Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lpzie posted:

I'm gratified when I see a new novel ad. They bring awareness to new products and sometimes it's something I need. So I appreciate that. On a repeat though I'm fine mentally tuning out and remaining calm. I think it makes me a better person in the long run.

Lol people who think they can tune out ads make advertisers in the wild salivate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Super cool that goons are so contrarian they will stan for literally anything.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I hope one day they will do a reboot of Mad Men set in 2023. Millennial Don wears a beanie and a mustache and instead of alcohol he is micro dosing shrooms and doing DMT during bathroom breaks and on one of his trips the machine elves give him the idea of the snarky rear end in a top hat Wendy's Twitter account

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

which season of that has someone jumping out a window after losing everything on a cryptocurrency scam

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
If the internet stopped being poo poo then we wouldn't even need ad blockers.

gently caress you, internet!!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Old One posted:

A cuck is at least gratified on their own terms.

Lpzie posted:

I'm gratified when I see a new novel ad.

Welp, Ad Cuck it is then. I guess they're fine when you don't have any intelligence left to insult.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

roomtone posted:

the post was about how internet browsers inevitably enshitten themselves, creating the space for something to come in and easily be a better alternative, and you go straight to the heat death of the universe
I didn't even blink when they did that. I just nodded along, all "yes, yes. We're all going to die quite soon."

It's a thought that permeates everything now. I can't even feed my dog without wondering what kind of diet I'll be able to provide for him once they decide anybody who doesn't own land can shop at a store or whatever loving horror is coming for us.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
[Anime villain voice] Only two things are guaranteed in life: Death and ads.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

GolfHole posted:

I'm still having 0 problems with this and its either because:

1) I'm in Canada
2) I also have a chromecast which I didn't pihole and so every now and again if I queue something to the TV directly I do actually see ads, even though all my PC browsers have adblock

Can anyone confirm either theory

I live in NS and definitely got all variations of the message in chrome with ublock, including the in-video one. I switched to firefox with ublock for the past week and haven't gotten it at all.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

EorayMel posted:

[Anime villain voice] Only two things are guaranteed in life: Death and ads.

dang, you got out of your tax obligations then? not the worst trade-off I've heard tbh

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

LividLiquid posted:

I didn't even blink when they did that. I just nodded along, all "yes, yes. We're all going to die quite soon."
I mean there are threats to our way of life and civilization that are very real but a feeling that the world must end roughly within your own lifespan and an intuitive incredulity that you could die and things would just go on is just something very human and perhaps not something based on those real threats. You'll find the same sentiment in, say, medieval poetry, not even necessarily based on religion, just a sense that things are bad and getting worse and surely they have to end very soon, coincidentally, within the writer's lifespan. I think it's telling that very few people think the world is going to end in, say, 200 years, even though that might be just as reasonable. It's always ending about coincident with one's own end.

Also I now have to use two types of adblockers, one which blocks the requests, and another which allows them but then kills the ads. Whenever one stops working the other will work.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 15, 2023

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Anyway I have been using adblocker and more importantly uBlocker on firefox and the closest youtube has gotten to threatening me is all the videos automatically pause at the beginning. No scroll-stopped pages. No warnings telling me I can only watch 3 more videos before I can click out and then watch 3 more videos and get barred from accessing youtube ever again. I don't even have to manually purge caches and reset filters.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Freetube has been great for me (zero issues) and friendly+ browser on iOS has been 50/50. I will never give in to the ads. Surely our attention is the only true currency.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Yeah I understand other people aren't willing to jump through hoops to avoid ads, every has a different threshold and that's cool. I'm willing to go full richard stallman to never see an ad.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

hot date tonight! posted:

Yeah I understand other people aren't willing to jump through hoops to avoid ads, every has a different threshold and that's cool. I'm willing to go full richard stallman to never see an ad.

No it loving isn't cool. It isn't cool that we as a society accept the stupidest shittiest humans or pretend like they aren't the stupidest shittiest humans.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Duck and Cover posted:

No it loving isn't cool. It isn't cool that we as a society accept the stupidest shittiest humans or pretend like they aren't the stupidest shittiest humans.

Don't sign your posts

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

emSparkly posted:

Don't sign your posts

Excuse me but I use an adblocker which makes me better than those who do not.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

it’s the only reason we still let you post here m8

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Seems like it'd be better to channel that hate at companies and advertisers. If people are too afraid of being exiled once people find out they make ads, then they might stop serving them to us.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Seems like it'd be better to channel that hate at companies and advertisers. If people are too afraid of being exiled once people find out they make ads, then they might stop serving them to us.

I think there's plenty of hate to go around.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Make love, not ads

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
in retrospect, tho, is there any popular media in the US which wasn't partway or mostly contrived as a manner to sell ads? I think the only way to fully avoid them is to only read zines, and I'm not seeing all of you at the local zine fests, just sayin'

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
still avoid ads, I'm in the gently caress ads camp, just pointing out the horror that is: the entire system is designed to sell ads from the bottom up and working as intended

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Khanstant posted:

Lol people who think they can tune out ads make advertisers in the wild salivate.

This reminds me of when I used to use the free version of Pandora. There'd be an ad that started with "Want to listen without ads?" I'd say "Yes" and take out my earbuds for 15 seconds.

I eventually got the paid version (specifically Plus) in a free promo from my phone company and could never go back. So I guess they win? But that's only $5 which is an amount I'm willing to pay for a service.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

StrangersInTheNight posted:

in retrospect, tho, is there any popular media in the US which wasn't partway or mostly contrived as a manner to sell ads? I think the only way to fully avoid them is to only read zines, and I'm not seeing all of you at the local zine fests, just sayin'

I was pretty happy with the internet when it was full of zines, blogs, and webcams of coffee makers.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Webrings would make a comeback if advertising went away.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Honestly, the "platform as product" business model is more corrosive than advertising. It was literally designed to swallow the old web.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

roomtone posted:

if i hadn't been using adblockers for the past 15 years i don't know if i would watch anywhere near as much youtube as i have

cos those 30-60 seconds of ads i've occasionally been seeing lately is more than enough for me to stop and think wait, maybe there's something better to do than watch this video

Yep. I literally did not know youtube had ads until like 5 years ago because I've been using an adblocker forever. I never used youtube on my phone and found out that way.

I don't watch youtube videos on my phone because of the ads.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

R.L. Stine posted:

youtube is going to hack my files

There's a hilarious as campaign on the London underground at the moment about how ~illegal streams~ can HACK YOUR COMPUTER!!! :nsamad:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There’s a version of that which is true — tons of people are sideloading Android apps for pirated media and in many parts of the world that’s creating a surge in malware infection and financial fraud. Like, entire bank accounts are getting emptied out.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
when divx shut down stage6 it was the start of all that poo poo. immediately there were a million sites mimicking it but when you tried to watch spider man or whatever the gently caress you had to download a special codec which was obviously not a codec

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Running ublock origin on firefox, got the ad warnings a whole back. Tried updating everything to the newest everything, but didn't work. Gave up and suffered dreadful ads.

But I just turned it back on like a week ago, and I'm not getting any warnings... Okay.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Running ublock origin on firefox, got the ad warnings a whole back. Tried updating everything to the newest everything, but didn't work. Gave up and suffered dreadful ads.

But I just turned it back on like a week ago, and I'm not getting any warnings... Okay.

If it's the filter caches you updated, weirdly it took a few tries for me to get it to take when I started getting the countdown clock too. I just purged and updated maybe 2 or 3 times and then I was able to watch videos again. Not sure what the hell was up with that, but it didn't survive real resistance so I'm not fussed about it.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
can we add something about filter caches to the thread title?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Why after all this time does uBlock and AdNauseum not have some kind of an option to enable auto-updating the caches when YouTube does?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

They don't want to crash github.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Nettle Soup posted:

They don't want to crash github.

I mean like an option to check on your own end, every 15 minutes or so. Counting from the second you enable it, so everyone isn't doing a request at the same moment in time.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Why after all this time does uBlock and AdNauseum not have some kind of an option to enable auto-updating the caches when YouTube does?

Part of the issue is just that: youtube pretty much automated the anti-adblock site directory to bloat adblock definitions, and it worked for a time. Turns out purging your cache and reacquiring them can make that 250k definitions file back down to a reasonable 20k, for example.

The other issue is that you may not be online/browsing/connected when an update is pushed, so it will just have to update at startup to be sure anyway. Mobile prevents network traffic while updating so you don't accidentally flag your session by being hasty, which is easier due to the mobile version using less bandwidth to work through(in theory).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

GABA ghoul posted:

I hope one day they will do a reboot of Mad Men set in 2023. Millennial Don wears a beanie and a mustache and instead of alcohol he is micro dosing shrooms and doing DMT during bathroom breaks and on one of his trips the machine elves give him the idea of the snarky rear end in a top hat Wendy's Twitter account

Lane tries to commit suicide with the exhaust from his car before realizing it's a Tesla.