Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

All but 1 and 5 blurred together in my mind because I was dumb enough to binge the entire franchise pretty fast, but I vaguely recall Phantasm 3 is the bad one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

MrMojok posted:

Shudder through Amazon and shudder directly from shudder don’t have all the same films available for streaming, for some reason.

turns out my library has a copy of the 2 disc blu ray, so I'm set.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Count Thrashula posted:

Exorcist 3
Friday 3
Halloween 3
Nightmare 3

All the best in their respective series... Makes you think...
I'll let this go but it's really Freddy's Dead 😏

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Howling III: The Marsupials
It's Alive III: Island of the Alive
Ghoulies III: Ghoulies Go to College
Piranha 3DD

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Skrillmub posted:

As someone who turned off the original Exorcist after half an hour because it was boring, I'd like to say the new Exorcist movie is fine. Hell, it's pretty good, really.
Someone of the bits feel a bit rushed, or a bit average but there's plenty to like.
That very very last scene was kinda fan service bullshit. Maybe that's what got everyone so mad.

What did everyone want? That felt like a modern day movie about a little girl(s) getting possessed to me.

Speaking from the perspective of someone who loved DGG's Halloween trilogy (thought it was a perfect trilogy, made me think higher of Kills, and I think of Ends as a top 2 or 3 Halloween film in general) this had almost nothing I liked and differed in many ways from that. His Halloweens felt like a tense, coherent, extended tale of how one body's evil can infect and poison a whole population, how important choosing to love and be good to one another is to even hoping to combat that long-term, and how crippling avoiding the past can be to accomplishing that goal. Believer feels like it was aiming for similar story-wise, but suffered from the facts that nothing about this felt like it showcased that energy, let alone at a solid pace for its runtime, let alone for the telling of a story that felt that satisfying even in one film, let alone in one film as the planned beginning of a trilogy

Maybe part of that was my heightened expectations from seeing that trilogy! Maybe part of that was from me seeing the trailers, which spoiled two of the 3 good scenes I thought Believer had, so that was lessened impact. But there were still pacing issues, there were still moments that felt rushed, especially that ending (which ironically had what felt like the most emotional performance in it), there was still baffling editing, and there was still some weird plot segments like the continued bullying of a woman who had an abortion, that all still stand out on their own

I don't blame DGG, I certainly don't think his Halloweens were a fluke, and I'll still watch the other Exorcists he makes if he's allowed to make them. But if this was just studio meddling, it stuck out like a sore thumb in almost every aspect I actually looked forward to because of how much I loved his Halloweens; and if it wasn't just studio meddling, I think everyone involved needs to just take more time with the rest of these efforts and focus on something more coherent, not just scarier like some of the more louder people exiting the film want (although I also want that, I'll settle for story. Fix the story, fix the editing, fix the cinematography, and tighten up the runtimes)

As is: I looked forward to it for two years, and saw better religious horror both the week before (The Pope's Exorcist) and the week after (Sister Death). Which I'm still happy about because hey, two good films right there! Not the end of the world that I was disappointed, and I'm still not as disappointed as other louder people (who clearly unfairly hate DGG) are. I hope the sequels are two more good films, and that I'm not disappointed again

Also Exorcist 3 is the best

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Stink Billyums posted:

Piranha 3DD

I love Ghoulies 3’s choice to be a subplot in a classic college boob comedy but Ghoulies 2 is a masterpiece.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve been a fan of DGG since Pineapple Express, Joe is an incredible movie and I can easily tell which episode he directed in any of the McBride shows

I hate him doing horror because I hate what he’s doing with these movies lol

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Howling 3 is amazing and I will die on that hill.

Were-thylacines! It’s amazing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Late Night With The Devil would have been such a kickass Exorcist movie. I don't even think you'd have to do much with it to fit into the chronology or the lore besides minor tweaks.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I’ve been a fan of DGG since Pineapple Express, Joe is an incredible movie and I can easily tell which episode he directed in any of the McBride shows

I hate him doing horror because I hate what he’s doing with these movies lol

i like DGG's Halloween trilogy, but he seems so much more comfortable and lined up with offbeat brash poignant comedy. i wish he'd get back on Righteous Gemstones or something with McBride full-time

he did have a funny scene in Bones And All, though

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 6, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m probably a glutton for punishment because I enjoyed DGG’s Halloween movies enough to give him another at bat at the exorcist franchise.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Stink Billyums posted:

Piranha 3DD

Piranha 3DD was actually the fourth or second movie.

edit: or fifth

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

alf_pogs posted:

i like DGG's Halloween trilogy, but he seems so much more comfortable and lined up with offbeat brash poignant comedy. i wish he'd get back on Righteous Gemstones or something with McBride full-time

he did have a funny scene in Bones And All, though

He’s still doing episodes on RG. He did a bunch last season.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

huh I thought Jody Hill had taken over mostly; DGG only did the Intermission last season I think

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I really want to know what draw in franchise horror is to DGG. The guy is coming up in an era of director driven original projects, come on David, you don't have to make "the further adventures of Michael" or "what if the The Exorcist had more than one possessed kid?" if you want to get your spooky movie made.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Franchises have a certain guarantee of funding and audience. A Nightmare on Elm Street 28: Freddy scares kids on the Starship Elm Street is almost certainly going to make back it's budget back just because of the NoES brand.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

High Warlord Zog posted:

I really want to know what draw in franchise horror is to DGG. The guy is coming up in an era of director driven original projects, come on David, you don't have to make "the further adventures of Michael" or "what if the The Exorcist had more than one possessed kid?" if you want to get your spooky movie made.

There's some stories that can be made more effective by being told in long established franchises. Like how a legacy of evil can infect a town, that has more weight when it's being driven by a character that's been around for 40 years (even if I think Halloween Kills is messy in it's execution of that idea)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
A Nightmare on Elm Street is just a higher quality franchise than your average horror franchise. The first one is a classic, and the basic premise allows for manic creativity. Even at its worst, you have some kind of surreal element baked in, and not just Guy With Knife Does Stab.

Well...unless they remake it with Jackie Earle Haley, Saint of Playing Pedophiles, and remove all of the fun and creativity :(

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 6, 2023

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Fnaf was pretty bad even in the under served genre of kids horror

C-Euro posted:

Finally finished Fall of the House of Usher last night, probably my second-favorite Flanagan after Midnight Mass. The only thing I didn't get was the significance of the scene in the first episode where Mama Usher comes back out of her grave, menaces her kids for a moment, and then strangles their dad. Is that just supposed to be foreshadowing of their eventual bouts with CADASIL?

Weird way to spell Detective Pikachu. I'll let y'all decide which one is misspelled though.
Are anime adaptations cheating? Cause every Tekken movie is great.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 6, 2023

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

WeaponX posted:

Friday the 13th 3 stinks!

:agreed: I've only seen 1-3 (and, of course, Jason X) and they're all kinda bad in parts but 3 doesn't have any moments that push it up into noteworthiness like the first two do, like 1's whole ending and 2's protagonist dropping Jason with a surprise kick to the nuts

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: Part 3 has the best theme music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOU0CgX40JU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

A Nightmare on Elm Street is just a higher quality franchise than your average horror franchise. The first one is a classic, and the basic premise allows for manic creativity. Even at its worst, you have some kind of surreal element baked in, and not just Guy With Knife Does Stab.

Well...unless they remake it with Jackie Earle Haley, Saint of Playing Pedophiles, and remove all of the fun and creativity :(

Robert Englund needs some credit as well for keeping ANOES entertaining by really just hamming it up with Freddy and having a blast doing it. It's difficult as an audience member to hate an Elm Street film whenever Englund is on screen doing his thing. The concept allows for manic creativity, as you mentioned, but Englund is what really fuels it.

Makes sense that when they recast Freddy and lost the mania the result felt like the sound of a wet turd dropping.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Granted my knowledge of Haley's been Bad New Bears and that shitshow NoES remake, what am I missing?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He was very good in Little Children playing a pedophile going after Patrick Wilson’s kid

Then they partnered up to become superhero’s in Watchmen where JEH killed a pedophile with a cleaver

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Counterpoint: Part 3 has the best theme music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOU0CgX40JU

This is true, I forgot how incredibly funky the theme is. A+ Halloween music

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

He was very good in Little Children playing a pedophile going after Patrick Wilson’s kid

Then they partnered up to become superhero’s in Watchmen where JEH killed a pedophile with a cleaver

Patrick Wilson also played a pedo in hard Candy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Time is a flat circle

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VROOM VROOM posted:

:agreed: I've only seen 1-3 (and, of course, Jason X) and they're all kinda bad in parts but 3 doesn't have any moments that push it up into noteworthiness like the first two do, like 1's whole ending and 2's protagonist dropping Jason with a surprise kick to the nuts

Watch part 6 (Jason Lives). It’s my favorite and has one of my favorite opening scenes ever

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Justin Godscock posted:

Robert Englund needs some credit as well for keeping ANOES entertaining by really just hamming it up with Freddy and having a blast doing it. It's difficult as an audience member to hate an Elm Street film whenever Englund is on screen doing his thing. The concept allows for manic creativity, as you mentioned, but Englund is what really fuels it.

Makes sense that when they recast Freddy and lost the mania the result felt like the sound of a wet turd dropping.

The Englund films have a very strong directors gallery as well. Some of the filmographies are patchy but everyone has at least one great horror flick. Craven is Craven. Jack Shoulder has The Hidden. Chuck Russell has The Blob. Stephen Hopkins has Predator 2 (it's good, or at least very fun, damnit!). Renny Harlin has Deep Blue Sea. Rachel Talalay has Tank Girl (which isn't properly spookly but is a singular thing) and some great scary Doctor Who episodes. Ronny Yu has Bride of Chucky.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 6, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

VROOM VROOM posted:

Red Letter Media just did a re:View on them, it's funny
Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpBerLYqT78
Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxRA_VAxlMA

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Did you watch Dylan's New Nightmare?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51JPiePa5dc

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 6, 2023

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

High Warlord Zog posted:

The Englund films have a very strong directors gallery as well. Some of the filmographies are patchy but everyone has at least one great horror flick. Craven is Craven. Jack Shoulder has The Hidden. Chuck Russell has The Blob. Stephen Hopkins has Predator 2 (it's good, or at least very fun, damnit!). Renny Harlin has Deep Blue Sea. Rachel Talalay has Tank Girl (which isn't properly spookly but is a singular thing) and some great scary Doctor Who episodes. Ronny Yu has Bride of Chucky.

I watched The Hidden the other day for the first time, had never even heard of it before. It was awesome and I didn't know the director also did a NoES.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Rewatched Deadstream last night. What a fun little movie it is. Really makes the most of its budget and the youtuber-esque "personality" feels very authentic. Even though he's a total poo poo head I still find myself rooting for him. Dude's comic timing was pretty great. I hope they make another movie or three.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I watched a doc about Englund's career recently and they were talking about how the producers seriously considered just recasting Freddy after the first NOES. It kinda makes sense when you think about it, this was 1984/85 and they'd seen the Friday the 13th series go through like three different Jasons at that point, so why pay Englund a bunch of money when we don't have to?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

VROOM VROOM posted:

I adore all the stupid 3d shots in Part 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQfWibFXtO4

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'd really love to see F13 Part 3 in proper 3D, but from what I recall, it requires a specific setup that no theatres have anymore?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
False, because I saw it in a theater in 3D a few years back. It was dope. Still the only F13 I've seen because slashers generally aren't my thing, but also I think seeing one of these suckers in 2D would just be a disappointment after that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Yup, I have a soft spot for those things, but that's what makes it my favorite.

I also love how entirely unnecessary the whole thing with her dropping Shelley's wallet into the lake and her going to get it is. It adds nothing to the scene at all. Also how out of focus the shots of her talking to Jason are.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'd really love to see F13 Part 3 in proper 3D, but from what I recall, it requires a specific setup that no theatres have anymore?

nah you can still see it in 3D. it's just those basic polarized cardboard glasses. I havent seen a screening happen in awhile, but it was a fairly common halloween event or whenever a F13 day was happening.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I love Part 3, it's so goofy but in a really engaging way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Unless it's a factor of the type of 3D( Real D vs Stereovision), most theaters should be able to handle it. I'm not fully versed on the nuances of the tech to know if that's enough of a difference.