Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Some of the scripting not having a bunch of hooks can lead to some situations. One of the ones I personally ran into was the "Once in a Blue Moon" thing, where you take Mi-an out for lunch because drat girl, you're a workaholic, take a loving break before you break. So Owen came over and was all "oh hey, I didn't know you're a couple, we got a couples discount :)" and trying to wingman me, and it's like drat dude, you know I'm dating Catori, I have taken her here more than once. But the programming to recognize "you're in a relationship with someone else" isn't there (which is understandable, only so many hours in a day), so here we are.

Which makes me wonder if he says anything when you show up with Mi-an while you're dating him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

MechaCrash posted:

Some of the scripting not having a bunch of hooks can lead to some situations. One of the ones I personally ran into was the "Once in a Blue Moon" thing, where you take Mi-an out for lunch because drat girl, you're a workaholic, take a loving break before you break. So Owen came over and was all "oh hey, I didn't know you're a couple, we got a couples discount :)" and trying to wingman me, and it's like drat dude, you know I'm dating Catori, I have taken her here more than once. But the programming to recognize "you're in a relationship with someone else" isn't there (which is understandable, only so many hours in a day), so here we are.

Which makes me wonder if he says anything when you show up with Mi-an while you're dating him.

Says the same thing, just with tears in his eyes.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

Spoilers for stuff around A Bridge Too Far main quest

I really do enjoy how these characters develop, I mean, what the hell, I did NOT expect Elsie to get a glow up like that this game is great lmao

I was honestly pleasantly surprised to see a character get a full blown class change like that, it was great.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i kind of wish she had left earlier and been gone for longer. that dramatic change took about three days.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

She was gone a while for me.

Pulsarcat posted:

I was honestly pleasantly surprised to see a character get a full blown class change like that, it was great.

Especially since this genre has a real problem with characters who are stuck in a rut or young people who want to do something but then never you know do it. Looking at you Stardew Valley.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i kind of wish she had left earlier and been gone for longer. that dramatic change took about three days.

Yeah I think it would have worked a lot better this way. And it's not like the devs aren't willing to take a character out of the story for prolonged periods even if it puts the player's ability to interact with them on hold. Nia, Grace, Miguel and Logan all have significant portions of the game where they're MIA despite all being romancable!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Megazver posted:

Do you mean Pen? You can't marry him, apparently, he's a fuckboy. He just rejects you every time. It's on Youtube.

I meant Miguel, lol no idea why I said Pierre that's not a character in this.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Especially since this genre has a real problem with characters who are stuck in a rut or young people who want to do something but then never you know do it. Looking at you Stardew Valley.

Yeah, it's an unfortunate effect of many of these game not having an overall story and wanting to keep dateable characters, well, dateable no matter how much time the player spends with the game.

Which is why having an actual game long story is a huge advantage for Sandrock, since it allows townsfolk to actually do things and have character moments that aren't tied to their relationship with the player character.

The townsfolk wouldn't be a fraction as great as they are if the only time they had a scene is when you've shoved enough presents down their throats.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

A Sometimes Food posted:

It was about a day for me, and then the day after she came back I got a letter from her that was definitely meant to be sent in between lol. She had a very eventful 24 hours.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

It was about a day for me, and then the day after she came back I got a letter from her that was definitely meant to be sent in between lol. She had a very eventful 24 hours.

Probably tied to story progression stuff. I think I'd gotten slack on upgrading/making money and took time off from the story around when she left. So she stayed away for a week or two.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I got engaged to Amirah since Spring finally ended, I didn't expect the game to let you pick a list of little nicknames your partner can call you. This game's just so drat cute.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Probably tied to story progression stuff. I think I'd gotten slack on upgrading/making money and took time off from the story around when she left. So she stayed away for a week or two.

Makes sense, I usually do the main quest stuff as soon as it pops up.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

FireWorksWell posted:

I got engaged to Amirah since Spring finally ended, I didn't expect the game to let you pick a list of little nicknames your partner can call you. This game's just so drat cute..
There’s a gift item that lets you do that I think.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah, the mysterious man sells them but I figured it was just a text thing; there's different voicelines, though.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Wow the story is getting really good! Some questions-

So I learn that there's this secret facility under sandrock, and that Miguel and Pen were working for Duvos all along. Does that mean the oasis never really existed? The water came from some magic relic water machine? And that Yan's participation was running some scam to gouge everyone on the price of water?

And Mason was in on this too? Is that the real reason he left perhaps? Yan also had a voice line insinuating he was looking to hire a replacement eventually, suggesting that he was going to hightail it out of there with all the money he embezzled from the town.

How much did Matilda really know? Grace mentions the builder rescued her before Logan could get anything useful, but if she wasn't in on the conspiracy then no amount of "torture" would help them.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

When you get married you can set the nickname for free. That item is to change it later.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Panfilo posted:

Wow the story is getting really good! Some questions-

So I learn that there's this secret facility under sandrock, and that Miguel and Pen were working for Duvos all along. Does that mean the oasis never really existed? The water came from some magic relic water machine? And that Yan's participation was running some scam to gouge everyone on the price of water?

And Mason was in on this too? Is that the real reason he left perhaps? Yan also had a voice line insinuating he was looking to hire a replacement eventually, suggesting that he was going to hightail it out of there with all the money he embezzled from the town.

How much did Matilda really know? Grace mentions the builder rescued her before Logan could get anything useful, but if she wasn't in on the conspiracy then no amount of "torture" would help them.

Keep on playing a bit and you'r questions will be answered.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I feel like Miguel being Duvos-aligned is the least surprising thing in the game. Being that he wears what looks like Duvos military attire.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like Miguel being Duvos-aligned is the least surprising thing in the game. Being that he wears what looks like Duvos military attire.

I do appreciate that there ends up being way more nuance to it, in that he has a very tangible reason for being bitter about the Free Cities and he effectively gets groomed into believing his own ideology aligned neatly with Duvos'. Then once it all comes to a head and he's forced to confront the fact he's been played by Duvos, he goes through gradual but genuine introspection over everything he's done. And also like, he isn't exactly wrong that the New World is rapidly becoming more and more militarized off the back of the old world tech that almost wiped everybody out in the first place, even if his attempts to do something about it were woefully misguided.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

I'm pretty sure he's just dressed like (and is named after) Michael Jackson, sigh.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
random thoughts on all the Bachelorettes because no one can stop me

MILD SPOILERS AHEAD

I DON'T FEEL LIKE SPOILERBLOCKING AN ENTIRE POST

Amirah - Her schtick is that she's super gorgeous and shy, but most of her competition is at least as pretty as her and, just between you and me, she doesn't have a lot going for her beyond that. Also, what is that accent? WHAT. IS. THAT. ACCENT. Stop it!

Catori - Look, she is OBJECTIVELY the hottest looking woman in this town. Yowza, arooga, cartoon wolf sounds, milf detector horn blaring, etc. Unfortunately she's also a goober loser who only finally lucks out because a one person infrastructure-building-machine possessed by an Eldritch entity that's hyperfocused on building poo poo rolls into town and singlehandedly saves her rear end. (Also, her kid is a charisma black hole; Jazz and Andy are cute and funny, Arlo alas is very mid as kids go.) I still simp her, though.

Elsie - Very cute and pretty funny, but feels a bit too young, even after she 'grows up'. That said, dated her anyway and there is some cute funny stuff there if you do.

Grace - I started liking her even before the big reveals, because they showed her being a very sharp, no-nonsense gal, and that's appealing! (Btw, random shout out to how good this game is at characterizing everyone!) Then she got even cooler... and she's easy on the eyes... and she even learns to cook, eventually! What a gal!

Heidi - She's, like, fine. If she was the only person I could date, I wouldn't mind. I did so many commissions for her that she just showed up at my doorstep one day fairly early on and was, like, I've pencilled in you becoming my GF today in my day planner, so let's do it! I was like, um ok I guess. Then that was kinda it for Heidi content.

Jane - I dated her up just in case, because why not, and hoo boy she's a theater nerd. She's a BIG theater nerd. It's a bit much, tbh.

Mi-An - Precious smol bean. Best girl. Every time I see her Naruto run past me it puts a smile on my face.

Nia - Don't tell Mi-An, but she's also best girl. She looks adorable, and she's smart and nice, and she's already your bestie, and you can tease her and she'll tease you back. (And I think there's a bit more date-y content for her than the other girls. She's the only one who had a special "will you marry me" dialogue response at the end of one of the missions.) Very strong late contender!

Venti - Look, Venti. You're kinda cute, in a wet puppy sort of way, and I appreciate that you're really friendly, and I'm sorry you've had a rough life before Sandrock, but you're barely a person atm. I wish there were more missions where I could be the same kind of supportive friend to you I was to Fang, but I don't want to pity-date you.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I don't think I've actually talked to Venti outside of like my first week, commissions never pushed me towards her

Semirelated but it's kinda hosed up that when you get married you can tell Nia that you used to have a crush on her, and now you'll never know how it could have gone lol, I wanted to see how she'd respond but I couldn't do it myself

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Venti seems cool, but I'm too dang grinding to make up my mind about leaving the bachelor lifestyle. Mi-an owns a lot though

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Megazver posted:

random thoughts on all the Bachelorettes because no one can stop me

Megazver posted:

Amirah

Catori

It's so interesting to hear your views on Amirah and Catori. For me, Amirah's accent doesn't bother me but Catori's is driving me loving crazy. It feels like Catori's accent is the weirdest blend of New Jersey and Minnesota. Amirah's accent is very tame in comparison. Also, Amirah please stop talking about your brother for a single loving moment.

When it comes to bachelorettes, I currently categorize them as this:

Mi-an - Best Girl
Nia - Also Best Girl
Grace - She's cool
Heidi - She's boring
Jane - She hasn't arrived in the story yet
Catori - She's hot with an awful accent
Amirah - She's hot with an okay accent (STOP TALKING ABOUT YOUR BROTHER)
Elsie - She's a child
Venti - She's also a child

FireWorksWell posted:

I don't think I've actually talked to Venti outside of like my first week, commissions never pushed me towards her

I actually had a hilarious situation with Venti. She has a quest where she's like "Hey, why don't we go hang out at the scrap yard tonight. I'll get you in for free!" And I kept being like "Nah, it's okay." because I was fine paying the scrapyard fee. Then she's like "No no, for real, come hang out at the scrapyard tonight, its FREE! My boss won't even know!" and I responded with something like "Really, it's okay, you don't have to." And that just ended the quest. And that questline is mandatory to romance her.

So I unintentionally locked myself out of any Venti story because I didn't feel like sneaking into the scrap yard without paying.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 6, 2023

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

look, I don't know how much clearer I can be than "scrapyard and chill"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you're gonna give Catori guff for her failing upwards, then Amirah and Arvio deserve their fair share too. Amirah least, she's competent and good at her craft and art, just not business minded and for a while splitting attention too much, but without Builder intervention things were not in a good trajectory even relative to the town.

Arvio though lol, especially since the game has perks for discounts after spending a certain amount that's actually kind of hard to reach even at his prices, just weak selection. Aside from occasionally filling up on salt and butter or whatever, I think paint was the only thing I used his shop for. His bad business plan quests were fun though and he's affable enough I hold no malice towards his business, if anything I feel obligated to support it even though town might be just fine without it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

fancy stats posted:

look, I don't know how much clearer I can be than "scrapyard and chill"

She should have handled it better then!!!

Sandrock posted:

Venti:Since we're already good friends, I must give you special treatment! For example, next time you come to dig for scrap in our salvaging company's scrap yard, there won't be any charge!

Me:Does your boss know about this?

Venti: Don't worry, our boss Rocky also admires you. He'll definitely agree. So it's settled. If you want to dig for scrap next time without a pass, come find me. I'll take you in. Just don't tell the other Builders.

Then I spoke to her again and it goes went like this:

Sandrock posted:

Venti: Do you want to go to our company's scrap yard? I'll take you there, okay? For free!

Me: You don't need to do this...

Game: QUEST CHAIN OVER. PERMANENTLY LOCKED OUT FROM VENTI QUESTS.

I'm just not comfortable with this proposition!!!! :argh:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

"Scrap." You keep saying "scrap." That's derogatory. It's got a negative connotation. This is a salvage yard.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MechaCrash posted:

Although speaking of Amirah, I ran into a slight problem with her. My initial plan was "hit on all the girls, then marry Nia when she comes back into town." Except I started really liking Catori, and wound up having to break it off with Heidi and Venti (Heidi was angry and disappointed, Venti was devastated :(), that's how these things go. But I had Amirah's "become #1 and take her on four dates" side mission, and if there's a way to drop it, I don't know what it is. Getting top rank workshop is going to happen, and the only time it's ever really a question is the first month because you're still tooling up and can only take one commission per day anyway, but I still had the mission and had to take her on four dates.

So I had to take her on four dates, and then at the end, tell her I didn't want this anymore, so she called me an rear end in a top hat. I didn't want to play these games with her heart, but I was trapped by mechanics. :negative:

I'm in this situation. I accepted her condition because Amirah is in my "short list" of people I'm interested in (alongside Mi-an and Grace) and I was afraid of losing the opportunity, but I don't want to commit to anyone yet (my initial top choice was Grace and she hasn't even gotten a chance to do anything yet).

Is it maybe an option to just indefinitely put off hanging out with her 4 times? Or does she require you hang out with her each week?

Mordiceius posted:

It's so interesting to hear your views on Amirah and Catori. For me, Amirah's accent doesn't bother me but Catori's is driving me loving crazy. It feels like Catori's accent is the weirdest blend of New Jersey and Minnesota. Amirah's accent is very tame in comparison. Also, Amirah please stop talking about your brother for a single loving moment.

When it comes to bachelorettes, I currently categorize them as this:

Mi-an - Best Girl
Nia - Also Best Girl
Grace - She's cool
Heidi - She's boring
Jane - She hasn't arrived in the story yet
Catori - She's hot with an awful accent
Amirah - She's hot with an okay accent (STOP TALKING ABOUT YOUR BROTHER)
Elsie - She's a child

I play with the Chinese dub and Amirah's voice is extremely nice in Chinese. If a voice could be described as "pretty," that's basically her Chinese dub voice. It's probably like half of the reason I started considering her, when she wasn't originally someone I was looking at much. The other half is that her friend group seems cool.

I kinda wish I actually knew Chinese so I could pick up on any sort of dialect/vocabulary differences, though (if there are any in the first place).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 7, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Is it maybe an option to just indefinitely put off hanging out with her 4 times? Or does she require you hang out with her each week?

You can take your time with both of those goals.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Khanstant posted:

If you're gonna give Catori guff for her failing upwards, then Amirah and Arvio deserve their fair share too. Amirah least, she's competent and good at her craft and art, just not business minded and for a while splitting attention too much, but without Builder intervention things were not in a good trajectory even relative to the town.

Arvio though lol, especially since the game has perks for discounts after spending a certain amount that's actually kind of hard to reach even at his prices, just weak selection. Aside from occasionally filling up on salt and butter or whatever, I think paint was the only thing I used his shop for. His bad business plan quests were fun though and he's affable enough I hold no malice towards his business, if anything I feel obligated to support it even though town might be just fine without it.

I bet if you marry Amirah you get stuck with Arvio crashing on your couch when he gets behind on rent lol.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Joke's on him there's only two beds and some festival float in my tiny rear end house

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Maybe they let you build him his very own coop.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
It really is a struggle balancing catori being objectively both the hottest and stupidest accent.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

It really is a struggle balancing catori being objectively both the hottest and stupidest accent.

I wish I could loving figure out what kind of accent she's doing. At least with Amirah, it sounds like she's doing something that's vaguely almost British adjacent.

For Catori, is it a New Jersey accent? A Minnesota accent? A Wisconsin accent? A New York accent? A Bostin accent?

Like, I don't want to go so far to say I think the voice actor's performance is bad, I just find the accent intensely uncomfortable.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

I wish I could loving figure out what kind of accent she's doing. At least with Amirah, it sounds like she's doing something that's vaguely almost British adjacent.

For Catori, is it a New Jersey accent? A Minnesota accent? A Wisconsin accent? A New York accent? A Bostin accent?

Like, I don't want to go so far to say I think the voice actor's performance is bad, I just find the accent intensely uncomfortable.

It's extremely weird and inconsistent, and I also have no idea what it's attempting to imitate.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's an Ataran accent you clowns

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

GotLag posted:

It's an Ataran accent you clowns

:roflolmao:

Sadly, there is no clown emote.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

drat, Rocky.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hearing all this accent talk might convince me to actually play this is the sound of for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mordiceius posted:

I didn't really get this vibe from her. She's young, sure, but she's in a similar boat to the Builder and Mi-an; this is her first real gig and she's enjoying it. She has a career path - salvaging is a relatively respected job, and Rocky's planning on expanding and giving Venti more responsibility in the future. She's in a very good place in her life at the moment.

And then she meets the Builder and comes on pretty strong. Here's someone who takes the work that she and her coworkers do, and turns that work into things that benefit everyone. She wants to be a part of that (and there's a conversation to that effect where she mentions how salvagers and builders often end up together because they work closely with each other). She's awkward, and her flirting is inviting you to salvage with her. She also makes the first move for dating and marriage, but it's not something that happens unless the Builder reciprocates and shows interest as well.

I don't know, she feels a lot more like someone who is in the first phase of their career rather than a child (like Elsie).