kept around.

Here in Melbourne Australia our mosquitoes are spreading the flesh-eating buruli virus (possibly spreading it to possums first, who then pass it on to humans? We're not real sure) which I would sure love to avoid if at all humanly possible. :sweatdrop:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bats would also absolutely spread that flesh-eating virus if they could. if they knew about it they would stop eating the mosquitos

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here in Melbourne Australia our mosquitoes are spreading the flesh-eating buruli virus (possibly spreading it to possums first, who then pass it on to humans? We're not real sure) which I would sure love to avoid if at all humanly possible. :sweatdrop:

I was confused for a second why people weren't naturally repulsed enough by possums to stay away from them at all costs, then I remembered Australia inexplicably got the adorable version and we got stuck with the dumb garbage ones :sigh:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My parents had a sliding glass back door and one time my sister locked me out. I banged on the door not realizing there was a giant wasp nest at the top. I got stung 20-30 times in the head. The headache was incredible, my head was throbbing with the universe itself.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I traced their IP and I’ve got bad news

https://twitter.com/BunkiePerkins/status/1719377676429819914

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm really pissed that the Name of the Year bracket died a few years back. Amillion Buggs would have been a solid contender.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Better name his son Abillion :argh:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cthulu Carl posted:

Better name his son Abillion :argh:

“Amilliard”, surely.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Captain Hygiene posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fair and just

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

bats would also absolutely spread that flesh-eating virus if they could. if they knew about it they would stop eating the mosquitos

Why would you say that about the nz 2021 bird of the year https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/new-zealands-long-tailed-bat-is-crowned-bird-of-the-year-180978979/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The bats here in Melbourne are also delightful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm really pissed that the Name of the Year bracket died a few years back. Amillion Buggs would have been a solid contender.

that's a guy who can never have a normal phone conversation

"Hello, am I speaking with Amillion Buggs?"

terrifyingly loud buzzing