Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I accidentally went to Costco in Ohio and it made me sad because they can’t sell liquor. So dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
you should have been sad

when you went to ohio

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Please bring back the onion dispenser, Costco.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

having lived in texas/oklahoma/florida my whole life, the thought of being able to buy liquor in a grocery store is completely foreign to me

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Space Jam posted:

having lived in texas/oklahoma/florida my whole life, the thought of being able to buy liquor in a grocery store is completely foreign to me

Canadian and holy poo poo was my world rocked ten years ago when we changed laws to let grocery stores do wine and beer. Sadly Costco hasn't done that yet.

Of course I could just drive ten minutes, cross the river to Quebec and get cheap Quebec beer and wine at Quebec Costco PBUC

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Bought a cheap 50" hisense tv off costco.com yesterday, arrived today no apparent problems. Thanks costco.

Great brand ime

gets the job done

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

bunnyofdoom posted:

Canadian and holy poo poo was my world rocked ten years ago when we changed laws to let grocery stores do wine and beer. Sadly Costco hasn't done that yet.

costco has been involved in lobbying for those rules to change in at least one US state I know of

they want to sell you shrink-wrapped pallets of liquor

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Psion posted:

they want to sell you shrink-wrapped pallets of liquor

when can I get this?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Tried the Costco brand pulled pork from the prepared food isle. I went in with low expectations but I figured it couldn't be that bad.

Nope, it somehow went far below my already low expectations. If you told me it was the reject scraps off of a breakfast ham production line I'd believe you. The only way I could salvage it was by covering it in bbq sauce to hide its taste.

I'm gonna feed it to my FIL and throw the rest in the trash

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Costco was a big push behind liquor sales in grocery stores in WA. I still like the liquor store near my house, though, since they have a better variety.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Renegret posted:

I'm gonna feed it to my FIL and throw the rest in the trash

lol

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
In MN you aren't allowed to sell directly liquor/beer in grocery stores, but they can have a liquor store with a separate entrance in the same building. Most Costcos here have one and they're great.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

schreibs posted:

when can I get this?

honestly i'm disappointed you can't already

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Currently eating a dry dog. It's great.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I had a pep slice and strawberry fro-yo with strawberries on it for lunch today.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Space Jam posted:

Until late 2009 I lived in one of the few 24/7 dry counties left in Texas after Prohibition (as in no alcohol sales allowed anywhere at any time ever except in restaurants and clubs) and it sucked rear end. Liquor sales are still banned within county limits, but just being able to buy beer and wine in a grocery store was a huge upgrade when voters finally overturned that poo poo.

I don't think I've ever seen a grocery store sell liquor.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 9, 2023

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

I. M. Gei posted:

Until late 2009 I lived in one of the few 24/7 dry counties left in Texas after Prohibition (as in no alcohol sales allowed anywhere at any time ever except in restaurants and clubs) and it sucked rear end. Liquor sales are still banned within county limits, but just being able to buy beer and wine in a grocery store was a huge upgrade when voters finally overturned that poo poo.

I don't think I've ever seen a grocery store sell liquor.

you gotta go to commiefornia where they hate freedom and the government meddles in everything for grocery store liquor

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Or Michigan. I remember walking down the aisles of Walmart looking for de-icer and there were handles of vodka on the shelf and figured it was a good way to kill two birds with one stone

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It's really not fair for me to weigh in on this but you can buy booze here in Wisconsin anywhere. Beer/liquor/wine. Grocery stores, Walgreens, CVS, almost every single gas station, purpose-built liquor stores, etc. You can buy beer until 12am and liquor until 9pm. Probably starts at 8am or something.

It's always weird when I go into a gas station here and they don't have beer. Sometimes it's been because they got their license taken away from selling to minors or they just don't have the space. I'd imagine it's always profitable.

I bought a 30 pack of Milwaukee's Best Light at a BP yesterday for $17.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Brother Tadger posted:

Or Michigan. I remember walking down the aisles of Walmart looking for de-icer and there were handles of vodka on the shelf and figured it was a good way to kill two birds with one stone

State laws are super dumb. In Michigan, we are an ABC state, so everything sold at retail has to be submitted and approved by the ABC, but then anybody who wants to sell it in their stores can - there's no exclusivity allowed. I see Kirkland brand liquor at liquor stores all the time, for example. It still prevents a ton of brands from being distributed here, and we aren't allowed to have liquor shipped in-state, either, but sometimes you'll find online stores who have no qualms ignoring state shipping laws.

The one silver lining is that grocery stores like Meijer can sell booze without issue.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 9, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm pretty sure if you live in Wisconsin an angel pours beer into your mouth whenever you look up at the sky

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's what they tell you it is, anyway

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I saw Lewis Black do this bit in a small tent at Summerfest about 20 years ago. It loving killed. Everyone loved him while he was dunking on us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtUnmG5WP78

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I bought a 30 pack of Milwaukee's Best Light at a BP yesterday for $17.

Wow what a deal

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SirPablo posted:

Wow what a deal

It's made in the same plant as Miller Lite.

Which I guess doesn't help my argument but it's union made.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Cursed trip. I don’t know what I bought but I got $244 of it. The 505 boldly claims “new size!” but it’s just way smaller. The food court was “closed until further notice” which I didn’t discover until I had gone through the checkout. I bought new wiper blades but when I got home I realized someone had put a 20” back in the bin for 24” and naturally that’s the one I grabbed.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

david_a posted:

Cursed trip. I don’t know what I bought but I got $244 of it. The 505 boldly claims “new size!” but it’s just way smaller. The food court was “closed until further notice” which I didn’t discover until I had gone through the checkout. I bought new wiper blades but when I got home I realized someone had put a 20” back in the bin for 24” and naturally that’s the one I grabbed.

Robert J. Costco is rolling in his grave

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Psion posted:

honestly i'm disappointed you can't already

its funny that a guy with the last name butt named his tv show after gas

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I like the new 505 size because I can use it without it going bad, without having to make a huge chili verde every time

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I had a pep slice and strawberry fro-yo with strawberries on it for lunch today.

They replaced the froyo with real ice cream at mine and it’s not as good :(

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Corb3t posted:

I accidentally went to Costco in Ohio and it made me sad because they can’t sell liquor. So dumb.

Welcome to all of Canada :(

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I didn't know how hosed state liquor laws could be until I moved to Seattle last year. It's loving ridiculous. Like half the price of the bottle is added taxes on top of the regular price in CA where I lived. The Costco hard liquor section in Seattle is a cursed place.

Not much of a drinker so whatever but I get mad on principle.

I saluted the American flag every time I walked past the Kirkland American Vodka handle for $10.99 in my home state of California. Let freedom ring.

david_a posted:

Before they brought in the smaller bottles they clearanced out the bigger ones for like 4 bucks. So I bought 2-3 of those bad boys and should have bought more but my god accursed wife starts up with the prattle "we don't need 5 bottles of 505 chilis" really gets me going to hear that in church.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Went to church last night, picked up a bag of Tajin gummy bears and some Chicken Shawarma from the fridge section. Gummy bears are absolutely my jam, so I hope they become part of the regular rotation. Has anyone else tried the shawarma chicken?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

david_a posted:

Taima posted:

Yo quick fyi, the giant jars of flame roasted 505 green chilis are $4.97 (on clearance) at our local Seattle-area Costco. Could be worth looking- that poo poo is amazing. That is 1.13 kilos (40 oz) of chilis for $4.97

StormDrain posted:

They're replacing it with a 32oz version. Source: it came to me in a dream.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
My only real exposure to Costco is in Hawaii and Arizona where you can buy booze and in Hawaii you can even get cigarettes

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've heard about these tajin funny bears multiple times now, gonna pull the trigger cause I think my partner'll love em :yum:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Tajin + Chamoy on grapes are so good.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I dream of the day I can buy a bucket of 300 mg funny bears at costco

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Corb3t posted:

Tajin + Chamoy on grapes are so good.

in retrospect, tajin + chamoy in the mango smoothies could have made them palatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

sock it to me! posted:

I dream of the day I can buy a bucket of 300 mg funny bears at costco
Will probably take federal decriminalization, but with almost half of all states making it legal now there's probably a decent chance that could happen in our lifetime.