Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that's just exchange rate stuff though.

I've been trying to get gdp(ppp) but I can't find one for the eu vs us.

So you'll have to settle for gdp per capita for us vs eu:
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/gdp-per-capita-worldbank?tab=chart&country=OWID_EU27~USA

tl;dr it was always bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The American economy remains the envy of the world!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

isn’t they mostly removing the uk

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

the next step is hopefully to remove england from the map

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There's been a lot of solutions floated, nukes, continuous artillery bombardment, controlled asteroid drop, shaped charges all along the base to make it float away, but the best way is probably just to erase them from all the maps and pretend they don't exist, it'd make them so mad

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

OhFunny posted:

https://www.wsj.com/us-news/americas-population-projected-to-shrink-by-2100-census-figures-show-3c4d60cc?mod=mhp

Who was the guy who wrote that One Billion Americans book? Because that ain't happening.

The Census Bureau has revised its population estimate downward by tens of millions. This is the first time they have estimated a peak and decline of the USA's population too.

All those China population collapse talking points was projection, huh?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

euphronius posted:

then it’s not accurate

Maybe they finally got new live expectation numbers out?

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Frosted Flake posted:

Have any of the new generation of kitchen gadgets lowered the value of luxury foods?

Instant pots and air fryers aren't about letting every dinner party host serve the same food as the Savoy, I feel like they haven't had the same impact as the appliances of the 1950's did. KitchenAid stand mixers are still a prestige item, and I don't think it's a coincidence they have reintroduced the 1950's colours.
Sous vide or long time low temperature cooking lets plebs make some dishes with consistent results.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Sous vide or long time low temperature cooking lets plebs make some dishes with consistent results.

sous vide helps you get your daily serving of plastics and phthalates

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
ive been employed, now maybe I can finally affor--

https://twitter.com/CIDRAP_RDSP/status/1659564793328553987?t=dOcyTUqwtVm6rAeN9iKLgg&s=19

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

euphronius posted:

all that made up fantasy money in the london finance sector, poof gone in the blink of a baguette

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

euphronius posted:

this, exchange rates, and Europe not having a big 10X / unicorn / spac tech sector bananza. the "size" of the US economy is in no small part propped up by Tesla, Netflix, NVIDEA, and co

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I'm currently in a presentation with a bunch of dipshit execs, and one of them said that a big reason why they're looking to go all-in on ChatGPT for stuff like writing code is because it's good at coming up with bedtime stories for his kid.

A+ thinking skills there, buddy.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Isn’t a huge chunk of Americas GDP from real estate?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

Isn’t a huge chunk of Americas GDP from real estate?

yes and the remainder is late fees and interest payments

its total bunk

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Healthcare is also a huge chunk.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Business Gorillas posted:

When people think of lobster that's "trash for poors", iirc they'd just throw a bunch of lobsters in a vat and mash them together, shells and all, for prison food

Another instance of the dictatorship of the bourgeoisie. Business psychos demand to be paid for their resource retraction regardless of how pointless it is and the state obeys their schizophrenic masters.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

thalweg posted:

paid for (temporarily sustained) with government and consumer credit card debt

its debt all the way down baby!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

almost 40% if the gdp is white people sitting in offices

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The economy is fine

Apr 7, 2003

thalweg posted:

Healthcare was ~22% of the entire GDP last time I heard numbers and the talk in clinical quality was about how that was utterly unsustainable in the long run and had to be cut down. Wonder how we're going to cut that!

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Family leave checks dried up a couple weeks back and I got a verbal job offer, today they called and rescinded the offer :shepface:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mad.radhu posted:

Family leave checks dried up a couple weeks back and I got a verbal job offer, today they called and rescinded the offer :shepface:

gently caress that sucks. I hope you get something soon.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Mortgage rates back down to 7.5%

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Healthcare was ~22% of the entire GDP last time I heard numbers and the talk in clinical quality was about how that was utterly unsustainable in the long run and had to be cut down. Wonder how we're going to cut that!

Transition to a funeral services based economy.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

anime was right posted:

by next year its gonna be the worlds greatest spirit halloween

finally a rival for

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

like me, the economy is both depressed and retarded

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It is evil and must be dismantled

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Kreeblah posted:

I'm currently in a presentation with a bunch of dipshit execs, and one of them said that a big reason why they're looking to go all-in on ChatGPT for stuff like writing code is because it's good at coming up with bedtime stories for his kid.

They literally want a world where they can describe something and it happens on its own because they are completely detached from material reality and live in a bubble where things are simply paid for and they appear after a while

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Oh cool, an Israeli pharmaceutical company withholding necessary medicine for the sake of profit.

Kreeblah posted:

Make a ChatGPT executive. I'm sure there's an AI tool to make a generic old white man in a business suit read out the text too.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

when i first saw little promos of the las vegas sphere i was like oh that's kinda neat i guess

more i saw it the more i hated it, gauche as gently caress
then i saw the incredibly stupid and lovely interior and hated it even more
then i learned it was owned by james dolan and my disgust cannot be contained

hope a meteor hits it, drawn to its blinding ugliness

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

ceo wants to gently caress around and find out. good for him.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Kreeblah posted:

Once you make it to exec status, stop doing real work, it's all just v i b e s b r o. scary amount of western society is run like this

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
maybe hamas can add a new target to their list

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Mortgage rates back down to 7.5%

housing market saved! time to refinance any day now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

We need to nationalize the Orb.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

had an 8 hour layover in London, walked around Windsor castle and the surrounding neighborhood and reestablished my intense disdain for English people. vile toothless trash that all look like characters from the muppets.

Apr 7, 2003

double nine posted:

that's just exchange rate stuff though.

I've been trying to get gdp(ppp) but I can't find one for the eu vs us.

So you'll have to settle for gdp per capita for us vs eu:
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/gdp-per-capita-worldbank?tab=chart&country=OWID_EU27~USA

tl;dr it was always bad

It's cool that the little dip in 2020 there was enough to convince the people in charge that we'll never do public health again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

DrPossum posted:

i will never preheat an oven. that's the oven's job