Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

I was already having a poo poo-assed day so it's a good thing this loving RV wheel cover thing appeared in the middle of the highway to cheer me up!

Cracked radiator and plenty of shredded plastic splash guards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BuckyDoneGun posted:

How much should it cost?

They used to cost half that when I got my S-Works 8 years ago. Given how much that bike copped and how many kms its done, was well worth it at 10K, it's done 80,000 kms. Near 20K tho? Yeah naaaaah.

The last 5 years has seen some eye bleeding jumps in what a good bike costs. Even low end that ain't crap got some cost

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Back in the day (90s - early 2000s) the top of the line MTBs topped out at £4k. That was the seemingly industry agreed price ceiling. Then they realised some people had too much money and started pushing that price higher and higher and bikes then really did start to become a truly middle class white guy pastime.

The stuff you get now really isn't as advanced as they would like you to believe, suspension systems have all kinda settled on the multi pivot thing pioneered in the late 90s, they just tweaked it all slightly year on year. Forks were pretty much a solved 'problem' back then too, they've just been improving quality. Same with disc brakes. Frame materials haven't changed either, carbon is being used more but again, it already existed in those top of the line bikes.

The bike industry is a great lesson about pulling the pants down on people and getting them to pay too much money for a product.

The only real 'innovation' that has come through in the past few years or so is e-bike tech and they're all too happy to add at least a grand premium for the privilege despite the kit they use not being the latest or greatest.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

The unholy union of a motel ice maker and the HVAC on the roof of a shopping mall

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Back in the day (90s - early 2000s) the top of the line MTBs topped out at £4k. That was the seemingly industry agreed price ceiling. Then they realised some people had too much money and started pushing that price higher and higher and bikes then really did start to become a truly middle class white guy pastime.

The stuff you get now really isn't as advanced as they would like you to believe, suspension systems have all kinda settled on the multi pivot thing pioneered in the late 90s, they just tweaked it all slightly year on year. Forks were pretty much a solved 'problem' back then too, they've just been improving quality. Same with disc brakes. Frame materials haven't changed either, carbon is being used more but again, it already existed in those top of the line bikes.

The bike industry is a great lesson about pulling the pants down on people and getting them to pay too much money for a product.

The only real 'innovation' that has come through in the past few years or so is e-bike tech and they're all too happy to add at least a grand premium for the privilege despite the kit they use not being the latest or greatest.

I think you are underselling just how much better brake / suspension / frame actually have gotten, even if they are overpriced (often very overpriced). I had a 2013 Epic Marathon which for the time was expensive and the bike directly below S-Works and riding a 2022 Levo alloy SL is a real eyeopener - the Levo is actually not that much more than what the Epic was (Might even be cheaper at the moment) and there's no match in just how much better the Levo is even on paper. Way WAY better to bomb decents, far better under brakes and a suspension much better sorted. The Levo is a mid level bike and it would eat alive anything top level from 5 years ago.

But in the pricing respect, yes absolutly - The Epic was 6500AUD and the S-Works about 2K over that. The same one below S-Works now is 14K. The Levo SL alloy is for sale at 6500 right now and thats still high but no where NEAR what they were selling for a year ago so there is some market correction going on finally

(The premium e-Bikes carry I think has some justification. Unlike the some of the more obnoxious dweebs of SA' bike discord I think e-Bikes are awesome and are a great second car replacement and after basially living with one for the last two months it's re-woken my love of cyclcing esp how drat fast even a mid power one is if you want it to be)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I think you are underselling just how much better brake / suspension / frame actually have gotten, even if they are overpriced (often very overpriced).

The incremental improvements are not worth the price tag, buying a model a few years old for way less than half the price will net you 95% of the performance of anything they're selling new as groundbreaking. 2016 is probably the time period where frame design was starting to settle around the same ideas so you would be getting something you will likely never outgrow in terms of capability and you'll be getting it for pennies.

I was riding what were effectively motocross bike dual crown suspension forks with enormous Hope 4 pot calipers on 8" rotors and a frame with multi link suspension 20 years ago (Marzocchi 888s are 20 years old, gently caress).

The mountain bike industry's list of innovations this past decade:

Slacker angles, longer bikes
Bigger wheels
Add a motor and a battery
ENDURO BIKES

Slacker angles were already a thing if you did any sort of downhill, longer frames have been available off the peg for at least 15 years too because I have one.

Bigger wheels is a natural response to the huge tyre fad in the late 90s when people ran 3" tyres trying to make it easier to get down a hill faster.

The motor and battery thing I can't actually dig them for because as someone who occasionally did 20+ mile cross country routes on a downhill bike I would have loved a motor attached to my bike for help.

Enduro bikes are just what people were building when I was riding every other day, bigger travel, bigger brakes, slacker angles to do everything on. That the industry has has managed to sell it as a whole new market is funny. Kinda same thing with Gravel bikes which are just Cyclocross bikes with a few tweaks...

I don't follow the road cycling world but when I picked up my road bike in 2011 I was obviously coming from the MTB world and wondering quite why the gently caress they hadn't started using disc brakes. Low and behold a year or so later they started to become a thing and it's probably the best thing to happen to road bikes in forever.

Anyway this is making me want to get out and ride, there's a new play park the next town over with a bunch of jumps that I need to embarrass myself on.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I was already having a poo poo-assed day so it's a good thing this loving RV wheel cover thing appeared in the middle of the highway to cheer me up!

Cracked radiator and plenty of shredded plastic splash guards.

Someone defaced the side of your car, too

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

monopoly money

They already said AUD

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

No. 6 posted:

Someone defaced the side of your car, too

He got that Hotwheels flame design

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jonny Nox posted:

You can’t sell that in 2023, it would never pass impact testing. Also I bet it can’t support the weight of the vehicle on the roof.

Like do you think your legs would get broken in multiple places in a head-on or would your ankles just get severed?

Where would the side-impact airbags go?

If they could make the Smart Car safe for US roads, then they can mount a bed on it to make the modern iteration of the Econoline.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

EasilyConfused posted:

They already said Dollarydoos

Even in regular dollars, that's like $12k

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm here to ruin your day with a stanced slammed postal truck :colbert:

here's a shot of it during the planning phase, apparently

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I want to chop up an LLV and make something fun

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Wrong thread.

bike chat derail: wheels are incredibly stiffer now than they were even 10 years ago. Frames more compliant with tunability to the rider's demands. The above S bike has reconfigurable headstock angles. It's still a linkage yeah. That misses the geometry of the linkage that now requires no lockouts on pedaling. The wheel actually moves up and down now, rather than in an arc centered around the swingarm pivot like it did 20 years ago. That makes a huge difference in the rocks.
It's still a carbon frame and the process is still more or less the same as it was 5 years ago. maybe somewhat close to 10. Older than that? not really. That is akin to saying "yeah this car is made of steel so there's no reason to pay more for it" nevermind that the steels are used differently.
Drivetrains are built to significantly tighter tolerances now. Dirt stuff comes with a clutch that prevents the chain from dropping. That was just starting to be a thing a decade ago.
Is the 2024 better than the 2003? yes, by a lot. That's like the comparison of a 50s car to a current car. A 2010ish era bike? yeah that's getting into the 70s vs now.
My decade old stumpy sworks is still putting in the miles. I thought i'd break it in half first, not the f350 that carried it.

anyway. Vote on the slammed usps truck or something.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 15, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Wrong thread as gently caress, slammed LLV owns

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Low Life Vehicle

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hadlock posted:

Such a right thread post. Slamming ruins everything.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
The hot rodded UPS truck was better.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Hadlock posted:

wrong thread

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wrong thread, punks not dead, gently caress you dad, slam government vehicles everyday etc

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

If they could make the Smart Car safe for US roads, then they can mount a bed on it to make the modern iteration of the Econoline.
There's a company here that converts Volvos and other cars into car haulers, converting one into a flatbed/pickup should be easy.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Wrong thread, this looks cool as gently caress and anyone saying otherwise wears Birkenstocks and cargo shorts.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

weg posted:

Lowrider Life Vehicle

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

anyway. Vote on the slammed usps truck or something.

You heard the IK, vote now!

(Altho I can see where this is going already and as much as a I hate slammed cars that van is tickling all the right places)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Hadlock posted:

Wrong thread.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Hadlock posted:

wrong thread as per usual

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Hadlock posted:

Wrong thread. At worst it’s hilarious.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thread as wrong as that LLV is low.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Wrong thread. It's all about the vibes.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Wrong thread, mail truck rules.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Right thread. Too low and the wheels are gross.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
There was a nothing that can be done to an LLV that's worse than their working careers.

Wrong thread, slammed LLV is cool as hell.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Hadlock posted:

Wrong thread.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

This thing is slammed as hard as the LLV drivers door does when you forget to lock it open all the way when driving between a bunch of short mailboxes, owns bones, wrong thread

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Wrong thread, this looks cool as gently caress and anyone saying otherwise wears Birkenstocks and cargo shorts.

hey, i happen to be wearing both of those right now and i agreed with you!

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Collateral Damage posted:

There's a company here that converts Volvos and other cars into car haulers, converting one into a flatbed/pickup should be easy.

A stunning display of a youth supporting it's elder through tough times

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Galler posted:

Galler posted:

You’re correct. Still voting wrong thread.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Right thread. Slammed vehicles are stupid, and that one in particular just looks broken down. It doesn't look worse per se, since that's their natural state, but it's sure as poo poo not awesome.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Wrong thread. It wraps around when you slam an LLV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I've gone to some lengths to document that the true lovely head gaskets are actually the 3.0R's, the EJ25 is reliable is gently caress in comparison. Oh and good luck when the 3.0R's head warps due to that lovely head gaskets. Absolutly no one should go near any 3L H6 Subaru, it is a grenade waiting to happen in ways the EJ series never could hope to match

Mine isn't a 3.0R, it's the earlier EZ30 with the terrible exhaust ports

randomidiot posted:

I don't like the 05+ simply because you can't replace the drat stereo in it. The interior is a little nicer, but not much.

Watch me.
(Metra et. al. make double-DIN dash panels.)

Also, I would love a 5-speen manual in this thing, but that's a no-go due to wife's back issues (clutch use hurts her, otherwise she would prefer a manual. Every car she had prior to the OB was a manual.)

Imperador do Brasil posted:

As I’ve posted before, I use my Acty for:

Full Miata hardtop

Motorcycle

Firewood

I know we all have a collective hard-off for the Cybertrukk but I honestly don’t understand it from any viewpoint. Regular Tesla issues and not useful as a truck.

Edit:

Also scrap metal

And 12+ bales of hay but I can’t find a picture of that

I want the slightly bigger version of that with a ~1.6L 4-banger (think Mazda Bongo, etc.) so I can actually use it on the highway occasionally.

PainterofCrap posted:

7x4 bed between the tubs
Inline 6
Three on the tree
3/4-ton payload (so Ford says)

empty weight: 2400-lbs

It's not hard to do. We've already done it.

I like this.

Jonny Nox posted:

You can’t sell that in 2023, it would never pass impact testing. Also I bet it can’t support the weight of the vehicle on the roof.

Like do you think your legs would get broken in multiple places in a head-on or would your ankles just get severed?

Where would the side-impact airbags go?

And here we go.

Hadlock posted:

Gimme. I'd drive it as long as it has AC. And maybe a little sound deadening. Oh, and something a bit more ballsy than the Tech 4.

Wrong thread.