Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

lol the little tiny shipping crates

lmao everyone walkin around with jewelers glasses to look at em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lol

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Fungah! posted:

unrelated, biggest laugh in th movie for me was harold pinter died. wait, no he won the nobel prize

my biggest laughs were the daughter death scene where she forces him to say hes gay and then doesnt forgive him anyways, then the other woman comes in and goes "i hope your happy, human being" and "I DIDN'T JUMP, SAMMY!"

thanks for the epic sig el spider

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Bacurau: really cool but too loving long. desperately needed to take like a half hour off this movie. But once it got going it was a lot of fun that imo made up for the drag at the beginning. the townsfolk killing the murder tourists back owned. i was shouting at the screen when lunga grabbed the machete. was kinda interested with the music direction from the beginning of the film with the title music and then the funeral march but the rest of it didn't really land or felt weird like the synthwave capoeira jogo lol. 3.5/5

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I really really like Synecdoche, NY even though its pretty brutal watching this man fall apart physically. it reminded me a little of Barton Fink where there's this artist trying to make something "real" but he's so removed from the world that it's just impossible, here with PSH ignoring that the world outside the warehouse has basically ended, like he even knows that something like 99% of the population has died but it has no bearing on his work. also he's so miserable all the time that he seems to think that's the sum totality of human existence, as seen when every single note he gives to the actors is some negative experience, even though people around him are often having nice life experiences. he's always focused on poo poo, often literally.

too many good jokes to list here but I laughed hardest at "I think it was smoke inhalation" and also his father's tiny casket

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
omg cayden. just say yes to hazel for the love of god. when she asks him out for a drink he's literally pawing at the glass but can't admit he wants one of the few things he has the ability to achieve

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Watching synecdoche when i get home

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Synechdoche, New York. Moving, bleakly funny, and terrifying. Despite a two-hour runtime and covering what must be two-third's of caden's life the film has a great sense of momentum due to some clever time progression that also functions as thematic reinforcement. Watching caden's life, relationships, health, and psyche rapidly deteriorate is brutal, so relatable are the fears of sickness and death that we all face in our lives. psh shows a lot of nuance playing someone preoccupied with things outside of his agency and neglectful of what choices are his to make, but kaufman reinforces often that our decisions unfold into consequences that could be decades away (hazel perishing in the fire just as she feared, just after finally connecting with caden T__T) I feel the most climactic part of the movie is when Caden and Hazel finally connect after Caden speaks for himself for once in his life, love the line "i breathe your name in every exhilation." Others attribute thoughts to caden that he sheepishly confirms all throughout the movie and to see caden boldly and truthfully communicate is triumphant and gives a sense of hope. i love the decision to slowly show the end of caden's life after that night, death still comes after your greatest accomplishments.

honstly my only problem with this movie is that on my fourth time watching this movie i noticed the prosthetics on psh a lot more which pulled me out a little bit. the latter half is the more challenging and emotional section and psh's face being laden with heavy makeup and silicone inhibits his performance a bit in the second half. 4.5/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I just watched Synecdoche NY and loved it. I think it struck a perfect balance between humor and drama. The bizarre atmosphere really keeps it from ever getting too bleak. I feel like I'm going to have to re-watch it soon just to try to pick up more of the little things going on in the background no one ever really comments on. The big stand-out one for me was Sammy in the background of several shots long before he's introduced.

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

copy posted:

started up synecdoche and the "cayden does that feel terrible" "yep" lol

lol her response of "ok, good"

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

All the scenes with Hope Davis are so good. She's a standout which is high praise given the stellar casting. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Philip Seymour Hoffman's phenomenal performance. I don't think anyone else could have portrayed bourgeois malaise as well as he did. Though the film was pretty bleak from the outset, it was lifted up by a good sense of humor (the burning house, the airplane scene, even Caden's confrontation with the now German-accented Maria). An exceptional pick

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Synecdoche, New York

jesus christ

i don't even know where to begin. a film constantly hurtling forward but still slowly trudging toward the two absolute ends of Caden's life, the physical back end but also the mental deep end. there were parts and lines i laughed at but they pretty much disappeared by the halfway mark, not that there weren't bleakly humorous instances afterwards but at that point i was just feeling emotionally decimated by this man's life unraveling even as he throws himself deeper and deeper into his magnum opus until everything's a blur. ending is absolutely haunting. becoming an actor in one's own life is like, one of those things i could laugh at but it's presented so tragically that i'm kinda horrified.. also discovered through researching something else while typing this that Caden's last name is based off Cotard's syndrome i.e. "a rare mental disorder in which the affected person holds the delusional belief that they are dead" which basically hits the nail on the head, though i definitely wouldn't call it delusional in Caden's case, if not on the actual physical case than his mental state and social/marital states decaying sometimes in real time

all in all it's one of those few movies where i unequivocally loved it but i don't think i can ever watch it again, but also the first of those where i feel like i'll eventually need to in order to grasp the true scope of what Kaufman put on display. this is also likely the worst movie i could've chosen to watch on a monday morning before work

9.5/10

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the scene of him adding artificial tears and then immediately crying was amazing. 9/10.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the scene of him adding artificial tears and then immediately crying was amazing. 9/10.

so many big laughs i forgot about. i died when he's like 'you can stay in my parents' room' and it's covered in blood

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

biggest laugh i had that i don't think was mentioned yet: "Is it serious?" "We don't know, but yes."

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

worst movie doctors of all time imo

copy
Jul 26, 2007

symbolic posted:

biggest laugh i had that i don't think was mentioned yet: "Is it serious?" "We don't know, but yes."

lol "you can't say or you can't say if you can't say?" "i can't say"

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
the man is so disconnected from his family that he needed to read his daughters diary to find out that a little girl likes the color pink

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

man this was a great movie

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

elf help book posted:

the man is so disconnected from his family that he needed to read his daughters diary to find out that a little girl likes the color pink

lmfao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

lmao yup

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao the nose box sitting out in the garbage

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fungah! posted:

lmao the nose box sitting out in the garbage

i love the nose box, it feels like a nichijou gag

copy
Jul 26, 2007

elf help book posted:

lol

prob reading too much into this but i like how i mainly remember all the different funny poo poo about this movie instead of just the horrible stark tragedy of it a week later. it's weirdly like mourning in that way

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

symbolic posted:

worst movie doctors of all time imo

it's refreshing to see a movie that acknowledges that going to the doctor loving sucks

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

There's so many great bits that go by so quickly that you barely have time to process them while you're watching. I liked the part where he was too shy to go to the bathroom in front of the plumber, so he pisses in a sink in front of his family instead.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lmfao Michelle Williams revealing a full back tattoo and he just throws up his hands "well, I've never seen that before"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

lmfao Michelle Williams revealing a full back tattoo and he just throws up his hands "well, I've never seen that before"

lol that got me good

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

rodbeard posted:

There's so many great bits that go by so quickly that you barely have time to process them while you're watching. I liked the part where he was too shy to go to the bathroom in front of the plumber, so he pisses in a sink in front of his family instead.

that plumber has seen boy parts before

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

lmfao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

lmao

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

rodbeard posted:

plus that his piss is dark brown, an actual symptom for once, and he doesn't even see it.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

lmao i cackled

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

plus that his piss is dark brown, an actual symptom for once, and he doesn't even see it.

that straight up shocked me lol, looked like tht scene in breaking bad where walts on chemo and his piss is a burnt umber

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The hardest laugh I got was Olive forcing him to explicitly apologize for abandoning her to have anal sex with his boyfriend, even though he didn’t and never stopped trying to reconnect with her, just so he could make peace before her passing, then when he asks if she could ever forgive him she just sobs, says no, and dies immediately

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Punished Chuck posted:

The hardest laugh I got was Olive forcing him to explicitly apologize for abandoning her to have anal sex with his boyfriend, even though he didn’t and never stopped trying to reconnect with her, just so he could make peace before her passing, then when he asks if she could ever forgive him she just sobs, says no, and dies immediately

thinking back that scene was pretty funny but in the midst of watching the film as a whole it was just a scene that made me hate what Caden was going through even more. same with Sammy handing him a brochure to Adele's art exhibit and saying something like "here, this'll make you feel much more depressed :)". guess that's how powerful a film it is that it can make you feel both humored and troubled so effortlessly depending on when you're thinking about it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

elf help book posted:

lmao it does

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Punished Chuck posted:

i was laughing the whole way through that scene and it kept getting funnier and funnier. the absurdity really overwhelmed the sadness there imo
thats a thing this movie is really good at. no one is winking or acting silly or doing slapstick. every1 is a main character in their own lives, like they talk ab, and poo poo is happening to them and their reacting accordingly. its only us, as outside observers, that laugh at how hosed up and ridiculous the situations they have to live with are. sometimes ive heard friends of mine philosophizing about how some perfect alien watching from the moon could be curious and observe our lives and laugh at how insane the routines we take for granted are, and this movie might be the best way of capturing what we would be thinking as that alien

copy posted:

lol

prob reading too much into this but i like how i mainly remember all the different funny poo poo about this movie instead of just the horrible stark tragedy of it a week later. it's weirdly like mourning in that way

also, yeah, this. the movie has a lot of depressing bits including the ending but the funny poo poo sticks out more in the memory and i think its designed that way.

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol hell yeah

Fucker posted:

i was laughing the whole way through that scene and it kept getting funnier and funnier. the absurdity really overwhelmed the sadness there imo
thats a thing this movie is really good at. no one is winking or acting silly or doing slapstick. every1 is a main character in their own lives, like they talk ab, and poo poo is happening to them and their reacting accordingly. its only us, as outside observers, that laugh at how hosed up and ridiculous the situations they have to live with are. sometimes ive heard friends of mine philosophizing about how some perfect alien watching from the moon could be curious and observe our lives and laugh at how insane the routines we take for granted are, and this movie might be the best way of capturing what we would be thinking as that alien

also, yeah, this. the movie has a lot of depressing bits including the ending but the funny poo poo sticks out more in the memory and i think its designed that way.

"everyone is a main character in their own lives" is a huge theme and i dug that, especially because our main pov in the film is a dude who seems obsessed in not giving any direction to his own life. cayden almost feels like somebody who wants to be that alien but he's too there and too affected by everybody else.

movie gets better the more i think/talk about it