Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

roger ebert loved titties so, so much

big ol black titties in particular

I miss him so much. Big black titties ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/anothercohen/status/1719408376793219285

lol that it got valued at 4 billion though

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/PCMag/status/1720848902964789625

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
gotta hand it to him, not the worst idea he's had if there's enough paypiggy whales out there dropping 50k for a dead username. speaking of which, wasn't google talking about deleting inactive gmail accounts?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Taima posted:

hating youtube and pining for the glory days of the written word :chanpop:

that’s right. YouTube is terrible if much rather have more written material.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1719701070119837807

in other words, work-from-home takes $51 a day away from our hard working job creators

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Bar Ran Dun posted:

that’s right. YouTube is terrible if much rather have more written material.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Danann posted:

in other words, work-from-home takes $51 a day away from our hard working job creators

It's like stealing from the economy

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

sullat posted:

I was just noticing pretty much the only thing that's cheaper now than it was 20 years ago is weed. I guess deregulation works!

really late reply to this but i think its funny that to the weed smoker it is great times. meanwhile the business is in a weird spot, about 10-20 years ago it was a good time to become a small startup business owner in many different areas. now everyone has been bled dry at every point in the chain with the only possible winners being the big business affiliated wannabe brand-chains that are trying to uber/lyft the industry(Think the big congloms that run Stiizy, Curaleaf, Cookies etc)... in the end the likely only profiteers will be local government parasites and the eventual anheuser-busch and marlboro takeover where the quality and potency will go to poo poo and the price will go to whatever the market will bear

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Danann posted:

this makes number go down though

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

DrPossum posted:

dont forget to turn your clocks back for capitalism

got my vitamin d tablets and sun lamp ready. the war on farmers has begun

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Danann posted:

yeah, WFH fuckin owns, my team lead who lives several states away tells me I need to go into the office one day a week and I'm about ready to tell her "make me do it and see what happens"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

in the end the likely only profiteers will be local government parasites and the eventual anheuser-busch and marlboro takeover where the quality and potency will go to poo poo and the price will go to whatever the market will bear
eh, the problem with this is weed is well.. literally a weed. it can be grown anywhere. even in places here in CA with legal weed there's still relatively thriving black(gray?) market domestic weed production because taxes are high and it's so easy to grow that there's still an ample market who are buying gray-zone. i think we'll see more consolidation over time on the legal market but i don't think it'll end up being only 2 or 3 megacorps that control it, particularly since it runs into issues as it's illegal Federally still

all the systems that used to exist to track, bust and lock-up weeders has been eroded as well. the State doesn't have the resources to put that genie back into the bottle.

tobacco on the other hand is actually pretty hard to grow and the quantities needed are much larger than a single bud. likewise mass production of booze is also kind of difficult but even all the nano-to-submicro brewers are still kicking even though the market has become insanely saturated

Xaris has issued a correction as of 08:17 on Nov 5, 2023

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

skaboomizzy posted:

yeah, WFH fuckin owns, my team lead who lives several states away tells me I need to go into the office one day a week and I'm about ready to tell her "make me do it and see what happens"

I'm in the middle of opening a new position (which I had to fight tooth and nail for, as we just had some layoffs), and I could only get it approved as an in-office position. Nobody this person is going to work with is in-office because we're all remote. Hell, none of us even live in the same state. Some folks even live outside the country.

There is literally zero reason to require somebody to head into an office for this job, but, no, that's what it has to be now. Because it will "improve collaboration".

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

OhFunny posted:

A curse on day light saving time and those who invented it for making my 12 hour shift 13 hours tonight.

same

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

Canned Sunshine posted:

And yeah, “make your own at home”, sounds great, except that when you purée up some sweet potatoes, or rice, or even certain grains, you’re probably going to still see lead, and possibly even at higher levels than what you’d get from a pre-made product. Which isn’t to say that premade products are great; they’re not, but there are certain filtering measures put in place to try and avoid bad lots, since that costs money, and it’d be hard for someone to replicate that at home.

But anyway, I’m gonna move on because I don’t want to turn this awesome thread into a running D&D discussion on this, but like I said, I have young kids. What they eat and drink, worries me every day, for immediate and long-term impacts. But there’s also only so much we can do. And we try. The only thing that gives me a bit of peace, is that it’s still better for them now, with us watching, than it was for me when I was a kid. That isn’t saying much, because it’s America, but it’s still something!

Also important to remember that much like using cloth diapers instead of buying them from the local big box store, making one's own baby food has it's own cost - time. Time is a luxury people do not appreciate until they have one, let alone multiple children.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'd rather kill myself than watch this entire video. This would have been a hundred times better in text

the move to video made everything intolerable

You can download transcripts from youtube. I took it one step further and then asked an llm to summarize and felt better about how I spent my time

quote:

- The speaker got a bad burger from Culver's, which he sees as a higher quality fast food chain. This led him to question if fast food quality in general has been declining.

- He has noticed fast food getting worse and worse over the past few years, with frequent mistakes, poor quality, and items being disgusting or inedible. This seems to be happening across all major chains.

- He asks viewers if they have noticed the same declining quality and issues with fast food lately. He also asks why people think this is happening and where they see fast food trending in the future.

- He will make this a video series, with the next video sharing feedback from commenters about their fast food experiences and perspectives. He welcomes all viewpoints, whether agreeing or disagreeing that quality is declining.

- The goal is to establish if there is a consensus that fast food quality is getting worse and understand people's thoughts on the causes and outlook. He wants to determine if it's just him noticing this trend or if it's more widespread.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

RealityWarCriminal posted:

got my vitamin d tablets and sun lamp ready

:negative: :same:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
The KFC double down is still the worst fast food I ever ate and that was like 14 years ago.

Value is down. Staffing issues cause problems. But the quality is the same as it ever was.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

DrPossum posted:

You can download transcripts from youtube. I took it one step further and then asked an llm to summarize and felt better about how I spent my time

See this only took me 10 seconds to read. Much better.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

SirPablo posted:

See this only took me 10 seconds to read. Much better.

doesn’t effectively convey what looks like a sickly young victorian man requiring a fainting couch for the “disgusting slop” from the butter burger place so it does exclude a fair amount of context

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

lousy hat posted:

doesn’t effectively convey what looks like a sickly young victorian man requiring a fainting couch for the “disgusting slop” from the butter burger place so it does exclude a fair amount of context

quote:

*faints onto chaise lounge* Oh the horror! This absolute scoundrel of a fast food establishment has besmirched my delicate sensibilities with their questionable culinary offerings. That dreadful burger was nothing short of an affront to good taste and decorum. The salty, cheese-laden slop was so offensive it made me question my very constitution. Perhaps a touch of the vapors is in order to recover from this assault on the senses.

I implore you dear viewers, has this growing fast food pestilence darkened your door as well? Let us commiserate over the decline of quality and care at these dining halls of ill repute. The burgers are burnt, the chicken vulgarly rubbery, the sandwiches positively swimming in impropriety. It is all so common, so very far beneath our superior discernments.

We must band together to reverse this descent into fast food madness. Our palates demand better than this never-ending parade of mediocrity parading about. Let our rallying cry sound - no more disgusting fast food for the masses! Perhaps a strongly-worded letter writing campaign? Fainting couches at the ready!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Oscar Wilde at least would absolutely enjoy himself at a fast food place. Though he'd probably like Waffle House more.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Xaris posted:

eh, the amount of tumeric powder in American French's(TM) Mustard that everyone eats is so miniscule, like how most american chocolate contains 0.01% cocao, that it's fine.

and even then most people are not eating large quantities of mustard either. so it's like yeah tumeric has some unfortunately detectable levels of heavy metals writ large that could be considered bad, but the amount is small relative to the amount consumed.

Probably just walking next to a freeway for 5 minutes is way way way worse for your health than worrying about tumeric. That's really more my point is pretty much everything is so heavily polluted, especially by tire particulates, that it's like welp oh well

that said I definitely wouldn't want to chow down on like 10+ grams of tumeric powder in a sitting every day but 1 tsp here and there is fine. In this case, it's just the nature of the plant and where it's grown/harvested and how it grows in soil conditions that it's gunna be more or less unavoidable. in terms of things I'd worry about in contemporary living, it doesn't even break top 20 that i'm using trader joes tumeric powder

e: If you really want to clean up your pantry, look at consumereports list and stuff, you might be surprised: https://www.consumerreports.org/health/food-safety/your-herbs-and-spices-might-contain-arsenic-cadmium-and-lead-a6246621494/

well while I hate the price of simply organic spices I guess not having heavy metals is worth the money

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

DrPossum posted:

And they keep saying there's no use case for AI

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

- The Angry Video Game Nerd is playing a bad game and this is making him very upset.
- The Angry Video Game Nerd would prefer to have a kangaroo defecate in his mouth than continue to play this game.
- The Angry Video Game Nerd wonders what they were thinking.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lousy hat posted:

*reading just the subtitles of a video*
this poo poo loving sucks

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

DrPossum posted:

Gee.. I wonder if the service industry workers getting constantly infected with SARS every few months for the past three years for minimum wage has anything to do with the drop in quality?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Gee.. I wonder if the service industry workers getting constantly infected with SARS every few months for the past three years for minimum wage has anything to do with the drop in quality?

It doesn't

Our produce and input has been consistently tailing in quality

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

This is largely offset by the consumers constantly being infected by a virus that impacts their ability to taste. Not covid, though.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The price of food is up 30% or more since 2019. If food is a significant part of your budget, and if you didn't get a 30% raise during that time, you got a pay cut. Fastfood used to pay poo poo, but now it pays 30% less than poo poo.

Imagine going to work and making 100 hamburgers per hour and you can't afford 1 of them at the end of that hour.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

The price of food is up 30% or more since 2019. If food is a significant part of your budget, and if you didn't get a 30% raise during that time, you got a pay cut. Fastfood used to pay poo poo, but now it pays 30% less than poo poo.

Imagine going to work and making 100 hamburgers per hour and you can't afford 1 of them at the end of that hour.

At Rivian I got a 7% pay raise at the beginning of 2022 and my boss was upset when I said "Thanks for the 2% pay cut."

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Salt Fish posted:

they should pray more and maybe they'll be more prosperous

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Mustached Demon posted:

they should pray more and maybe they'll be more prosperous

Federal Reserve: Hold the 'r'.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
American food quality has always been poor, especially if you lived somewhere else where it wasn't before immigrating here. I remember bitching about it in this very thread before the covid times and somebody crawled out and talked up how the FDA is more strict than the EU ignoring the point entirely

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SilvermanJacob/status/1721199819153178933

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

The KFC double down is still the worst fast food I ever ate and that was like 14 years ago.

Value is down. Staffing issues cause problems. But the quality is the same as it ever was.

There's definitely some shrinkflation going on in fast food and particularly "fast casual"

Less meat, more filler

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Salt Fish posted:

This is a great example to visualize exploitation of labor for the uninformed.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Danann posted:

When my partner left her job for a fully remote one we spent like a solid week doing budget estimates and came out at something like ~$28k/year savings for both of us working remotely, and that's with us being forced to keep our car anyway. If we could have ditched the car then working remotely would basically have been like having a third income. It already kind of is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Today’s dose of psycho poo poo romanticizing RTO

https://fortune.com/2023/11/05/ultra-commuters-hybrid-remote-work-careers/amp/

quote:

Prior to COVID he travelled from Chicago to work in Naperville—a 45-minute to 75-minute drive, depending on traffic—and in 2021 moved out to the smaller city to be closer to work. The only problem was, his job changed and he ended up with a commute back into Chicago.

For some people this seemingly unavoidable commute might be a bugbear—but for the associate vice president at a transportation company, it’s become welcome.

Walters told Fortune he refers to his 5 a.m. starts as “windshield time”—a chance to get his thoughts in order.

“When I get in I’ve had over an hour where I’m pretty focused, I’ve had time to prioritize my day and to think about the first two or three things that are going to be on my list,” he explained. “Especially when it comes to customer or internal meetings, I can make sure they’re more succinct because I’ve had time to think and plan already.”

Previously Walters, like millions of other people, saw his commute as a “necessary evil.”

He decided to try and shift his mindset to view the travel time as a positive thing, saying people should “take advantage of that rather than whining about it.”