Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i want to know more about the guy who walked wrong whats his story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

It's time for a new movie, as picked by rodbeard

Streets Of Fire - dir. by Walter Hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEOvn2IaLMM

quote:

A mercenary is hired to rescue his ex-girlfriend, a singer who has been kidnapped by a motorcycle gang.

This movie is available for rent on the following.

It can also be found for streaming on archive.org.

This movie will expire on December 4th.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

STONE COLD 64 posted:

It's time for a new movie, as picked by rodbeard

Streets Of Fire - dir. by Walter Hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEOvn2IaLMM

This movie is available for rent on the following.

It can also be found for streaming on archive.org.

This movie will expire on December 4th.

Nice I always wanted to watch the inspiration for like every brawler game

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Streets of fire is dope

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

streets of fire is an interesting movie. willem dafoe is his usual completely wacked out self here, similar to his similar roles in movies like To Live And Die In LA, the rest of the cast feels weak tho. the aesthetic does a lot of heavy lifting for the movie with it being this ugly, grimy mashup of 1950s and 1970s america that somehow just feels right and plays right into walter hill's wheelhouse. it's no warriors but it stands on its own two feet i think. it certainly has a lot of style but the action seems to be kept fairly brief when it does occur. i normally dont feel this way but i think the movie could have used another half hour of action fleshing the pacing out, there is too much focusing on tom cody's inability to get along with ellen without really exploring why beyond their clash of personality. rick moranis was decent here but this didnt feel like anything special for him, basically channeling his spaceballs character with his performance. there's something with McCoy, probably the most interesting character in the movie, that i felt could have been explored but after a strong introduction she really falls to the wayside as the narrative just focuses in on Tom and Ellen's relationship. all in all, i thought it was decent, if you're just looking for something easy and cool to watch this is good for that, but it isn't going to have any staying power with me. 6.5/10

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 21, 2023

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I love Streets of Fire. It was the first 4K I watched at home and it looked fantastic. It's a lot of fun as a weird rock opera, definitely doesn't pay to spend a lot of time thinking about the plot. It was also great to see a young Willem Dafoe. Fun fact: Michael Paré didn't know how to drive when he took the role.

Sir Mat of Dickie fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 22, 2023

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Bacurau

I think i largely agree what the other posts have said on this, a bit drawn out, the near future stuff is odd, some ideas kinda just flow in and out of the movie sometimes for good effect sometimes for poor people slowly moving back into the town, the mayor supplying drugs vs the natural psychotropic they choose to take, the one guy having viral internet videos of his kills that everyone loves

the hunters having a score system was an odd detail, like i get how using that reinforces how they dehumanize these people, but they take it less seriously than an office party game and they also just have multiple corny scenes of them just saying it out loud 'well i wanted to kill my wife but she left so thisll be good enough...' if the movie followed them having success more and taking it seriously, i could see it being very cold and grim to have the score system, here its just another cartoon detail piled on. but hell maybe this is how rich people on safari hunts killing elephants act

despite that i did quite like the perspective shift halfway through, the movie becoming a horror film where the villains are the victims. even goofy thin written villains are fun to see walk into traps. i wish there was more of this.

the guy with the guitar taunting the motorcycle people is great

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bacurau

I think this kinda hits closer to home bc while I live on a big city, my parents came from a small village just like the one pictured and it really does a good job st picturing the actual picturesque sense of community in those places, community that helps them stand together even when dealing with the total lack of care of authorities like the mayor or the outside threat like the hunters. notice that lunga, despite his violence and being a wanted criminal is nevertheless a member of the community and indeed readily agrees to help them as they can't get anyone from the outside to do it.

Another social commentary is the sort of divide between the northeast region and the richer south, you see that with those two southern Brazilians who consider themselves closer to the gringo hunters than to their countrymen due to this sense of racial and economic superiority between them

One director that has heavily inspired the movie btw was John Carpenter. There is even one of his music tracks on the movie, and the entire movie, premise and execution is really reminiscent of one of his most overlooked movies which was Assault on Precint 77th, and you can really see that DNA on the movie itself.

I do agree with the others that it does some meandering but I think it's mostly for setting up the entirety of the community which I think is important but there were a few dropped threads which I think should be picked on.

8/10

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
i did like how it had a sort of the thing inspired intro that looked like it was shot from an alien perspective, and then the "ufo" showed up later, but it ended up being a fake out. that was a pretty slick homage.

thanks for the epic sig el spider

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Bacurau

I think this kinda hits closer to home bc while I live on a big city, my parents came from a small village just like the one pictured and it really does a good job st picturing the actual picturesque sense of community in those places, community that helps them stand together even when dealing with the total lack of care of authorities like the mayor or the outside threat like the hunters. notice that lunga, despite his violence and being a wanted criminal is nevertheless a member of the community and indeed readily agrees to help them as they can't get anyone from the outside to do it.

Another social commentary is the sort of divide between the northeast region and the richer south, you see that with those two southern Brazilians who consider themselves closer to the gringo hunters than to their countrymen due to this sense of racial and economic superiority between them

One director that has heavily inspired the movie btw was John Carpenter. There is even one of his music tracks on the movie, and the entire movie, premise and execution is really reminiscent of one of his most overlooked movies which was Assault on Precint 77th, and you can really see that DNA on the movie itself.

I do agree with the others that it does some meandering but I think it's mostly for setting up the entirety of the community which I think is important but there were a few dropped threads which I think should be picked on.

8/10

wait was the weird synthwave song played during the funeral a john carpenter track? thats cool

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fucker posted:

i did like how it had a sort of the thing inspired intro that looked like it was shot from an alien perspective, and then the "ufo" showed up later, but it ended up being a fake out. that was a pretty slick homage.

You should have noticed that the name of the school building was João Carpinteiro too lol

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 22, 2023

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Plutonis posted:

You should have noticed that the name of the school building was João Carpinteiro too lol

lmao
i didnt actually realize it was inspired by john carpenter until i read ab it after, but thats a good bit

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plutonis posted:

lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Plutonis posted:

lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sat down and watched my pick Bacurau. On rewatch its fun picking out all the foreshadowing like the screen wipe when the teacher pulls down the old map of Bacurau, leading right into the introduction of the mayor who pulls up with a couple caskets in his truck. I think the reason this movie really stuck with me is because its a really modern western, you've got the townspeople threatened by outlaws, the local toughs, but now they've got video compilations and one of the outsiders is a fuckin gun bae youtuber. and at the end they're all taking phone photos of the dead mercenaries. i also like its use of out of style filmmaking techniques like screen wipes and split diopter shots, which makes it feel even more like an old western. didn't catch the Carpenter references the first time I watched it so thanks for bringing that up Plutonis. its obvious the filmmakers had a lot of love for the subjects, leading to its deliberate pacing, but I really enjoyed the villagers interactions. their trust and respect for each other was a great contrast to the patronizing mayor, who is an all-timer cinematic slimeball.
some random thoughts

loved taht the ufo/drone first appears dipping into the frame like an errant boom mic

the southern Brazilians come off as bigger rubes than the Bacarauans

udo kier is great and his entrance is sick, also i was laughing at the end when he dopily sticks the gun in his mouth

the interior of the mercenaries base looks like the inside of the house in Thirst

the reveal of the missing guns in the museum is so sick

was laughing at the guy wearing tactical oakleys and a backwards ballcap talking about how he was going to shoot up his ex-wife and a mall but god told him not to. seemed like a direct response to that badass mercenary guy photo from years back

still like this movie a lot!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

the reveal of the missing guns in the museum is so sick

yeah the "secret" of whats inside the museum is real good

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
i liked bacurau quite a bit, went in wild directions i wasnt expecting from just the amazon video description

i was subverted a lot, at first with the ufo drone thinking aliens, then when the villains are introduced thinking it was that old urban legend that hitler went to south america and thinking maybe all the racial profiling and killing was some sort of nazi project, then getting immediately rebuffed when i learned that the german guy was american, i kept getting whiplash from wondering where the plot was going to lead next it was fun

it sounds like a dated joke to say the ending of the movie was my favorite part but how quickly the american safari hunters/mercenaries for the mayor candidate get dispatched was both really funny to me but also kind of sad how ultimately pathetic as both fighters and people they were

that was some seriously sociopathic poo poo

also the first two that get blown away by the naked old man gardener and his wife made me lol pretty hard

it didnt drag for me at all and i liked all the buildup, it was neat to see how the bacaraunians(lol) live

9/10 for me

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
streets of fire

this is the cheesiest movie i have ever seen lol. speed racer got nothing on this. lots of cool shots and some good music, but every line is cornier than the last and i hate every character in this movie. the lead knock out punching the love interest just so he can get away from her was a crazy rear end moment
theres this cool part where the lead punches dafoe a bunch, and then it looks like hes still standing, but the lead just pushes him away and hes down. some cool explosions as well. but i didnt like this. too cheesy for my blood.
i was surprised when i went to look this movie up after seeing it and it turns out its from the same guy that did the warriors. dude, this looks like some other random rear end director decided to rip the warriors off cause it was successful.
rick moranis deserves better than this script
2/5

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it's my turn now

Rocky - dir. by John G. Avildsen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hk-LYcavrw

quote:

A small-time Philadelphia boxer gets a supremely rare chance to fight the world heavyweight champion in a bout in which he strives to go the distance for his self-respect.
This film will expire December 11th.

Rocky is available for streaming on the following.

It is also available on archive.org

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Yo Adrian!!! (just a little inside humor, iykyk ;))

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I quote Paulie every time I go to the zoo

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

love that guy

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Bacurau-

I'm really glad I went into this movie blind. This was really not the direction I was expecting the movie to go in based on the beginning. The plot feels like a cross between Assault on Precinct 13 and The Most Dangerous Game. Udo Kier is one of those actors that just puts in an amazing performance no matter what the role is.

4/5

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I am also turning in Bacurau late, it was really drat good though. Some solid vibes and love that its got a neo-western feel to it. I also thought it was cool how the movie is centered more around the community over just one character. Lunga whipped a lot of rear end, love that mullet.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Streets of Fire could have been better, but the lead looked like he would rather take a nap than be in that movie. Also, the dialogue was corny as hell. I thought the rest of the cast did fairly well with what they had to work with, though. Elizabeth Daily just adds herself to the movie for some reason. I enjoyed the Lynne Thigpen cameo. Can definitely see the influence this movie had on the kunio-kun games. Soft not recommend

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

STREETS OF FIRE

Really had no idea what to expect from this one, but the 80s 50s is great fun, especially in Walter Hill's style. Diane Lane and the Davids Byrne had a pretty good opening number, music through the whole movie was great actually. If anything I just wanted more of it. And I was kind of baffled at Rick Moranis being in this and playing it completely straight lol. greaser rammstein vampire Willem Dafoe looks rad and insane, Michael Pare is incredibly flat and dull but half the time that kind of works at making the whole thing feel more like cheesy noir pulp fiction. I don't know if that was intentional at all though lol. also lmao'd for some reason at moranis shrieking "what the hell is that?!?" at Ed Begley Jr

Very fun, can absolutely see why it bombed but I enjoyed it. 3/5 vhs tapes

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

streets of fire

goofy as hell. i hated the lead so much, he's wooden as hell and fuckin sucks. dafoe was the saving grace of this movie. 2/5

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

that movie would have done a lot better with more dafoe

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

that movie would have done a lot better with more dafoe

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Streets of Fire was mostly enjoyable but has a lot of flaws.

Pare pushed the tough guy routine a bit too hard, ruining the movie's attempts to give Cody any depth. Rick Moranis is also a miscast, fine in the scenes where he's not hostile to the rest of the group but the hostile scenes are the bulk of his screen time; should've toned it down or got someone more suited to the role. Dafoe is great as always. The fan of Ellen doesn't really add anything to the movie and she might as well have been cut Rest of the cast is perfectly acceptable.

I feel like the main problem is it doesn't really commit to any of its ideas strongly enough. Flesh out the musical aspect a bit more with another song or two or fill a lull in the action with a quick fight with some no-name Bomber grunts. And cut the romance aspect since Lane and Pare have zero chemistry.

Not sure if Streets of Fire merits a C+ or B- but I'm leaning towards C+ since while I liked it I spent most of my post-watch thinking about how it could've been better.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Rocky

"Sounds like a drat monster movie"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Going to suggest that certain posters be taken to the zoo from now on

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Going to suggest that certain posters be taken to the zoo from now on

You'd love the zoo

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

rocky

one of the greatest ever. 5/5

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Streets of Fire

i wouldn't say i hated it but it left pretty much zero impact on me. i know people praised Defoe as like the one non-wooden or miscast actor and i agree but to be honest even he wasn't much of a saving grace for me, he didn't have as much screentime as i wanted til the final confrontation and had some real Elliot Rodger-rear end dialogue early on. i also wanted to punch Rick Moranis in the head whenever he opened his mouth, trying to be an assertive dickhead while dolled up as Buddy Holly just didn't work at all. all the romance stuff felt real forced too, and i wish there was more action than there was since there were a lot more scenes of the cast just tryin to be tough and badass while quipping at each other which usually fell flat. on the positive side of things, the music was a great mix of 50s doo-wop and 70s Meatloaf-esque AOR and the beginning and ending concert scenes were both among my favorites overall, i liked the anachronistic atmosphere of it being not quite the 80s but also not quite the 50s, and the action and forced badass-ery was usually so over the top it made me laugh, especially Cody stopping a bus with his hand and barely flinching which had me howling lmao. still though, a pretty big letdown after being floored by The Warriors, and i usually like turn your brain off action movies from this era. just a lotta shortcomings in the end.

5/10

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

i also wanted to punch Rick Moranis in the head whenever he opened his mouth

i want to apologize for this statement as i genuinely forgot that actually happened until just now

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

symbolic posted:

i want to apologize for this statement as i genuinely forgot that actually happened until just now

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

streets of rage. pros: reminded me of the warriors and escape from new york. cons: wish i was watchin escape from new york or the warriors instead. cool aesthetic, good soundtrack, most of th movies characters i dont like who are theoretically working together sniping at each other. liked cody stopping the bus with his bare hands, liked willem dafoe, otherwise eh it was fine. decent pick imo, ★★

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Streets of Fire

honestly checked part way in to see if i wasnt watching a failed tv pilot by the same name on accident

everyone except defoe delivers their lines flat and fast, absolutely alien. Pare is the worst off because he seems to have some sort of neurological condition where his entire face and body freeze up as he talks.

theres an obvious emphasis on music between the performances, style, and the soundtrack throughout, but i felt like most of the non-performed music just fell flat and didnt help any of the scenes. the retro 50s 80s just felt odd to me and not cool or exciting, didn't go far enough so it was just confusing for a bit instead of stylish. much of the action editing was rushed and clunky

liked seeing baby defoe, liked bill paxton as motherfucker mike as the bartender