Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Sakurazuka posted:

The first SO game is spending 15 hours walking between three towns and then it ends.

It took me 25 hours cuz I didn't know there was a run button lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Persona 5 is a game I want to play, but I have this hangup in RPGs about being able to grind out levels if I want to, even if you dont really need to. I know I can use Mementos or whatever its called in P5 to do this, but that takes up valuable time to make social connections right? Is it true that there's no real way to grind out XP or personas without costing time? Even regular dungeons dont allow this because of how expensive it is to replenish SP. Unless I'm missing something.

It'd be nice to just be able to go to a dungeon at the end of the day when you've done everything else and work on your party/personas.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Books On Tape posted:

Persona 5 is a game I want to play, but I have this hangup in RPGs about being able to grind out levels if I want to, even if you dont really need to. I know I can use Mementos or whatever its called in P5 to do this, but that takes up valuable time to make social connections right? Is it true that there's no real way to grind out XP or personas without costing time? Even regular dungeons dont allow this because of how expensive it is to replenish SP. Unless I'm missing something.

It'd be nice to just be able to go to a dungeon at the end of the day when you've done everything else and work on your party/personas.

just grind in the story dungeons and mementos when a story mission requires you to go there. you get infinite rests in both and time won't progress until you leave. between that and just always fusing upward you'll be fine for your first playthrough. don't worry about crafting some "perfect team" until your second go at least

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

persona is not an unforgiving series from 3 onward, dont sweat it too much. just do what you enjoy your first run and save the tryhard stuff for ng+ on a higher difficulty

run 2 is for making coffee every day, the whole game, so that maybe by the end grandpa starbucks may treat you as an equal. that's the secret ending

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 7, 2023

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

The Colonel posted:

is that a subversion. the trope is still the premise of the entire game

I'd say so. The herbs don't actually cure the disease, for one. And the characters' motivation to fight Asmodeus is to get the real cure for the disease, rather than how in most games the fetch quest is just an obstacle on the way to the big fight.

(I haven't beaten the game and have avoided spoilers, so don't tell me if this turns out to be untrue.)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/joffeorama/status/1632553812543283201?s=20

Funniest monster I've ever seen

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Buck Wildman posted:

just grind in the story dungeons and mementos when a story mission requires you to go there. you get infinite rests in both and time won't progress until you leave. between that and just always fusing upward you'll be fine for your first playthrough. don't worry about crafting some "perfect team" until your second go at least

Yeah I know I overthink these things. Can you grind in dungeons without SP though? And I usually only play these games once.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Books On Tape posted:

its super easy to max out all the s. links if you just rush the fortune teller s. link for her bonus to friendship gains. you wind up with a ton of days with nothing to do.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
P5R is super super generous with time yeah

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Books On Tape posted:

Yeah I know I overthink these things. Can you grind in dungeons without SP though? And I usually only play these games once.

there is an item you can get from the clinic eventually called SP adhesive that refills your sp as you walk around while it's equipped. just share that around while near a save point and you're in good shape. I mean it kindly when I say you have a way more daunting opinion of persona's challenge than is warranted. smt it is not

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It's also easy to do it without fortune's buff if you in p5r. And it's way too easy to overlevel of you spend 1 day post dungeon clearing out egg baby's star hunt in mementos. Especially on hard mode.since fights are kind of easier since weaknesses matter so much more.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
plus p5r lets you do in-cafe activities like making coffee or watching a video even if you dungeon crawl that day

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Levantine posted:

Wrath is fundamentally better in every way, I think. Be aware it's a LOT of game, especially if you play the DLC. Wrath is much more forgiving, timewise but does have a couple points of no return that are signposted really well. As far as the ruleset, it's "Pathfinder, but more" so that may not change your mind.

Alright, thanks. I'm going to keep it on my wishlist and get it next time it's on sale.

Also good to know about the annoying gimmick area, that does seem like something that's going to get on my nerves.

e: the 'Mythic Edition' is on sale right now, but not the base game? I don't really get it but I'm buying it

e2: how does this make any sense, it's not even a sale, the base game costs €39.99, and the bundle that includes said base game + has a bunch of other stuff costs €26.70. Why would anyone ever not get the bundle?

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 8, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Books On Tape posted:

P5R is a truly easy game outside of its optional superboss(es). I'm a person who is bad at games, and I found P5R on both Hard and Merciless* trivially easy beyond the second dungeon or so. It just gives you too many ways to become strong.

Also, Mementos will overlevel you whether you want it to or not, unless you deliberately ignore the XP upgrades.

* People will say Hard is harder than Merciless, and this is sorta true for normal play. Merciless makes it easier to do more damage to enemies, but also creates a real risk of enemies hitting character weaknesses or critting. In the end it doesn't really matter much either way, since you'll still end up overpowered unless you deliberately handicap yourself.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I can't understate what a massive difficulty spike the fifth palace boss is. They belong as an optional superboss in a hardcore RPG, not slap bang in the middle of a breezy life-sim.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I finally got ahold of SO2R. I went with Claude and picked Galaxy difficulty, which I was a bit worried about going in, because I wasn't sure what traits I'd get (the game doesn't let you check until you reach Arlia), but it looks like I got 'Nimble Fingers' which I'm guessing is the remake's equivalent of the Dexterity trait, so I'm set if I want to do the stealing exploits. :toot:

I just did the intro section, but I do like the presentation of it so far. Being able to toggle between soundtrack, and voices is nice. Claude's English VA isn't quite what I was expecting, but it isn't bad. There's options for JP voice-overs from SO2R and the PSP version, but no option for the original PS1 English dub (which I know was just the battle lines, but I thought maybe they'd be in there, since they had a page for the original English credits).

It might have been a mistake to pick SO2R up when I'm still working on Xenogears (having only made it to Nisan), but I felt pressured with everyone talking about it.

Speaking of...

Levantine posted:

Star Ocean feels like the gold standard for these kinds of remakes and I hope they take notice. It's everything I loved about the original but without the tedium of the era. It feels genuinely modern now.

I'd love to see Xenogears in the same style.

:yeah: A remake of Xenogears would be cool, and since that game's already 3D with 2D sprites, it seems like half of the work regarding layout would already be done.

At the same time, I've found XG to be really impressive with what they pulled off on the PS1 in regards to environments and texture work, so updating it with more modern visuals...I dunno.

pixel bitches posted:

The first star ocean game owns and hell so does the second one

I found out there was a Star Ocean First Departure R for PS4/Switch as well. How is it compared to SO2R?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 8, 2023

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Did they change where you get the Fortune accessory in SO2R? It used to be the reward for the survival arena challenge, but now that gives something else.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Max Wilco posted:

I found out there was a Star Ocean First Departure R for PS4/Switch as well. How is it compared to SO2R?

It's First Departure PSP, but with better portrait art by Akiman (you can switch to the dreadful PSP art if you want and the FMVs use it too), and a few tweaks but keeps mostly the same otherwise. It also doesn't have texture filtering for the overworld or sprites and uses a very clean pixel font so it looks excellent and not like a lot of the other SE ports of the time

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

P5R is super super generous with time yeah

To the point where I wasn't even trying to max all the social links and I ended up maxxing every single one of them but strength iirc

I could've done that one too probably but I kinda just straight up forgot about it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only hard part of Persona 5 R is fifth boss and when a storyline boss is easier if you raise the difficulty than if you lower it something has gone wrong with design.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So is Persona 5 a good game if you're not familiar with the series? I'm actually not big into JRPGs in general, not out of chauvinism or because I hate their design, but because they usually release only on console (which I don't own) or put out a garbage PC port as an afterthought. I did end up liking Dragon's Dogma a lot, and Final Fantasy XV (the only FF I've ever played) was entertaining enough when I played through it on PC two years ago.

I see that Persona 5 has excellent reviews on Steam, even better than Baldur's Gate 3, so I'm assuming it's a competent port.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

So is Persona 5 a good game if you're not familiar with the series? I'm actually not big into JRPGs in general, not out of chauvinism or because I hate their design, but because they usually release only on console (which I don't own) or put out a garbage PC port as an afterthought. I did end up liking Dragon's Dogma a lot, and Final Fantasy XV (the only FF I've ever played) was entertaining enough when I played through it two years ago.

I see that Persona 5 has excellent reviews on Steam, even better than Baldur's Gate 3, so I'm assuming it's a competent port.

Yeah the modern Persona games are self contained other than some references here and there. You could jump right in, and 5 is a good starting point.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It was (is?) on game pass so like you dont gotta buy it to try it.

That said its a very specific flavor of game, even in JRPGs and even in its family line.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

It was (is?) on game pass so like you dont gotta buy it to try it.

That said its a very specific flavor of game, even in JRPGs and even in its family line.

It's leaving gamepass very soon or already did I forget.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's leaving gamepass very soon or already did I forget.

Already gone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

persona 5 is decent. i think its writing has issues and the gameplay loop isnt perfect but its very slickly executed and has great presentation, and i like some of the characters. and yeah you dont need to have played the previous games, there's a few background cameos and thats it. theres one midgame plot point that works better with knowledge of the series but it makes sense in context even without that.

everything ive heard about the pc port is that the only real issue is that it includes all the dlc from the original release for free, including the stuff that kinda breaks the game. but you can just not bother accepting the dlc, or not use the items/gear.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I think the game's writing nosedives after the first arc (Where it's clear they got an extra pass/time rewriting it so it feels way more cohesive than the rest) but the poo poo Royal adds is honestly some of my favorite character writing the franchise has done since 3 so it's probably worth seeing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

I finally got ahold of SO2R. I went with Claude and picked Galaxy difficulty, which I was a bit worried about going in, because I wasn't sure what traits I'd get (the game doesn't let you check until you reach Arlia), but it looks like I got 'Nimble Fingers' which I'm guessing is the remake's equivalent of the Dexterity trait, so I'm set if I want to do the stealing exploits. :toot:

It's not actually necessary in this. You can teach yourself Nimble Fingers pretty easily by crafting with the character in question (and same for most other talents and their respective IC specialties I believe).

Also, you should be able to check as soon as you leave the starting forest via the Status menu (but as mentioned it doesn't really matter much).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah the modern Persona games are self contained other than some references here and there. You could jump right in, and 5 is a good starting point.

Alright, sounds good. I'll wishlist it. I'm seeing different versions on Steam, I'm guessing Royal is the one I want?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I had been wanting to play a Persona game (or a SMT game in general) for the longest time, but hadn't for various (pedantic) reasons. I got Persona 5 and I liked it a lot. I agree with the critique that first arc is the best, and after that, it drops off, but it isn't bad; it's just not as strong. That said, I've only played the original release, so I can't really comment on Royal, but it adds a lot of good content.

I'm curious about that P5 Tactica game that just came out, though I still have P5 Strikers to play (I guess there also Dancing in Starlight, but I'm not into rhythm games.)

Ytlaya posted:

It's not actually necessary in this. You can teach yourself Nimble Fingers pretty easily by crafting with the character in question (and same for most other talents and their respective IC specialties I believe).

Also, you should be able to check as soon as you leave the starting forest via the Status menu (but as mentioned it doesn't really matter much).

That's what I mean: the menu button didn't work until I got out of the forest. When I tried playing the original, I think I was able to check it as soon as you gain control (before Claude gets teleported), because I know I restarted a few times before I got Dexterity with that version.

I'm glad to hear you can learn it easily in the remake. I feel like I should just play the game normally, but getting OP early on is very tempting. Then again, I got lost trying to figure out everything you needed to do, and it sounds like there's a lot of RNG save-scumming involved.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Alright, sounds good. I'll wishlist it. I'm seeing different versions on Steam, I'm guessing Royal is the one I want?
Persona 5 Royal is the only version of Persona 5 on steam. Tactica and Strikers are spinoffs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tactics is on game pass so I am going to play it even if I really did not vibe with P5R because I have problems

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

I'm glad to hear you can learn it easily in the remake. I feel like I should just play the game normally, but getting OP early on is very tempting. Then again, I got lost trying to figure out everything you needed to do, and it sounds like there's a lot of RNG save-scumming involved.

That's the great thing - you can still get OP early on. I got a Goodie Box from (I think) one of the many challenges, and I think that can be turned into overpowered weapons if I wanted. And the challenges themselves give you tons of money/points/items.

I'm actually playing on Universe despite being new to the series, at least until I hit a wall where I no longer can.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Strikers is a spin-off in combat style, but it is a direct sequel to the story of P5.
Tactics is an outright so far off spin-off, just treat it as a fanfic spin-off territory.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

GateOfD posted:

Strikers is a spin-off in combat style, but it is a direct sequel to the story of P5.

But not P5R! Which makes sense due to developmental time but is also like, whaa

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Star Ocean 2 is a semi-remake of the first. The difference is that when you begin the second act, like Nede in 2, the game immediately ends. They bit off more than they could chew and only half the intended game could fit into a SNES cart.

Wouldn't be the only time where the second half evaporates in a JRPG...

When I played Star Ocean 1 in like 1997, it was probably my favorite poo poo. It was the first RPG to hardcore challenge me with the hidden dungeons and bonus dungeons, and it played in a really unique way. I wasn't super good at Japanese yet, so I was more invested in the gameplay than the story (which I had to confer with some friends to really understand).

In 2023, I don't particularly feel that strongly about it anymore. Playing the SFC version is fine and dandy, but if you put First Departure under a microscope, it just seems like a shittier version of Second Evolution/Story R, and I wouldn't have said the same back in the 90s after playing Second Story for the first time.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
NGL I honestly liked the story in Strikers more than the new semester in Royal

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

Just finished a regular 'ol Galaxy playthrough of SO2R. Love the remake, extremely pleased with what they did with one of my all-time favorite games. Party I used for final stuff was Ashton/Chisato/Precis/Celine, which is an extremely bizarre thing for me to have typed. Rena and Noel were both healing from the bench, and I used a lot of items.

I think I'm more likely to immediately start a Universe playthrough and try out the other characters than do all the optional stuff. I'm extremely interested in how the other characters play.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Is there stuff in P5R that would invalidate the stuff in Strikers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GateOfD posted:

Is there stuff in P5R that would invalidate the stuff in Strikers?
theres no particular reason sumi wouldnt be in strikers if royal happened