Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Rinkles posted:

i don't understand how hosting something like that makes financial sense

It didn't make any sense in any way, quite frankly lol.

At least the Las Vegas Grand Prix isn't as full as hopium as the relocation of the Oakland A's to Las Vegas. Their stadium rendering here shows a lovely sunset except for the fact that the stadium's actual position points NW and the sun sets directly facing homeplate. The only time you see the skyline like this in LV in summer is if the game is played at 5AM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
max is an utterly joyless racing golem so yeah of course he is going to say that.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

nawilo_420 posted:

max is an utterly joyless racing golem so yeah of course he is going to say that.

Max: Less MARKETING more (Twin Ring) MOTEGI!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nawilo_420 posted:

he's very big into race science like his second dad, helmuth marko

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

max just doesn't like doing media and he's not as dominant at street circuits. simple as.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Max being annoyed makes me like it more. If you’re going to make a living in the traveling circus, sometimes you gotta put on the clown suit and dance for brad pitt and justin bieber

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

I have no doubt the race will be successful for many years, I just wonder about USA's ongoing fandom. COVID + Netflix + Competitive Championship is a mix of ingredients that comes along once in a generation. Let's see how my fellow Americans feel after Max gets his 7th championship in a row.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

MaoistBanker posted:

I have no doubt the race will be successful for many years, I just wonder about USA's ongoing fandom. COVID + Netflix + Competitive Championship is a mix of ingredients that comes along once in a generation. Let's see how my fellow Americans feel after Max gets his 7th championship in a row.

Well when Andretti and Haas are in a tight competition for 9th in the Constructors, it will bring in the average Americans

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

MaoistBanker posted:

If we get an American driver within striking distance of the driver's cup you'll see a lot more attention. Barring that, put Danny Ric back into Red Bull. He wouldn't have hosed up like Chico did. :D

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Cimber posted:

If we get an American driver within striking distance of the driver's cup you'll see a lot more attention. Barring that, put Danny Ric back into Red Bull. He wouldn't have hosed up like Chico did. :D

Danny Ric would have had like neon lights and poo poo on his car for the LVGP like Octo-1

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

MaoistBanker posted:

Max: Less MARKETING more (Twin Ring) MOTEGI!

Sign me up for some Motegi :getin:

Cimber posted:

the driver's cup

Excuse me, the what? :thunk:

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

FAUXTON posted:

he's very big into race science like his second dad, helmuth marko

lol

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

GramCracker posted:

Excuse me, the what? :thunk:

This thing: https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-8282c3299523c548b9741b86f917ccdb-lq

Now, if we had to choose one, which would we keep, Miami or Vegas?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Rewatched the start. Love that lap, turn 1 yolo by Max. Not even close to trying to take the corner in any reasonable fashion...

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cimber posted:

This thing: https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-8282c3299523c548b9741b86f917ccdb-lq

Please tell me we do have to choose one.

It's irrelevant really, Vegas is signed up for 10 years and is the only race promoted by Liberty themselves. It's staying.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

imo the problems with vegas can be fixed way easier than the problems with miami because vegas has a better track layout and isn't increasingly at risk of being flooded. There's also plenty of room in nevada to build a very nice race track if they ever wanted to take it seriously.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

boy those tire temperatures really produced some wild and unpredictable racing like everyone was talking about.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

one hundred points to you for being right on the internet goon sir

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I can guarantee you khablaman's victory lap is going to be 20x longer, more condescending and obnoxious so no reason to get salty over me making a modest victory post.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I was surprised Miami didn't spend the year after the first race fixing that awful chicane and elevation change before the track dips under the highway on ramp. It's not a corner built to be a challenge it's just crap.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

America culture is all about style over substance. Look at Disney land. As long as it looks impressive on TV they aren't gonna be concerned with how poo poo it actually is.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Cimber posted:

Vegas x100.

Miami sucks, I'm not even talking about the race which is also bad.

tony quidtana posted:

America culture is all about style over substance. Look at Disney land. As long as it looks impressive on TV they aren't gonna be concerned with how poo poo it actually is.

The dichotomy is funny because while this is certainly true we also have some of the genuinely best places on Earth as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Miami will sink into the ocean so it's a problem that is going to fix itself

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MaoistBanker posted:

The dichotomy is funny because while this is certainly true we also have some of the genuinely best places on Earth as well.

The average American's definition of best place on earth lmao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The natural environment in huge parts of the USA are top tier

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
whatever america's faults, at least it is still infinitely better than terf island

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

nawilo_420 posted:

whatever america's faults, at least it is still infinitely better than terf island

Not an incorrect statement

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

tony quidtana posted:

The average American's definition of best place on earth lmao

Yosemite > Earth

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

nawilo_420 posted:

WTF is terf island?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Cimber posted:

WTF is terf island?

England

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Gotta agree with him. Max is a fellow grognard.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Cimber posted:

WTF is terf island?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

tony quidtana posted:

boy those tire temperatures really produced some wild and unpredictable racing like everyone was talking about.

you must have stopped watching before the first turn

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

MaoistBanker posted:

Yosemite Glacier Ntl Park > Earth

ftfy :colbert:

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 19, 2023

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Alaska is really pretty, ngl.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Glacier set my bar of expectations for parks extremely high and it seems like Alaska is one of the few places that can beat it. Alaska seems absolutely insane to me with how "raw and untouched" a vast majority of it is, definitely high up on my list of places to venture to in the near future. Denali Park alone is just :psyduck: to me, it's stunning.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

When I lived in Fairbanks as a kid, we would daytrip to Denali by train during the summer. It ruled.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

GramCracker posted:

Glacier set my bar of expectations for parks extremely high and it seems like Alaska is one of the few places that can beat it. Alaska seems absolutely insane to me with how "raw and untouched" a vast majority of it is, definitely high up on my list of places to venture to in the near future. Denali Park alone is just :psyduck: to me, it's stunning.

I was very lucky to see Denali on a clear day. Even from 50 miles away the mountain was massive.

First night there my daughter and I accidenally stumbled upon a bull moose. In the middle of Fairbanks. drat thing was 50 feet away from me and about 30 feet behind it was a doe.. I made sure to make lots of noise to let them know where I was and to not startle them as we walked away.

The next day when I told the tour guide what happened she turned white, and told me we were very lucky. Turns out we were in the middle of the rut, when bulls are very aggressive.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Rinkles posted:

i don't understand how hosting something like that makes financial sense

The Sphere cost $2.3 billion to build.

F1 is cheap in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

I broadly agree with Max but also F1 is clearly travelling in the direction of showy bullshit and the wrestling intros a few years back should have made that obvious, trying to change that while the company running it has "grow USA audience" as a main objective is like pushing water uphill, and also he drives for probably the most showy bullshit "here to party" team that it's possible to pick.

They're trying to grow their American audience by doing all the things Americans actually hate about American sports and then putting the race on at a time most Americans can't watch. Great strategy.