Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
why must every goddamn thing in NetSuite be so titchy? Oh, bill credit transaction types aren't able to be exported. Why? Because gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Getting an accounting degree shows you can do the work, not necessarily how to do the work. That's how it was explained to me anyway and made me feel a lot better coming into my first job.

Also for any job: there are bosses who remember their first day, and bosses who don't. Interviewing right now I'm making it a point to figure out good team fit and culture above all else.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Poque posted:

why must every goddamn thing in NetSuite be so titchy? Oh, bill credit transaction types aren't able to be exported. Why? Because gently caress you.

In the middle of a Netsuite implementation right now and kinda wishing we hadn't gone with them. Really this is the third major software implementation we've done this year and I'm just burned out on the whole process. It's all the same, sales people who promise the system can do everything you want it too then you meet the actual techs and oh, turns out it can't actually do that. Netsuite is especially bad about this, literally the worst sales process I've ever encountered. There were 6 sales meetings that were meant to be iterative but nobody retained anything from our last meeting so it was like starting from scratch with them every single time.

But I've worked with/looked at enough cloud based ERPs at this point and they really do all look and act the same for the most part. Kinda like UIs or controller configurations in video games, there was a lot of differentiation at first but after a decade or so everyone's figured out what works best and just steered towards that. So if it wasn't Netsuite it'd just be Sage or Yardi or something else I'd be complaining about..

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

Have you worked at nonprofits? Because no. Nonprofit accounting roles are extremely uneven. Some are great. Others are not.
yep. I work with a lot of nonprofits and a handful of them would be great places to learn as a staff accountant, but a lot more of them are understaffed/underbudgeted and run by an executive director who has absolutely zero interest in investing their time or budget in unsexy back-office functions such as "accounting".

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

19 o'clock posted:

Getting an accounting degree shows you can do the work, not necessarily how to do the work. That's how it was explained to me anyway and made me feel a lot better coming into my first job.

I'll never forget that I started working about a month after one of the other students also got hired. She had way better marks than I did, but was let go after a couple of months because she couldn't put the actual concepts into practice and never felt comfortable asking for help.

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01

ist fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 2, 2023

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I had three roles (industry) at the same company before I got poached.

I cried more in the first 9 months than I did in the 30 years prior.

gently caress accounting.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Zarin posted:

I had three roles (industry) at the same company before I got poached.

I cried more in the first 9 months than I did in the 30 years prior.

gently caress accounting.

Same'ish. Got poached to a job that made me question my interest in the profession after over a decade of being on good teams that didn't suck. I experienced what I believe was an anxiety attack which was pretty awful.

I chalk it up to having been very lucky in my career up to that point. I know the work can be good, but that bad experience has made me really do my best to ferret out what the culture/team/work looks like with any prospective employer.

E: I was also 9 months lol

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 20, 2023

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Jesus, is this common? I also got poached and ended up quiting in 9 months. Racist boss, terrible management, curses and insults thrown around, and the owners stealing money and causing us to get paid late. Just glad my new job at this airplane company is way more sane.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Maybe 9 months is the tipping-point sweet spot of “I should really have either mastered this mayhem by now or else it really is just untenable carnage” for people.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Thanks for the kind words

Good news got more work done the oast week and wasn't yelled at. At worst, I'm yelling at myself for not working faster. At least I am feeling like I am making less mistakes.

I have gone through possibly dozens and dozens of invoices. I am growing to dislike the people who don't send me a proper copy of the invoice with their signature, and then don't receive it correctly being off by hundreds of dollars only to then receive an automatic email that they'll be gone until next week.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 26, 2023

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I just got fired from my job.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I think I feel like I hate everything

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

That really sucks. Nothing wrong with being in your feelings for a bit, but for what it’s worth, that place sounds horrendously mismanaged. At the very least the job expectations seem well out of line with the entry level position they posted.

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
That sucks to hear. I know I'm just echoing what other people are saying but from everything you've said, your bosses set you up for failure.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It just feels like I wasn't given time to get mentored. Much less given anythhing for long term.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Annointed posted:

It just feels like I wasn't given time to get mentored. Much less given anythhing for long term.

Oh certainly and I don’t think anyone here would disagree with that. Obviously we’re only hearing your side of the story but firing any entry level person who seems to care and is making a good faith effort to learn is hosed

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
I had a very similar experience with my first job, so I sympathize a lot. I know the thought of restarting the job hunt so soon is horrible but I can assure you there are good offices out there where people will support you as you learn how to do the work and actually understand that there are going to be growing pains with new employees.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I can’t fire anyone in less than 12 months. That timing is insane

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Ungratek posted:

I can’t fire anyone in less than 12 months. That timing is insane

From what I seen the other people only last a few months at best. If this is how they treat me I have no idea what they're doing to others.

EDIT: I applied for unemployment. Messaged Danny Sitchel of Something Awful fame to update my resume and start job hunting.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 28, 2023

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Annointed posted:

I just got fired from my job.

Honestly, it sounds like this is for the best. I know it doesn't feel that way, but it sounds like the guy in charge has seriously unrealistic expectations and no one is good enough for them. So its inevitable there will be endless turnover while they wonder why they are always falling apart. Wash your hands of it, you're better off without this bullshit.

Don't get me wrong, it sucks, but this place sounded terrible. After 2008, a lot of offices got wild notions of what "entry level" means from the glut of experienced office workers that lost their job. And places who let that get to their head have absolutely lost touch with reality. With 2008 fading farther away and COVID having the opposite affect where there is a national accountant shortage, places like that are having wild wakeup calls as they expect entry level people to have 7 years experience and wonder why "no one wants to work anymore."

I'm letting some of my own frustations out, but I've been fired before. Twice. And I've quit two jobs for overwork, in one case, and open racism, in the other. It always sucks, but it's best just to say "gently caress these assholes," recongize you owe them nothing, that they're pieces of dogshit, and realize that you are better off now without them and you will feel much better at that new, better job waiting for you. And, honestly, if the guy is constantly auditing your speed when they knew it was your first job, your next job should be better. That's a wild thing to expect of even an experienced person in the first month. Like, I had 7 years experience, but it took me 3 months to just get used to the ERP system they use and get up to my full speed. What the hell was your boss expecting? Even experienced people need time to adjust to new systems and people.

Seriously, gently caress your old job. You're awesome. Best of luck.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Good Citizen posted:

Obviously we’re only hearing your side of the story but firing any entry level person who seems to care and is making a good faith effort to learn is hosed
this

Covok posted:

Honestly, it sounds like this is for the best. I know it doesn't feel that way, but it sounds like the guy in charge has seriously unrealistic expectations and no one is good enough for them. So its inevitable there will be endless turnover while they wonder why they are always falling apart. Wash your hands of it, you're better off without this bullshit.

Seriously, gently caress your old job. You're awesome. Best of luck.
also this

Echoing what everyone else said, it sounded like a lovely spot and you'll be happier for being gone. I got fired once and somehow quickly stumbled into an amazing role where, even years after having quit, I'm still invited to company parties. Life is weird sometimes. Despite how crappy things may feel right now, rest assured good work is out there. It's okay to feel annoyed in the near-term because it is disorienting to have a work situation fail but like everyone else said: don't let it get you down.

If you need any resume help you can hmu as well.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Good Citizen posted:

Oh certainly and I don’t think anyone here would disagree with that. Obviously we’re only hearing your side of the story but firing any entry level person who seems to care and is making a good faith effort to learn is hosed

This same thing happened to me about a year and a half ago. It sucks but those people suck worse and I'm sure we'll both land somewhere better.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Finance and Accounting goons open to new jobs? I just posted a Finance Supervisor ad:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3052395&pagenumber=55#lastpost

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

black.lion posted:

As a firm partner who cannot find accountants of any xp level to hire: The jobs are out there friends!! You'll find your spot!!! KEEP GOING

I'm a CPA with almost 15 years of IRS experience at various mid-to high level positions. My current total compensation is close to $200K. Earlier this year I was testing the waters after a friend of mine in public went from a manager role making $120K to $350K a year in her specialty tax area at a non-public firm. The only call I've gotten was for a contract job with no benefits paying $22 an hour.

There are jobs out there but most of them aren't going to pay enough to hire me away, and the hiring system itself is incredibly broken.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

heated game moment posted:

I'm a CPA with almost 15 years of IRS experience at various mid-to high level positions. My current total compensation is close to $200K. Earlier this year I was testing the waters after a friend of mine in public went from a manager role making $120K to $350K a year in her specialty tax area at a non-public firm. The only call I've gotten was for a contract job with no benefits paying $22 an hour.

There are jobs out there but most of them aren't going to pay enough to hire me away, and the hiring system itself is incredibly broken.

Where does one pull 350k in specialty tax outside of public accounting? That’s cool.

I’m a GS14 revenue agent with CPA and big 4 experience. Always figured I could jump back into something tax controversy adjacent if I for some reason wanted back in on the grind. What were you looking for?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah the high level roles are still there, at least in public, the question, as always, is is it worth it? I can only say maybe.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Mush Mushi posted:

Where does one pull 350k in specialty tax outside of public accounting? That’s cool.

Probably transfer tax stuff with multinational entities where they are playing games to keep revenue in low tax countries or rent their IP from themselves etc..

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Yep, the game has changed these days with Pillar 2 and GILTI, etc., but the game is the game.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I got a job interview tomorrow. This time a Security Firm. I'll make sure to ask question of how long accountants last there so I know if the company is going to dick me over like the previous one.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Good idea but maybe come up with a different way to phrase it

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Ungratek posted:

Good idea but maybe come up with a different way to phrase it

I did with asking the length they prefer accountants. And the general time previous accountants had. They went with wanting long term people. I guess they misheard me.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Ask what the goals/expectations are in the first few months or what the learning curve will look like for an early-career accountant coming in.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I got hired new job. Starts next Tuesday.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Congrats!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I am no longer employed (not fired, it's complicated), and not having a job or a rapidly approaching start date for the first time in a decade is a weird feeling. I guess I'll fix up my resume and reach out in a week or so to some recruiters who've been messaging me, but its not feeling especially urgent at the moment.

life just takes a weird turn sometimes

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
It’s a busy market for accountants right now. Checking with local recruiters is a good idea. I liked the idea of contract-to-hire so that if I wasn’t feeling good about a job after a few months I could go back on the hunt.

Just be sure to push that pay scale because it still feels like it’s 2016 as far as a lot of these salaries are concerned. Especially if you’re experienced.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023
I have an interview Tuesday with the California Franchise tax board as a tax auditor

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Zoeb posted:

I have an interview Tuesday with the California Franchise tax board as a tax auditor

Ask if you get the horns and pitchfork on the first day, or if you have to complete training first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Gabriel Grub posted:

Ask if you get the horns and pitchfork on the first day, or if you have to complete training first.

They actually emerge from within, you molt repeatedly as you get promoted.